BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Premier League Happenings

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

The appeal for Bassong was sheer desperation, no idea why they even bothered... no grounds for an appeal. Should be fined for wasting the FA's time (or whoever deals with these things).

City have told Hughes that top 6 is the aim next season. Can he do it?!

They have also confirmed they are at advanced stages in their planning and know which areas they want to improve. They also state they have money to spend.

City got 55 points last season.

They then spent £121,000,000 pounds sterling.

They have 47 points with one game to go.

If I was the City Chairman I would get him in the office straight away, sack him and when he had just gone out the door get him back in and sack him again for good measure.

• Backroom

City shouldn't have sacked Sven in the first place. Sacking Hughes won't solve their problems. They need stability, rather than following the Newcastle merry-go-round model of management. If Sparky doesn't deliver next season he'll go, but I get the feeling they'll be a lot harder to beat next season.

According to that chairman fella - this is what he thinks anyway

"It needs to be done sustainably, with quality management, quality infra-structure and a quality manager. That's what we are doing. The players will come, and the results will come."

If not, how would you explain Premier league dominance in Europe?

I would take Vidic and put him into the Barcelona back four in place of Marquez. I will keep Puyol, Abidal and Alves.

Physical strength is my reasoning and as someone so eloquantly put it Mourinhoism. One step up from Cattenacio in my opinion. Of course the riches that the PL holds in being the most popular league on the planet means they can attract quality players. The more South Americans they can accomodate in the game the English based clubs will get even stronger.

Nothing to do with defensive quality and all to do with physical fitness, get up and back, up and back for 90 minutes.

Surely if your playing a team, your first thought should always be to nullify your opponents attacking threat. Its not negative, its the only way to win big games, hence why English teams dominate Europe - because they know how to defend & attack. Is that not what being good at defending is? Why hasnt Messi 'slaughtered' United & Chelsea over 4 games?

Its like they always say 'Keep it tight at the back and you will get chances upfront'.

United and Liverpool have both kept something like 22/21 clean sheets this season - thats a massive part of their success.

Surely it is negative? If Rovers sat 11 men behind the ball for 90 minutes to nulify the opposition attack, I am sorry that is negative football. If happen to get a turnover and are fit and quick enough to get 11 men in support up front, that is still negative football.

Go and watch any part of the Chelsea games and watch when Messi is one on one with Cole, took him apart. Messi was also the supplier of the pass that Iniesta scored off. The fact Chelsea feel the need to put three men on him everytime he got the ball and they still didn't disposess him speaks volumes of his ability.

As far as Man Utd goes, he may not have put the ball in the back of net, but the kid has it on a string and no one in a red shirt could come close to him.

Messi slaughtered Chelsea didn't he ?

Convict mentality blows a fuse at concept of an English sport being the best in the world.

I don't think that makes any sense Jim? I know football is the best sport in the world? You guys invented cricket as well, just took other countries to make it better. I will guess we will wait and see what he does in the final.

Yes but putting 2 or 3 on messi to mark him out of a game, is surely better than allowing him to run riot? Surely the teams that do that are just niave? To me thats being a better defensive unit if you can stop your opponent.....?

Yes but putting 2 or 3 on messi to mark him out of a game, is surely better than allowing him to run riot? Surely the teams that do that are just niave? To me thats being a better defensive unit if you can stop your opponent.....?

I don't know if we are even on the same page here Hughesy.

The fact that Chelsea put three players on Messi gives an indication of his ability. I think we agree on that. Messi is about more then just scoring goals, in fact, anyone who watches Barcelona reguary will see that his goals are more a bonus and that the main target for goals is through Eto or Henry.

All the English teams play zone defence , which is extremely hard to break down when you put 10 men behind the ball, they are though obviously suspect to set plays because they struggle with man marking. Man marking is where you see true defensive ability. To me that is why Germany and Italy are successful and IMO, remember IMO, the Serie A is a better leagues in terms of defensive tactics.

I am saying you can be defensive without resorting to negative tactics and Messi would kill in the Premier League. Eventually he will over run them, catch them short and take full advantage. I am not dimishing the fact they kept him scoreless but he still gets and keeps possesion, still runs rings around defenders and always looks dangerous by playing positive football.

This is exactly the point though Hughesy. If Chelsea put 3 players on Messi, thats 2 Barca players that are left unmarked thanks to the ability of and respect commanded by Messi.

Proof is below -

Go and watch any part of the Chelsea games and watch when Messi is one on one with Cole, took him apart. Messi was also the supplier of the pass that Iniesta scored off.

As Neekoy says, Messi laid on the pass for Iniesta to score off and put Chelsea out -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YTWBDdWGpQ

Messi gets the ball, three Chelsea players flock to him. The others in the middle are guilty of having their vision attracted to him - no one noticed Andreas Iniesta unmarked on the edge of the area. One of the best midfielders in the World, unmarked on the edge of your penalty area deep in to stoppage time in the second leg of a Champions League semi final.

Chelsea are not playing in Rome next Wednesday because they could not nullify Messi effectively enough. Simple as that.

Its a strange one this. The English teams are so obsessed at marking a top player, that they get exposed in other areas by other players. Yet, Barcelona and especially Madrid couldnt care less about defending and have been found to be easily picked off by English clubs recently.

Archived