• Samba
    • Warnock
    • bentley
    • Savage
    • Reid
    • MGP
    • Santa
    • McCarthy.

MGP has just utterly lost all he had by way of confidence and ability. The EPL is an incredibly tough, extremely heavily analysed league and every one of the other 19 clubs has a how to neutralise MGP dossier. Morten sadly doiesn't have the savvy or confidence to sort it.

That should read 'doesn't have the pace or trickery'

I also noticed Bruce spent the entire first half in the technical area barking instuctions to his team. I never once saw Hughes in there and we were shocking in the first half.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Put that lot together and how on earth can a luxury player like Benni McCarthy prosper. Moans and groans here about his attitude etc but this is one of the most silky skilful players I have ever seen in the famous halved shirts. If the rest were doing their jobs, Benni would be poaching away and giving us those never ever to be forgotten moments when he makes ordinary players look complete nonces. Playing in that shambles of a Rovers side, the guy doesn't stand a chance.

I agree with everything else, but I watched him especially closely today in the flesh and for the first time I honestly feel he has no interest in the cause and our interests would be better served cashing in if (and it's a big if) anyone is still interested.

It is worth noting that Roque received just as much 'support' from the rest of the lads as Benni.

I don't say this lightly, as I have defended him for a long time but today changed my mind mind. Roberts should be given his place instead as he at least runs a bit...

Nelsen was at fault for at least two of the goals. On the second (?) where Warnock was on the floor, I think he (Warnock) did really well and had to come all the way over from the left because Nelsen left a big gap.

On the 4th, he was irresponsible but neither Reid or Savage was looking for the pass, normally Tugay is stood there waiting for it.

What was Emerton doing? :(

That's Bert, Samba and Ooijer missing for the next game (Chelsea?).

I agree with everything else, but I watched him especially closely today in the flesh and for the first time I honestly feel he has no interest in the cause and our interests would be better served cashing in if (and it's a big if) anyone is still interested.

It is worth noting that Roque received just as much 'support' from the rest of the lads as Benni.

I don't say this lightly, as I have defended him for a long time but today changed my mind mind. Roberts should be given his place instead as he at least runs a bit...

Well, I've watched the entire match back and to be honest there was little he could do. I also agree with Radio Rovers from what I saw, when we went 2 down he actually put in a lot of effort to try and pick the others up. He cares, but we can't expect him to do the Savage job, the Benni job and the Samba job. He'll score goals, we know that, the rest need to sort it out and that's what he'll do.

I am probably Benni Mc's biggest fan but after today it has become clear that he is no longer interested. Not only is that dis-respectful to the team and fans it is also un-professional, this combined with the murmurings from Roberts and Mokoena has to start to undermine the team spirit, it is time to get rid of players who do not want to play for the club.

I think your spot on there Kamy......the unrest from certain players is the only reasonable explanation for this totally unexpected slump in form and squad confidence.

Too many babies throwing their dummys out the pram! :angry:

Big test for Hughes over the Christmas period. Dunny needs to play whenever available.

And MGP needs to be nowhere near the team. Can someone help me understand why Hughes is persisting with him. Yeah we lost and yeah it sucks but what a fun game to watch.

We went into the midfield obviously short in central midfield and I think it's this that has lead to the poor performances which have now lead to the arguments between players. Are we short in midfield because of a lack of money or because Hughes has been too cautious again? I think there was money in the pot but Hughes didn't make the signing we needed.

It was clear to me that a midfield of Mokoena, a past it Savage, past it Tugay, damaged good Reid and David Dunn was not going to ast until January never mind the full season.

I think the form of MGP should have been addressed and Bentley has also needed a kick up the arse a few times.

McArthy's attitude is not good enough but I think we would be getting much more from him if we had some pace down the flanks and better midfielders.

Nelsen is clearly not the player he was.

We had some good performances earlier this season but Hughes needs to catch up with some of the work he should have done in the Summer.

Will the board give him the money? Will we have new investors?

I don't want to be seen to be defending Benni or justifying his poor performances, no one deserves that, but I have to admit that playing in our side at the moment as a forward would be frustrating. You get virtually no service, have to do all of the work yourself and then you watch the opposition score easy goals. It would be very difficult to keep going in that situation. Obviously he should, he's paid well too, but I do feel he's a scapegoat for a lot of people when we have far more serious problems. People like to pick on one player, it makes us think we are closer to a solution, but at the end of the day this isn't the fault of Benni, Savage or Emerton as individuals, the poor play is a result of the way the entire team are conducting themsleves, playing and interacting on the pitch.

I've seen some pretty dire performances fom Rovers over the past 25 years and it all comes with supporting a football team. We got stuffed 5-0 by Barnsley some years ago. That was bad enough.

Perhaps we just had a day when Nelsen, Sambba & Warnock all made mistakes in the same 90 minutes; Savage, Bentley & Reid were pretty ineffectual; & Gamst was completely rubbish.

But I'd just like to reserve my ire for Emerton. The stupid sod got himself booked in the first half for a nothing challenge next to the corner flag and when went all "Saturday night drunk" wanna fight? wanna fight?" and got himself sent off. If we had 11 men on them field & then equalised to go 3-3 then maybe Wigan's heads would have dropped.

Then maybe if my uncle had tits then he would have been my aunt.

