BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nickos (newer) Thread

RE: NODROG

Ince was very dismissive of Robinson after the Macclesfield game but tbh, is that not just good business sense? I.e. If he says hes not interested at all, then surely this would drive down his purchase price later on in the saga (if this whole merry-go-round actually gets sorted out!!)

Or, it could imply that Ince has noticed that Robinson has the poorest positional sense of any professional goalkeeper he's ever seen, is very low on confidence, and his ability has never even come close to the potential that someboby somewhere once saw. He's awful - It's not a lull, it's a return to form. If we bring Robinson in i'd be incredibly disappointed.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or, it could imply that Ince has noticed that Robinson has the poorest positional sense of any professional goalkeeper he's ever seen, is very low on confidence, and his ability has never even come close to the potential that someboby somewhere once saw. He's awful - It's not a lull, it's a return to form. If we bring Robinson in i'd be incredibly disappointed.

I agree with HRH

And signing him for £6 million??? complete rip off it that happens.

We have a small budget as it is, so having to dip for example £4 million into it to buy a new goalkeeper, when its clear we have other positions that need major strengthening as well is far from ideal.

INCOMING - I don't understand the depression on this. There are some good players being watched and a lot of solid homework being put in. Too early to panic. Castillo is complicated, but there is a will to do it by the manager. Like all deals - money talks. Would you wan the club just to plunge in without watching the players they are after even more closely. You don't have THAT much money to toss around.

Exactly. Ciccio Grabbi anyone?????

I'd rather we put all our work INTO the process of buying someone rather than taking a desparate plunge now and hoping it works out, just to appease certain sections of the support.

RE: HRH

Although I understand you obviously don't like Robinson at all, I was just referring to what Nicko said about Robinson being his first choice replacement. On that basis, aren't Ince's comments going to lessen his valuation?

Although I don't take Nicko's words as gospel, he seems very well informed on the Friedel saga and I would be surprised if we weren't looking for a new keeper come the end of the week.

The Credit crunch seems to have come to football with lots of moves depending on someone injecting a little liquidity.......

......With the Crunch going to get worse holding onto REAL cash might just be the most prudent thing to do as 'big' clubs struggling to find or release liquidity through staged payments or debts. Rovers are in a very strong market position right now.

Prof, that's a great post and I agree with much of what you say, I just wish you hadn't put it in this thread. Too many good posts get swallowed up in all the crap that gets written on this thread - maybe it's worth starting a new topic?

reason for posting quotes is that at busy times you can find that you are posting nonsense if you don't as 10 other posts may have got between you and the original you're replying to. You can cut them down though so you only quote the actual bit you need.

The Credit crunch seems to have come to football with lots of moves depending on someone injecting a little liquidity. The AC Milan move of Ronldinho made me think that the sums clubs say they have to spend might not be real cash. I wonder if this would be a fair analysis:

Man Utd - Some liquidity but all borrowed - seem to have underbid a little for Berbatov - Awaiting King Juans cash to go to RM for Ronaldo? £25m to

spend?

Arsenal - Should have cash but slow to be linked - awaiting possible income from Adebayor? Cash borrowed against Erimates huge revenue £20m+

Chelsea - can spend forever (£16 m 4 year contract for Wayne Bridge for heavens sake!) In a league of their own but cash going abroad (and IKEA/Selfridges or Sandbanks pad keeping Ms Bridge happy) £infinity I'm afraid.

Liverpool - can't afford anyone big without selling -fairly skint, looking for any capital they can get, limit borrowed? £0

Everton - dreadfully skint - re-mortgaging re-mortgages. Arteta anyone? negative funds sell to buy until Kenwrights magician mate pull another rabbit out? £5m max borrowed of a pal?

Aston Villa - Loadsandloadsa......well might have but big name links died as Liverpool failed to find £17m for Barry. Short bid for Bentley pitiful one for Freidel

seem to have about £10m cash spare without sales

ROVERS - £10 m + maybe £3m but all CASH! Strong position in todays market in my opinion.

Man Citeh - Zilch - but willing to borrow big if (a big if guys) they can. Go there and they'll put your kids in hock. Did £25 million Citeh quids only equate to

£16m AC quids or wot?

Begs the question what a Manc quid actually does equate to!

Portsmouth - New cars/old cars 'arry will keep the liquidity situation moving at Pompey plus probably has cash. £25 million spends this year?

West Ham - Skint selling no cash. Might scrape £10m through more debts

Tottenham - Probably pulling enough from WHL to generate £15m cash (couldn't make the £17m for Bentley though apparently) and whatever Berbatov brings in - £25m on rubbish! (Still laughing at Levy being called a tough negotiator)

Wigan - A benevolent £5m maybe?

Middlesborough - £10m cash from Steve is usual

Fulham - Cash gone already on 2 second division players - oh dear! £0

Bolton - Whats going on here? - spending Anelka money and some. Doubt if much is left £0

Sunderland Unknown - £15m maybe but as they are dependent on Irish capital and thats in building portfolios who knows. It's worthless if no one will go there though

Newcastle - Up for sale - again who knows in Barcode wonderland.

Promoted clubs - currently using SKY cash. £18m between the 3 of them.

With the Crunch going to get worse holding onto REAL cash might just be the most prudent thing to do as 'big' clubs struggling to find or release liquidity through staged payments or debts. Rovers are in a very strong market position right now.

Can we look forward to that appearing ad verbatum in the People this weekend Alan? I might even buy a copy myself.

I agree with HRH

And signing him for £6 million??? complete rip off it that happens.

