BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Birmingham Last Game

SAS

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know everyone's angry but I have to just say - be grateful for small mercies.

Look at West Ham, Man City, Boro, Newcastle and so on - clubs who have spent millions but are lead by poor managers. Rovers have finished a highly respectable 7th - and whilst we missed Europe, it must be considered a decent season.

Mark Hughes needs to inject some pace combined with technical ability into the side (particularly wings), sign a decent central midfielder and we can look forward to a strong season next year. [Also, his persistent picking of underperforming favourites like Gamst could be rectified].

Come on guys - it was only the Inter Two Bob...

Fickle? How? Because we are upset that we gave up and lost 4-1 to a team that has just been relegated? When a win would have had us in Europe? I'm not sure you're totally up to speed with what "fickle" means Den.

People are quick to forget that we've actually done quite well lately.

Yes, this was a horrible performance against a relegated Brum team, and I do admit that it was a crap end to our season, but the season as a whole has been good, better than last year's. No one called for Hughes' head then.

We had the chance of Europe and we blew it, fans have the right to be angry. If Birmingham had outplayed us and deserved all four goals then fair enough, but these goals were our own fault.

There's no area of my life where I feel better about something not being good because it is worse for others, that is no way to live.

I'm not prepared to do that with my football club.

Some people really need some perspective.

I don't think any perspective is needed. Villa dropped points which was needed and we rolled over and died at Brum. If they had actually put in a performance against the 2nd worst team in the league, we would be in Europe again. Instead we just didn't turn up until the 2nd half and then only for 20 minutes.

Fickle? How? Because we are upset that we gave up and lost 4-1 to a team that has just been relegated? When a win would have had us in Europe? I'm not sure you're totally up to speed with what "fickle" means Den.

Fickle's what I said, fickle's what I meant.

im not forgetting what we've done lately.....BUT...if we had won we would be in Europe and NO-ONE showed any desire. Hughes has to take the blame for failing to motivate the players.

This type of performance is exactly why i am not renewing my season ticket.

People are going to think I'm overacting...but 7th place is extremely fortunate for us. The truth, based on tactics, quality of football, and especially the effort we (don't) put in...we should have been in the dogfight too.

shut up, we were rubbish, and have a right to say what we think, we could have got in europe but seemingly couldent be arsed!

I have no issues with complaining about the performance today, we were rubbish.

But to say things like "we've failed yet again", to say we're a rubbish side, that we've been consistently disappointing or to say Hughes is a rubbish manager is what really grates.

We've improved on our position by three places, have got more points and would be in Europe if circumstances didn't conspire against us in a big way. All this whilst spending less than our competitors.

I lways thought it was supposed to be the Germans that didn't get humour, go figure!

Anyhow, I can't blame Hughes, he is good a manager as we have had for a long time. I trust him to sort this out for the coming season. I expect a few decent players to come in and a boot up the arse of some of the others.

As I said, this could have been a much worse season, and 7th place (ahead of Portsmaouth who have far more resources than us) is fantastic and I would have jumped at it if it was offered at Christmas.

Today has left a bitter taste in the mouth but it has still been a succesful season in terms of points gained compared to money spent. The season was worth it to watch Santa Cruz who was this seasons absolute bargain buy! Had the 'big four' fared better in the cups, we would be in Europe now...

I would say it isn't as good as Villa's or Everton's. Which of our players would get into Villa's current starting XI? I would say Santa, Bentley, Friedel and maybe Warnock (Bouma is a good player though). Which of ours would get into Everton's? Friedel, Warnock, Santa and Bentley again. We're lacking in quality in centre midfield in particular.

Get some perspective, we've spent less than the teams around us and have improved our points, improved our position by three places and would be in Europe if we weren't so unlucky with the results in the cups.

Emerton or Ooijer would get in the Villa team though. They have no right back.

heres to next season and the champions league qualification or winning the fa cup :P. I know i am being mighty hopeful here but if we just look through the spine of the team, we do have a great team that can be built around. With some luck in buying players we will be right up there next season! come on rovers!

We're the might ROVERS!

more points than last season and 7th. but to lose 1-4 to big club simply s#@ks....

shows how inconsistent this club can be.

now bentley can get the team some useful cash cos ther's not going to be europe next season...

Villa dropped points which was needed and we rolled over and died at Brum.

Says it all, we just didn't want it badly enough. Birmingham visibly wilted when news of the Reading scores came in and were there for the taking. But we lacked the passion (and quality if truth be known) to take advantage.

Eddie, we are doing well for a club of our size.

Sorry. But i for one am getting sick of hearing this.

We have an excellent setup. Sure we don't have a huge amount of money, but what we do have.. we use it well with great coaching staff.

Sparky and co would be absolutley disgusted at today's performance.

The players did not turn up today,

Yet another great opportunity lost.

Fickle's what I said, fickle's what I meant.

Of course, on the whole, we're performing very well as a club.

But this topic isn't about that, is it? It's about 90 minutes against a team much poorer than ourselves, so much so that they're going in to the Championship next year. That's what everyone is discussing, that's why there's so much anger.

If you want to talk about the 'grand scheme of things' and such like, then there's probably a thread for that. We've just performed disgustingly against a poor team and it has cost us severely, and this topic is about that.

What's so hard to understand about the "fickle" comment? It's not refering to those disappointed with today's game. It's aimed at the "We're useless, we deserve to be relegated, Hughes is useless, we need to sell our whole squad" comments.

Archived