BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Realistic Summer Moves

We still have Villanueva till the end of the season. We have to decide on the fee by January, otherwise he'll be anyone else's in May.

It was my understanding we have him on a season long loan with the option to make it permenant at a pre-determined, set fee by the end of January. If we don't take up this option he can remain on loan but we run the risk of someone else being able to negotiate with Audax Italiano and take him at the start of next year. Hence why Ince keeps saying he has got some decisions to make regarding him. Any future transfer fee and contract terms have been agreed already.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well you said to send him home, when we've got him here till May regardless of fee. We might as well make the best of it. If he can play with Roque and Tugay around him, we'll have a much better attacking threat.

Well you said to send him home, when we've got him here till May regardless of fee. We might as well make the best of it. If he can play with Roque and Tugay around him, we'll have a much better attacking threat.

I agree in principle. I just worry he is too much of a luxury to have when we're in a relegation scrap. The most frustrating thing is i can see him going on to be an exceptional player. It would not suprise me if he ends up at R.Madrid or something. Unfortunately we cannot seem to compliment him and visa-versa right now. I'd love to be proved wrong cos he is undoubtedly a real talent.

But what DO you need for a relegation scrap? Hard graft is all well and good, but you need someone who can make something out of nothing. Villanueva is that type of player, but Ince has managed him poorly. He's either been stuck out wide or crammed in the middle. He hasn't the pace or strength to impose himself there. He's a second striker, so he should play as a second striker.

But what DO you need for a relegation scrap? Hard graft is all well and good, but you need someone who can make something out of nothing. Villanueva is that type of player, but Ince has managed him poorly. He's either been stuck out wide or crammed in the middle. He hasn't the pace or strength to impose himself there. He's a second striker, so he should play as a second striker.

Again, i'm not gonna argue with you over that. Ince hasn't used him to his strengths. But to be fair to the man, he hasn't often been afforded that luxury. With injuries and players out of form he has had to play him out wide too much. But for him to play just off the front man he needs to have a midfield around him who atleast supply high levels of movement. We cannot boast that midfield.

As for players needed for a relegation scrap, well thats up for debate. Often just one or two examples of a 'braveheart' type player rub off on the rest. More important is a leader. I'm not sure Nelsen is that man. For me the sides who are good at set pieces will always stand a better chance of survival. Sides at the bottom need to take their chances and set pieces can be a rehearsed routine which create chances. I also think genuine pace is a key asset. I think Hodgson realised that at Fulham hence Johnson's arrival. We are sadly lacking in this department. I've not seen us look really dangerous upfront since we sold Bellamy.

Again, i'm not gonna argue with you over that. Ince hasn't used him to his strengths. But to be fair to the man, he hasn't often been afforded that luxury. With injuries and players out of form he has had to play him out wide too much. But for him to play just off the front man he needs to have a midfield around him who atleast supply high levels of movement. We cannot boast that midfield.

I think Ince has been his own worst enemy all-round. If he had concentrated on replacing Bentley, we could have moved Emerton in-field, where he played very well last season. He's got the energy and mobility you speak of. As well as Tugay, we've also got a good passer of the ball in Vogel who's been exiled completely (not even in the reserves... WTF Ince!!?!) So ultimately, Villanueva's progress (or lack there of) is mostly down to Ince. He hasn't played his cards right at all, and our team looks so wonky and unbalanced it's unreal.

I think Ince has been his own worst enemy all-round. If he had concentrated on replacing Bentley, we could have moved Emerton in-field, where he played very well last season. He's got the energy and mobility you speak of. As well as Tugay, we've also got a good passer of the ball in Vogel who's been exiled completely (not even in the reserves... WTF Ince!!?!) So ultimately, Villanueva's progress (or lack there of) is mostly down to Ince. He hasn't played his cards right at all, and our team looks so wonky and unbalanced it's unreal.

As i said a few posts back, we have been hugely unbalanced for the last few weeks in particular. Which coincided with Emertons injury. That was kind of my point. Emerton has done pretty well out wide but he's not the answer. The £4m (potentially) we might pay for this left back is a waste. A right winger allows Emerton to come in field and gives us a better shape. Completely agree about your point about Emerton's mobility. I was never his biggest fan but happily ate my words over last season. In the middle he is busy and effective.

