• Pedersen
    • santa Cruz
    • McCarthy
    • Roberts
    • Derbyshire

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont need to justify my comment, however it's not just this result, it's the whole set up of the premiership. As much as Rovers market the game as being for the fans, they and the premiership need to stop burying their heads in the sand.

The game at premiership level is no longer a sport but an open purse to feed the greed of those that run the league, the agents and the players. How can clubs justify new contracts to players when they have under performed all season.

I am in a fortunate position that I could pay more for a season ticket, than that currently being charged by the Rovers, but I'm dam well sure that even at the reduced rate I want value for my hard earned cash. If it was something that I'd bought at a store I would have demanded my money back, due to poor workmanship.

Heck I could go on, but I 'll keep that for my final contribution to this board.

Alan is right and the shame is Rovers are on a hiding to nothing. I applaud the club's efforts and think they are sincere in the belief football is for fans. We have renewed for next year but the driving force behind that is because my son would be very disappointed if we didn't go. He may well be away at college next season and I can see us picking games. I really do not want to watch the sort of dross we saw yesterday.

We are constantly given the line that footie is entertainment. Well it should be entertaining but it should first be competitive and the PL is no longer a competition. This what the PL clubs have taken away from us - the competition. If Rovers don't have a decent cup run we miss out on any form of competitive, exciting football. The PL killed it but doesn't understand the problem.

Nope, no complaint from me. I thought Bentley was very poor today, although your use of the words "yet another" is just more blinkered bolux against a player who has been largely excellent this season.

Making Pedersen man of the match must be a joke. Fair enough, he was back to his form of last season i.e. doing nothing yet scoring (which is a lot better than his form for most of this season i.e. doing nothing full stop) but he has to do more than that surely? Warnock just shaded Ooijer as our best player I thought.

Today was the first time this season that I remember leaving Ewood genuinely angry. Fulham are a poor team, they were there for the taking, yet in the first half it seemed we just couldn't be bothered to compete and put in the necessary effort required to get a grip on the game. We stepped things up in the second half, more so when Roberts and Derbyshire came on, got the goal, and then sank back into the same lethargy that we'd displayed throughout the first half. We got what we deserved at the end thanks to a criminal lack of urgency and a truly shocking level of arrogance and complacency.

I agree with Rev that McCarthy and Tugay were awful. Although I notice he didn't mention Reid who was just as bad. Selling McCarthy though would be an over reaction, I think we'd struggle to get in someone better for the money we'd raise by selling him. Unfortunately it has looked like a season too far for Tugay this time and every game he plays just reinforces it. Unless he's given a coaching role then a new contract offer would seem pointless. As for Reid, I'm not sure what his strengths are. He's not a great passer, he doesn't score goals (apart from the odd, very odd, screamer), he's not that great defensively, and he lacks creativity. He's just got a good engine, but we need more than that. We missed Dunn today.

I think the amount of criticism the team takes on here after a bad result is usually ridiculous - a hysterical reaction by fans who are spoilt by the relative success the team is now enjoying. However, today the team (and management) deserve all the criticism in the world imo. Their collective attitude was awful. It was as if they just had to turn up to win. Another day like that this season and we can kiss European football goodbye - if we haven't already.

Good account Scotty, I too miss your post game accounts.

You could see the goal coming way before the freekick (that in my book wasn't)

Anyway my point - don't know if I'm alone on this but I put it adown again to bad managerial decisions for yet another poor home performance and I personally think we deserved what we got in the end as we where no better than Fulham.

Bentley being moved into the middle - of no use as he drifts far too much and too greedy (the shot into the side netting obvious proof) and its this what stops him from becoming what I would call a very good player. Not having him wide and a driver in the centre be it Dunny or Reid ( not there at moment though) we loose all assertiveness, drive and shape.

As with Waggy, the idea to still have everybody back for defending corners and freekicks etc and there being no outlet when we clear the ball just puts us under so much pressure I just can't figure why they can't see it.

