• Samba
    • Warnock
    • bentley
    • Savage
    • Reid
    • MGP
    • Santa
    • McCarthy.

Gamst has been horrible all season (I don't want to sell him), but Benni hasn't.

Our defending has been horrible for the past 5 or so games, so yesterday was hardly totally out of character.

You have absolutely no idea if Benni is influencing the squad in that way.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, in no way did we deserve ANYTHING. Wigan might be no great shakes, but they were better than us yesterday. But Den and Drog have a point - at a push, we could have even escaped with a win (scored three, missed a pen, RSC missed a header from a corner that he'd usually get on target, MGP brought down for a nailed on pen, a right royal goalmouth scramble near the end, and Wigan's fourth and fifth were blatantly offside).

But that brings me on to the second point - it would have papered over the cracks that are starting to appear. So in a way it was better to get beat (no I'm not glad, just a hopeless optimist ;) ). Thought Warnock was all over the place defensively, but rather than single out folk's poor performances, perhaps it'll be quicker to mention the decent ones : RSC was terrific, not just for the scoring exploits but for winning the ball and chasing when it was lumped forwards, then even though he conceded 5 difficult to criticize Brad, and I thought Reid didn't do too bad considering it was his first start for years (but that's clutching at straws a bit). As some others have said, it's been evident for a month or more that summat's up wi summat.

All I want for Christmas is the real Rovers team back.

I know I've added to the Benni-bashing, but on reflection I think he was told to play deep and let Rocky play up front by himself. Rocky did himself proud, but Benni was possibly not best suited to the role that I think he was allocated.

Benni is a bit of a goal-poacher extraodinaire, but if he's told to play deep and does what he is told then I don't think he can be blamed.

Thoughts anyone?

He's certainly playing deep, but I don't know if he's being told or if he is choosing to do it by himself. It would surprise if he's not being told to do it, as I would have thought Hughes would have told him to stop and it is also out of line with how he has played before.

Eddie - if you had been at the match you would have seen what we are saying. I am not falling out with you, but believe me - Benni does not care about Blackburn Rovers in any way shape or form.

In these days of mercenaries, do any players care about the club they play for.

Of course there is the exception to the rule, ie players born and bred at a specific club.

Better fan syndrome coming up.

Harsh reality is those who think they're the ''best supporters,'' are, usually, in fact, the most disillusioned.

I don't know if that is directed at me, but I certainly don't have that feeling.

Eddie - if you had been at the match you would have seen what we are saying. I am not falling out with you, but believe me - Benni does not care about Blackburn Rovers in any way shape or form.

As Alan pointed out, neither does 95% of that side. I think Benni cares about that team just about as much as any of the rest, I think he puts in the effort and I think he does his best, most games, which is true for most of them. I wasn't shocked by the effort he put in, I was just shocked by the quality of our defending.

Utterly shocking first half performance without a doubt. Too many poor performances to mention but Gamst, Warnock, Samba and Nelsen who rally plumbed the depths.

However, can't believe no-one's mentioned Hughes rushing to the technical area directly after the equaliser to change the system and shore it up. At the time Wigan were 'gone' regardless of the fact we were down to ten and we looked like scoring every time we got in the last third. Changing to a defensive formation invited them back on to us and put us on the back foot again.

That was a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" decision.

The defense was playing so attrociously from what I saw of the TV coverage that the only form of defence would have been attack. But to have left things as they were with a gungho all out nothing to lose formation when we had salvaged a point would have looked ludicrous in the event of Wigan scoring against our ten trying to camp in their half. It would also have been a realistic but massive vote of no confidence in the defenders by Sparky.

As it was we self-destructed again through Warnock's attrocious ball out for their 4th.

I think Benni cares about that team just about as much as any of the rest, I think he puts in the effort and I think he does his best, most games, which is true for most of them.

Eddie, don't wish to have a go at you and I realise it's impossible for you to see many live games but if you had you would understand McCarthy has never put in any real effort. I'm not his greatest fan by any stretch of the imagination, I'm not keen on players of his very laid back style. Last season he was scoring and contributing to the team effort. This season he is not scoring, disappears for long periods and often costs us poessession resulting in pressure being heaped back on a midfield and defense that is having a very tough time. Some of his passing almost makes me feel he is being deliberately too clever to make his team mates look daft.

In our current situation we need big, strong forwards who can hold the ball and create a touch of panic in the opposition. McCarthy does not do this and almost gives off an aura of not wanting to get his hands dirty. I can't recall an instance of him supporting RSC on Saturday

I have just given the following ratings to a chap from the Observer who will be printing my views tomorrow

Friedel 6

Emerton 2

Samba 3

Nelsen 3

Warnock 2

Reid 4

Savage 4

Bentley 3

Pedersen 2

McCarthy 3

Santa Cruz 9

With the result we had 8 players in the Observers Flops of the Week team!! :D Surely a record which will never be broken

Guess I won't be on anyone's christmas card list.

