BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Premier League Happenings

The way I saw the Chelse v Barca game is that Barca got extremely lucky. If I was not mistaken, Barca scored with their first shot on target- in the 92nd minute.

The CL Final promises to be a treat but if Man U get at the Barca backline effectively, a big score is very possible.

My Reading of the Prem at present is that technically it is at least first equal with the others but the speed and strength of defenders and defensive midfielders is damaging the PL as a spectacle. The other leagues look better for being slightly slower and wimpier.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What? I don't know why people think the defences of the PL are the best in the world, the certainly are the most physical but they are no where near as tactically driven as other leagues. PL defences are about getting behind the ball and playing for a counter attack, other then Arsenal possession of the football is a no go zone.

Messi would slaughter the Premier League, all this "tough defences" talk is crap.

Surely if your playing a team, your first thought should always be to nullify your opponents attacking threat. Its not negative, its the only way to win big games, hence why English teams dominate Europe - because they know how to defend & attack. Is that not what being good at defending is? Why hasnt Messi 'slaughtered' United & Chelsea over 4 games?

Its like they always say 'Keep it tight at the back and you will get chances upfront'.

United and Liverpool have both kept something like 22/21 clean sheets this season - thats a massive part of their success.

I was agreeing with your point :unsure:

Sorry wasnt meaning you. Was talking to Neekoy.

The German, French and Dutch leagues are excellent competitions to watch. I am a massive fan or the Bundesliga and Ligue A in particular. They are not tactically rigid and whilst there are more turnovers you get to see better individual skill on the ball. Also both leagues have a constantly changing top half.

Messi would slaughter the Premier League, all this "tough defences" talk is crap, go watch the Primera Division in Argentina or some Copa America football and see the physical nature of those challenges, it's sometimes like watching 11 Bartons run around.

Messi slaughtered Chelsea didn't he ?

Convict mentality blows a fuse at concept of an English sport being the best in the world.

Sbragia being interviewed on Setanta, they're trying to get him to make negative comments about the referee and he's not playing a long at all, refreshingly honest and not whining at all even though he may have had right to.

Wonder if Sam will bring him to Ewood should he leave Sunderland?

He already has a No2. Would Spragia want to be No 3? And given our resources wouldn't we be better spending money on the pitch?

I'm not sure it's as clear cut as that. Sam likes a big backroom staff - you have assistant managers and first team coaches etc these days. Pardon my language but remember Knox and Matthias?

Not sure what he'd cost, but I doubt it'd be a lot.

City have told Hughes that top 6 is the aim next season. Can he do it?!

They have also confirmed they are at advanced stages in their planning and know which areas they want to improve. They also state they have money to spend.

I'm sure Villa and Everton would be delighted, not sure it would matter much for the rest of us.

There aren't many good managers around at the moment, Arsenal would really suffer if he went. Look how Chelsea have struggled to find a good permanent appointment since Mourinho left, even Real Madrid themselves had to take a risk on Ramos. I can't think of anyone who could take over from Wenger. Having said that, I don't think many of us would have picked Wenger before he went to Arsenal originally.

In theory, Hughesy, but the club hasn't won anything for a few years now. Could be the transition they need to start winning trophies again.

I think if he went then so would Fabregas & Van Persie.

I also dont think too many managers would be happy carrying on with the development Arsenal are doing whilst they pay off thier stadium debts.

Id like to See Moyes given a big club like Arsenal with abit more cash to spend... he could be a great manager.

Disaster for Arsenal if it happened. Cesc & co would be off to spain.

The only way we'll see any change in the "Big 4" any time soon is if Wenger leaves them. And I'm sure they know that.

I dont know, I think if City splash the cash this summer and buy quality players and then end in the top 6, then do the same again the year after - they could really challenge the 3rd n 4th placed clubs.

Here's a question: who would replace Whinger at Le Arse if he did go to Madrid? Someone like Deschamps maybe?

He's just signed on at Marseille to replace Gerets so I don't see that one happening, especially as Marseille could still win the French league, depending on how Bordeaux do since Bordeaux have the "easier" run in.

City have told Hughes that top 6 is the aim next season. Can he do it?!

They also state they have money to spend.

If they haven't who else would have?!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure it's as clear cut as that. Sam likes a big backroom staff

Without taking this thread off topic, that is true and I am sure there will be additions to the backroom team in the summer. It was suggested when Sam took over with us that he wanted Sbragia to join but it was not to be. Circumstances could be different in the summer and I would not be surprised to see him join.

Sam likes to delegate and have a big backroom team. However he did not want to make too many changes upon his arrival in December. When reflecting upon his time at Newcastle, Sam admits he changed things too quickly behind the scenes and it was a mistake.

Archived