BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He comes in as a total unknown, bangs in 10 goals. Keane bids £5m in the summer, we sell him, buy a midfielder and the lad returns to Cork having failed to score in the first 3 months of the Championship season B)

Cork have a pretty decent record of bringing through young players, especially in the attacking third of late. I just hope he isn't being brought over to sit in the ressies for a year or 5 :(

Just like to point out that the lad is coming from Longford, not Cork :)

He's on there Modes, just been reading up on him

lol strangely enough i looked under David Mooney. Didn't think it would be under Dave. If he moves to us he'll have to do a Andrew Cole and change to his full name.

Good to read he impressed whilst on trial at brum but why aren't they after him?

Dave Mooney, 23 year old striker. Anyone know anything?

At that age, he shouldn't be one for the future, he should be for now.

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News...britain-locale/

He's getting on a bit considering the impression the likes of Shearer/Rooney were making at that age, but football does not follow the Jesuit theory of 'show me the boy of 7 and I will show you the man'. Young player development follows the Wacky Races principle.

He comes in as a total unknown, bangs in 10 goals. Keane bids £5m in the summer, we sell him, buy a midfielder and the lad returns to Cork having failed to score in the first 3 months of the Championship season B)

Cork have a pretty decent record of bringing through young players, especially in the attacking third of late. I just hope he isn't being brought over to sit in the ressies for a year or 5 :(

Cork have loads of talents at youth level which thankfully is not being exploited by Premiership teams and I know.

Very funny nod :P

Maybe thats why I am all sensistive about it eh?

One Love - BRFC

I lived for a short time in Sabden and I often felt like I should be drinking in the White Hart / Pendle Witch with a tin hat on. Padiham must be immeasurably worse.

I lived for a short time in Sabden and I often felt like I should be drinking in the White Hart / Pendle Witch with a tin hat on. Padiham must be immeasurably worse.

Just moved from Padiham to Sabden, was glad to see the back of the place, Sabden seems fine to me, friendly bunch in the Pendle Witch.

Can only see this Mooney story on Setanta. Will wait for other sources before I believe it.

It's only a trial Hasta and he has been at 2 other premiership clubs on trial recently, so it's very plausible. Worth a look even if nothing comes of it, like the Bulgarian bloke.

Yes Fife, we did get a fee for Garner, with a sell on clause, if I remember correctly.

That was my point. Why are we giving the rest of these players away? Sarcasm is known on these shores as well!

That was my point. Why are we giving the rest of these players away? Sarcasm is known on these shores as well!

Remember that Garner is one of the better players our academy has produced. We can't realistically expect 150k for most of our youngsters, or even near (despite what my Football Manager game seems to think, chuffed as I am about it). It does seem like we should have asked for more for Garner- something I thought at the time. I hope we have a substantial sell-on clause.

This is the wrong thread really, but here goes.

Rover6, or anyone else:

Since rovers won the youth cup in 1960, the number of players that have come through the youth team, to top division standard can be counted on one hand. That's including the academy and also the years when the old A and B teams played at Fenniscowles. The kids played during those years under many different coaches and many different managers. Ask yourselves one question - why have so few come through?

Answer that, and the answers' obvious, then ask - why it should be any different with the academy?

Two questions needing two answers.

1959, not 1960. The latter year has unpleasant memories!

Duff, Dunn, Damien Johnson and Martin Taylor have all played at the top level for a number of seasons. So did Simon Barker. To get it up to more than a one hand of players, I really hope Paul Bradshaw did so at Wolves, or Mossley who we sold to Derby from the Youth team. We could throw in Frannie Carr-is that the name of the winger who went to Forest?

The difference between then and now is the amount of money involved in the current set up which many people estimate as £2-3,000,000 per year.

1959, not 1960. The latter year has unpleasant memories!

Duff, Dunn, Damien Johnson and Martin Taylor have all played at the top level for a number of seasons. So did Simon Barker. To get it up to more than a one hand of players, I really hope Paul Bradshaw did so at Wolves, or Mossley who we sold to Derby from the Youth team. We could throw in Frannie Carr-is that the name of the winger who went to Forest?

The difference between then and now is the amount of money involved in the current set up which many people estimate as £2-3,000,000 per year.

Oh and Jason and David May. I guess that makes more than one handful.

Is it the personnel at the club though?

No ones replied to THIS

I do know that a lot of people have been critical about how it is run and allegations of favouritism. I've no doubt that much of this might be sour grapes but it still happens to be that under the personnel the Academy has not been producing for years despite a large investment.

Therefore...if the current personnel isn't producing much then why not try new personnel? At least then we have tried out different approaches!

As for no one has replied to your question...that is exactly what I did but you ignored mine in return.

Why have so many other clubs been better at producing players than us? I don't mean the big four either as there are quite a few others. What are they doing that we aren't?

That's the guy.

He wasn't a goalie though.

Sean Curry might as well have been a goalie for all the use he was upfront.

Still remember the LET headlines..."Rovers sign Liverpool Star"...got to the back page and it was Sean Curry we were signing for 5,000! Interesting definition they had of "star" players down there at the time...

We wouldn't get Duff now though. At that time, rovers' academy was possibly the best around. Liverpool and the likes weren't on the scene then.

At the risk of being hoarse, - it's down to the scouting. You can't make premier league players from anything but the cream of the youngsters - no matter how good the coaches are. We're back to the scenario of the old youth system days, pre-academy; the top clubs have scouts everywhere. Don't expect that just because we have an academy, that we're any better placed to produce Premier league players. Douglas, Clayton, Newton, England, Gerrard, Scholes, Shearer etc, etc, would have been great players without any coaching, they didn't need an academy.

All things youth have gone full circle, it's just costing us a hell of a lot more money to produce the same as we did in the past.

The thing is quite a few of these players have represented England at various youth levels. Neil Danns was even a captain. Doesn't that suggest that we are getting the right players at a certain age?

It's after that when it all starts to go down the pan.

I'm starting to come round to the opinion that the Academy is becoming a drain on resources as it is just not producing...very different to how proud it used to make us in the early days when we could boast about what could happen in the future. Then again...how about trying to freshen it up as well? From coaches to scouts etc...not a clean sweep but new people being brought in. I've no idea if this would make any difference or not but it would be nice to see a shake-up as it just hasn't been working for us.

Archived