• Kishi
    • Warnock
    • Bentley
    • Tugay
    • Reid
    • McCarthy
    • Berner
    • Santa Cruz

For the first 15 minutes of the first half, and 5 minute patches in the second, they bossed us. Aside from that, I thought we were quite good, but had trouble getting past their defence (it really is quite good, and all of them have PACE).

I saw the plan immediately, it was stop their initial rush and then frustrate them by keeping the ball. Part 2 worked out ok, and I can't help feeling that if they hadn't scored first, they would have gotten very frustrated indeed. As it was, they got frustrated enough that I though they were going to blow, but in the end only the yellow for Fabregas was shown. Once or twice I saw Benni quite clearly get pulled back, but nothing was given. Lehmann had Bentley's number from the corners, and if they were guilty of trying to pass it into the net, we were just as bad. Both Reid and Tugay didn't hit it from good positions.

Frankly, we were unfortunate to lose against an Arsenal team with some of the best players playing in the Premiership on it. Bad weekend to lose too. If results went really well for L'Arsé, they couldn't have gone too much worse for us.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:rover: i'd be happy never to see benni in a rovers shirt again,he was fouled in the build up to the 1st goal which would have been seen if it was in the other area,but the guy is not intrested,give me derbyshire anyday :brfcsmilie:

I've probbaly been one of his biggest critics Waggy but as mentioned this was comments from UTD fans.

Ironically, I actually think he has done ok in spells when given a chance this season, however what everybody else seems to be venting their spleen about now is what I mentioned in the first few months of him being here - with his goals masking his wayward performances and I warned then about what would happen when the goals stopped.

Another thing though, when his mind is on it and he can be bothered he is an exceptional goalscorer -however, at the point when we probably need him and give him chance to perform and getting the best from him as he was ie scoring goals he is played deep or as a midfielder come striker due to Hughes's desire to play as more as a 451 formation most of the time which I find absolutely bizarre. :blink:

:rover: i'd be happy never to see benni in a rovers shirt again,he was fouled in the build up to the 1st goal which would have been seen if it was in the other area,but the guy is not intrested,give me derbyshire anyday :brfcsmilie:

I agree with you on mccarthy never wearing the shirt again because he clearley couldn't give a damn about the club,but derbyshire just cant cut it yet unfortunatley,so its no wonder that hughes was looking for another striker in the window , he clearly only has confidence in santa cruz out of our strikers.Lets hope that santa 's mate nelson cuevas (also his international strike partner), shows the same determination and quality as to what his fellow countryman has shown for us already this season :rover:

I agree with you on mccarthy never wearing the shirt again because he clearley couldn't give a damn about the club

:wstu:

No-one has worked harder than McCarthy in the last two games, we're just playing a system now which doesn't suit him...plus his confidence is shot, which doesn't help.

I can't understand how people are claiming last night as a good performance, and Hughes' comments astound (and worry) me. We were behind from the third minute last night yet managed just one shot on goal in the remaning 87+ minutes, and that's a good performance? Getting a few triangles going in the centre of midfield does not equal a good performance.

We could have played that game twenty times over last night and we would lose every single time, probably by heavier scorelines unless Friedel managed to repeat his superman antics. Just as the 6-2 was flattering to Arsenal last season (we genuinely could have got something from that game), the 2-0 was flattering to us this season because there was never a chance in hell of us getting anything.

No-one has worked harder than McCarthy in the last two games, we're just playing a system now which doesn't suit him...plus his confidence is shot, which doesn't help.

I can't understand how people are claiming last night as a good performance, and Hughes' comments astound (and worry) me. We were behind from the third minute last night yet managed just one shot on goal in the remaning 87+ minutes, and that's a good performance? Getting a few triangles going in the centre of midfield does not equal a good performance.

We could have played that game twenty times over last night and we would lose every single time, probably by heavier scorelines unless Friedel managed to repeat his superman antics. Just as the 6-2 was flattering to Arsenal last season (we genuinely could have got something from that game), the 2-0 was flattering to us this season because there was never a chance in hell of us getting anything.

