BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread

5 million for Koumas ? no chance ! Do you think celtic will pay 5 million for him ? Maybe it might be better for Hughes to save what little money he has till the summer.

I thought Souness would have been ideal for the scotland job.

You just want Scotland to be as bad as England were under McDuff don't you. ;)

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fair price I would say (and I know Marlon King is going for more but its still a fair price)

King failed his medical, which is probably a bargaining tool to knock down the price after the whole of English football started to take the wazz out of the deal.

I reckon he'll go but for less than £5m.

Name any club even slghtly close to us in size or wealth or position or whatever and they will most likely have had more players coming through.

They tend to get the odd one but most are rubbish. Other academy's tend to go for the steal them and pretend they are your own approach. :rover:

King is worth about half that fee. Shame for Watford that he failed his medical, they thought they had won the lottery.

Luke Moore strikes me as one of these strikers that gets a lot of atention at a very early age and breaks into the premiership quickly. From then on they struggle to establish themselves and soon fall down to find their real level. Think Franny Jeffers, Julian Joachim and Danny Cadamateri.

I watched Moore play recently, against Tottenham I think. He looked a little out of his depth and missed the two good chances that come his way. The commentators stated his confidence was suffering badly. There's a thread on a Villa forum here which gives the impression they're quite fond of him but not too bothered if he leaves. Personally I feel unless you're sure they're what you want, then known topflight English players are too expensive and too big a risk. There's no way we should be sniffing around Moore for a price more expensive than Benni was when we bought him and almost as much as RSC.

TP signed Alan Miller as cover, he was a half decent keeper.

If my memory serves me correct, it was actually Sven who told Rovers to sign Per Pedersen - his only goal coming away at Stamford Bridge (Correct me if i am wrong, i am thinking back here).

The Adacemy, well i am undecided on it. The likes of Duff would never have come to the Rovers had we not got one of the best set-ups in the league. It is a tool to attract people who have talent. It is a different story if they produce it quick enough.

We have had some half/decent players come from the academy:

Peter Thorne

Neil Danns

Jonathan Walters

Alex Bruce

Dunn

Duff (served his apprenticeship there)

Joe Garner

Not good enough is it?

Name any club even slghtly close to us in size or wealth or position or whatever and they will most likely have had more players coming through.

The Academy is not performing...surely changes in personnel need to be made? If Hughes and his management team fail to produce the goods then they get the sack. Why is the Academy different?

A lot of money is being and has been pumped into the Academy...they need employees that can get us something back for the money.

Is it the personnel at the club though?

No ones replied to THIS

We have had some half/decent players come from the academy:

Peter Thorne

Neil Danns

Jonathan Walters

Alex Bruce

Dunn

Duff (served his apprenticeship there)

Joe Garner

Yeah, but compare that to other clubs in the Prem... some have probably got more than that in their 1st team for just this season... let alone the time their academy has been set up.

On Amdy Faye... can someone tell me why they're still going on about getting the blessing of Fifa because it classes as 3 teams he's played for this year... yet Leeds can sign someone who's now played for 3 clubs this year without question...?

And Nicko... was there ever any truth in Keegan wanting Bentley? just wondering, seeing as John Williams has come out in the media stating a "hands off"

And Nicko... was there ever any truth in Keegan wanting Bentley? just wondering, seeing as John Williams has come out in the media stating a "hands off"

Tosh.

Keegan probably doesn't know who he is. He has been in exile for three years.

Watch him chase players who were decent round about 2005!

Can anybody go down to the Academy and watch a game? I have never been.

I have always wanted to watch the senior squad train, but they are hidden away up there!

Could be a source of revenue, guided tours or something along that line. The ground tour is good.

I was laughing at that in the pub over the weekend, saying Keegan would be after players who were decent in 2004/2005.

That's the guy.

He wasn't a goalie though.

Sean "I'm just popping out for a mo, be back in 6 months" Curry was a striker.

Alan Miller might've been a half decent keeper, but didn't we already have Filan and Kelly at that point?

Pederson was signed on Sven's recommendation, yeah I think that was right, and he did score at Stamford Bridge with a diving header .

Keegan probably doesn't know who he is. He has been in exile for three years.

Watch him chase players who were decent round about 2005!

He was at Warwick University with Stuart Pearce yesterday..second hand information so don't shoot the messenger if its tosh. Got to wonder about a number 2 again, though...no I don't mean sh1t !!

The Adacemy, well i am undecided on it. The likes of Duff would never have come to the Rovers had we not got one of the best set-ups in the league.

We wouldn't get Duff now though. At that time, rovers' academy was possibly the best around. Liverpool and the likes weren't on the scene then.

At the risk of being hoarse, - it's down to the scouting. You can't make premier league players from anything but the cream of the youngsters - no matter how good the coaches are. We're back to the scenario of the old youth system days, pre-academy; the top clubs have scouts everywhere. Don't expect that just because we have an academy, that we're any better placed to produce Premier league players. Douglas, Clayton, Newton, England, Gerrard, Scholes, Shearer etc, etc, would have been great players without any coaching, they didn't need an academy.

All things youth have gone full circle, it's just costing us a hell of a lot more money to produce the same as we did in the past.

He was at Warwick University with Stuart Pearce yesterday..second hand information so don't shoot the messenger if its tosh. Got to wonder about a number 2 again, though...no I don't mean sh1t !!

That might have something to do with the coaching course he's going to need to sit to get his badges...but I'm not sure.

Interesting thought all the same.

Archived