BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread

I think the Ryan Nelsen injury story will be confirmed shortly.

He will probably be out for two months.

I hear the scan showed the problem is near where the top of the hamstring where he had surgery last time...but is not exactly the same injury.

However it explains his form problems and means the squad is a man down for some time.

This is just backing up the BRFC Trading Co argument. Given the benefit of hindsight and a suitable replacement we should have offered him to Pompey for 6m (50% more than bid I believe) .... take it or leave it Arry. Unfortunately foresight is a far more precious commodity. History proves that the three big money sick notes Shearer, Duff and Dunn prove that there does come a time to sell.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest fernhurstblue
This is just backing up the BRFC Trading Co argument. Given the benefit of hindsight and a suitable replacement we should have offered him to Pompey for 6m (50% more than bid I believe) .... take it or leave it Arry. Unfortunately foresight is a far more precious commodity. History proves that the three big money sick notes Shearer, Duff and Dunn prove that there does come a time to sell.

we hardly had a choice over the sale of shearer and duff ..... with shearer his home club came knocking with a rather large bid, and with duff the transfer fee clause was triggered ..... the sale of dunn was probably down to a personality clash with the manager, so we can hardly say the principle reason we sold all three was that they were on the treatment table more than the pitch :rover:

How do you back this up?

Juhvel Tsomou is involved in Frankfurt's first team but was not deemed good enough for our reserves. (I think (but not sure) that Keith Barker was playing for the ressies at that time - the guy who was so bad the Cercle Brugge reserves wouldn't keep him.)

Kevin Pezzoni is playing with FC Koln's first team in friendlies. He was playing for our academy side for much of this season. He is not a great player and was shown up as a CB by his lack of pace, but he must've been doing something right to get into Germany's U21s.

Mamadi Keita, I have been told, has the potential to be a star and is the best midfield prospect at the club - I have been told. (Although, that Zenaba Francis guy is good too). If Keita joins Hamburg and plays even for their reserve team that will be evidence enough, don't you think Den.

Heck, if any of these players have better careers than Keith Barker, that'll be evidence enough.

PS. Flopsy, it's Ciaran, not Kieran Donnelly - you're suffering from a similar terminal confusion I have with Tony/Terry Darracott

so we can hardly say the principle reason we sold all three was that they were on the treatment table more than the pitch :rover:

I wasn't meaning that. I was suggesting that we sold em at max value and that they all subsequently suffered debilitating injuries after which would have cost us big time financially if we had pulled out all the stops to keep hold of them. The sales of those 3 are probably somewhere equal to what the trust has put into the club over the same time span. In other words doing that business has been like having two trusts.

Juhvel Tsomou is involved in Frankfurt's first team

Kevin Pezzoni is playing with FC Koln's first team in friendlies.

Mamadi Keita, I have been told, has the potential to be a star and is the best midfield prospect at the club - I have been told.

If Keita joins Hamburg and plays even for their reserve team that will be evidence enough, don't you think Den.

Err no.

You said that we are letting talent slip through our fingers and I asked you to back that up. You have 10 years of the academy to go back on. Is that the only evidence you've got? Are there ANY players, anywhere, plying their trade in the equivalent of the prem, that rovers released as youngsters.

Err no.

You said that we are letting talent slip through our fingers and I asked you to back that up. You have 10 years of the academy to go back on. Is that the only evidence you've got? Are there ANY players, anywhere, plying their trade in the equivalent of the prem, that rovers released as youngsters.

Carew being the nearest except that he couldn't be persuaded to even sign for us in the first place. A huge loss that! Dunno what it would have taken but we'd have had a natural replacement for Shearer on our hands. He might not have turned into a sick note playing for us either.

This is the wrong thread really, but here goes.

Rover6, or anyone else:

Since rovers won the youth cup in 1960, the number of players that have come through the youth team, to top division standard can be counted on one hand. That's including the academy and also the years when the old A and B teams played at Fenniscowles. The kids played during those years under many different coaches and many different managers. Ask yourselves one question - why have so few come through?

Answer that, and the answers' obvious, then ask - why it should be any different with the academy?

Two questions needing two answers.

Carew being the nearest except that he couldn't be persuaded to even sign for us in the first place. A huge loss that! Dunno what it would have taken but we'd have had a natural replacement for Shearer on our hands. He might not have turned into a sick note playing for us either.

Carew - a replacement for Shearer? That's ridiculous.

However it explains his form problems and means the squad is a man down for some time.

Villa are looking to offload Cahill. Would they be willing to loan him? Just as a cover measure.

he must've been doing something right to get into Germany's U21s.

If Keita joins Hamburg and plays even for their reserve team that will be evidence enough, don't you think Den.

Heck, if any of these players have better careers than Keith Barker, that'll be evidence enough.

Rigters was a star for Holland U21s, but isn't anywhere near good enough for our first team at the moment. So it doesn't always follow that they are any good.

If a player doesn't make it into someones first team then surely that is evidence that they weren't ready for the step up. Once he is a first team regular then you can claim a victory on that point.

What is the obsession you have with Barker? The guy is one player within a unit of 11. There are plenty of chances to make the reserve team if you show the ability, have the right attitude and are willing to wait. :rover:

Carew - a replacement for Shearer? That's ridiculous.

I'm not being. Do you know what the word 'ridiculous' means? Per Pederson, Nathan Blake and Ashley Ward etc were ridiculous.

Carew would have been the best striker of his type along with Chris Sutton to have played for us since Shearer left. Oh! And another thing Carew's won a lot more medals than Shearer thats for sure.

btw RSC is not that far behind those two.

CAHILL [VILLA] - they want big money and they won't loan him.

Surely no one would be stupid enough to........ah Keegan! :P

Seriously though, what is big money? The Martin O'Neill approach seems to be for selling off Villas youngsters (Cahill & Luke Moore) and paying big money for foreign replacements and West Ham rejects. Moore isn't bad value at £3.5m although his goal ratio is a bit low for a CF mind you.

Thinking about it we still have sonic the henchoz on our books so we have enough cover.

I'm not being. Do you know what the word 'ridiculous' means? Per Pederson, Nathan Blake and Ashley Ward etc were ridiculous.

Carew would have been the best striker of his type along with Chris Sutton to have played for us since Shearer left. Oh! And another thing Carew's won a lot more medals than Shearer thats for sure.

btw RSC is not that far behind those two.

Yes - Pederson, Blake and Ward weren't good enough.

Carew has got 6 goals this season - to mention him in the same breath as Shearer is wrong.

Phil Neville has won more medals than Shearer too!

Tsomou has been on the bench a couple of times for the Frankfurt Bundesliga squad (go to the match reports on Soccernet) but doesn't have a sub appearance yet. Soccernet shows him in their squad, as well.

Pezzoni is in the squad. They might be equivalent to the Championship, but we still gave him away. Should we give Gallagher away to Stoke/Preston? Should we have given Garner away to Carlisle?

I agree with your thinking American, but I am fairly sure we did get a transfer fee for Garner from Carlisle. Can't remember how much, but it was not insignificant.

I agree with your thinking American, but I am fairly sure we did get a transfer fee for Garner from Carlisle. Can't remember how much, but it was not insignificant.

Yes Fife, we did get a fee for Garner, with a sell on clause, if I remember correctly.

Wasn't it about 150k? Remember it being Carlisles record signing - then shortly after they sacked the manager!

Luke Moore is going dirt cheap at Vila, 3 or 5 million, can't remember which, but for a decent speedy English 21 year old, that is hardly anything compared to 5m for King. Guess we'll not be interested though.

Doesn't score goals does he?

Archived