BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

The Boars head in Hoghton (10 mins walk for me) is a place that has been garbage for years....however the landlord of The Boatyard just bought it (a snip at £450K I believe)has just done it up and the ale and food are to be recommended (Thwaites Bitter at £2-10p compared to £2-60p at my local The Royal Oak.)

The food is much better and well recommended by the people who have tried it in the last week, it is trad English style.

I expect that if the new ownership does not work they could always follow the trend and convert it to houses.

Go the the Wagamama about every other month and like it.but then there are several of us and having company makes a difference possibly.Others I like in the area for pre/post concert nosh are The Bank and the Grinch basically cos of you get such good stuff for about £6-£10 and theres happy hour prices of course..

Edited by JC4LAB

I went brittania a couple of months ago, wasn`t too impressed either.

However if you want a cracking indian go USHA (the old brown cow), best indian i`ve had by a mile.

I can second that, I go to Usha regularly, although steer clear of the Sunday buffet, not a patch on the standard menu. The food at Usha seems that bit better than most Indians I've sampled. I rate it above Shajan on Longsight Rd & Shylet at Lango.

Go the the Wagamama about every other month and like it.but then there are several of us and having company makes a difference possibly.Others I like in the area for pre/post concert nosh are The Bank and the Grinch basically cos of you get such good stuff for about £6-£10 and theres happy hour prices of course..

Where's/what's the Bank?

Thanks!

• Backroom

Finally ate in Rishtons 'Auberge' with er indoors last night Abbey. Loved it too. More fool me for not following your recommendation sooner. Unfortunately at 8.30 on a Wed night there was only one other couple in. Dunno if that is the norm but if so it might be a case of use it or lose it. No doubt this restaurant would thrive if it was anywhere else. Anywhere between Preston and Lpool on the A59 for example and it would make a killing.

I'll certainly be going again.

Thats the norm sadly Theno, we used to take advantage of the Early Bird diners menu often we would be the only ones in.

The chefs a top bloke as well, I worked there as a kid washing up and he gradually let me move on to helping prep work in the kitchen, I loved it and would have loved to be a chef but would never make it due to my fussyness.

Went to Tampopo on The Golden Triangle on Tuesday night which has a mixture of Thai, Malaysian and Vietneamese meals on the menu, basically lots of stir fry dishes. It was excellent. Good food, very delicately flavoured with all the spices coming through, well prepared, quick, friendly service. £40 for two including one starter, two mains, one vegetable dish, one desert, two glasses of wine and green tea for two. Really enjoyed this and much as I liked Wagamama the previous week I'd pick Tampopo ahead of it. If you Google Tampopo you can download a two for one voucher but we didn't find that till after we'd eaten!!

Fleetwood Mac on the other hand was the most disappointing concert I've ever seen. Rubbish sound, very poor view and a performance lacking in energy, other than Lyndsey Buckingham's performance which held the whole thing together, such as it was. Without doubt this should be renamed The Pension Fund Tour.

Edited by Paul

Danlad..This is the Bank..

http://www.manchester.com/restaurants/details/602/the_bank.html

and this the Grinch.. Check the menu ..happy hour prices are unbelievable.

http://www.grinch.co.uk/

Thanks JC4LAB!

I'll give the Bank a try.

Long while since I've been to Grinch, too. Might be time for a return visit!

we had an excellent meal last night...yang little sing yng or something like that ...10/10.

I went to Little Yang Sing a few weeks ago. It was good.

I got a bit too merry, though. Left my laptop there and missed the last train home! Thankfully, the taxi fare wasn't too bad and I managed to retrieve the laptop the next day!

Me and Mrs Sidders seem to have been eating out far too much of late and over the last few we months we've been to...

Nuraghe's (Italian - used to be Quattro's) at Samlesbury - very good food, good service and pleasant atmosphere. Surprisingly very quiet for a Saturday night. I didn't like it when it was Quattro's as it felt like motorway services.

Usha at Burnley - good food, generally good service (they kept us waiting a long time for our main course but gave us free drinks) and not bad at all. Been there many times and never been disappointed. Good value too.

Calf's Head at Worston - good pub grub and you get a lot for your buck. Service is a bit sour though.

Tampopo at Trafford Centre - really rather good east Asian food with no frills. The Japanese stuff is very fine. Friendly inobtrusive service.

Siam Palace (above Judge Walmsley) at Billington - in a word, sh1te. I went for the chef's special and it was flavourless and a stodgy mess. Mrs Sidders enjoyed her sea bass in fancy sauce but I thought it was vile. Decor was very, very shabby (especially the downstairs waiting area) and the menus looked like they had been typed by a chimpanzee. Friendly service though.

Shajan on A59 at Clayton le Dale - eaten there many times and it's always been fairly decent but last time was truly dreadful. Excessively loud background music that seemed to consist of a screeching jazz trumpet solo on a permanent loop, dreadful service and really bland food. The service was so bad I'd have to think long and hard about ever going back.

La Tasca in Liverpool - you'd be hard pressed to screw up tapas (especially if you do it for a living) but this lot managed it. We went for the chef's special set menu and regretted it. Overpriced, lukewarm food served by crap staff and it wasn't even busy at the time. I've been to the Manchester branch on Deansgate in the past and liked it.