But i still feel at this moment in time we would be well advised to spend the Villanueva money on a center half. The stupid goals we concede could be remedied with a decent center half. I'm not sure Ince knows how to coach a player of Villanueva's style. I'd rather we got a disciplined shape and style back before integrating a free role to the side. It works in sides who pass and move. But we don't seem to have the personnel to string 2 passes together at the moment, let alone 25-30.

But i still feel at this moment in time we would be well advised to spend the Villanueva money on a center half.

Agreed.

In light of this season's results and performances I think this is now our number one priority position.

We need a reasonably quick, reliable, top class, hard as nails, no frills, centre half to assist Samba.

Staam/Vidic types.

Not holding my breath as I can't see the Trustees forking out for anyone genuinely top drawer.

I thought Tugay was already coaching at the club in some capacity?? In fact I thought it was in his contract, sure I read he was going to work at the academy when he signed his new deal? Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Tugay was just a tenous link put out by the Taffia when he did his extension that MAY lead to coaching role in future; far from anything concrete.

Tugay has always spent time with the Academy lads etc. though just knockabouts, skills stuff etc. - even when Derbs was coming through, he was always the fella they always wanted to train with.

Going back to the Kightley deal, think it's even more out of our reach when the Grays chairman mentioned they've a good sell-on involved should he leave Wolves. Considering Ince thought he would be valued at least 6 million (back in Aug), think we've more hope of Megan Fox appearing at a rejuvenated Suttys :D

It was my understanding we have him on a season long loan with the option to make it permenant at a pre-determined, set fee by the end of January. If we don't take up this option he can remain on loan but we run the risk of someone else being able to negotiate with Audax Italiano and take him at the start of next year. Hence why Ince keeps saying he has got some decisions to make regarding him. Any future transfer fee and contract terms have been agreed already.

This could prove a masterstroke - though not intentionally. As it stands, I doubt we'd commit to anything to claim him at all, however we've then got the rest of the season for him to settle, tell them he wants to come over for good & we offer a reduced some than agreed to call their bluff. Bonus!

Whoever is in charge in January we need an injection of real quality throughout the side. I'd say we need (in order of urgency)

1) A centre half

2) A right winger

3) A striker

4) A left winger

The above list is conditional on Dunn staying fit for the rest of the season as well otherwise I'd put in a creative midfielder at no. 3.

It's not going to happen overnight but if we're going to challenge in the top half of the Premiership in the forseeable future we need to be looking to get quality in in all the above positions and gradually move on the likes of Nelsen, Ooijer, Mokoena, Tugay, Vogel, Andrews, MGP, McCarthy and Roberts.

Just not good and/or consistent enough these days.

Can't see the funding for anything like all that being available. No wonder Hughes bailed out.

Whoever is in charge in January we need an injection of real quality throughout the side. I'd say we need (in order of urgency)

1) A centre half

2) A right winger

3) A striker

4) A left winger

The above list is conditional on Dunn staying fit for the rest of the season as well otherwise I'd put in a creative midfielder at no. 3.

It's not going to happen overnight but if we're going to challenge in the top half of the Premiership in the forseeable future we need to be looking to get quality in in all the above positions and gradually move on the likes of Nelsen, Ooijer, Mokoena, Tugay, Vogel, Andrews, MGP, McCarthy and Roberts.

Just not good and/or consistent enough these days.

Can't see the funding for anything like all that being available. No wonder Hughes bailed out.

Just add the creative midfielder to the list.

A minimum of five players needed and it will be Ince who will have to find them.

Let's just hope the board give him enough cash.

As i said in the other topic. I think we idealy need the following 1 RB, 1 CB, 1 LM, 2 RM's, 1 or 2 CM's and 2 CF's...

We should sell/release, Robbie Fowler, Steven Reid, Ryan Nelsen, Benni McCarthy, Morten Gamst Pedersen, Aaron Mokoena and Jason Roberts.

