BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rugby

OK, so if England were so tremendous as most on here seem to agree about, why after facing one of the most hideous Australian rugby performances of my lifetime could they

A. Not score a try against us

and

B. Only win by two points

Saffers 36 - zip against England was a great performance, the kiwi's destruction of Scotland was a great performance, tha Argy win over the frogs was a great performance, England beating a horrible Australia by two points without even putting a try on makes them slightly better then a @#/? Australian performance.

To add, all this bitter talk is ludicrous, Australia were beaten by the better team on the day. Bitterness is a complete NZ dominance only to be shafted by a blatant forward pass try.

Why couldn't they score tries? Quite simply because you took down the scrum or rolling maul every time it got going. They were close to the line for a long time and on other days they would have scored several tries against a better side. Your backs kept you in the game. They looked dangerous everytime they got the ball moving. I don't know why you have to try and take away from another team's performance. Had that been South Africa or NZ who had just beaten you, you would have simply accepted them as being the much better side, a better performance and leave it at that. You're making yourself look silly.

Argentina against France wasn't a great performance if your standards are like they are for the England v Australia game. France didn't show up and were put under pressure by up-and-unders, nothing special there.

As for NZ being the better side in the France game, they weren't. France set their stall out to defend and counter NZ's game, which they did amazingly well. It was one of the best defensive performances I have ever seen. That lead to NZ having more ball, which they created very little with. Don't let pure statistics change the way the actual game went. Yes, they had more of the ball, but they did nothing with it. France looked dangerous when they got forward and did a good job of taking most of their chances. NZ had all the opportunity to show us what a good side they were and they failed. If they had been so much the better team in that game then they would have scored more points.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this froma a man who thinks a 3 hour game of American football is exciting?

Go away until you realise how much superior Union is to your wannabe rugby but cant cope with anything like nuances, subtlety or intelligence that is neccessary to play Rugby.

Abbey, you dont like rugby, thats fine, dont post on here, you have a thread for NFL, go and post on those.

Aus lost their ODI against India today.

Therefore this is officially the greatest (long) weekend of Sport. EVER!

Fact :)

I love the fact you bash Abbey for liking a game that takes 3 hours (and has a winner) and then rave about a game that takes 5 days and doesn't always have a winner....

neekoy - no matter how much you try and dress this up in that the aussies where the better team....the one statistic that counts my friend is this - "england are in the semi finals...!!

Mate I have never said Australia were the better side, I don't know why you think I have

Why couldn't they score tries? Quite simply because you took down the scrum or rolling maul every time it got going.

At least you made the effort to put your arguement forward Eddie. Good points. I guess if South Africa or New Zealand forwards were as good I would have expected them to annihilate us on the scoreboard.

I don't think England were good enough to finish off what was a horrible Australian performance. In that way I can't agree with comments that England were superb, at the breakdown yes, but I still think if you had a decent opposition forward pack against them they would have been taken to town. No one could say for sure what would have happended if England had played SA or NZ, it is just my own opinion that barring the forward performance, England weren't as tremdous as some ENG supporters would believe.

This is not to take away from the fact England were better the Australia, which although I don't like it, was the truth.

That's fair enough. I agree that the performance wasn't as good as some have said, but you have to understand that compared to what England fans have been watching for basically the past four years that was just about the greatest performance ever.

I love the fact you bash Abbey for liking a game that takes 3 hours (and has a winner) and then rave about a game that takes 5 days and doesn't always have a winner....

Thats because you're american and just wouldnt understand ;)

But American Footer and Rugby are basically the same game, although Rugby is of course better :)

But American Footer and Rugby are basically the same game,

PROBABLY the most innacurate and stupidist on this message board ever.....why are they basically the same game?? because there are posts and a similar shaped ball...TOTALLY 2 DIFFERENT GAMES BY FAR....IN UNION CAN YOU PASS FORWARD ? ARE THERE DOWNS DOH...DONT THINK SO CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG

This is not to take away from the fact England were better the Australia, which although I don't like it, was the truth.

That is the first time you have managed to say that and it is for that reason that people often ignore what you say and have a pop. There is a world of difference from saying what you have just done, and saying England were less poor than the Aussies. It's one thing to be bitter, it's another to confirm it to all and sundry.

Always been my whine about Football, 3 hours for a 1 hour game, it's way too stop start for me, action 10 seconds at a time, but that is American sport. Basketball, which I love by the way, is 48 mins but will always run 2 hours. They have to get the commercials in. You make an excellent point about the Cricket, which I don't like either.

As for the similarities between Rugby and Football, not much, other than they carry a ball which is egg shaped and have to cross a line.

Always been my whine about Football, 3 hours for a 1 hour game, it's way too stop start for me, action 10 seconds at a time, but that is American sport. Basketball, which I love by the way, is 48 mins but will always run 2 hours. They have to get the commercials in. You make an excellent point about the Cricket, which I don't like either.

As for the similarities between Rugby and Football, not much, other than they carry a ball which is egg shaped and have to cross a line.

Didn't the English rugby league challenge American football few years back for a game of each codes but he yanks pulled out because they would have to dispose of all the padding when playing rugby league!

My 1st game is proper football but I shall be watching England v France in a French bar tonight where it will be approx' 50/50 English and French, should very entetaining :lol:

PROBABLY the most innacurate and stupidist on this message board ever.....why are they basically the same game?? because there are posts and a similar shaped ball...TOTALLY 2 DIFFERENT GAMES BY FAR....IN UNION CAN YOU PASS FORWARD ? ARE THERE DOWNS DOH...DONT THINK SO CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG

I might be wrong but I think ROTR wins the accolade of "the most innacurate and stupidist on this message board ever" by a country mile and on more than one occasion

:lol:

....On a slightly different note (than rugby)

Does anybody remember a challenge match that used to take place between an Aussie rules team & a Gaelic football team?? :huh:

I remember watching this blood bath on tv when i was in my teens (in the 80s). It was brutal! :unsure:

Can anybody tell me the details of this game?

Is it still played?

Why was it played?

Was it stopped because of the violence? (that`s what i heard)

Is there any footage ont tinterweb?

Maybe some of our Aussie or Irish board members could fill in the details & give the low down on what really happened??

B)

Archived