Our lack of cohesion at corners, freekicks and even when crosses go into the box - nearly all the time yesterday everybody was either near each other or in a line and subsequently not in a position ot pick up on any flicks or rebounds making it easy for Fulham to clear the ball. As we saw against Bolton having your wide players coming in from the different sides at the back post can reap dividends, so why not keep adopting it....? :angry2:

As for Riley - he really needs to be put out to grass in my book as he just showed how incompetent he actually is.

And for match of the day idiots - no mention of Pedersen's shirt being pulled before the goal which resulted in the close line ejection of Stalteri. In addition, I think it showed what the situation is with the sounding on MOTD as all you could hear was the a Fulham fans even though there weren't many ( why?) but fair do's kept on singing and the atmosphere was close to non existent which was no wonder given what was served up on the pitch.

MOM - for me was Warnock

I would take Bullard without any hesitance.

Well Hughes went to print about the home form being they key to push us for Europe - which to many of us was strange given the abject performances we have witnessed and if anything it has been the away perfomances that have kept us in there, and have been a bit fortunate in getting result in the home games.

Think we all so yesterday what happens when the luck starts to run dry.

Poor very poor

Alan is right and the shame is Rovers are on a hiding to nothing. I applaud the club's efforts and think they are sincere in the belief football is for fans. We have renewed for next year but the driving force behind that is because my son would be very disappointed if we didn't go. He may well be away at college next season and I can see us picking games. I really do not want to watch the sort of dross we saw yesterday.

We are constantly given the line that footie is entertainment. Well it should be entertaining but it should first be competitive and the PL is no longer a competition. This what the PL clubs have taken away from us - the competition. If Rovers don't have a decent cup run we miss out on any form of competitive, exciting football. The PL killed it but doesn't understand the problem.

I think they understand well enough Paul. I believe they are only interested in the money generator that (to them) is the EPL. Consequently they are only interested in providing "entertainment" to the elite clubs i.e. the one's with the most support and thus cash generating power. All the other clubs that don't meet that criteria are simply there for the slaughter; completely expendable, relegation fodder in their view. Feel free to explain to me where I am wrong.

I don't get to Ewood that often, but sitting there yesterday I couldn't get over how quiet our fans are. The postage stamp of Fulham fans in the Darwen end made more racket.

:unsure:

(Flameproof jacket on)

No drummers equated to no atmosphere yesterday imo.

:blink:

I think Alan's view of the world is a common one, but the club is doing a great job in tough circumstances.

Do us a favour Paul, "tough circumstances?" hell, the club don't have to lift a finger before a cheque for a minimum guaranteed 30m from Sky thuds onto the desk.

I can imagine dear old Bill Fox's reaction if you tried telling him we have "tough circumstances" now back in the days when he had to send off utility cheques unsigned to gain a few more days grace.

Do us a favour Paul, "tough circumstances?" hell, the club don't have to lift a finger before a cheque for a minimum guaranteed 30m from Sky thuds onto the desk.

I can imagine dear old Bill Fox's reaction if you tried telling him we have "tough circumstances" now back in the days when he had to send off utility cheques unsigned to gain a few more days grace.

The comparison is stupid, and I think you know that.

The comparison is stupid, and I think you know that.

I don't, and you obviously can't think of a valid argument in response.

The relative wealth of the Premiership as opposed to other Leagues puts us (or should put us) in a stronger position than we've ever been in.

I don't, and you obviously can't think of a valid argument in response.

The relative wealth of the Premiership as opposed to other Leagues puts us (or should put us) in a stronger position than we've ever been in.

The "tough circumstances" I refer to, and that everyone on the MB understands, apart from yourself and R6, is the fact that we are a small town club in a big city league. All around us clubs are spending tens of millions and we, well we're not are we.

That's difficult to understand, ain't it? I mean, even Theno gets it.

