• Kishi
    • Warnock
    • Bentley
    • Tugay
    • Reid
    • McCarthy
    • Berner
    • Santa Cruz

I thought they had no real belief they would get a result...porr passing and constantly losing the 50-50s...a bit more belief they could have got the equaliser..then that c :angry2:t Adebayor would get a second in the last seciond...

I think saying they had no belief is a big kick in the teeth for the players out there. They battled like their lives depended on it at times. The back four were superb and got stuck in at every opportunity. Adebayor and Eduardo weren't even involved in the game. At the end of the game, they were totally shattered.

We need to remember that Arsenal are one of the best sides in the world and have taken teams to pieces at The Emirates this season.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having listened to the game on 5live where stan "dogger" coleymore was commentating I have to say that I am happy with the result.

Odd really, as you would believe that Arsenal had 80% of the game nd taht Rovers missed their 3 chances in the first half.

Positives to be had, not really any massive damage to our goal difference considering. NO bookings and I think Ooijer went off tired rather than injured.

We have 2 weeks break before Bolton. Then its at least 3 players back possibly more.

My birthday looms versus Bolton and I cannot wait.

We are in desperate need for someone who can run down channels with some pace. If you look at our team it is vey slow and our strikers both like the ball in their feet and never seem to make smart runs.

Fairly happy with the result, better than last year thats for sure.

We've been dying for pace since Bellamy left. Sadly, pace is a valuable commodity. I'd argue Santa Cruz makes smart runs, infact I've yet to see him have a poor game. However, he needs a pacy striker to play off him, along with service from the left wing.

2-0 isn't a bad result, considering the injuries and suspensions. I'm just frustrated by the lack of quality in the squad, Hughes is doing his job with his hands tied behind his back. L'Arse really didn't break into a sweat today - we contained them after conceding a stupid early goal. We lacked any cutting edge upfront, and they knew that (though Benni should have scored) and were content to probe our team and play the possession game.

Blood, seat and tears.

Despite the early set back, the lads battled and held a rampant Arsenal.

There was no disgrace in that performance.

Agreed - we had prolonged periods of possession but missed our one really good chance and got none of the half-chances properly on target.

We passed the ball pretty well considering how Arsenal were pressing on us. Adebayor's goal was sheer class but a bit hard on us.

Berner and Tugay both started terribly slowly and that cost us all that early pressure. If Senderos hadn't scored from the free header the Arse would have just wound up the pressure until they got through.

No shame in loosing this one.

Bit of a rant coming here I'm afraid. I'm sure some people will tell us that that was a good performance holding Arsenal to 1-0 for 90 minutes until the late goal but it was shocking display of footballing quality from Rovers.

Just one chance crafted in 90 minutes was bad enough, but what really annoyed was the fact that we couldn't play simple passes. 5 or 10 yard balls that I could play at 5-a-side were being misplaced. The midfielders pass to men who are being marked. So many Arsenal breaks come from giving the ball away in daft positions. Also sometimes we have the ball in a promising situation to break forward and then 10 seconds later we've passed it back to Friedel.

Our general positioning is awful. Several times there were acres of space on the right and you were waiting for Bentley or Emerton to pop up there but they didn't. The odd time they did no-one gave it to them.

Except for a couple of exceptions, the players don't know how to tackle. They stand 3 yards off an Arsenal guy who has the ball and don't go any closer. Fabregas is good enough without putting him under any pressure what so ever. It's like we play zonal marking but all over the pitch. We've gone from being overly physical to soft as dogpoo.

Which brings us on to the individual players.

I thought the two centre halves did OK and were mainly responsible for keeping the score down along with the excellent Brad Friedel.

Emerton was awful. His crosses are hit and hope straight into the box with no thought. His long balls are exactly the same.

Reid and Tugay were both poor as well. Their two main problems were the shocking passing and the lack of any bite in the middle. Also as a midfielder you have to track your man. I know Arsenals movement is good but too often they didnt even bother to follow whover it was who laid the ball off then ran past them.

I can accept Benni shouldn't be marking a big centre half for their goal. However don't be confused by Benni playing deeper and being on camera a lot. His use of the ball was poor and the slowness with which he will close the nearest man down is laughable. He still got on the end of the one chance that we had and made a hash of that. Oh, and he runs offside a lot for no reason whatsoever.

Which brings us to the creme de la creme. Bruno Berner. I know he's out of position but even so dear lord. He made MGP look like the Norwegian Beckham. All he was on the pitch to do was mark space and play simple balls and he couldn't even do that. "Who's the fastest" asked the advertisement hordings down the side of the pitch. I don't know but I'll have a bet who the slowest is.

