BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Takeover Thread

A mystery Chinese consortium is secretly financing a proposed £40m takeover of Blackburn Rovers. (News of the World)

There's nothing about this in the paper, just on their website, unless they also do different editions throughout the country :angry:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Under the Bentley article is one about Utaka at Pompey, no takeover article??

Nicko please tell me you did not write the bit about Ridgewell being a £2.5m target?

Any chance you can post the takeover article, definitely not in my edition, been through all of the sports pages.

I don't believe the Ridgwell story, it's an old one and should never have been in the paper.

I don't believe the Roque stuff either. With due respect he doesn't have the pace needed to play in Man U's attack.

The Chinese money possibility - and it's only that - is part of the Chris Ronnie story in the People. For the benefit of those who did not get the right edition it would be this:

Mark Hughes will be offered a seat on the board at Blackburn Rovers - if takeover bidder Chris Ronnie wins his battle for power.

Boss Hughes is considered so important by shrewd football wheeler-dealer Ronnie that he is prepared to make him a director in a new-look team.

Ronnie and his backers have spent the past week putting the final touches on their plans as they make a move for Rovers, as revealed by People Sport last week.

The Cheshire-based JJB Sports supremo hopes to convince the late Jack Walker's family and club trustees that he can put a winning combination together - with cash and expertise to offer.

Ronnie has told friends within the game that he has the money to buy the shares and sort out the club's debt, which is running at around £20 million but well under control.

However Ronnie knows that he has to have cash to keep Hughes happy - and he plans to take it one step further by giving him a place on the board in an astonishing gesture.

Hughes has been linked with moves away from Ewood Park and will be mentioned again if there is a round of top vacancies in the summer months.

Ronnie knows that he cannot let Hughes go and thinks that giving him cash and a prestige post will be enough to keep the former Manchester United and Chelsea legend 'onside' and pleased to stay.

The ideas man, who has worked in sportswear, is keeping the size of his kitty a closely-guarded secret. He does not want to over-pay for shares and bite into his transfer fund.

I can reveal that Ronnie does have major foreign money behind him, with his Icelandic allies at JJB involved and a Far Eastern backer who has already tried for one Premier League club a possible ally.

Ronnie has also had a summit with leading Rovers fans with cash and plans to have as broad a group in his team as he can manage without having 'too many cooks.'

I don't believe the Ridgwell story, it's an old one and should never have been in the paper.

I don't believe the Roque stuff either. With due respect he doesn't have the pace needed to play in Man U's attack.

The Chinese money possibility - and it's only that - is part of the Chris Ronnie story in the People. For the benefit of those who did not get the right edition it would be this:

Mark Hughes will be offered a seat on the board at Blackburn Rovers - if takeover bidder Chris Ronnie wins his battle for power.

Boss Hughes is considered so important by shrewd football wheeler-dealer Ronnie that he is prepared to make him a director in a new-look team.

Ronnie and his backers have spent the past week putting the final touches on their plans as they make a move for Rovers, as revealed by People Sport last week.

The Cheshire-based JJB Sports supremo hopes to convince the late Jack Walker's family and club trustees that he can put a winning combination together - with cash and expertise to offer.

Ronnie has told friends within the game that he has the money to buy the shares and sort out the club's debt, which is running at around £20 million but well under control.

However Ronnie knows that he has to have cash to keep Hughes happy - and he plans to take it one step further by giving him a place on the board in an astonishing gesture.

Hughes has been linked with moves away from Ewood Park and will be mentioned again if there is a round of top vacancies in the summer months.

Ronnie knows that he cannot let Hughes go and thinks that giving him cash and a prestige post will be enough to keep the former Manchester United and Chelsea legend 'onside' and pleased to stay.

The ideas man, who has worked in sportswear, is keeping the size of his kitty a closely-guarded secret. He does not want to over-pay for shares and bite into his transfer fund.

I can reveal that Ronnie does have major foreign money behind him, with his Icelandic allies at JJB involved and a Far Eastern backer who has already tried for one Premier League club a possible ally.

Ronnie has also had a summit with leading Rovers fans with cash and plans to have as broad a group in his team as he can manage without having 'too many cooks.'

In your honest opinion Alan,what is Chris Ronnies motive for wanting to buy the Rovers? it is fair to say he won`t make any money out of it.

Is he a Rovers supporter?

[/color]

A mystery Chinese consortium is secretly financing a proposed £40m takeover of Blackburn Rovers. (News of the World)

QUOTE(Tim Southampton Rover @ Apr 14 2008, 15:01 )

It would have been ideal to devlop the 'Blackburn Rovers brand' in 1995 but I don't believe people knew then just how successful the Premier League would become and how much money would be in the game in 10 years time due to TV money and sponsorship money.

