BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread

The club have their side and because I don't know it, I can't reach any concrete judgments. However, it does not look good - does it. Someone is working hard to recruit these talented players from abroad and they are not being treated right by the academy and we are letting talent slip through our hands.

How do you back this up?

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We need to look extremely closely at the Academy set up.

Who's in charge there? Is it Bobby Downes? Hasn't he had more than one spell in charge?

Have we ever produced anyone whilst he's been at the helm?

You can never make chicken soup out of chicken poo no matter how good a chef you are...

Juhvel Tsomou (another German), star striker of the U18s, wanted to train with the reserves and get some more time playing for the reserves but wasn't allowed - he departed and now, still at teenager, he is involved in the Eintracht Frankfurt FIRST TEAM squad in the Bundesliga.

Pezzoni, too, is apparently involved in FC Koln's first team squad.

Mamadi Keita's situation

Tsomou has been called into the first team squad but that doesn't mean he will get a game for a while.

I'm not sure what german football standard is like in these times of hard money but i can't see it being at the same level but near.

Reading Keita's profile this is his 2nd season with the Academy! It's not like he has been here that long. Given his age wouldn't he move up next season anyway?

Maybe it is being mismanaged but they run a very tight ship down a the academy, they have to, having that many young men around. It may seem harsh at times but rules are rules and all that. If a player cannot adhere to rules then what trouble could they cause in the dressing room or in a squad?

You can never make chicken soup out of chicken poo no matter how good a chef you are...

Hard to believe every single player who's been through the academy in recent years hasn't been up to the grade. Teams like Boro, Villa and Citeh seem to be developing that side of the club at a fair old pace and with much more success than us.

:rover: ask people who go and watch the games at brockhall,problems are always arising at the academy.young garner for one,was let go,can anybody on here say this guy will not play in the premier league,13 goals in his 1st season so far :brfcsmilie:

This is getting far too sensible, thoughtful and informed for my liking... ;)

Just to let you know.

George Burley being backed off the boards for the Scotland job. I am NOT quite so sure, but don't put anything on it.

The Republic of Ireland job is a farce. There is a candidate who was due to meet them this week and has gone off on a two-week holiday...and yet he is still in the frame. So don't be expecting a result or your winnings soon.

Regardless of the amount offered for our talent? It goes without saying that we'll sell if the price is right, just like we did with Duff. Agents will always try and sell our better players anyway, no need for us to publicly state it too.

to an extent i agree but your example of duff is hardly fair. he had negotiated a clause in his contract where a certain level of offer would trigger his right to negotiate a move, at the time, none of his suitors - principally liverpool, would have dreamt of offering so much. however, Abramovich then bought chelsea and changed that.

any other rovers transfer news??

have them costa ricans come for a trial yet???

that player from metz, djiba i think he is called-how did he do???

lance davids seemed to have impressed, but cant be signed because hes at the african cup of nations..

do we have to sell to buy koumas???

with spurs after tiago-huddlestone might be available-could be worth a shout..

apparntly theres a number of clubs in gary cahill-could we be one of them??

The Republic of Ireland job is a farce. There is a candidate who was due to meet them this week and has gone off on a two-week holiday...and yet he is still in the frame. So don't be expecting a result or your winnings soon.

:rolleyes: ...yeah thanks Delaney, "we'll have a manager in place by the Brazil friendly"....now Givens is back in charge....feckin numpty! :angry:

Woy's at it again....£3million for Daniel Cousin :lol:

Great deal for Rangers. Cousin is fairly quick but his touch is almost as bad as Darchville's, and he couldn't finish his dinner. £3m is superb business, c'mon Woy make it happen.

A couple of your old boys on the move...

Neil Danns has signed for Crystal Palace and NOT Nottingham Forest as some have printed today.

Shefki Kuqi is back at Palace after Fulham somehow :lol: failed to see how good he was in a loan spell. He will be sold soon...they hope.

any other rovers transfer news??

have them costa ricans come for a trial yet???

that player from metz, djiba i think he is called-how did he do???

lance davids seemed to have impressed, but cant be signed because hes at the african cup of nations..

do we have to sell to buy koumas???

with spurs after tiago-huddlestone might be available-could be worth a shout..

apparntly theres a number of clubs in gary cahill-could we be one of them??

I thought these had already been answered with the following replies:

Costa Ricans- UK immigration rules too strict

Metz player- failed

Lance Davids- failed but has a noisy agent

Koumas- Rovers sticking on a low offer

Huddlestone- seems for sure we are interested but very unlikely Spuds are selling

We need to look extremely closely at the Academy set up.