His body langauge suggests he does not give a damn. Do you not think that mccarthy looked like the player to be putting in the most effort due to the fact that he hardly ever puts in any effort what so ever, he is lazy ,very lazy in fact , though undoubtebly talented,All in all then Well done benni for stretching your legs :rolleyes:

Good point. Santa Cruz is now taking up the forward position that McCarthy held so succesfully last season and for most of his career. He's being forced to play deeper so it's small wonder that his goals total and confidence have diminished. His undoubted skill and mercurial abilities are undoubtedly best in the opposition box, unfortunately he is not able to be there as often as he was.

Had any of it happened in Arsenal's half of the pitch it might have looked even better.

:blink:

Might have been just the job had we been one up. Pretty useless at one down.

Having read most of the thread now and bitten my tongue I have to ask you Rev (and a few others as well) did you actually SEE the match or are you just going on what you have heard on a commentary or read somewhere? Because quite frankly what you are saying in your successive posts regarding this match makes no sense at all.

OK I accept that we got off to a very poor start by gifting the Arse one of the easiest goals they will ever score. McCarthy was just brushed aside by Senderos and made no attempt whatever to recover the situation leaving Senderos with a free header that he simply could not miss. So that puts us 1 down in 3 mins away at the Arse; not a good situation! But did the heads go down? NO THEY DID NOT. We fairly quickly got into the rythmn of the game and from there on it was first them, and then us having prolonged bouts of passing and keeping posession. There was the occasional sloppy pass, but not very many, and of course there were some good interceptions by both sides. I am not arguing that Arsenal did not create more threats on our goal, they did, but every time we either defended well or Brad saved our bacon. They also hit the woodwork a couple of times.

But the point I want to make is that there were at least 3 spells of us keeping the ball for long periods (one of them I actually timed in my recorded version at almost 3 mins) and the crowd each time getting on Arsenal's backs. Very early in the second half we got the ball and passed our way into their half and stayed there passing it around with them chasing shadows, and the crowd going mental. Unfortunately we were not able to create any real danger to their goal, but there was nothing wrong with the posession football. Although to hear some people they do not seem to be able to register these facts at all.

Anyway, I have all the proof necessary on my DVD recording of the whole match, including the fairly lavish praise from the Setanta pundits at half-time. Although the studio ones at the end could not stop drooling about Arsenal and how they are now 5 points clear etc. They completely forgot to even mention the Rovers.

Good point. Santa Cruz is now taking up the forward position that McCarthy held so succesfully last season and for most of his career. He's being forced to play deeper so it's small wonder that his goals total and confidence have diminished. His undoubted skill and mercurial abilities are undoubtedly best in the opposition box, unfortunately he is not able to be there as often as he was.

And when he has been there he's done nothing . lets just hope he gets used to the system and gets back to what we all know he is capable of doing

Having read most of the thread now and bitten my tongue I have to ask you Rev (and a few others as well) did you actually SEE the match or are you just going on what you have heard on a commentary or read somewhere? Because quite frankly what you are saying in your successive posts regarding this match makes no sense at all.

OK I accept that we got off to a very poor start by gifting the Arse one of the easiest goals they will ever score. McCarthy was just brushed aside by Senderos and made no attempt whatever to recover the situation leaving Senderos with a free header that he simply could not miss. So that puts us 1 down in 3 mins away at the Arse; not a good situation! But did the heads go down? NO THEY DID NOT. We fairly quickly got into the rythmn of the game and from there on it was first them, and then us having prolonged bouts of passing and keeping posession. There was the occasional sloppy pass, but not very many, and of course there were some good interceptions by both sides. I am not arguing that Arsenal did not create more threats on our goal, they did, but every time we either defended well or Brad saved our bacon. They also hit the woodwork a couple of times.

But the point I want to make is that there were at least 3 spells of us keeping the ball for long periods (one of them I actually timed in my recorded version at almost 3 mins) and the crowd each time getting on Arsenal's backs. Very early in the second half we got the ball and passed our way into their half and stayed there passing it around with them chasing shadows, and the crowd going mental. Unfortunately we were not able to create any real danger to their goal, but there was nothing wrong with the posession football. Although to hear some people they do not seem to be able to register these facts at all.

Anyway, I have all the proof necessary on my DVD recording of the whole match, including the fairly lavish praise from the Setanta pundits at half-time. Although the studio ones at the end could not stop drooling about Arsenal and how they are now 5 points clear etc. They completely forgot to even mention the Rovers.