Pizza Express in Salford - best place for pizza and good value based on sheer volume of food. Staff generally very good but one waiter came close to a thick ear.

Three Fishes at Mitton - I think it's overpriced, better than average pub food. She loves it. It's a pleasant place to go though for no frills eating.

• 2 weeks later...

Me and Mrs Sidders seem to have been eating out far too much of late and over the last few we months we've been to...

Nuraghe's (Italian - used to be Quattro's) at Samlesbury - very good food, good service and pleasant atmosphere. Surprisingly very quiet for a Saturday night. I didn't like it when it was Quattro's as it felt like motorway services.

Usha at Burnley - good food, generally good service (they kept us waiting a long time for our main course but gave us free drinks) and not bad at all. Been there many times and never been disappointed. Good value too.

Calf's Head at Worston - good pub grub and you get a lot for your buck. Service is a bit sour though.

Tampopo at Trafford Centre - really rather good east Asian food with no frills. The Japanese stuff is very fine. Friendly inobtrusive service.

Siam Palace (above Judge Walmsley) at Billington - in a word, sh1te. I went for the chef's special and it was flavourless and a stodgy mess. Mrs Sidders enjoyed her sea bass in fancy sauce but I thought it was vile. Decor was very, very shabby (especially the downstairs waiting area) and the menus looked like they had been typed by a chimpanzee. Friendly service though.

Shajan on A59 at Clayton le Dale - eaten there many times and it's always been fairly decent but last time was truly dreadful. Excessively loud background music that seemed to consist of a screeching jazz trumpet solo on a permanent loop, dreadful service and really bland food. The service was so bad I'd have to think long and hard about ever going back.

La Tasca in Liverpool - you'd be hard pressed to screw up tapas (especially if you do it for a living) but this lot managed it. We went for the chef's special set menu and regretted it. Overpriced, lukewarm food served by crap staff and it wasn't even busy at the time. I've been to the Manchester branch on Deansgate in the past and liked it.

Pizza Express in Salford - best place for pizza and good value based on sheer volume of food. Staff generally very good but one waiter came close to a thick ear.

Three Fishes at Mitton - I think it's overpriced, better than average pub food. She loves it. It's a pleasant place to go though for no frills eating.

There is also an Usha on Haslingdon Old Rd in Ossy, what used to be Ye Olde Brown Cow, it's excellent. As for the Shajan, I'll never go again. I used to enjoy it but in the last 12months or so it's really gone down hill.

If anyone can tell me a better place to dine than The Royal Oak at Pleckgate I would be amazed. Top quality food, good prices and a pleasant atmosphere. Two of the best chefs in Blackburn too.

I take it the Royal Oak has picked up again? I used to be in there every night and have Saturday and Sunday lunch there with my mates. It used to be a cracking pub with what's got to be the best local produce possible.

Is it still a traditional menu? I think I'll give it a try in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by unluckymorton

This is a bit off topic but there you go. I travel a lot for work at certain times which increasingly means a night in a PremierInn. I find I can't drive as far for as long as when I was younger, what used to be day trips have become overnight trips. I shall probably scream if I have to spend another night in a PremierInn and have recently tried Ibis. I think Ibis is much better than Premier and wondered if people can recommend other chains. My criteria are, in no particular order: consistent standard, wi fi, bar, good sound-proofing, good blackout curtains, comfortable bed, decent bathroom, anything up to £70 per night excluding food / drink. Places with decent food, Ibis is OK compared to the Premier crap, would be very welcome.

Im happy with independent hotels as well but don't have time to go looking for them.

Got to say Red Pump was excellent , their venison raviolli starter was superb...Also a great pint of Black Sheep..higly recommended

We ate at the Red Pump last night - it was very impressive indeed. The specials board included teal as a starter (pan fried to medium rare, on mash + cabbage with a red wine sauce) - never eaten it before and it was melt-in-the-mouth gorgeous. As was the main, and the desert.

Having eaten at Whitewell and 3 of Nigel Howarth's locals in recent months, I would have to say that the Red Pump was the best of the lot, both for the food and the overall enjoyment of being there - and I do like them all!

Will certainly be back there soon, and can't recommend it highly enough.

Red Pump

If anyone can tell me a better place to dine than The Royal Oak at Pleckgate I would be amazed. Top quality food, good prices and a pleasant atmosphere. Two of the best chefs in Blackburn too.

But then you would say that wouldn't you Brownie? :rolleyes:

Please note .........

a. You are not :wstu:

and

b. My names Billy Hunt not .........

btw I thought advertising on this site was linked to revenue. Prob give it a go though. :tu:

Unfortunatly there seems to be a serious lack of good places to eat in Liverpool. However I reckon we've got more macdonalds per square mile than any other city, they are everywhere.

Tris whats teal??

I think Ibis is much better than Premier and wondered if people can recommend other chains.

The Qualityinn/Comfort inn group are simliar but are international.but you tend to find them near airports..Used a few abroad ..There are some in the Uk but maybe not that many...

Quote"Unfortunatly there seems to be a serious lack of good places to eat in Liverpool."

My fav on a visit to Liverpool is the Chinese eat all yer want buffet at St Johns accross from Lime street Station..Cant go wrong there..

Edited by JC4LAB