It's OK saying that we are playing the best team in the country but that shouldn't stop you doing the simple things like easy passes and closing down.

We just look tired now and only really conceded because we're trying to get that goal.

Don't get me wrong fair play to the boys for containing that Arsenal team as well as we did for the majority of the game, but we could have played all night and not scored. I don't think we had one chance in that second half.

And why has barely anyone mentioned Arsenal's first goal? Benni McCarthy needs to be shot for his 'marking' of Senderos. I'm not saying we'd have got anything out of the game anyway, but that was a truly awful attempt that cost us dearly.

Oh and 100% agree with Hasta re Bruno Berner. I thought he broke down every good attack that we looked like having. Warnock also didn't pass to him once which must say everything about what he thinks of the guy. If it's possible I think Berner made Gamst look like a young Giggs on the left hand side. I truly hope that's his last performance for us unless we give him a shot at LB and push Warnock up to left mid.

MOTM?

I have NEVER voted on the man of the match without actually seeing the game (I have just seen the goals) however, I was listening on the radio and all I can tell is that it should have gone to Brad - and thats for both teams.

Lets face it. With a full strength team it was going to be hard tonight and so with so many out I dont feel to down beat about it.

I agree with Hasta, I wasn't too happy with Rovers' performance tonight, yes we were playing Arsenal but we didn't pressure them and we gave the ball away on simple passes.

We know from past experience that to get anything from Arsenal you need to put a few tackles in and rattle them, we gave them far too much respect tonight.

I didn't really expect a win, but I would expect a bit of effort: with a few expections (Reidy, Emo, Warnock, RSC put everything in)

Bruno Berner is stealing a living - I just don't know why he is a pro footballer.

Overall I’m not too disappointed with the result to be honest. With all the injuries and suspensions we had I knew it would be difficult to get anything from this game.

In terms of performance I thought it was a mixed bag really. Friedal was the only real stand out performance for me. I thought he was superb on the night and kept us in the game with some vital saves.

I was really disappointed with the defending for their first goal as it was quite frankly non existent. Arsenal are one of the hardest sides to get a goal back against due to their counter attacking prowess, so it made our job harder. I also felt we lacked some spark up front, though that was probably to be expected just playing the one up front and the lack of forward runs from midfield for support. We had a few chances but we just couldn’t capitalise on the night.

That’s pretty much my analysis going off what I heard on the radio, I may change my mind on a few things once I watch some highlights.

For those of you listening to Five Live, did you hear that second commentator who came on halfway on both halves? Ian Brown or something I think his name was. Some of his comments were ridiculous against us, he was moaning about our discipline and giving us a real slating at times. Its not the first time he’s done it commentating on one of our matches if it’s the same guy I think it is… what a prat! :angry:

Oh and Wenger can't moan this time about his over the top violence spiel that he usually comes up with. IIRC there was only 1 yellow card during the game and that went to Fabreghastly.

I'd have taken 0-2 at the start with us fielding a really weakened side, but I'm still downcast, nothing more than a practice match for the arse , I could have played in goal for them after the 4pints of stella I've just had. Our midfield never got beyond the front two all night and we never got round the back of them once, our one decent cross nearly led to a goal. It summed it up for me just before half time , 30 secs on the clock a free kick 40yds out, a chance to pack their box and launch one in, what do we do ? Tip tap around taking a short one and the ball goes out for a throw !!

Scores

Freidel 6, Some good saves but equally responsible for the goal with Mc Carthy, nobody should have a free header on the six yard line ! I expect my goalie to clatter any opponents there, you'll have all the protection you need from the ref.

Emerton 7 Strove manfully all night to keep Hleb quiet, any Pedersen lovers out there wondering what the role of a winger is in the modern game ? Watch Hleb !

Ooijer 7* Can't have been fully fit but held his hand up when he was needed and pulled on the shirt, did his best.

Zurab 7 Same as Ooijer, kept Adebayor quiet for 89 mins.

Warnock 7 Did his best on attack and defence , not helped by having Berner in front of him.

Bentley 4 Poor first half , second half completely vanished off the face of the earth ( or did we sub him at half time ?) England international ? let's hope the Real Madrid scouts were there, we've nothing to fear.

Reid 6 Stop start season carries on, he's struggling to put a run of form together, he tries hard but he's ring rusty.

Tugay 6 The usual mixture of slick passes, unfortunately both teams received them in equal measure.