Totally agree with you. Yes, we had a decent amount of the ball and passed it about, but Arsenal didn't care. We handed them the lead by yet again failing to defend a set piece and giving away the first goal, from that point on they were happy to defend that lead. We only looked like scoring about twice, that might even be generous as I can only really remember one real chance. They are a good side, they know how to control games and they know that once you have the first goal you can let a side play in front of you and that is what they did. We shouldn't try and fool ourselves and turn that into a good performance, no one did anything worthwhile or special. They could easily have scored more than they did and we never looked like scoring.

Now that is a fairer assessment of the game than some of the quite frankly silly and defamatory versions that some of the earlier posters made on here. I take your point that Arsenal are indeed a cut above us in the skill levels, and they can and do as you say sit back and easily soak up pressure from other teams once they have got a lead. But my point is that accepting we are not in their class we did very well to play as we did and to hold them off for so long in between the two goals. Indeed, I would argue that if we had not given them such a soft goal early on, we would have held out to get a 0-0 draw but for losing our so reliable captain Ooijer and having to re-jig the back 4 at the end like that. The Axe did OK but hardly had time to settle into his new role before Adebayor struck. Up to the injury our CB's had kept him under control OK.

Right well I'll own up to providing Zurab with his as yet solitary vote for MoM as long as whoever voted for Benny does likewise. :)

You have no need to apologise for that Yorick. The whole back 4 and Brad were solid all night and any one of them could be a candidate for MoM. I voted for Bert because of his contributuion going forward as well, but then again it could equally apply to Warnock too. Bert shaded it for me because several times when Bents had gone elsewhere he strode forward and took a man on, either pushing and running past on the outside, or cutting inside and in both cases getting in a decent cross. One of these was truly outstanding and was exactly like Bentley or Beckham does; he swung over a long curling cross from the touchline to the far post and it found Santa's head but he was being mobbed by two Arsenal defenders and it just bounced off his head and over the bar. There were a number of other instances too when Bert showed outstanding confidence and skill; one in particular where he was running along the line with the ball and a defender made to challenge him. Wherupon Bert just stepped over the ball with his left foot amd flicked it inside and behind him straight to Tugay who was standing about 10 yards away but infield and behind Bert. The ball went straight as an arrow to Tugs who did not need to even move to it. Now that is skill and it seems I am the only one to have noticed it. If anyone wants the proof...... Stamped addressed envelope to......

To put last night in context - you wouldn't expect Rovers to go to the Bernabau and beat Real Madrid with a depleted team would ya :rock:

I am another that can't believe McCarthy is being offered a bumper deal. If anyone offers £5 million then it'd be a thankyou and bye bye.

I also agree with other posters that as a team we suffer from a lack of pace and a genuine ball carrier (See Hleb last night!). If Hughes persists in withdrawing Bentley from the right wing (clearly his best position) then I'd like to see him play just behind Rocky. If the board can sign two pacy wingers with Reid/Dunn in the middle then I believe we would carry much more threat going forward.

What about Franz Carr?

Highlight of the game for me was after about 28 mins when the Setanta cameras panned in on a frustrated looking Sparky at the precise moment he bellowed

"GET F ' ING IN 'EM!"

at his players.

Conveniently glossed over by the commentators of couse.

:lol:

Yes I heard that as well. In fact he did it twice in the match and was clearly heard on the TV both times. I could not quite believe it first time and wondered if I had imagined it.

So we are getting excited about us keeping possession for 3 minutes.

Get the champagne out!!

Not getting excited about it John; merely pointing out the nonsensical and almost hysterical critiscism from the early posters on this thread. I suggest you go back and read them for yourself before leaping in with half-baked comments.

Sparky was a distant figure from where I was sitting! Would have loved to hear the shouts! He used to shout a lot when he first became manager (Jan and I learned some new words :blush: ) but has been quieter of late.

I voted for Bert too, Fife.

The policemen sitting round me were quite complimentary about Rovers, reckoned they played quite strongly. Nice work if you can get it for some, still at least it took their minds off harassing our fans!

Maybe its just me, but do you reckon Hughes is too afraid to play a 442 system? Perhaps Sparky thinks our central midfield doesn't have enough defensive qualities so he quite often tends to play the 451 or similar formation with one up front?

At the begining of the season we played a 442 system and it did work.

