BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes Signs New Deal

philipl

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it's a fixed term 3 yrs, followed by a 12 month rolling contract. Which sounds to me as though he intends to give it two more seasons, then see how the land lies.

So, two seasons JW, to meet his aspirations. Or to put it another way, rovers must meet his aspirations for the next two seasons. [slightly different].

I think its great news for Rovers and shows the progressiveness in the way the club is making strides going forwards.

For me its stability at a time when the team are finally getting recognition that they are an established top 10 team in the PL.

It proves that john Williams and the Board are certainly on the same wavelength as the manager.

It proves beyond doubt that the club is in a stable position otherwise why would he have stayed ?

It provides Rovers with an adequate insurance policy should a bigger club come knocking.

Should Rovers manage to finish top 6 this season, a position which is theirs for the taking, then the next step is the top 4. the club must have financial plans in place to ensure the players we require to achieve that goal are signed.

Should be an interesting time in the next transfer window.

:brfcsmilie:

MH..... So John I expect you want me to sign a new contract so that if another club comes in for me you will get a huge payout in compensation for me going?

JW.... Yes that just about sums it up Mark. Spot on.

MH .... Right I'll sign just as soon as you put a clause in agreeing to me getting 50% of that sum.

JW .... No probs Mark. Done and dusted! Here's a pen.

Happy days all round eh? :tu:

MH..... So John I expect you want me to sign a new contract so that if another club comes in for me you will get a huge payout in compensation for me going?

MH .... Right I'll sign just as soon as you put a clause in agreeing to me getting 50% of that sum.

You sure you are not doing drugs?

Pretty much spot on I would imagine apart from the bit about the 50% (bung to the manager) clause which seems to be one of gordon's personal hobbyhorses.

Why would we agree to reward the manager for walking out???? :blink:

A huge loyalty bonus, for staying longer than expected, maybe!

"I think things are happening behind the scenes, but nothing that we can get excited about at the moment," Hughes added. "I think the next two years will be very significant for us."

If thats a word perfect quote the last word is warming the cockles of my heart. Too many of our managers hae referred to 'us' as 'Blackburn' over the years.

Bloody hell Simon! Like we have any say in the matter? :rolleyes:

We don't obviously, he'll go when the time is right for him (or in the unlikely event things go pear shaped Souness fashion)

We can as a club however do our best to delay that fateful day by:

1) Paying him as much as possible in terms of basic pay

2) Building in generous bonuses for League points accumulated etc

3) Building in an even more generous loyalty bonus

What we don't do hopefully is reward him for selling our best players and/or walking out!

:tu:

I have a feeling that Hughes is not a man motivated by money even though he could no doubt retire right now and live like a king.I genuinely believe he is more motivated by success and the need of the full backing of the people around him,board members,players and fans alike.So long as this continues I'm sure his tenure at Ewood will continue to be a success story all round for the blue 'n' whites.Again,special praise I believe is owed to John Williams with the appointment of Hughes......the club appears very stable on all levels.

:rover: COME ON YOU BLUES(AND WHITES!) :brfc:

Personally, I'm a little concerened. Hughes is getting an awful lot of press and air time lately it seems, I catch the odd little phrase now and then that he may be testing the waters, very very subtle little messages that although sound long term and in the distant future it clearly signals he sees his career path as somewhere other than Ewood. Could well tempt a suitor to test the waters.

I also can't make up my mind as to whether the new love affair is gen or an effort to shop him around to get him away from Ewood. The unjustified barracking as bully boys did not work, perhaps now a more positive approach will pry him away and THEN they can all celebrate that pesky little Blackburn's demise and boast about their I told you so's.

We don't obviously, he'll go when the time is right for him (or in the unlikely event things go pear shaped Souness fashion)

We can as a club however do our best to delay that fateful day by:

1) Paying him as much as possible in terms of basic pay

2) Building in generous bonuses for League points accumulated etc

3) Building in an even more generous loyalty bonus

What we don't do hopefully is reward him for selling our best players and/or walking out!

:tu:

All three of those are nice but I don't think they come close to the best means of keeping Hughes at Ewood.

My way of keeping him would 100% support on the financial side in his bringing in players, go out on a limb if we need to. He's proved his savvy in the market and I don't think we need fear any Grabbi, Davies situations, although I do get the feeling Sparky personally does not like to spend money even if it is available I think he is still going to be frugal even with a Detroit Bank Roll in his pocket.

Next would be for the townsfolk of Blackburn and fans from surrounding areas start showing their approval of his efforts by showing up for games, I tihnk that would be huge for the crowds to start flocking in. If it is entertainment they want then this current Rovers side can be as entertaining as any I have seen in all my years of watching, with the possible exception of the MacKenzie, waggy, bailey, hird era but the quality is obviously far and away better.

I don't subscribe to the view that 'Hughes does not like to spend money'. He does not have much choice in the matter.

The reason he has been shopping in the bargain basement is because we do not have any money (well not lots of it!).

I do think with the TV deal we may be able to spend a bit more than in previous years, but we simply don't have the resources.

Archived