BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Extreme Weather At Ewood!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
easter bank holiday monday 1995, man city home and lost 3-2 in a mud wrestlers paradise!

That game stands out in my mind as I remember being really glad I was sat inside watching it from the restaurant in the Jack Walker stand!!!

A game against Wimbledon getting totally rained off - after many of us fans had used our ticket stubs to dry off the seats! Watched Vinny Jones stomach sliding up and down the pitch!

Also when the freezing weather burst some pipes last winter (or winter before?).

Boxing Day 1995, Rovers 2-0 Manchester City. Shearer and Batty scored.

The outside temp (according to the car when we parked up) was -12 degrees centigrade. There was steam coming off the pitch.

My sister had never been to a football match before. I bought her a pie at half time to try and delay frostbite, but 12 years on she has never been to another match.

Ewood does, as Jose suggested recently have it's own climate. If I leave Chorley, approx 7 and a bit miles as the crow flies from Ewood and it is mild, then on arrival at the ground 15 min later expect it to be freezing. In fact knock off about 5 degrees from where ever you are to get an idea of the temp at Ewood Park.

I think the coldest I have ever been at Ewood was not actually at a match. The tickets for the Man Utd FA Cup match in 1985 went on sale on a Sunday morning in February, and there were massive queues down Kidder Street. I got there around 9am and have never experienced such bitter temperature's in my life. The pain was slightly offset though by the fact you could actually walk into the ground and onto the pitch, which I did and went for the obvious and pretended to take a penalty into the BBE goal.

Bloody missed though.

I also remember going to Oakwell many years ago, and seem to remember that being a permafrost ridden ice box too.

I have a vague memory of leaving Chorley one evening in light snow to arrive at Ewood to discover the game was off due to heavy snow. Would have been the late 80s against Portsmouth. I think Pompey where then in the 1st Division and were in the 2nd, FA Cup replay?

Boxing Day 1995, Rovers 2-0 Manchester City. Shearer and Batty scored.

The outside temp (according to the car when we parked up) was -12 degrees centigrade. There was steam coming off the pitch.

My sister had never been to a football match before. I bought her a pie at half time to try and delay frostbite, but 12 years on she has never been to another match.

I remember that game. I had a stinking hangover but the cold cured me pretty damn quickly.

The strangest weather ever had to be the FA Cup game against Spuds in about 1986 (I think) half way through the first half there was a short sharp shower of mars bars that rained down on Gazza!

Grimsby (h) I think, end of season mid 80's. Ewood had just experienced a long hot, dry spell. It started spitting about 2.30pm and when we came out of the pub at 2.55pm the match had been called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

:brfc:

something similar happened in 92/93. we due to play wimbledon over the xmas period, and there was a deluge from about 12:00pm.

the game was postponed at 2:55pm, and then vinny decided to run around the pitch and belly-flop into every puddle he could find! :rolleyes:

last season was terrible bad weather wise - you could count the number of dry/ decent match-days on 1 hand! :wacko:

I have a vague memory of leaving Chorley one evening in light snow to arrive at Ewood to discover the game was off due to heavy snow. Would have been the late 80s against Portsmouth. I think Pompey where then in the 1st Division and were in the 2nd, FA Cup replay?

Oh yes, I remember that one. I would say it was maybe the early 80's. Being an Ewood lad I was sledging down the ramp in St Bart's playground and snow was so bad you could hardly see the floodlights from maybe 300 yards away. It was a genuine blizzard for 20 minutes or so. Great snow though!

I remember going on Ewood as a kid in the late 70s/early 80s and they were using those old braziers (like the striking miners used, not womens support garments!) to thaw the ground out. Me, my dad and the dog had a good wander around, helping sweep the snow of the pitch. Imagine that these days, we'd probably get arrested.

I`ve been on Ewood when the fog dropped down & you couldn`t see the Darwen End goal.

Have also been on Ewood (vs Man City) during the glory days (mid 90s) & the scoreboard kept showing the temp dropping. It finally reached -7 degrees. That was bloody cold just sitting there! :rover:

I`ve been on Ewood when the fog dropped down & you couldn`t see the Darwen End goal.

Have also been on Ewood (vs Man City) during the glory days (mid 90s) & the scoreboard kept showing the temp dropping. It finally reached -7 degrees. That was bloody cold just sitting there! :rover:

The fog when we played Oxford United (then a 1st Division team!) in the early rounds of the Full Members Cup run was unbelievable!

December 28thish 1994, game called off as Ewood's undersoil heating broke. It wasn't that cold but it was wet and it flooded the pitch.

Coventry City 1993-1994. A midweek game. It was absolutely freezing, a bit like the City game already mentioned.

Archived