The great thing about Indias economy is that it's expected to boom in years to come and Goldman Sachs (world's largest global investment banks) predicts that India will become the 3rd largest economy of the world behind US and China. A lot of people think of India being in poverty but in the last 20 years it's percentage of population below the poverty line has halved and still dropping at a good rate. I don't think football playing 2nd fiddle to cricket is a bad thing because there are many countries which favour other sports above England but it doesn't mean that football wouldn't be successful. Correct me if i'm wrong but Chinas most popular sports include Basketball and Table tennis.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject might be able to say whether it's a good idea or not but as a fan i'm hoping Rovers can remain competing with the best of the clubs in the Premier League.

yoda said

Basketball and Table tennis are the most popular at the moment in China, but with a population of 1.4 billion there is plenty of scope.

Plus the Chinese in general want just about anything from Europe that has a brand, but that does not mean it has to be mainstream, for example the Dunhill brand is seen by many Chinese as being very desirable even though it is not widely promoted and there are many more cases which someone from the west probably would not understand why.

The Rovers could place themselves in the niche sector and do very well as the niche sector in Asia would probably be 100 times greater than in Europe.

The Rovers brand would have a lot going for it, History, tradition, recent sucess and the best football strip in the world. Our kit is just unique and cannot be mistaken for anyone else.

Not going to say I told you so, but when the Chinese money men make their mind up about something, they usually achieve their goal.

I am going to try and find out more about the consortium though

:rover:

Cheers.

Looks like a good move to try and get Sparky on side, he is one of our biggest assets based on his transfer dealings.

If Ronnie has the backing of others, it could be the solution we are looking for, out of interest who does he support?

The Icelandic people seem to have a lot of money, and it would be interesting to find out who the Far Eastern backer is.

Let's hope we have something in place over the summer that can push the club on next year and for a long time after that.

In your honest opinion Alan,what is Chris Ronnies motive for wanting to buy the Rovers? it is fair to say he won`t make any money out of it.

Is he a Rovers supporter?

I'm not sure of the answer to that one. He probably - like most of us - thinks he could run a club if he had enough money behind him.

Until I know where the money is coming from - and what THEY want to do with it - I can't give you a propeor answer.

One thing is for sure, nobody tries to buy a club because they want to throw their money away. They have to have a plan and I would think Ronnie has a decent one,

As for the team he supports...he was a Wigan director a few years back, but I think that was mainly because of his Dave Whelan and JJB allegiances.

This all sounds very interesting. It also sounds like this deal may happen. I just hope the Chinese chaps don't insist on buying 20 Chinese playrrs, a la Vladimir Romanov, and just let the lub and team develop. I wish I knew who these guys were, and what companies they own etc.

Will the stewards have to wear blue and white tracksuits, and be told to rough up anyone with a Tibetan flag?

If it happens then its a very good option for us to try and break the chinese market. Link up with a chinese club maybe as marketing/ friendly each year. Maybe get some of the best youngsters in our academy and also hoepfully improve our merchanidise sales and maybe they will open a proper club shop for us?!

Its all getting rather interesting isn't it folks! :rock:

Like others have stated there is MASSIVE potential if this Chinese consortium news is to be believed(they have already taken in a game at Ewood I do believe!).The possibility of marketing the club in that area could be lucrative to say the least to the tune of millions for Rovers.

Again,concerns must exist though as to just why they would invest in a 'town club' who make little to no profit through poor demographics and their relative money making potential is limited compared to others?

For instance,could/will ticket prices increase knowing full well the efforts that have been made this season,would they dare take that risk?So many questions, only time will tell.................

The thought of tucking into Peking duck with fried rice at half time though may just sway it in their favour!! :tu:

Its all getting rather interesting isn't it folks! :rock:

Like others have stated there is MASSIVE potential if this Chinese consortium news is to be believed(they have already taken in a game at Ewood I do believe!).The possibility of marketing the club in that area could be lucrative to say the least to the tune of millions for Rovers.

Again,concerns must exist though as to just why they would invest in a 'town club' who make little to no profit through poor demographics and their relative money making potential is limited compared to others?

For instance,could/will ticket prices increase knowing full well the efforts that have been made this season,would they dare take that risk?So many questions, only time will tell.................

The thought of tucking into Peking duck with fried rice at half time though may just sway it in their favour!! :tu:

....and of course

under the players numbers on the back of their shirts, a named meal !

IE number 9 = chicken chow mein :rolleyes:

I always seem to be pouring cold water on any potential bidders but the latest interest doesn't appear to ring true at all.

