BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nickos (newer) Thread

Can I just say no matter what, there is always a club worse off than yours.

Fulham have signed Bobby Zamora and John Pantsil for 6.3 million rising to 7.3 million.

Fulham are signing Frederik Stoor, a right back.

Fulham have made a 4.5million bid for Luke Young.

So if the last two transfers go through we will have 5 first team right backs.

:rolleyes:

I used to go & watch Brighton (local team) when Zamora was playing for them helping them to get promoted twice, he was quality then (granted, it was the old division 3 & then div 2). He managed to get into the England u21 team whilst playing at that level. He has a very good left foot. He made a wrong move by signing for Spuds & spent a lot of time sitting on the bench. I hope he is a success at Fulham, just as long as he doesn't score against us!

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nicko, given that the Spuds are notoriously awkward to deal with what are the chances of the Robbo and Bentley deal being wrapped up by Friday in order for the Villa deal for Brad to be finalised then?

Out of curiosity, I know Castillo and Osorio are being mentioned in hushed tones but are Rovers' other targets mainly in the premiership/championship or are we looking European or further afield than that?

We better not end up with Jason Koumas!

Nothing wrong with Koumas whenever I've seen him play to be honest. And he appeared to be Hughes second choice in Jan so I would not be disappointed at all. Keeping Bentley for the creativity option being the key.

Just in time to register him for a debut just 24 hours later in the inter toto cup game i'll presume.

UEFA deadline is Friday midnight. I checked the rule yesterday. Special deadlines for games at this stage of the year...for brinksmanship just like this.

Nicko, given that the Spuds are notoriously awkward to deal with what are the chances of the Robbo and Bentley deal being wrapped up by Friday in order for the Villa deal for Brad to be finalised then? THE VALUATIONS ARE SOME WAY APART. THE GAP ISN'T CLOSING ON THIS ONE - YET. BUT I EXPECT A DEVELOPMENT ON THE BENTLEY SIDE TODAY.

Out of curiosity, I know Castillo and Osorio are being mentioned in hushed tones but are Rovers' other targets mainly in the premiership/championship or are we looking European or further afield than that? ALL OVER THE WORLD.

£3m Belletti Move

Nicko any truth in this?

Good player, wrong age. If he was very cheap it would be worth a look.

Don't think Robinson and Bentley need to be sold in order for Brad to be sold.

Spurs need to sell one of their other players first.

We'll only sell Brad if Villa agree a fee.

I don't think Villa need to sell anyone to finance the move (or am I wrong and it depends on Barry?)

If Brad goes we buy Robinson

If Robinson goes Spurs get a bit more money for Bentley, but they need to sell someone else to put the rest of the cash together (Keane?); or perhaps Villa will come in? (Would they need to sell Barry first?)

Er ... think that's it. It's like one of those house-buying chains.

I have to say that I don't understand all the negativity about this news. I think it's great news. The one thing we would prefer is that our current crop remains at the club. Villa failing to offer enough for Brad, and Spurs refusing to come down on the price for Robinson plus the Barry deal seemingly falling through means that the chances of Brad and bentley leaving this summer have just shortened. Perhaps not by much, but a little.

The club have said they don't want to sell either, which is why I find it very amusing Spuds are playing had ball. If we don't want to sell why would we cave in and accept less than we want? Idiots in the extreme. Oh, wait - it's Spurs...

One thing I don't understand is that we are supposed to be looking at a replacement for Brad, as Nicko puts it, so that Brad can then go to Villa. But if Villa have not even had an offer accepted why bother looking? Once Villa have met the valuation then we look. Either Villa give up and go elsewhere - we keep Brad - or they wait until we find the right keeper?

Don't suppose you can tell us any more about attacking midfield targets Nicko? Can't remember if you said you couldn't, or didn't know.

