BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Sounds promising. I might give it a go. I'm not after The Ivy, just some good home cooked food, I can't do with Brewers Fayre and the like.

I take it it's near the little 9 hole golf course?

Vaguely yes but not on the same road. From Blackburn follow the A674 towards Chorley, go through the dip and S bends into Higher Wheelton, look for newsagents on left after S bends, the pub is then about 0.25 miles on right.

Vaguely yes but not on the same road. From Blackburn follow the A674 towards Chorley, go through the dip and S bends into Higher Wheelton, look for newsagents on left after S bends, the pub is then about 0.25 miles on right.

And if you do go and eat at the Golden Lion, make sure you also take Paul's tip from a year back - go another couple of hundred yards towards Chorley and buy some amazing local lamb from what I think is the best farm shop in the area. I don't buy lamb from anywhere else now, also get eggs and some veg from there. Truly a local food hero without the inflated prices of some other "farm shops".

Well if we're doing butchers now (well meat suppliers) I can recommend Spout House Farm in Higher Wheelton. On the left as you drive from Blackburn. Open Friday, Saturday, Sunday 11.00 to 4.00pm. Superb home grown meat, nice cheeses, nice people and great cakes (made by a local lady). I think they are looking to expand if the refurbisment of a lrage barn is anything to go by. We no longer buy meat products in supermarkets, everything is at Spout House, ten times the quality and the same price if not cheaper than Tesco.

Spout House

Edited by Tris

Home? :huh:

Thanks for that mate.

And if you do go and eat at the Golden Lion, make sure you also take Paul's tip from a year back - go another couple of hundred yards towards Chorley and buy some amazing local lamb from what I think is the best farm shop in the area. I don't buy lamb from anywhere else now, also get eggs and some veg from there. Truly a local food hero without the inflated prices of some other "farm shops".

Spout House

Cheers for that Tris, sounds my sort of place. I'll give it a go.

I'm out for Sunday lunch with the family and in-laws this weekend, can anybody recommend somewhere I can get a good home cooked Sunday lunch? Blackburn area preferably, I don't want to be going too far with the in-laws....

You can't go wrong at the Clog & Billycock mate....a touch more expensive than your usual pub grub, but everything is good.....real good.

You can't go wrong at the Clog & Billycock mate....a touch more expensive than your usual pub grub, but everything is good.....real good.

Good call. It's a few years since I've been in there. Thursday nights used to be great! I don't mind paying that little bit more for good food. It may be wasted on the in-laws though, might save that one for the week after!

Yeah I know what you mean....my in-laws just look at the price and moan that its not 2 meals for a fiver.....The goats cheese tart starter at the C&B is simply marvellous. ^_^

Welcome to my world Sparky! I'll deffo safe C&B for a more quiet enjoyable meal with my Mrs.

I could even leave my car there and go round all the old haunts of Revidge and Pleckgate! If any are still open...

Did the Three Fishes at Mitton at the weekend.

Pretty good, I think I got the best deal. The 84 year old didn't have the appetite to finish off the main course (although it was appreciated) and the 14 year old got unfilleted Fleetwood fish, so the bones were a bit of a chore.

The sweets were grand though.

Smith and Wollensky's is the best steak and chop restaurant I've ever been too, however it's a little on the expensive side but well worth it. A good tip is to go into the bar grill rather than the restaurant side as you'll pay over the top in the restaurant and get treated more as a regular/local in the grill bar.

Add my recommendation of Smith and Wollensky to this as well - The Seafood platter starter is superb - especially if you're not paying

• Backroom
I'm out for Sunday lunch with the family and in-laws this weekend, can anybody recommend somewhere I can get a good home cooked Sunday lunch? Blackburn area preferably, I don't want to be going too far with the in-laws....

Not the greatest environment but the food at The Auberge in Rishton is usually superb and they do a Sunday Lunch menu.

American - Any reviews on this - I fancy some BBQ

Just got back from the Tower Hill branch.

Started with the Nacho platter and the cheese was underheated and the salsa was average at best (not shocking for salsa in Europe).

The Mrs had the hot dog which was good, but not hard to do. I had the burnt ends and pulled pork combo. REALLY good BBQ sauce with the burnt ends and the pulled pork was good, not too dry. Both meals came with chips (closer to fries, though) that seemed a bit cold. Going to try the Clapham North one to see if they have a better chef, but like I said, the BBQ was good.

Went to the newly and excellently refurbished Freemasons at Wiswell last night. Excellent dining experience with superb quality food well presented and a fine selection of cask beers.

Maybe not recommended for those with a voracious appetite. For the first time in years I had a pudding!

Only query I have is that there are so many quality eateries within a couple of miles radius I wonder how they will all survive.

If the area gets a really strong reputation for superb food (which they are) then they grow the market between them.

What is clear, the future for any pub not doing sensational grub in the Ribble valley area is zero. Unless it has a local crowd to support it by drinking a lot, it will be finished.

There are many areas in France and Italy where there is a similar agglomeration of superb eateries in seemingly rural and not well to do parts and they do fine without having four million plus people within forty miles of their doorsteps.

• 4 weeks later...

In Manchester with the family last night and wanted something quick and good before going to see Michael McCintyre. We ended up at "wagamama" a modern Thai style restaurant on the Golden Triangle in the bottom of The Printworks building. Four people, two starters, four mains and drinks for £59 which I thought very good value for city centre in the early evening. A very varied menu, well presented and nicely cooked. A busy place were you sit at bench tables, as each meal is ready it's brought to you rather than waiting for all four to be served at once. If I wanted to be picky my curry was slightly cooler than I'd have wished but otherwise all very good. This is a place to have a drink, a good quick meal and chat, not for lingering over a long meal. Recommended.

My boss is a huge fan of Wagamama, I could take it or leave it.

While up there this weekend, I had a below average meal at the Britannia - shrimp appetizer was pretty good, fish and chips was passable, but the mushy peas were cold.

Then had a really good Sunday roast at Three Fishes.

While up there this weekend, I had a below average meal at the Britannia - shrimp appetizer was pretty good, fish and chips was passable, but the mushy peas were cold.

Then had a really good Sunday roast at Three Fishes.

Sorry Charlie. We won't take you there again. :(

I think it does what it says on the tin. I wouldn't rave about it but had good food, boisterous fun atmosphere and a good chat for an hour. I wouldn't go for a night out but was happy with popping in for a quick meal. I'm sure you get my drift. Good value

Very brave Paul, running the risk of bringing up your nice meal all over the theatre. wink.gif

laugh.gif yep I suppose prawns were a bit of a gamble!

auberge again......BEST SCOFF IN BRITAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally ate in Rishtons 'Auberge' with er indoors last night Abbey. Loved it too. More fool me for not following your recommendation sooner. Unfortunately at 8.30 on a Wed night there was only one other couple in. Dunno if that is the norm but if so it might be a case of use it or lose it. No doubt this restaurant would thrive if it was anywhere else. Anywhere between Preston and Lpool on the A59 for example and it would make a killing.

I'll certainly be going again.

Edited by thenodrog