BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread

He was at Warwick University with Stuart Pearce yesterday..second hand information so don't shoot the messenger if its tosh. Got to wonder about a number 2 again, though...no I don't mean sh1t !!

I was driving through there yesterday night and a few chauffeur driven cars were leaving. I did try to see who was inside but couldn't get a good enough view and it was dark. Loads of them seem to go to the Warwick courses though.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Juhvel Tsomou is involved in Frankfurt's first team but was not deemed good enough for our reserves.

Involved in Frankfurt's first team? Is he? I can't see him on Frankfurt's team sheet on skysports...Eintracht Frankfurt, is this?

If/when we do sell on the youngsters from the Academy, I'm sure Rovers always make sure there's an sell-on clause. So I suppose we do make a bit out of additional sales, especially, in say, Beattie's case from Southampton to Everton.

No ones replied to THIS

Den, to answer your question; East Lancashire is not a football hotbed, spare the odd player; Chaplow, Gallagher, Garner, Beattie, Dunn, Ormerod, and Derbyshire are locals currently playing.

I can't speak much for the 60's and 70's as I wasn't around but I'd wager that "footballer" wasn't high priority on many lads' lists of professions. Low wages and short careers weren't much of a carrot when you could get another job that lasted much longer for similar pay and parents weren't pushing kids into football.

In the 80's we were one of the poorest clubs around languishing outside the top flight. Our youth structure wasn't much to shout at either so we couldn't attract top talent from outside the local area. It was commonplace to get players from Manchester, usually ones that Man U or City did not want. Think David May, Jason Wilcox, Peter Thorne, Paul Shepstone, Darren Donnelly to name some that I can remember. This started to change when Jack Walker came on board, around 1990.

Once he took over and Brockhall was bought more lads from further afield started to turn up with Ireland particularly prevalent (mainly the South but some from NI as the decade progressed); Gary Talon was an early one (granted he was never an academy/youth player). Marlon Broomes, touted as an England prospect as a schoolboy came from Villa for a hefty fee when the money started pouring into youth. The FA Academy system (1998) started a new era whereby more overseas players arrived, which leads us to where we are now; getting cast off's the big clubs do not want plus the odd local kid. Change indeed.

Where's that Academy thread?

We wouldn't get Duff now though. At that time, rovers' academy was possibly the best around. Liverpool and the likes weren't on the scene then.

I recall reading that Liverpool were also in for Duff actually. We got him because we persuaded his parents this was the best place to be. I read in the LET that they had seen Brockhall whilst it hadn't been developed yet, told that was where he would train and thought that as a country lad it was perfect for him!!! :rolleyes:

These German lads couldn't, in some cases, even train with the reserves.

Just reading some of the player profiles on the official site.

A product of the Blackburn Rovers Academy, Irishman Keith has only been with the club two seasons and has already progressed to be a regular at reserve team level and subsequently knocking on the door of Mark Hughes' first team squad.

It can be done if your talented enough and you get the feeling that these guys weren't or rovers would have tried harder to keep them. The Germans may well have bluffed one time to many.

Olsson and Derbyshire were brought but they came in and made an instant impact and were moved up. I assume they expect similar from Johnny Flynn or 18 is quite an old age to try and create a talented young footballer. I don't think any player can complain they don't get a chance to prove themselves if they are put into an academy system for 2 to 5 years. Some move on because they think they are better than they are but those players soon find out that maybe they weren't as good as they thought and get dropped by the team they signed for.

Or gloves ... unless you are a keeper

It is great to see players from Scandinavia wearing gloves, always make you feel warm inside :lol:

It didn't sound like a first-team squad signing, that Johnny Flynn fella.

Are we going to go through the whole window not signing a single player who could get into teh first-tream this season?

we might buy Faye, but i don't think he's any better then Savage

I'm sure you knew exactly what he meant Den.

There's no way Johnny Flynn has been signed to improve the first team.

if he is for the 1st team, he should be in the squad against Villa on Saturday then with the rumours that Nelson is injured again. Some how i don't think that will happen.

Archived