The good news is that I've just got my body temperature back to normal.

discipline is now becoming a problem more than ever. brett emerton should be ashamed, because he let his club and fans down very badly today. the ball was 30 years away, yet he insists on making that kind of challenge right under the nose of ref clattenburg, who incidently had a good game in my opinion. chirs samba looks all at sea and has done the last month or so and captain nelly is showing no composure. roque is jsut a class above all of his team mates at the moment, not just because he scored 3 times today but his general play around the park. i am convinced that some players will have been put on notice, and nobdy should be bullet proof. sparky put out a side today taht should have been able to cope with wigan, but they could not which is a detriment to the players, not the manager or coaching staff.

I too was upset with the game today, I understand the feelings about Emerton but to be fair he always does things like that as do a lot of players. I am not excusing that in any form just saying that the first card was harsh. I think we should remain supportive of the team as a whole and not go on witch hunts at the moment, we all know that people are not pulling their weight and I am sure MH has plans for them. Nelson in my opinion needs match practice and Samba at times just had a nightmare. Warnock did well except for his momentary lapses of reason. Savage ran around like a nutcase and harassed people as he does so well and Reid (as Nelson) needs more match practice. Gamst was indeed ghastly and Bentley seemed to care more about how he looked doing things rather than what the things he did resulted in. McCarthy seemed a bit put off again today but did run into midfield to catch the ball when the feeling took him. Santa Cruz tried to win the game by himself and threw his body around as much as possible. None of these things are by themselves game destroying, but as a whole they are horrific. Time is the key, I am sure, and we have some left, let us just hope that MH has cash in January.

You are spot on. We tried to play kick and rush like Wigan but were crap at it. That approach denied Bentley and McCarthy any hope of getting into the game. Reid and Nelson run slower than my Gran. Nelson makes Samba look worse than he is. Sambas jumping under the ball is impressively stupid but strangely funny. Why didn't MH try Pederson - OOOPS just checked the team sheet and he was playing. Actually I find the form of Pederson a great mystery - he can't be playing for a move - who in there right mind would buy him? unless its already set up that is. Warnock made a bad error or three but at least the guy tries. All in all Rovers have at last been found out to be a very mediocre team and in the abscence of Tugay bereft of any real midfield talent. How can the forwards play if the don't get a decent pass? What a pisser made more unbearable as a mate is from Wigan. Its at times like these I'm glad to be in Bangkok. Anyway roll on Arsenal and come on Rovers! Spellcheck not working it doesn't recognise the words Wigan or Pedersen - makes sense really.

Hughes needs to take a good look at what he has.

Nelsen has lost a yard of pace and is looking half the player he was at his peak- therefore making Samba poor as well.

Defensive errors from our full backs have cost us dear in the past two games. Emerton on Sunday and Warnock today. Emerton should be hanging his head in shame, we had got back on level terms and he gets himself sent off. With Ooijer out until 2008, we have no cover back there.

Interesting that Mokoena and Roberts weren't even in the 16.

McCarthy was diabolical again, and don't even get me started on Pedersen. All I'll say is that if I had underperformed in my job for as long as he has in his, then I'd be out of a job. Time to get rid.

If players want to spit their dummies out each time they don't play then I don't want them at the club. I want players who will give 110% every game not some over paid cry baby who takes his dummy home every time he doesn't start.

Tactics were awful today, it just seemed to be hoof it upto the front two and we'll see what we can do. No use of the wingers and surprise surprise, first time we got down the right we scored.

So annoyed-Wigan hadn't won since August!

I have already said before that the problem of Hughes is that he does not have any good "plan B". If we are behind, Hughes actually do not have any idea or method to change the situation. He just hope that the situation will just change itself. However most of you do not agree with me at that time. I really hope that I am wrong but this match proove that I am right...

Manager like Sir Alex will act immediately after the team get behind but Hughes always wait. I don't know what he is waiting for. Luck?

Put that lot together and how on earth can a luxury player like Benni McCarthy prosper. Moans and groans here about his attitude etc but this is one of the most silky skilful players I have ever seen in the famous halved shirts. If the rest were doing their jobs, Benni would be poaching away and giving us those never ever to be forgotten moments when he makes ordinary players look complete nonces. Playing in that shambles of a Rovers side, the guy doesn't stand a chance.

I'm not sure if you're using luxury to describe McCarthy's play or to suggest having one player of his undoubted ability is a luxury for the fans. If you get my drift. Teams like Rovers can't afford luxury players in that sense, games have to be won, sure Manchester United can afford the luxury of highly skilled players with lots of tricks. Frankly Rovers can't as it is rare those little tricks win games.

Watching McCarthy live since he arrived it's clear he has an attitude problem, some days he can bothered, most of the time he just isn't interested. Now it may be because we all watch PL football but most of us expect effort from our players, especially strikers. Benni simply skulks around waiting for an opportunity to come his way, when we are playing well that works to a degree, but in our current situation it makes Benni look like an idle so and so who couldn't care less about the club. He is good, extremely talented, but that doesn't make him effective in our team.

Yesterday McCarthy was nowhere to be seen while RSC, an all action centre-forward, was busy trying to win the game single-handed. I think it's clear the type of player best suited to our side. RSC created problems for Wigan throughiout the game, Benni contributed nothing. If he'd been up there supporting Roque he might well have nicked a goal or two.

The other problem we need to address is getting midfielders into the box to support the strikers. Watching City, a team we should be on par with, against Bolton they frequently got 2 or 3 men in the box waiting for the fourth to put in a cross.

Cant belive we conceded 5 against Wigan!!

Was anybody on the 11:07 Manchester Victoria train? How packed was that train! Apart from the result I had a very go day out and the first time in ages that I've lost my voice at a football match.

Our defence were poor today and were knackered next Sunday against Chelsea with no proper right back, Cheers Emerton.

Archived