A 25m bid appears to be way short of a realistic mark and without knowing him personally I would have thought the notion of inviting an outstanding young manager like Mark Hughes upstairs into the boardroom at this stage of his career is a complete non starter.

I always seem to be pouring cold water on any potential bidders but the latest interest doesn't appear to ring true at all.

A 25m bid appears to be way short of a realistic mark and without knowing him personally I would have thought the notion of inviting an outstanding young manager like Mark Hughes upstairs into the boardroom at this stage of his career is a complete non starter.

The price has to be right for both parties. I think £25 million for shares isn't insulting. What it has to be backed up with is proof of funds to cover the debts and to make a fist of it in the future.

Trying to tie the manager down to a long-term commitment on and off the park is a very shrewd idea in my opinion. There is no suggestion it would mean taking him out of the dug-out.

Trying to tie the manager down to a long-term commitment on and off the park is a very shrewd idea in my opinion. There is no suggestion it would mean taking him out of the dug-out.

Isn't there a distinct conflict of interest in having the manager on the Board as well?

Has it happened anywhere before?

And more to the point did it work?

Nicko, when Dan Williams was interested in buying the club, you had details of his plans for rovers, which you said were very appealing. You wouldn't divulge them then [understandably], but as he seems to well gone, are you prepared to shed any light on what his intentions were?

It will never happen (Hughes on the board). Might be a nice idea but I hope we are not going to hear endless unrealistic plans for the club....

Dan Williams part two!

Why not? Is there a rule against it? It would certainly give the club a better chance of keeping their manager if he was part of it at two levels.

I seem to recall Peter Reid being given a chunk of shares when he was at Sunderland...it's not quite the same thing, but it's not far off.

Nicko, when Dan Williams was interested in buying the club, you had details of his plans for rovers, which you said were very appealing. You wouldn't divulge them then [understandably], but as he seems to well gone, are you prepared to shed any light on what his intentions were?

No, that would be wrong on several scores.

I think we should have moved heaven and earth to get Dalglish on the Board in 1995 when he seemingly made it clear at that point he no longer wanted the hassle of day to day management.

However there is a crucial difference between him and Hughes who has his whole management career still in front of him.

I think we should have moved heaven and earth to get Dalglish on the Board in 1995 when he seemingly made it clear at that point he no longer wanted the hassle of day to day management.

However there is a crucial difference between him and Hughes who has his whole management career still in front of him.

It's not a retirement plan as far as I am aware, more of a commitment from both parties which would be no bad thing.

I don't see any clash or conflict. And if it's not been thought of before then why knock a bright idea?

At least the numbers are going in the right direction- it started at £25m and is now a £40m deal. Dan Williams started at £65m and improved his offer to less than £50m.

Unless the complete package is into nine figures (that's combined for ownership of club and all physical and real estate assets, debt coverage and commitment for Rovers' future), I doubt Rovers will be changing hands though.

At least the numbers are going in the right direction- it started at £25m and is now a £40m deal. Dan Williams started at £65m and improved his offer to less than £50m.

Unless the complete package is into nine figures (that's combined for ownership of club and all physical and real estate assets, debt coverage and commitment for Rovers' future), I doubt Rovers will be changing hands though.

When did it go to £40 million?

And in whose interests is a 'nine figure' deal?

When did it go to £40 million?

And in whose interests is a 'nine figure' deal?

It went to £40 million this morning when the Chinese consortium was mentioned. Though how the news of the world can say it is a 'secret plan' when they are printing an article about it.

Nicko, was there not a Chinese group interested in Birmingham this season - but no money was forthcoming - so Birmingham gave up on the idea. This would not be the same group interested in Rovers would it.

It went to £40 million this morning when the Chinese consortium was mentioned. Though how the news of the world can say it is a 'secret plan' when they are printing an article about it.

Nicko, was there not a Chinese group interested in Birmingham this season - but no money was forthcoming - so Birmingham gave up on the idea. This would not be the same group interested in Rovers would it.

The News of the World figure is just guesswork.

The Chinese who went for Birmingham have a stake in the club and are NOT the same people on the fringes of this Rovers interest.

It's not a retirement plan as far as I am aware, more of a commitment from both parties which would be no bad thing.

I don't see any clash or conflict. And if it's not been thought of before then why knock a bright idea?

I totally agree that to have Mark Hughes on the board is a very good idea - at least it would be somebody who knows football. I also think that Mark Hughes is the type of person that if he considered he was not performing as a manager good enough, that he would step down for the good of the team - and be in a position to help appoint somebody else - who also would be willing to come because of Mark Hughes being on the board.

Archived