One thing I don't understand is that we are supposed to be looking at a replacement for Brad, as Nicko puts it, so that Brad can then go to Villa. But if Villa have not even had an offer accepted why bother looking? Once Villa have met the valuation then we look. Either Villa give up and go elsewhere - we keep Brad - or they wait until we find the right keeper?

Don't suppose you can tell us any more about attacking midfield targets Nicko? Can't remember if you said you couldn't, or didn't know.

Rovers are unlikely to sell Brad until they have a replacecement sorted out - fee agreed, terms agreed. There is one keeper they want above all others [Paul Robinson] but he is expensive.

Villa would also have to pay the fee for Brad that makes those sums work.

That's the equation, now it's about putting it into action.

The fact that Bentley comes into the equation makes it tougher to finalise. If Rovers JUST had to buy Robinson they could haggle, but they know Spurs want Bentley. It's a tough one.

Nicko, given that the Spuds are notoriously awkward to deal with what are the chances of the Robbo and Bentley deal being wrapped up by Friday in order for the Villa deal for Brad to be finalised then? THE VALUATIONS ARE SOME WAY APART. THE GAP ISN'T CLOSING ON THIS ONE - YET. BUT I EXPECT A DEVELOPMENT ON THE BENTLEY SIDE TODAY.

Out of curiosity, I know Castillo and Osorio are being mentioned in hushed tones but are Rovers' other targets mainly in the premiership/championship or are we looking European or further afield than that? ALL OVER THE WORLD.

So basically, Spuds are trying to play hard ball then whilst expecting to drive the price down for Bents?

Also, may be me being naive but if Ince has been in post less than a month, where has all these worldwide players come from? Surely Ince doesn't know about the majority of them hence the lack of activity that he wants to either see them for himself or one of "his" guys to evaluate them before moving?

FOR THOSE WHO THOUGHT 'MONEYBAGS' MAN CITY WERE GETTING RONALDINHO, IT'S GOOD TO SEE HIM IN MILAN FOR A MEDICAL...WANT TO READ THIS AGAIN? ;)

Man City are getting what we in Glasgow call a 'good using.'

It suits Barcelona to say they have a bid while AC Milan are in town to negotiate.

It also suits Man City to look big.

City have spent the last three months trying to get sponsors for the Ronaldinho project...they can't afford him unless they do that.

I will say again - City did not have enough money to 'sign' your old manager. They had to borrow the cash.

Have they just robbed a bank to get the Ronaldinho dough?

Think about it.

So basically, Spuds are trying to play hard ball then whilst expecting to drive the price down for Bents?

Also, may be me being naive but if Ince has been in post less than a month, where has all these worldwide players come from? Surely Ince doesn't know about the majority of them hence the lack of activity that he wants to either see them for himself or one of "his" guys to evaluate them before moving?

Spurs play hard ball with everything. That's why Daniel Levy often misses out on targets entirely...and signs the likes of Rasiak at the last minute of a window.

I said from the moment the Bentley talk started [elsewhere, I should add] that Spurs are the biggest messers in the game.

Ince has an eye for a player. He has had DVDs and videos and is also sending people to watch the various players on his short-list. I have heard some of the names and if you land two in particular you will be thrilled. The 'one that got away' was a belter too. I am quite encouraged...on THAT front at least.

The 2 in particular, are they needs or wants? As we need a RB and a creative midfielder. do they fall into that bracket or have you heard any other names linked other than the Ecuadorian and Mexican?

With regard to the one that got away, i know you arent willing to name him or the club but could you at least give us an age bracket and nationality?

Im assuming he was an established name?

FOR THOSE WHO THOUGHT 'MONEYBAGS' MAN CITY WERE GETTING RONALDINHO, IT'S GOOD TO SEE HIM IN MILAN FOR A MEDICAL...WANT TO READ THIS AGAIN? ;)

Spurs play hard ball with everything. That's why Daniel Levy often misses out on targets entirely...and signs the likes of Rasiak at the last minute of a window.