Probably not from amyone in the Ewood area ;)

I don't know if that is directed at me, but I certainly don't have that feeling.

It was said in defence of you Eddie, as people scorn your opinion as you live in France.

Yet people rejoice Philips opinion, though he lives in Malta.

Just shows people only accept what they want, no matter what glaring inconsistencies lye in their logic/s.

Why not? He cops it for most things round here! ;)

Knowing my luck it probably was my fault.

Had the parents down to visit, so didnt do my normal routine of listening on Radio Rovers, wearing my lucky shirt.

All my fault, i shall write a letter of appology to the club and fans as soon as I stop swearing about the injustice of it all.

And the missus has a cold, and thats my fault as well by all accounts.

grumpf

I know I've added to the Benni-bashing, but on reflection I think he was told to play deep and let Rocky play up front by himself. Rocky did himself proud, but Benni was possibly not best suited to the role that I think he was allocated.

Benni is a bit of a goal-poacher extraodinaire, but if he's told to play deep and does what he is told then I don't think he can be blamed.

Thoughts anyone?

I would have to agree with this. When I see Benni dropping back or tarting around on the wing I just think whats the point. He is the glory boy and as long as he thinks that and as long as we/Hughes/the players let him think that then Rovers will benefit from it. We wont benefit from telling him to drop back and work his socks off. I think this is why some appreciate Derbs and Roberts more - because they give their all - all of the time. While Roberts is giving his all - and you cant fault his work rate and game ethic there are times when he just cant finish and you wish Benni was back there.

Benni shouldnt have to drop back with the likes of Savage/Reid/Dunn/Emerton/Axe and to some extent Santa charging around - they are the guys to do that.

This said though, I could have ripped his head off the way he stroked that penalty softer than a new born kitten

Careful Wolverine - you may start to get lambasted as those of us did who brought this up last season - as its nothing new, difference is some of us go with what we see in front of our eyes. I have laid low on the McCarthy discussions this season as its a pointless argument IMO for something alot of us spotted some time ago. Anyway he certainly wasn't the worst on Saturday but so many people including myslef knew he was going to miss that penalty.

However, going away from the calling of players etc and not just reflecting on the Wigan game - some points that have been sort of touched upon but not picked up on but all I have mentioned for a while.

1. The chances we miss - as I have said before we always seem to come a cropper for missing our chances and more likely or not end up losing when we have plenty of decent enough chances to kill games off.

2. How easy we appear to be able to score against

3. Set pieces - need I say more (Wigan showed exactly how to take a freekick for the third goal).

4. Without reading back, mentioned already on this thread the lack of numbers when we attack.

5. The fannying about with the ball, where most of the time we end up losing possesion and especially in dangerous areas - something Warnock is very prone to doing, and as seen on Saturday normally ends up in the back of our net as a result. Ironically I said before he passed it back to Wigan to just hoof it out something we had been doing for nearly the whole match and they we all saw what happened.

The sad reflection of it all IMO is that we have not exactly played well at all except for possibly 2 or 3 games this season, and the calamity of Saturday just topped it all off.

The officials where yet again clueless and awful - but they did not cost us the game. Wigan wanted it more than us , yet I would not consider that they played well - just that we where that bad. Yes we probably could have won it with the 10 men (SC should have scored another at least if not x2) but decided then to start playing worse than in the first half.

Speaking to some Wigan fans in the Pub after the match and they where elated saying that that is the best they have played this season , especially after there tubbing at Bolton where to quote them ' their defending was like ours today' - says it all really.

SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT - you can except one maybe two players having an off day but nearly a complete team is inexcusable.

On reflection I'm not sure that the dream team of RSC and Benni is the best fit. RSC is a proper back to goal target man without doubt whilst McCarthy is supremely talented but his trickery should be saved for the opposition pen area not midfield. Problem is RSC playing 'up top' reduces Benni's time in the danger areas.

Midfield imo is the other weak area. Much was expected of Reid when he returned but he was never a creative influential player more a workhorse midfielder. Sav is not the same player that he was before he broke his leg. Tugay is a bit part player nowadays, and only useful when the opposition are willing to let him play. Dunny is capable of brilliance but is not mobile enough and his physique will always work against him.

The defence is suffering imo from the rest of the team allowing too many dangerous balls to reach our danger areas. When the opposition has the ball a good team will have 10 defenders and somehow this is not happening at the moment. Motivation against the teams lower in the div always seems to come into the equation with us and is prob a consequence of not having enough real strength in depth.

The priority imo is to strengthen and replace the central midfield and then the rest might just come right on its own.

Archived