BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Realistic Summer Moves

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So who's the left back ?

Marcel Schafer...Wolfsburg and now capped once by Germany.

I believe they have watched him three or four times lately. And he is up for sale.

Interesting tale in the People about a possible change on the coaching staff. Not heard it myself, but an interesting line.

Interesting tale in the People about a possible change on the coaching staff. Not heard it myself, but an interesting line.

"some senior players are unhappy with the level of coaching and behind the scenes moves are being made to improve that fast before a crunch run of fixtures"

Captain Pugwash will stay, Knox can go maybe even both of them if I had my way? Ferguson shoulders a lot of the blame I believe it was him who recomened Knox.

I like this idea it was suggestted a few days ago, and it appeals. However who's going to choose him? Given Ince felt that Knox ticked the boxes last time I have no faith in his decision, However we can give him a hand.

Some pro-licence coaches

Inglethorpe wouldn't be a bad shout.

Many have said that the coaching staff under Hughes, was as good as it gets.

Why look for someone from outside.

The one I would look to is a current squad member, I'm sure he would have the players respect, and a big hit with most of the rovers fans.

Must have learnt a lot of the years, Both In the Prem, and on international duty.

Him, and Ince can do there Pro licence together.

Step foward Tugay Kerimoglu.

Marcel Schafer...Wolfsburg and now capped once by Germany.

I believe they have watched him three or four times lately. And he is up for sale.

Do we know why they would want to sell an international left back? The price would be interesting as well.

I think Newcastle have been linked with him as well- but they're linked with every left back in the world at the moment!

Him, and Ince can do there Pro licence togeather.

Step foward Tugay Kerimoglu.

I thought Tugay was already coaching at the club in some capacity?? In fact I thought it was in his contract, sure I read he was going to work at the academy when he signed his new deal? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Tugay would be a good shout, unfortunately we need him on the pitch more.

I'm still surprised we didn't get an Italian coach in the summer, I thought Ince would have used that link more. If we need a defensive coach and since Winterburn loves the camera's more than us, perhaps Ince can get one from Inter/Italy? Perhaps even a player or two??? Shocked he hasn't made better use of his "father".

TBH I'd like to see Knox, Winterburn gone two full timers brought in.

Do we know why they would want to sell an international left back? The price would be interesting as well.

I think Newcastle have been linked with him as well- but they're linked with every left back in the world at the moment!

Rovers must have been tipped off that he wants out and is available for sale - otherwise it's a long way to go just to watch a match.

He is 24 and came on as a sub against England, so he's not a superstar...but obviously a good player nonetheless.

I hear the cost is in the £4 million region. But what would an England international left back cost? Twice as much?

Hang on, does this mean that Ince sees Stevie W as a permanent central midfielder? With Olsson, this guy as well thats 3 left backs. No German international is coming here to play second fiddle, surely?

I'm not too sure what I think about that.

EDIT:Does that mean Stevie W's off??? can you shed any light Nicko?

.I hear the cost is in the £4 million region. But what would an England international left back cost? Twice as much?

Grella cost £4 million! Nothing surprises me anymore to do with BRFC.

I think today will decide whether it will be Ince or somone else in the mix for new players come January.

If we had a better left back than Warnock currently, then him playing centre-midfield would be fine - he's one of our best there. The problem is Ince has been playing him at CM when we've got no-one anywhere close to as good as him at LB.

I'd be more than happy for us to get another decent left back as long as it means Warnock will be playing CM for us, not LB for Newcastle.

Grella cost £4 million!

Ince said it was 4 million euros, if I recollect rightly.

Hughes was very meticulous in setting points targets per month for his players. Maybe the players feel directionless without this level of planning. (I assume that Ince doesn't do this because I can't imagine many managers sitting down and calculating points targets).

Like I think someone may have said earlier, it would be cheaper to go buy a decent left back than a decent left winger so it could be that Warnock may be used on the left hand side of midfield not just through the centre, therefore putting more pressure on Pedersen to perform. Warnock has always been useful going forward and Ince may just have realised that we need someone other than Pedersen out wide at the moment.

Hopefully we will get to see this Schafer and Janko arrive in January whether or not Ince is still here as they would be 2 fine additions to the squad. I still expect to see a new right winger and possibly a quality centre midfielder.

As exciting as it may be to be linked to a German International left back, do we need him? And could £4m be better spent elsewhere?

If this deal goes through, then, combined with the outlay on Grella, we would have spent approx £7m on two areas which were not really in need of repair. I'd have rather seen the combined figure spent on a top quality center half.

If Ince sees Warnock as a midfielder now, then he can surely only be deployed as a ball winner in there. Which makes the Grella signing even more pointless.

Our lack of mobility at the back is plain to see yet we look to strengthen a position which was one of our strong points last season.

In the summer Inces signings were confusing to say the least. They didn't seem to relate to the positions which we regularly struggled with over the last few seasons. However, i overlooked this as, perhaps, new signings would be followed by outbound transfers. As it was we started the season with about 10 center midfielders and not much idea how to accommodate them.

Now, approaching Christmas we find ourselves in relegation trouble and we are linked with a left back with a price tag likely to be around half the amount of our transfer kitty (at best). This is senseless! Forget this guy. No matter how good he may be we cannot afford to fritter our money away on a position we don't need to strengthen.

For a similar reason we should send Villanueva home. £5m could be better spent elsewhere. Namely a right winger. Part of the reason we have looked so poor over the last few weeks in particular is a lack of balance. Emerton has come back and will ease that, but he is not the answer. I'm all for spending £4m on one player but i wish we'd make it a player we need.

In my eyes we need a fast and established Center Half and a Right Winger as priorities. Closely followed by a RB, a midfielder who is actually comfortable with the ball at his feet (before its said, not Carlos) and a Left Winger.

Look at it another way,if we get 2 quality full-backs that leaves Warnock to play left-mid and Emo to play right-mid.Grella centre-mid with Carlos and Pedersen as attacking mid with Santa-Cruz spearheading the attack.Because Warnock and Emerton are good defensively AND attack-wise that would give Pedersen and Carlos free roles.

With the formation something like this:

----------------------Robinson---------------------

New R/B ----- Samba ---- Nelsen ---- German

------------------------Grella------------------------

Emo----------------------------------------Warnock

-------------Carlos----------Pedersen--------------

-------------------------Santa------------------------

For a similar reason we should send Villanueva home. £5m could be better spent elsewhere. Namely a right winger. Part of the reason we have looked so poor over the last few weeks in particular is a lack of balance. Emerton has come back and will ease that, but he is not the answer. I'm all for spending £4m on one player but i wish we'd make it a player we need.

We still have Villanueva till the end of the season. We have to decide on the fee by January, otherwise he'll be anyone else's in May.

Archived