I said from the moment the Bentley talk started [elsewhere, I should add] that Spurs are the biggest messers in the game.

Ince has an eye for a player. He has had DVDs and videos and is also sending people to watch the various players on his short-list. I have heard some of the names and if you land two in particular you will be thrilled. The 'one that got away' was a belter too. I am quite encouraged...on THAT front at least. I presume rovers have to sell before they can buy?

So -

We're interested in signing a little-known Ecuadorian goal-scoring defensive midfielder from the Serbian league for around £6m. Or - even worse - proven failure/talentless flop Jermaine Pennant. But when an exciting, top-quality, international ATTACKING MIDFIELD player like Aimar becomes available for around the same price, we don't even place a bid?!?

Have the words 'personal terms' ever entered your head spencey? Do you know how much Aimar or anyone else for that matter would want to sign on and as salary? :rolleyes:

btw whats wrong with the pace and power of Roberts as one of our 4 striker options? He's no Benny Mac in terms of skill but he is about the only one we have who will give the likes of John Terry a hard time. Remember picking a team each week is about options and horses for courses.

You'd better leave the thinking to others if thats the best that you can manage.

The 'sell before you can buy' thing should NOT be the case if the money on offer to the former manager, the compo from his going, the Trustees £3 million are all in the pot...and have not mysteriously disappeared.

But you never know... ;)

Have the words 'personal terms' ever entered your head spencey? Do you know how much Aimar or anyone else for that matter would want to sign on and as salary? :rolleyes:

Rovers made no move for Aimar at all. End of story.

I'm sorry, Pafell, I'm not having a go, but why did you have to post Nick's post again - with no comment?

Pointless.

This thread's long enough as it is.

In fact, it would help if more people would stop copying other posts in their replies.

We are all capable of reading prior posts!

Doesn't sound like things are standing still on the scouting front.

Been at a junior football tournament in Rothwell (Leeds) today and counted at least 3 Rovers scouts there.

In fact they already have a development centre near Bradford and will be opening one in Huddersfield shortly

Just as a matter of interest.....how do you know there were 3 Rovers scouts there? Do they all stand there holding big placards proclaiming that they are Rovers scouts or what? ;)

I'm sorry, Pafell, I'm not having a go, but why did you have to post Nick's post again - with no comment?

Pointless.

This thread's long enough as it is.

In fact, it would help if more people would stop copying other posts in their replies.

We are all capable of reading prior posts!

If you noticed I put one of Nicko's paragraphs in bold and asked a question afterwards - such as I presume rovers have to sell before they buy. Whch Nicko has noticed hence his comment.

The Credit crunch seems to have come to football with lots of moves depending on someone injecting a little liquidity. The AC Milan move of Ronldinho made me think that the sums clubs say they have to spend might not be real cash. I wonder if this would be a fair analysis:

Man Utd - Some liquidity but all borrowed - seem to have underbid a little for Berbatov - Awaiting King Juans cash to go to RM for Ronaldo? £25m to

spend?

Arsenal - Should have cash but slow to be linked - awaiting possible income from Adebayor? Cash borrowed against Erimates huge revenue £20m+

Chelsea - can spend forever (£16 m 4 year contract for Wayne Bridge for heavens sake!) In a league of their own but cash going abroad (and IKEA/Selfridges or Sandbanks pad keeping Ms Bridge happy) £infinity I'm afraid.

Liverpool - can't afford anyone big without selling -fairly skint, looking for any capital they can get, limit borrowed? £0

Everton - dreadfully skint - re-mortgaging re-mortgages. Arteta anyone? negative funds sell to buy until Kenwrights magician mate pull another rabbit out? £5m max borrowed of a pal?

Aston Villa - Loadsandloadsa......well might have but big name links died as Liverpool failed to find £17m for Barry. Short bid for Bentley pitiful one for Freidel

seem to have about £10m cash spare without sales

ROVERS - £10 m + maybe £3m but all CASH! Strong position in todays market in my opinion.