Sign:

- Vasilis Torosidis (£3 m) RB

- Tore Reginiussen (2 m) CB & Roland Juhász (1 m)

- Arda Turan (7 m) LM

- Michael Kightly (6 m) & Jermaine Pennant (1 m) or Ahmed Al-Muhammadi (1 m?) 2 RM's

- Stephen Appiah (Free) & Prince Buaben (2 m) CM's

- Marc Janko (£3 m) & Sylvan Ebanks-Blake (3-4 m) 2 CF's

Sign:

- Arda Turan (7 m) LM

- Michael Kightly (6 m) & Jermaine Pennant (1 m) or Ahmed Al-Muhammadi (1 m?) 2 RM's

The only ones of those I'm really aware of are Kightly, who I think would be a lot more expensive, and Pennant, who I doubt would be available for as little as 1m.

Even so, at your values that's still 30m worth!

I'd be quite pleasantly surprised if we spend a third of that in January even though we probably need to commit to a lot more.

The only ones of those I'm really aware of are Kightly, who I think would be a lot more expensive, and Pennant, who I doubt would be available for as little as 1m.

Even so, at your values that's still 30m worth!

I'd be quite pleasantly surprised if we spend a third of that in January even though we probably need to commit to a lot more.

If you look in the, What you'd do if Paul Ince topic, you will see how i worked it out...

As for Pennant, his contract is expiring at the end of the season, so would be available for a low fee...

As i said in the other topic. I think we idealy need the following 1 RB, 1 CB, 1 LM, 2 RM's, 1 or 2 CM's and 2 CF's...

We should sell/release, Robbie Fowler, Steven Reid, Ryan Nelsen, Benni McCarthy, Morten Gamst Pedersen, Aaron Mokoena and Jason Roberts.

Sign:

- Arda Turan (7 m) LM

That "FM Scout" is awesome eh?

Dear Paul Ince,

I have recently been playing Fifa '09 in manager mode and have been taking the reins at Blackburn Rovers FC. Whilst doing so I realised I need some midfield flair. I searched high and low and found this player, Cesc Fabregas. I duly signed him for 4million Pesetas. I highly recommend you do the same.

Yours sincerley,

Absolute Nutjob.

That "FM Scout" is awesome eh?

Sigh!

- Vasilis Torosidis - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/200...15875-20922879/

- Tore Reginiussen - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/latest/2008/...15875-20905277/

- Roland Juhász - A player Newcastle were interested in signing a while back. He has been quality for Anderlecht, and i remember him being quality for them against Chelsea in the Champions League. He is used mostly off the bench at the moment, and probably wants a step up into a first team...

- Arda Turan - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/200...15875-20594299/ - Again has been interesting Newcastle. Would be a quality replacement for Gamst.

- Michael Kightly - A player most of us have been banging on about as a natural replacement for Bentley with added pace. According to this we may or may not have been interested: http://www.birminghampost.net/midlands-bir...65233-21033691/

- Jermaine Pennant - Have been linked too: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...urn-Rovers.html and also, as i said earlier, his contract is low which means we could get him on the cheap in January or free next summer: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/live...55578-22254429/

- Ahmed Al-Muhammadi - http://africanfootball.mtnfootball.com/liv...p?Item_ID=17298

- Stephen Appiah - Another quality player who people have been talking about coming to Ewood. Available on a free.

- Prince Buaben - Central midfield teammate for Appiah for Ghana. Has been quality for Dundee United. Still young, would be a relatively cheap option...

- Marc Janko - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/200...15875-20903916/

- Sylvan Ebanks-Blake - Has been absolutely quality for Wolves, and would be a superb younger replacement for Roberts. Has experience of playing ahead of Kightly, and if we could get them on a double deal it would be superb.

Oh and BTW, unlike some of you, i don't own a Football Manager/Championship Manager game... Haven't done for about 2-3 years. :lol:

Sigh!

* insert quality backup material*

Well see if you had just done that in the first place I would have not doubted your post

Are you advocating removing 7 players and bringing in 11 new players in the squad in January? Barring the Chelski revolution it has got to be the biggest squad sacking/recruitment drive in history?

I don't know how we can sell some proven quality players without first replacing them with proven quality. How can we gaurantee any of those players are better then what we have got?

The idea would be to keep Benni and bring in Janko, if Janko turns out to be more valuable to the squad then sell Benni.

Speaking about transfers etc.

First the good news.

Just been looking at BBC teletext and it is showing a report about Grimsby approaching Mr. Fowler to be a player coach.

Now the bad news

It also quotes the Grimsby chairman as saying the problem is that he has a three month playing contract at Rovers and it appears that it is going to EXTENDED.

Archived