BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread

Nothing more on Koumas to rovers then? I know you said that Celtic wanted him on loan but i assume rovers are playing the waiting game and are willing to go as far as waiting until the summer to get him cheaper. Shame we need him now really.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do know that a lot of people have been critical about how it is run and allegations of favouritism. I've no doubt that much of this might be sour grapes but it still happens to be that under the personnel the Academy has not been producing for years despite a large investment.

Favouritism does exist, as does the culture of yes men. Many academy coaches are not full time (u-16 down) they want the prestige of being involved, so they'd agree with anything the full time staff will tell them. Pushy parents also have a say.

Arnt we responsible for Shay Given aswell?

No. He was already a professional when he joined.

Is it just a coincidence that no players have developed from the youth set up since Rob Kelly left the club.

No.

Rovers probably picked up a few '000k on Brett Ormerod

Accrington Stanley got the Ormerod money, he left Rovers before he got a pro contract.

I don't think it's fair to blame those who currently run the academy. What are Rovers supposed to do - go and get Mourinho to run the place? The point I'm making is that by and large, Blackburn Rovers is one of the best run clubs in the Premier League.

Den is right. There is no reason for any decent young player to come to Blackburn any more. Brockhall was the best such facility in Britain - in the late 1990s, and Rovers were recent Champions. Better facilities now exist at the big 4, also at Boro and one or two others. And similar options and short term rewards / 1st team chances exist at 50+ of 92 league clubs.

Big cities like Birmingham, Liverpool, London, Manchester - even Leeds, Newcastle and Sheffield - will always supply their local clubs with more talent than we can access, so will have maybe 3 times, x4 or even x5/6 better odds of unearthing a real gem for the top level. Clubs like Rovers and (eg) Southampton have to rely on clever scouting and fringe drop outs from the cities - so our chances of finding and enticing PL class youngsters in this environment are miniscule, unless they're born in a BB postcode.

Agree completely, we don't get first pick and we never will.

Do I have to remind you that last time he came on as a sub he saved a penalty? :rolleyes:

Isn't that the only time he has made a first team appearence? If I remember correctly it was against Wigan at Ewood a couple of seasons ago. Or was it Bolton?

Robinson?!?!? I really don't understand why, as surely Brad intends to play at least next season as well? If we are indeed looking at a replacement for BRad, which I highly doubt, then as far as cheap, quality, Premiership keepers then we really don't need to look furthat than to the City of Manchester Stadium and Andreas Isaksson. £2m is the price quoted, which would probably drop even lower if there are no buyers. He's out of favour there, but it's not due to a lack of quality. 50 caps (+23 U21), will play in his third major championship this summer, and still only 26 years old. I've watched pretty much all of those 50 games, as well as games for Trelleborg, Djurgården, Rennes (Just one or two tho) and Man City, and he's a quality keeper. The downside would be that he seems somewhat injury prone. Should stress that it's just in the past two years or so though, wasn't an issue before then. Wages wouldn't be an issue either as he wants to play regularly to keep his place in the national team and as such that's the main issue.

Howver this is obviously just hypothetical as Brad isn't going anywhere.

Rumours circulating that Walcott may be going to Pompey on loan as Harry used to know him from Southampton!!! Pompey annoy me!!

Also Sunderland seem very busy, rumours on Lita, Hunt & Alves

It's been on SSN that Theo's going nowhere.

Brad is getting older, and slower, face it!

Isaksson however isnt a good enough replacement. Brad can save us up to 15pts a season, Isaksson wouldnt!! Robinson, all be it he makes the odd mistake, is a top class keeper, just another one low on confidence.

There were three trialists - a Czech Republic international squad man, a Portuguese defender and a Trinidad and Tobago World Cup striker. None measured up.

:rover: THE PORTUGESE GUY WAS NOT STAYING AT THE DARWEN MOTEL WAS HE :brfcsmilie:

There are some strange developments on Koumas.

He has been offered to another club today by Wigan - part of a potential deal.

So [a] Rovers have not matched their valuation but Wigan want rid.

I would watch this particular space for the next 48 hours...

Also big movement among the relegation fighters. More of this later.

Can't read it either and don't want to quote it to make it worse for anyone else. I did notice though that there's a single full stop at the end of the mega paragraph!

Can someone rewrite it or summarise it?

To do that you need to be able to read it first, which with just one gigantic paragraph, no punctuation and loads of words fused together becomes extremely difficult, and bordering on the impossible. I, like most on here can't be bothered.

so will it be a loan deal with a view to a permanant transfer??

or are we just getting him in, to keep the numbers up..

What will?

Just in case you are wondering what I am referring to, I will give you a clue (which is more than your original did for us).

I was just trying to find out what "it" might be in your post.

Brad is getting older, and slower, face it!

Isaksson however isnt a good enough replacement. Brad can save us up to 15pts a season, Isaksson wouldnt!! Robinson, all be it he makes the odd mistake, is a top class keeper, just another one low on confidence.

He's getting older and slower, and we should start looking at options, but I don't think we have to have a new first choice keeper ready before the summer of 2009.

Would Isaksson save us as many points as Brad? Well, no. But neither would Robinson or anyone else we could afford. We just have to face the fact that excellent keepers are few and far between; at least with the amount of money we have. It was either an extremely inspired signing by Souness or we just got very, very lucky, but either way it's not something we can count on happening again.

Very few can match Brad's close range skills, but Isaksson is a similar type of keeper in that he also makes these "impossible" saves, although perhaps not as frequently. It might "just" be a case of Robinson being short on confidence, but on current form he's not good at all, and I prefer keepers who don't make these howlers. And just like Brad, Isaksson doesn't. He has other shortcomings, but that isn't among them.

With the situation we're in it's also worth keeping in mind that Isaksson would be on a lot lower wages, and would command a lower fee, as having been the England #1 and the #1 for a top-half (Well, normally anyway) Premiership team for several years he'd command quite hefty wages. On top of that he's also English.

Anyway, each to their own; horses for courses and all that. I however do feel rather sure of myself here, having seen him play in a lot of games over the past nine years, and having seen quite a bit of Robinson as well. And as I said, it's most likely hypothetical. Robinson will either be back in goal for Spurs and England by the time Brad retires, or will move on before we need to make a move. Isaksson probably will as well, so it's going to be between other names instead.

Archived