Berner 4 Looked like a reserve left back playing in midfield for the first time this season.

McCarthy 4 Non entity, managed to head our best chance clear for them. Every time he gets the ball for whatever reason, the move breaks down.

Santa Cruz 7 Ran his socks off, had to feed on scraps as usual.

Subs Roberts 5 Not at the races.

Mokoena 5 Ditto.

Ritgers 4 Can't remember him touching the ball, maybe he came on to run down the clock ?

well I watced the game and after the first 10 min I thought we were going to bet hammered. But fair play to the lads there struck at it.

for me the axe would of played and our number 10 would of played out wide instead of brener, who was bad no not bad very very bad. Roll on bolton

Don't get me wrong fair play to the boys for containing that Arsenal team as well as we did for the majority of the game, but we could have played all night and not scored. I don't think we had one chance in that second half.

And why has barely anyone mentioned Arsenal's first goal? Benni McCarthy needs to be shot for his 'marking' of Senderos. I'm not saying we'd have got anything out of the game anyway, but that was a truly awful attempt that cost us dearly.

Oh and 100% agree with Hasta re Bruno Berner. I thought he broke down every good attack that we looked like having. Warnock also didn't pass to him once which must say everything about what he thinks of the guy. If it's possible I think Berner made Gamst look like a young Giggs on the left hand side. I truly hope that's his last performance for us unless we give him a shot at LB and push Warnock up to left mid.

I agree. We wouldn't have scored unless it was from a fluke or a set piece and like you said, we could have played all night and not scored but compare out performance to a lot of teams who go to The Emirates and we did well. When we conceded early, other teams would have conceded more straight after yet we fought hard and put in a decent defensive performance. At the end of the day though, we didn't deserve to win because we didn't create many chances.

Last 30mins of the first half we were in complete control and should have taken advantage.

For me you can't take your best crosser(only crosser) out of the game by putting him at AM/DM. Bentley has to play RM.

Berner was yet again awful, the guy can't control, pass or cross.

Tugay was below par.

McCarthy was not decisive enough but did ok. For me a definite foul on him before the cross came in, it gave Senderos a 3 or 4 yard run on him.

The second goal we were unlucky with as we pushed forward. The ultimate problem is we just don't create enough. I would much rather we had player Peter or Treacy at LW and got beaten 3-0 giving it a go!

Freidel 6, Some good saves but equally responsible for the goal with Mc Carthy, nobody should have a free header on the six yard line ! I expect my goalie to clatter any opponents there, you'll have all the protection you need from the ref.

How was he responsible for the first goal??? There are 10 Rovers players in the box who were meant to be marking their man. Sendros had a powerful free header 6 yards out. Friedel had no chance. Cech would have had no chance. Casillas would have had no chance. It was bad marking...nothing to do with Friedel. His positioning was good and we've just got to give credit to their player for taking advantage of our mistake.

Friedel was easily our best player. He prevented us from conceding another 4 or so goals. Without him, we would have just been another walk over team the Gunners have faced at The Emirates.

Poor game really, but it is sad when we say that a 2-0 defeat is a good result.

After the first 8-10 minutes i thought it was going to be a real drubbing. However, the lads battled against a very good arsenal team. Many of our players today are back from injury, not played much football or on the wrong side of 30.

Ooijer, Reid, Berner, Zurab all fall into that category and the team we finished with was far from our strongest and our full first team.

The break to America is a god send. Get them refreshed and ready to go again against Bolton.

I personally thought certain players did okay who are getting a little slated - Berner obviously had orders and stuck to them and to last 90 mins at his age and with a total lack of football was pretty good. I thought Andre had a good game, Warnock too and obvioulsy brad.

I cannot wait until we can feild our strongest team again.

One thing did stand out like a sore thumb - lack of pace and skill in midfield.

Benni had a poor game, albeit he was playing out of position but he was OFFSIDE again at the time, lost his player for the corner and contributed nothing.

At the end of the day, i expected nothing and we got nothing. We have to move on, as WHU and Spurs are very capable of finishing above us now and that 11th spot is looking like it has our name on it.

How was he responsible for the first goal??? There are 10 Rovers players in the box who were meant to be marking their man. Sendros had a powerful free header 6 yards out. Friedel had no chance. Cech would have had no chance. Casillas would have had no chance. It was bad marking...nothing to do with Friedel. His positioning was good and we've just got to give credit to their player for taking advantage of our mistake.