You seem to think that money automatically makes everything easier, regardless of whether it's making ludicrous arguments in the 39th game thread or here. In Bill Fox's day we weren't competing against some of the richest clubs in the world either were we?

For the majority of Rovers existence what was competive? The odd battle for promotion, the odd relegation fight? Wouldn't you rather have the odd battle for Europe and the odd relegation battle?

As for the Premiership being a closed shop of winners, here's an interesting one. 15 years of Premiership = 4 different winners (including in case anyone forgets Rovers). The previous 24 years of the 'old' Division One saw an astonishing 7 different winners. Ok, there might have been a more varied top four but it was hardly the anyone could win it that the rose tinted anti-PL spectators seem to think. Oh, and Rovers weren't a part of those days either.

I know which era is better for the club - and the vast, vast majority of supporters.

Maybe the real problems are overblown expectations of fans who don't remember the realities of much of Rovers existence tied a degree of jealousy that the true big clubs are something we can never be and we don't like it?

In my view unlike the SPL the English PL is still competitive in as far as any team within reason (maybe Derby and Fulham excepted) can beat any other team on any particular day. The difference is most clubs can't compete at the same level of consistency as the big three over the course of a thirty eight game season.

Twas always thus. I think the notion that thirty odd years ago a team at the bottom of the old first division going to Anfield or Elland Road had much of a prayer is complete guff.

For the majority of Rovers existence what was competive? The odd battle for promotion, the odd relegation fight? Wouldn't you rather have the odd battle for Europe and the odd relegation battle?

As for the Premiership being a closed shop of winners, here's an interesting one. 15 years of Premiership = 4 different winners (including in case anyone forgets Rovers). The previous 24 years of the 'old' Division One saw an astonishing 7 different winners. Ok, there might have been a more varied top four but it was hardly the anyone could win it that the rose tinted anti-PL spectators seem to think. Oh, and Rovers weren't a part of those days either.

I know which era is better for the club - and the vast, vast majority of supporters.

Maybe the real problems are overblown expectations of fans who don't remember the realities of much of Rovers existence tied a degree of jealousy that the true big clubs are something we can never be and we don't like it?

Very sensible post imo.

The only distinction I would make is that we are now a big club in the general scheme of things, the fact we are not big in comparison to three or four clubs who also happen to have some of the largest turnovers in the world shouldn't be an excuse to trawl out the "small club punching above our weight" line at every opportunity.

The season is pretty much over in terms of Europe i feel. All we have left to play for is to try and finish as high as we can for the money.

I'd be more optimistic if we were playing well, but quite frankly we have looked mediocre for a few months now.

I know i will get slated for saying this but our defense is looking shaky, our midfield lacking balance, we aren't giving our front men enough service.

It looks like its going to be a disapointing season. Early exits in the Uefa and Fa Cup and we look set to miss out on Europe :mellow:

That's nice of you. I guess a combination of laziness on my part and the fact that most people get to see the game these days - with the advent of streaming sites and Football First most fans get to see at least 55 minutes of every match. A while ago I used to think I was kind of providing a service for fans who couldn't get to the game, now I'd just be giving my opinion and I just can't be bothered doing that after most games these days. Maybe I'll start doing them again one day.

I found them excellent-written with a great deal of style and often reflecting my opinion.You have been missed.

I dont need to justify my comment, however it's not just this result, it's the whole set up of the premiership. As much as Rovers market the game as being for the fans, they and the premiership need to stop burying their heads in the sand.

The game at premiership level is no longer a sport but an open purse to feed the greed of those that run the league, the agents and the players. How can clubs justify new contracts to players when they have under performed all season.

I am in a fortunate position that I could pay more for a season ticket, than that currently being charged by the Rovers, but I'm dam well sure that even at the reduced rate I want value for my hard earned cash. If it was something that I'd bought at a store I would have demanded my money back, due to poor workmanship.

Heck I could go on, but I 'll keep that for my final contribution to this board.