Who's in charge there? Is it Bobby Downes? Hasn't he had more than one spell in charge?

Have we ever produced anyone whilst he's been at the helm?

Searching question, its (the academy) obviously not quite fulfilling its task which makes you begin to wonder.

They, whoever they are, told us that Treacy was one for the future but having seen him which future did they mean.

to an extent i agree but your example of duff is hardly fair. he had negotiated a clause in his contract where a certain level of offer would trigger his right to negotiate a move, at the time, none of his suitors - principally liverpool, would have dreamt of offering so much. however, Abramovich then bought chelsea and changed that.

If not fair then still highly relevant as several players in our first team seem to have clauses like that. A minimum fee release clause is just another way of saying 'we're a selling club if an offer of £XX million comes in'. Why should we sell for anything less if it's a star player?

Searching question, its (the academy) obviously not quite fulfilling its task which makes you begin to wonder.

They, whoever they are, told us that Treacy was one for the future but having seen him which future did they mean.

Actually on the contrary, i have seen Treacy play quite a few times, and have watched the Reserves quite few times, and i think we have some quality coming through - Ollson (even though he is injured) looks very good and i know he was bought. Kane is another good one, and I have also liked the look of Roystn in the central midfield !

:rover:

Actually on the contrary, i have seen Treacy play quite a few times, and have watched the Reserves quite few times, and i think we have some quality coming through - Ollson (even though he is injured) looks very good and i know he was bought. Kane is another good one, and I have also liked the look of Roystn in the central midfield !

:rover:

Interesting!

When ive seen these lads i'm thinking more championship level than premiership level but i hope your right, when i've seen the opposition at reserve level they always looked championship level at best sometimes lower than that level.

can anybody on here say this guy will not play in the premier league,13 goals in his 1st season so far

As most rovers managers will tell you. You can Never say Never in football.

I thought the main issue was with his attitude and rovers staff decided they would rather be shot than deal with his poor attitude. I'm starting to think they could have negotiated a better deal but it was a record fee for Carlisle. Just to put it in context Michael Bridges(remember him of Leeds days and now Sydney FC!) he reached roughly the same goal ratio as garner with Carlisle. I'm not sure if that means he is good or not, a bright starter that faded all to quickly. I hope Garner doesn't follow the same path and sorts himself out.

joe garner will have to prove himself in the championship before any one says he can make the premierleague..

hes scoring goals in league one-different league to championship...

billy sharp was top scorer in league one last season-hes scored about 3 goals this season in championship..

As most rovers managers will tell you. You can Never say Never in football.

I thought the main issue was with his attitude and rovers staff decided they would rather be shot than deal with his poor attitude. I'm starting to think they could have negotiated a better deal but it was a record fee for Carlisle. Just to put it in context Michael Bridges(remember him of Leeds days and now Sydney FC!) he reached roughly the same goal ratio as garner with Carlisle. I'm not sure if that means he is good or not, a bright starter that faded all to quickly. I hope Garner doesn't follow the same path and sorts himself out.

Michael Bridges was a very good player who suffered almost chronic injuries. He's not playing for Sydney FC because that's his natural level, he's playing there because he's crocked.

I think that you've got to look at the academy from 2 angles....the first and most important, is it producing premiership class players...???....No.

From the players point of view, it does seem to be quite good at producing professional footballers....which isn't a mean feet. There are lists of players who have come through and gone onto decent careers in the lower leagues. Garner is a fine example, as is Burgess and Walters.....

My son plays for a Premiership academy and the message isn't to try for the first team, it's to try and become professional....I think people forget just how hard it is to even turn pro.....

Michael Bridges was a very good player who suffered almost chronic injuries. He's not playing for Sydney FC because that's his natural level, he's playing there because he's crocked.

He played very well for Carlisle and didn't show any signs of the injuries that have followed him. Then he jumped ship the first opportunity he got and his career went backwards. There are certain players that never seem happy to settle for a club and help them go to the next level. Shame for the lad.

Joe Garner is now 19 hardly a great age and much like our German friends seem all to keen to jump ship after a short spell in the academy/reserves. You could say it's down to lack of ability by the staff to keep them or blame Hughes for not stepping in and forcing they be played.

You will always let players go who go on to do well for themselves, that's part of the game, but the majority of the time they get it spot on and they go on to do nothing. Newcastle must have kicked themselves over Shearer.

I think people forget just how hard it is to even turn pro.....

and the elite ones from around the world tend to be snapped up by bigger clubs at a very young age.

Archived