BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread

Rovers usually stick a sell on clause into the contract when ex-trainees move on from the club they initially go to. On that basis it probably serves us well for players to go to League 1 clubs because Championship clubs regularly snap up players from that level. So Taylor to Tranmere and Garner to Carlisle are smart moves on that basis plus I believe Rovers get first refusal if a player is moving so we have the chance to bring players back if they develop outstandingly at the club they went to.

The most spectacular was probably the £2m the club made when Beattie left Southampton but the Rovers probably picked up a few '000k on Brett Ormerod and Neill Danns just to think of two who commanded reasonable transfer fees when they moved on from the club Rovers transferred them to.

The Academy is not washing its face at the moment but its not a total dead loss. Within the last 12 months McEveley brought £1m or so (initial transfer plus appearances and promotion kickers) and I think four players have gone to English league clubs and a similar number have gone to league clubs abroad. Each one will have brought some few thousands of transfer income pus the chance to participate in any future fee.

So perhaps 50% of the Academy costs are being recouped from player trading at present whilst the club still has a roll of the dice for first team promotion or transfer with add ons with Derbyshire, Gallagher, Olsson, Kane, Tracey, Peter, Fielding, De Vita, Nolan, Nielsen, Winnard, O'Keefe, Griffiths, Clarke, Hodge (all of whom have first team squad numbers) and so on to the younger players.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1779

im not saying we should-but nicko, you got any information on which clubs are interested in taking theo walcott on loan???

i wouldnt mind that diaby on loan-we need a central midfielder..

The Walcott news is a surprise. If he is available - and that is a very big IF - then there will be a few after him.

Wenger would want him to go somewhere and play. He needs to get into that routine.

I wonder how he would look in claret and blue? ;)

I do know that a lot of people have been critical about how it is run and allegations of favouritism. I've no doubt that much of this might be sour grapes but it still happens to be that under the personnel the Academy has not been producing for years despite a large investment.

Therefore...if the current personnel isn't producing much then why not try new personnel? At least then we have tried out different approaches!

As for no one has replied to your question...that is exactly what I did but you ignored mine in return.

Why have so many other clubs been better at producing players than us? I don't mean the big four either as there are quite a few others. What are they doing that we aren't?

I don't think it's fair to blame those who currently run the academy. What are Rovers supposed to do - go and get Mourinho to run the place? The point I'm making is that by and large, Blackburn Rovers is one of the best run clubs in the Premier League. (Ignore the club shop for now - because the outsourcing deal brings in enough cash to run the academy ... oops!!)

So if Hughes or Williams felt that the STAFF at the academy were to blame, I'm quite sure they wouldn't hesitate to change things. Don't forget Hughes ended Tony Parkes' Rovers career for the good of his regime at the club.

Also don't forget that Chris Samba is only 23 years old, and EN / MB / MH had sussed him out as a 1st team gem within an hour of his first morning on trial at Brockhall. Don't tell me the same guys are missing young players who train at the club every single day and are available for more demanding tests in the reserves or youth teams whenever a closer look is required.

Den is right. There is no reason for any decent young player to come to Blackburn any more. Brockhall was the best such facility in Britain - in the late 1990s, and Rovers were recent Champions. Better facilities now exist at the big 4, also at Boro and one or two others. And similar options and short term rewards / 1st team chances exist at 50+ of 92 league clubs.

Big cities like Birmingham, Liverpool, London, Manchester - even Leeds, Newcastle and Sheffield - will always supply their local clubs with more talent than we can access, so will have maybe 3 times, x4 or even x5/6 better odds of unearthing a real gem for the top level. Clubs like Rovers and (eg) Southampton have to rely on clever scouting and fringe drop outs from the cities - so our chances of finding and enticing PL class youngsters in this environment are miniscule, unless they're born in a BB postcode.

hi all,

was hoping for some activity am glad sparky is picking up bargains in the window butthe only players bought so far have little or no experience when are we going to realise we will not win ought with young inexperienced players and as for Amdy Faye will give him a chance but don't think he is the answerI also don't think as people have said we need a RB as Brett has done an excellent job therewe need to use our resources on getting a central midfielder with a bit of creativity hopefully we will get the maestro for the next game but that is where we need to seriously spend money also fell Koumas would be ok but would not spend the reported 5.3M that is just ludicrous surely there is better out there for cheaper and a new Left winger as MGP has recently been poor any news on when we can expect Sergio Peter back I think MGP could do with a break as he looks like a lost sheepapart from that I think we are ok and not much needs to be done also hope for Brett to be back for the villa game as well as tugay.