I would probably agree with Sparky if this is the case, i don't feel we have a good enough defensive minded central midfielder to play a solid 442 at this moment in time.

Of course I saw it Fife, don't be absurd.

We'll have to agree to disagree then, I think Le Chuck's comments about getting a few triangles going in our half of the pitch sum it up perfectly.

I would have seen a lot more merit in the performance had we managed to frustrate Arsenal for long periods and actually looked like coming away with a point at any time.

As it was, when we needed to keep it tight we conceded a very soft goal at this level after just three minutes. For the remaining 87 mins it was game over as we never looked like posing a threat to their goal.

I think he is. Played Everton at home with 4-5-1, seems like MH is more concerned about stopping the opposition than letting them worry about what we can do. Which, with what we have at the moment is probably about right, with only DB and RSC any real threat TBH.

As for last nights game, look at the MOTM poll, our keeper, who I voted for is far and away the 1 st choice as our best performer.

Says it all really. Arsenal could have scored 6 or 7 and we could have scored, erm, 1 or 2.

Played OK at times, but no real threat in the danger area.

Still, plenty of crappy teams left to try and beat up before the summer and hope we scrape 6th.

Fife , I'm one who agrees with Rev. To respond to the middle of your post.

1) We fairly quickly got into the rythmn of the game and from there on it was first them, and then us having prolonged bouts of passing and keeping posession.

2) There was the occasional sloppy pass, but not very many, and of course there were some good interceptions by both sides.

3)I am not arguing that Arsenal did not create more threats on our goal, they did, but every time we either defended well or Brad saved our bacon. They also hit the woodwork a couple of times.

4) But the point I want to make is that there were at least 3 spells of us keeping the ball for long periods (one of them I actually timed in my recorded version at almost 3 mins) and the crowd each time getting on Arsenal's backs. Very early in the second half we got the ball and passed our way into their half and stayed there passing it around with them chasing shadows, and the crowd going mental. Unfortunately we were not able to create any real danger to their goal, but there was nothing wrong with the posession football. Although to hear some people they do not seem to be able to register these facts at all.

1) When they have possession they move forward and look threatining. They could knock a series of passes together and move the ball from their half to deep inside our half. When we have it we just passed along the back four, forward to the midfield, out wide, back to the full back, across the back line, back to Friedel etc... It wasn't penetrating or threatening.

2) There were loads of sloppy passes from Rovers. A few of them were just plain awful balls that go nowhere near there target. Then there are the balls that are badly executed which are played behind the man or played to the man with too much power or at a daft height. The there are the balls that we often specialize in. We play a ball in to a man who is marked and has a defender up his arse. Numerous times this led to us being robbed and Arsenal dangerously breaking and threatening.

3) As a defensive unit, the back 4 and Friedel did very well.

4) Possession football is OK but without penetration it will get you nowhere. However where the midfield also let themselves down was when they didn't have the ball. They would close a man down to within 3 feet of him then just stand off him. No tackle, no pressing, just block his path forward. When previously ourselves and Bolton (and Newcastle this year) have got good results against Arsenal in the past its been through hassling, tackling and dare Ii say it 'roughing up a bit'. I'm not saying we should have kicked and fouled but you have to get tighter and put a challenge in otherwise the Fabregases and Flaminis will punish you. Also poor was the tracking of men off the ball. For the last half and hour, Arsenal players were running off and behind the likes of Reid, Berner, Tugay who just were not tracking them at all.

It will be interesting to see what Sparky does in the transfer window in terms of the central midfield. With some of the signings we were linked to, the likes of Faye for example it looks like Sparky was looking for a strong midfielder with defensive qualities. It looks like he decided to perhaps wait until the summer to see whats available then.

I hope we get a defensive mid, that will allow us to play a 4-4-2 system, allowing the likes of Reidy, Dunny or some other attacking midfielder to make forward runs and give the overall team shape some balance.

Poor match reports in the nationals: only the Sun and Henry Winter in the Telegraph offer any semblance of balance. The Times twerp even suggests Arsenal should have won 6-0.

Crikey - have you swapped sides? Or just forgotten who you used to work for?! :o

I would have seen a lot more merit in the performance had we managed to frustrate Arsenal for long periods .

Which is exactly what Rovers managed to do.

I must agree with previous posters : did you actually watch the match ?

Archived