I was wondering how to describe the match yeaterday, and the quote-" premiership quality in name only" seemed to be the best; there was no quality, and it did its best to clarify, like this year's FA cup, the limited quality outside the top 4 in " the best league in the world"

(Flameproof jacket on)

No drummers equated to no atmosphere yesterday imo.

:blink:

I'd agree with that and know two other people who said the same thing straight after the game.

I sat up in the BBE with my son for a change of scene. The odd chant floated past, but the most noise was the two lads sitting behind who were eager to discuss the events of recent times (most of which did not pertain to football) in very loud voices and with the only verb in their vocabulary beginning in f and ending with g :angry:

Was thinking of sending them the gift of a dictionary but they probably couldn't read it...........

Nice view though.

We may be quiet in the JWL but at least any conversation is about the match which we do actually watch, and although Mr Hughes' language can be colourful at times I suppose it is frequently justified.

The season is pretty much over in terms of Europe i feel. All we have left to play for is to try and finish as high as we can for the money.

I am of the same opinion, especially with the events of the FA cup taking a place away from the league.

Still i wouldn't moan about 7th.

We shouldn't have let them back into the game on Saturday. We worked hard for the goal and then just sat back and let them get back into the game afterwards.

The "tough circumstances" I refer to, and that everyone on the MB understands, apart from yourself and R6, is the fact that we are a small town club in a big city league. All around us clubs are spending tens of millions and we, well we're not are we.

That's difficult to understand, ain't it? I mean, even Theno gets it.

Why drag me into it?

BUT

I've banged on about our disadvantaged situation since we beat Leicester at Wembley. The only long term solution really is to replace 3 or 4 clubs with 1. I suggest by your comments above that you are moving to that opinion too..... although of course you will never admit to agreeing with me. :rover:

Why drag me into it?

BUT

I've banged on about our disadvantaged situation since we beat Leicester at Wembley. The only long term solution really is to replace 3 or 4 clubs with 1. I suggest by your comments above that you are moving to that opinion too..... although of course you will never admit to agreeing with me. :rover:

Theno, read that second sentence again and then think about a Championship, a League Cup and countless European adventures in the last 15 years. And then say to yourself, "I've got it wrong, very wrong."

I managed to get RB and R6 in the same post, so adding yourself was a treat I couldn't ignore.

Noticed RB hasn't replied.

I think the point about expectations is the main one. Since we won the PL it is often raised as a reason for people being dissatisfied with our lot, for younger fans who have watched since the early 90s this may be true. I don't expect Rovers to win the PL, to even be in contention for half a season would be an outstanding achievement. This is not my expectation. Looking back we are clearly in a far higher position now than for many, many years in our past. I don't have time to check my facts but I suspect the last 25 years represent the most consistently successful period in Rovers history, certainly modern history. I'm thinking of the club being in a pretty much consistent position of challenging in their division, play offs, cup finals, etc.

BUT.............

Where expectations have been raised in the fans conscious or subconscious thought is in the PL. We are constantly told how wonderful the PL is, the best league in the world. This may be true, I don't follow any other league, but if the cream of world football is in the UK why is it we generally have to await a game with the big four to see quality football and exciting games? This is my expectation, to watch good football and for it to be exciting. I think this is what Alan alludes to when he says:

I am in a fortunate position that I could pay more for a season ticket, than that currently being charged by the Rovers, but I'm dam well sure that even at the reduced rate I want value for my hard earned cash. If it was something that I'd bought at a store I would have demanded my money back, due to poor workmanship./quote]

I fully understand these comments about football being expensive and fans demanding value for money.

The truth is though, that can't be guaranteed ever, by any club. It's a sport. Surely it's part of the real journey of a football fan? Not one club can promise entertaining, attacking football week in, week out. You endure the bad days and that makes the good days even better. Sometimes the bad days run into bad years, but hey, sometimes the good days can last a while too.

My experience of rovers fans, is that it doesn't take too many bad days for them to walk away. Shame, the club deserves better.

Archived