Man Citeh - Zilch - but willing to borrow big if (a big if guys) they can. Go there and they'll put your kids in hock. Did £25 million Citeh quids only equate to

£16m AC quids or wot?

Begs the question what a Manc quid actually does equate to!

Portsmouth - New cars/old cars 'arry will keep the liquidity situation moving at Pompey plus probably has cash. £25 million spends this year?

West Ham - Skint selling no cash. Might scrape £10m through more debts

Tottenham - Probably pulling enough from WHL to generate £15m cash (couldn't make the £17m for Bentley though apparently) and whatever Berbatov brings in - £25m on rubbish! (Still laughing at Levy being called a tough negotiator)

Wigan - A benevolent £5m maybe?

Middlesborough - £10m cash from Steve is usual

Fulham - Cash gone already on 2 second division players - oh dear! £0

Bolton - Whats going on here? - spending Anelka money and some. Doubt if much is left £0

Sunderland Unknown - £15m maybe but as they are dependent on Irish capital and thats in building portfolios who knows. It's worthless if no one will go there though

Newcastle - Up for sale - again who knows in Barcode wonderland.

Promoted clubs - currently using SKY cash. £18m between the 3 of them.

With the Crunch going to get worse holding onto REAL cash might just be the most prudent thing to do as 'big' clubs struggling to find or release liquidity through staged payments or debts. Rovers are in a very strong market position right now.

What about starting another thread? over 6000 posts on this one

I'm curious Nicko, the likes of Castillo for example or some of these other targets you mentioned, is there a good chance they are targets that Hughes had in mind and we are simply looking at the list he left?

thats what i was wondering Rib. There were Bradley rumours and that turkish lad and they were both Hughes targets. I did have a snigger at the Kazim-Richards rumour to City, please tell me theres truth in that one Nicko LOL

Nicko: Get another million out of Villa for Brad and then that covers the stubbon spurs difference. I assume the opposition is because they wil not pay the ful value for Bentley and we have told them to come back when they can, but in the meantime we'll have robbo.

I'm in no doubt that Villa are willing to play on the reputed gentlemens agreements conducted between Williams and Freidel. Am I alone in imagining something along the lines of the following conversation"Use you relationship with Williams to get YOURSELF out of Ewood cheap Brad and if you do that you can have your 50k pw...... you'll do yourself a big big favour and you wont blow of wage structure in the process...... The more you save us big fella the more you can have."

Lovely eh?

I weonder how much Villa want Friedel. After watching the highlights of last nights poor (albeit pre-season) defeat to Lincoln, it looks like they desperately need him as Stuart Taylor looked championship at best. I feel with the ball very much firmly in our court, that we should raise the brad price to something nearing four million and seeing how far we can go with it. MON may just be starting to worry about striking a deal before saturday midnight and an extra million or so is well within his resources.

If we can raise four million, although Robinson isn't the best keeper in the world at present, that should near enough pay for him with another tough haggling session and in that case we will have swapped a 37 yr old with an England 28/9 (?) yr old.

If these were the terms for both deals, i'm hoping that most of the fans would realise a very astute piece of business has been played on our behalf.

"ROVERS - £10 m + maybe £3m but all CASH! Strong position in todays market in my opinion."

Thought Blackburn had 18 mill £, The 10 million Hughes was promised + 5 million compensation for Hughes, and the 3 mill addon by thrustee ??

Nicko, given that the Spuds are notoriously awkward to deal with what are the chances of the Robbo and Bentley deal being wrapped up by Friday in order for the Villa deal for Brad to be finalised then?

Ince was very negative about Robinson wasn't he?

RE: NODROG

Ince was very dismissive of Robinson after the Macclesfield game but tbh, is that not just good business sense? I.e. If he says hes not interested at all, then surely this would drive down his purchase price later on in the saga (if this whole merry-go-round actually gets sorted out!!)

Archived