Laters all.

hi all,

was hoping for some activity am glad sparky is picking up bargains in the window butthe only players bought so far have little or no experience when are we going to realise we will not win ought with young inexperienced players and as for Amdy Faye will give him a chance but don't think he is the answerI also don't think as people have said we need a RB as Brett has done an excellent job therewe need to use our resources on getting a central midfielder with a bit of creativity hopefully we will get the maestro for the next game but that is where we need to seriously spend money also fell Koumas would be ok but would not spend the reported 5.3M that is just ludicrous surely there is better out there for cheaper and a new Left winger as MGP has recently been poor any news on when we can expect Sergio Peter back I think MGP could do with a break as he looks like a lost sheepapart from that I think we are ok and not much needs to be done also hope for Brett to be back for the villa game as well as tugay.

Laters all.

:wacko:

that is all

I lived for a short time in Sabden and I often felt like I should be drinking in the White Hart / Pendle Witch with a tin hat on. Padiham must be immeasurably worse.

To be honest I live in Simonstone - I thought the name PP might just crank up any dingles straying onto this site.

Must admit that a trek to the Co-Op in Padiham can be a scary experience, not helped when I have a rovers badge in the back of the car.

A lot of people seem to do a strange waving motion with their hand when they see that. :unsure:

The Walcott news is a surprise. If he is available - and that is a very big IF - then there will be a few after him.

Wenger would want him to go somewhere and play. He needs to get into that routine.

Agree that Wenger would want him playing every week but I wouldnt start moving Bentley all over the place to accommodate the little fella.

Sean Curry might as well have been a goalie for all the use he was upfront.

Still remember the LET headlines..."Rovers sign Liverpool Star"...got to the back page and it was Sean Curry we were signing for 5,000! Interesting definition they had of "star" players down there at the time...

The only Sean Curry headline I remember is a picture of him having a cup of tea with his mum at home in Liverpool. He had done a runner back home for some inexplicable reason.

Agree that Wenger would want him playing every week but I wouldnt start moving Bentley all over the place to accommodate the little fella.

No need to. Play Roque and Walcott upfront and Bentley on the right (or all over the midfield for that matter).

Said about 3 weeks ago we should move for Walcott on Loan. Any everyone said he wouldnt be allowed to go. :rolleyes:

Times also states that we are keeping tabs on Paul Robinson's situation at Spurs.

Any news on rovers front Nicko?

Well, Brad isnt getting any younger but do we really want Robinson. There is only so many times you can say its not his fault. Bet they would ask about 6m for him too - and some would pay it.

If that is the case Tris then why don't we cut back spending on the Academy? An extra million or two for Hughes to spend each year would do nicely. A streamlined youth system in its place.

Two years ago the Premiership Academy system changed from an under 17 and an under 19 league to just one unified league. At that time Rovers reduced their staff by 15 overall but I think there was also some redeployment from the Academy to the senior set up as well.

Well, Brad isnt getting any younger but do we really want Robinson. There is only so many times you can say its not his fault. Bet they would ask about 6m for him too - and some would pay it.

We got an excellent backup in Brown. No need for Robinson whatsoever.

Nicko how hard is it to become a sports journo, you obviously know your stuff, but some papers surely just make things up? i could do that easy. The TIMES says we're keeping tabs on Robinson but thats surely crap?? why would we? just in case they decide to let him go for 1mill??

Times also states that we are keeping tabs on Paul Robinson's situation at Spurs.

Any news on rovers front Nicko?

I don't like running down stories I know nothing about. However the question I have to ask is 'why?' And 'why just now?' when Brad has been top drawer this season and there is obviously little cash for places that really need strengthening.

Only news I have is about Ryan Nelsen's injury...there could be a result on Faye today...and Celtic asked for Koumas on loan which isn't likely to be happening.

It's alarmingly quiet.

hi all,

Laters all.

PLEASE

Either learn to punctuate, or stop posting.

This is unreadable drivel.

Just moved from Padiham to Sabden, was glad to see the back of the place, Sabden seems fine to me, friendly bunch in the Pendle Witch.

Lived in Sabden when I was a lil nipper. Great place for a little lad at that time, early 60's I imagine it must have changed quite a bit now.

Archived