Friedel was easily our best player. He prevented us from conceding another 4 or so goals. Without him, we would have just been another walk over team the Gunners have faced at The Emirates.

Like I said I expect my keeper to be out there on the edge of the six yard box, If you look closely Friedel was a lot nearer to the six yard line than Senderos was when the ball was crossed, Brad actually moves away from the ball and back towards the goal line ?

Have you ever tried to mark a good header of the ball when they've got a free run? You've got to watch them and the ball, they only have to watch the ball. Anything in or on the six yard box should be your goalies ball.

As someone else said " after the first 10 minutes I thought we were in for a drubbing ". However, Blackburn did stick at it and hauled themselves back into the game. Thet were in it until the very end. I was proud of them and I am grateful that we have a team that on its day can give anyone a game. We never had quite enough to really worry Arsenal and think we missed Pederson and Dunn. Thought Emmerton did well and Benni worked hard. I think Blackburn are very close to being really good. Surprised at some of the unduely negative comments.

Like I said I expect my keeper to be out there on the edge of the six yard box, If you look closely Friedel was a lot nearer to the six yard line than Senderos was when the ball was crossed, Brad actually moves away from the ball and back towards the goal line ?

Have you ever tried to mark a good header of the ball when they've got a free run? You've got to watch them and the ball, they only have to watch the ball. Anything in or on the six yard box should be your goalies ball.

Totally agree. Brad was glued ot the line for what was a floated corner to the edge of the 6 yard box. 5 mins later when we had a corner, Lehman started off 4 yards out and easily snaffled a very similar delivery. But today was typical Brad. Brilliant reaction shot-stopping, rebounds that went into dangerous areas - fortunately to our feet today - and statuesque at set-pieces.

As to the rest of the team, the defence did well I thought, at least as good if not better than Nelsen/Samba.

The rest of 'em were the problem. Out of 6 players, we only had Dunn and Pedersen missing, so I don't buy this 'decimated' excuse. To be playing no-hopers like Berner and then Ritgers makes a mockery of the claims that we have the best squad ever. Two players out and we're fielding Sunday leaguers. Well done the Trust and Williams for 'keeping our powder dry.'

We'll need it and more to replace the fully depreciated asset called Tugay before we think of actually improving the team. And Benni has to go - I'm sick of his ineffectiveness-combined-with hystrionics-stuff.

Hleb is an annoying little pr1ck.. Every time Emerton cut in front of him in the 2nd half, he got grumpy and kicked him. Fantastic winger though..

I think Reid did well today, as did Tugay. With Berner not threatening Sagna, we had very little width, but still kept the ball well in the centre. I would like to see us put more pressure on Arsenal when they have the possession, but I guess they got tired in the end.. Benni did okay, even though I am sure some will blame him for the loss alone. Terrible marking obviously, but his overall game sure wasn't any worse than the majority. Santa worked hard, but got no real service today.

Berner simply isn't good enough for a start, he provides nothing but half-decent defensive qualities. I wish I could say "bring back Pedersen and Dunn", but unfortunately, they're not much better at the moment. Well, at least they have the potential to be. :(

Totally agree. Brad was glued ot the line for what was a floated corner to the edge of the 6 yard box. 5 mins later when we had a corner, Lehman started off 4 yards out and easily snaffled a very similar delivery. But today was typical Brad. Brilliant reaction shot-stopping, rebounds that went into dangerous areas - fortunately to our feet today - and statuesque at set-pieces.

As to the rest of the team, the defence did well I thought, at least as good if not better than Nelsen/Samba.

The rest of 'em were the problem. Out of 6 players, we only had Dunn and Pedersen missing, so I don't buy this 'decimated' excuse. To be playing no-hopers like Berner and then Ritgers makes a mockery of the claims that we have the best squad ever. Two players out and we're fielding Sunday leaguers. Well done the Trust and Williams for 'keeping our powder dry.'

We'll need it and more to replace the fully depreciated asset called Tugay before we think of actually improving the team. And Benni has to go - I'm sick of his ineffectiveness-combined-with hystrionics-stuff.

Totally agree, Hughes and Rovers have alot of hard work to do in the summer regarding recruitment its going to have to be better than what happened last summer.

good efford from the players..

i aint disappointed at all in that performance..

emerton, zurab, ooijer and warnock all played well in my opinion..

i also thought reid looked strong and did some good passing...bentley was good bar some poor corners..

bruno berner doesnt look good enough-all tho i couldnt fault the work he did on the left wing..

a good 2 weeks break needed..still in a strong position..

Archived