BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pro Evolution Soccer 2008

Guest Kamy100

PS3 patch is out now. You need to start the game and it will ask you to download the patch. I have not tried it yet but according to people who have they say that the framerate issues are now gone in offline mode.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea same here, I think its improved it slightly although there was a point where my mate pressed R1 and x really quickly by accident with his keeper and the keeper dropped it n then a second later it was mysteriously back in the air as if it had been thrown :blink: , havent tried online yet

The frame rate has improved, but it is still not completely gone for me. (Others are reporting the same problem.)

I'm not sure if it has improved online play.

I cant speak for online but after installing the update last night I also do not think the problem has totally gone away. As Seabass keeps shouting - dont expect next years to get any better either - it wont be until the year after that until they finally sort their house out.

So, a well built reputation is being blown apart - well done konami, well done

I cant speak for online but after installing the update last night I also do not think the problem has totally gone away. As Seabass keeps shouting - dont expect next years to get any better either - it wont be until the year after that until they finally sort their house out.

So, a well built reputation is being blown apart - well done konami, well done

Konami has come out destroying a lot of goodwill and fandom relating to the series.

I find the game very hard to play, as in get myself on the couch and turn it on to play. I have only played three games against someone offline. At least I find it hard to play because I have a SD TV, which is kind of fuzzing (I'm not into the technical terms, I'm sure there is a better term) when I'm passing the ball around, hence making it very hard to see. Basically I'm playing the game at the rate I would as if the next game in the series is going to come out. It's feeling like money has been wasted and there is no other viable football game out there at the moment, at least for me. I know HD is the future of television and everything, but the other games I have (Call of Duty 4 and Warhawk) look and play fine and the difficulty of translating PES 2008 to SD is making this new generation of gaming a very expensive business. I'm kind of lucky that I am very slow on the uptake with new games (the only game out that I have wanted to play is PES 2008 in the new generation so far... my brother purchased the other two games mentioned above, although I am waiting on MGS4, TNA Impact, and possibly the newer Gran Turismo).

Basically, I'm disappointed that the only yearly series I buy has gone down in playability (online play has almost unplayable lag, even against locals; lack of 2 vs 2 feature which was on the previous version; etc.). The PS3 is getting the cold shoulder at the moment (it will change in the future) and the Super Nintendo is getting a bit of a play, along with some older PC titles and Football Manager 2008 (yeah, as already hinted at, I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to gaming).

• 3 weeks later...

I recently caved in again and after 2 years of FIFA went back to PES. Basically FIFA was annoying because of the lack of mobility in the players, they were "stuck on a rail" to nick the phrase from IGN, not just for through passes but almost everything. The menus were clunky as well and you couldn't change the stats - Rovers players were quite underrated! It's a tough choice trading accuracy for gameplay, which PES clearly wins but PES has it's problems namely:

- If you want to re-edit the teams you need an Xbox Live camera! What happened to the app in PES 4 & 5?!! Also having spent hours on 4 & 5 changing strips, names etc. I really didn't want to do it again. I know you can download a save file but you need a cable, some program and seems like just as much hassle. WTF? Konami must make buckets of money every year on this game and they still can't afford licences?

- Some of the player likenesses are awful. Rocky looks like an escaped convict and Samba like "stereotypical black man face number 32".

- It ain't next gen! Save for bump mapped textures on the faces everything is pretty much the same

- Horrible commentory and sound effects (nothing new there)

- HUGE menus as opposed to FIFA's squinty menus? Wierd and a step back from PES 4 & 5.

I was kind of dissappointed in the end, esp since they had huge room for improvement on facials, crowds, sound etc. and blew it. BUT and this is a BIG BUT - the gameplay still kicks FIFA into touch! There is so much variety, is easy to pick up and you'll never play the same game or score the same goal twice (and you can still save the replays!)

You know if I were EA I would buy Konami or poach their programmers, they are catching up, slowly, but I don't think they'll ever quite get there. Or they should just put out a game together cos people will buy one or the other, usually not both. I salivate at the idea of PES gameplay with FIFA graphics, sound and licences....mmmmmmmmmmmmm...FIFAPES.

I never thought I would do it but this week I actually sold my PS3 copy of PES and kept FIFA - I felt dirty doing it. To be honest if the Be a Pro Mode wasnt so good on Fifa that would have gone too.

The thing is play the new PES and then stick your old copy for the PS2 back in. The gameplay is different. The players arnt always where they are meant to be in the new one. The seem less responsive too. Also, none of the camera angles feel right compared to the old one.

The only thing that is better are some of their faces.

As I have said before the head PES honcho Seabass has been quoted as saying that we shouldnt hold out hope for the next one either because their wont be any better.

The sad thing is that people will still buy them good or not.

Jus bought the new PES2008 for Ps3. Not that impressed. Dont think the graphics are that great. Faces are crap. Gameplay seems more like ISS used to be than a next gen game. The Editor......wtf. Why have they stopped people making new kits and logos etc. THe replay cameras......awful. Just stick with the simple way of being able to rotate 360 degrees to see the ball properly. PES 6 on my PC was miles better. Why have they made PES Worse????

THe replay cameras......awful. Just stick with the simple way of being able to rotate 360 degrees to see the ball properly

Just press triangle and then rotate to your hearts content. Got PES2008 yesterday, got the Rovers kit with logo and whatnot on, doesn't seem too bad although the players seem much smaller. Possibly due to the fact that my TV is more than twice the size of my old one :P

• 5 weeks later...
How was the patch? Did it resolve the frame rate problems? (to be honest, I dont think it plays the same as the PS2 one did anyway so not too bothered that I got rid)

I downloaded the patch last night and had a quick game and I think it has made a hell of a difference. The gameplay was really jerky before but it is a lot smoother now so the game is basically playable and what it should have been when I bought it 3 months ago !! I haven't tried it online yet.

Guest Kamy100

I posted a reply but it has now disappeared.

Anyhow basically the patch is to sort out the offline mode for people with SD tv's. Even though I have an HD TV the patch was made the game run much smoother.

However I will be swopping it very soon as it is disgusting that Konami have still not sorted out the online side of the game. It is still laggy and players teleport all over the place. It is just lazy programming and lack of respect for it's consumers. Hate to say that FIFA has moved light year's ahead of Pro Evo.

Guest Kamy100

I went and traded Pro Evo in today. Managed to get £25 from Gamestation!!

The latest patch did not sort out the online play, for me that is unacceptable.

To be fair to Seabass (game producers) he has admitted that PES2008 falls short and apologised, more worryingly he has said that it is going to take him 2 years to sort it out. That mean PES2009 is likely also to be rubbish, the problem they have is FIFA improves again next year then that could spell the end of the Pro Evo series.

I'll be on this weekend if anyone fancies a game (PS3), just PM me for my PS name. Played a few games with my mate earlier, no problems for me. I haven't yet experienced the angst of slowdown with the exception of replays so it really isn't affecting me to be honest. I tried to Fifa demo and it looks too small and arcadey for me, as well as the fact the reaction times were simply far too slow.

Just my choice though, I can understand people leaving but for me, it's been good enough.

Archived