We have a small budget as it is, so having to dip for example £4 million into it to buy a new goalkeeper, when its clear we have other positions that need major strengthening as well is far from ideal.

Correct. If he was worth 6m why would Spurs replace him? They need that money for outfield players.

No.

Chicken.

Nicko, I dont think anyone's asked you this yet, but do you know what Tugay's position is in the new management setup? or is he still a player? or what? lol All seems rather confusing considering there hasn't been a statement on the matter yet.

Nicko, I dont think anyone's asked you this yet, but do you know what Tugay's position is in the new management setup? or is he still a player? or what? lol All seems rather confusing considering there hasn't been a statement on the matter yet.

I don't think that has been established yet...and with Rovers after a couple of midfielders [maybe three] then it would suggest he may struggle for games next season.

Thats a very good and salient point mate. It would be nice for the club to let su know, could be some positive PR from Rovers for once!

I don't think that has been established yet...and with Rovers after a couple of midfielders [maybe three] then it would suggest he may struggle for games next season.

I think, to be fair to Tugay, that he was aware of that when he signed back on last season. Thats' in part where the coaching deal came in, so that he could still "earn" his wages

unfortunatly, with him only signing a 12 month deal, I cannot see Tugay at Rovers next season unless he goes down a storm as a coach and Ince wants to retain him in that capacity.

I was just wondering cause that one year extension did get signed, if I am correct? If thats the case, technically Ince can relieve him of his coaching duties and use him sparingly as a sub every now and then. However, I don't think he'd be very happy with that situation.

I think Ince could potentially win over a few fans here by suggesting he still has a role to play at the club. Surely that would be a win-win situation for Ince as I would imagine Tugs could easily make a seven player subs bench.

Although I understand you obviously don't like Robinson at all, I was just referring to what Nicko said about Robinson being his first choice replacement. On that basis, aren't Ince's comments going to lessen his valuation?

Although I don't take Nicko's words as gospel, he seems very well informed on the Friedel saga and I would be surprised if we weren't looking for a new keeper come the end of the week.

Firstly, you underestimate my opinion on Robinson - It's not that i don't like him, i honestly don't know how he still has a contract - I'd have released him ages ago. ;)

Main point - No, i don't think it would lessen his valuation. If we sell Brad, we still need a keeper, and other clubs, including Spurs will know that. All it will do is reduce Robinson's desire to come here, something that really doesn't bother me.

The valuation of a player depends on how much he is wanted at his current club, and how much buying clubs are willing to pay. However, it's a captive market - It's not like me argueing with a market trader that "Well, i don't actually need it, but if you give me 50% off i'll take it off your hands". Robinson will still have a value to Spurs, and one club out there will be under the impression that he could do a job for them. However, IF (big if) we actually are interested, then Spurs will be aware of this. The only people that would benefit from a possible drop in value would be A.N.Other FC who are also considering him as an option.

RE: HRH

lol Nice one! ^_^

Coming back to your main point, doesn't the sale of Brad depend on when and if we get a new keeper. According to Nicko, Brad won't be sold without a replacement already signed up. If that is to be believed, technically, we don't need a new keeper and are therefore still in a strong negotiating position.

The Friedel-Robinson thing is interesting.

If Rovers could simply go on to Tottenham and offer them cash for an unwanted reserve it would be simple enough...you would probably get him very cheap. They don't want him, they have tried to sell him elsewhere. He is on big wages and they are trying to sign another cover keeper. Should be easy to do.

But Spurs want Bentley and think they can haggle. Understandable.

So...do you sell Friedel when Villa hit the £2.5 million mark [or so] in the next 48 hours -which is a big price for an 37-year-old keeper - and then wait until Robinson's price settles? How long is that wait? Does it go into the season?

Those are the real dimensions right now...so it's down to the negotiators to sort it out.

The fact there is a Villa deadline of sorts actually helps. Or should. But Tottenham are involved, so...

From Spuds point of view, wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of an unwanted player on big wages seperately without including Bentley? After all, if a smaller fee is negotiated for Robinson, when Spuds come calling for Bentley (when they get the cash!) would they not simply offer a little less. I.e. I scratch your back, you scratch mine, gentlemens agreement and all that? :D

Also, another interesting question would be who would Villa go for if they failed to get Brad?

from nufc.com

Writing in Wednesday's Mirror, the usually-reliable Alan Nixon asserted that Newcastle had beaten off a number of other clubs to secure the transfer of Pablo Aimar (pictured) from Spanish side Real Zaragoza.

Time to sue? ;)

From Spuds point of view, wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of an unwanted player on big wages seperately without including Bentley? After all, if a smaller fee is negotiated for Robinson, when Spuds come calling for Bentley (when they get the cash!) would they not simply offer a little less. I.e. I scratch your back, you scratch mine, gentlemens agreement and all that? :D

Also, another interesting question would be who would Villa go for if they failed to get Brad?

The only losers here are Arsenal with regards to the sell on clause. Makes sense to me.

So...do you sell Friedel when Villa hit the £2.5 million mark [or so] in the next 48 hours -which is a big price for an 37-year-old keeper - and then wait until Robinson's price settles? How long is that wait? Does it go into the season?
See that there is a key point, and a reason why i don't see Brad going to Villa - Certainly not before Friday.

If we let him go, then Robinson (The thought makes me shiver) isn't just an unwanted reserve - He's a position we need to fill, and they will simply push the price up.

However good your links / advice is on this one, i just get the feeling that circumstances won't allow it to happen (thank god)

I'm trying to understand how this is going to pan out.

Villa want Brad by Friday night - fair enough. How does that prompt Spurs in to moving on the Robinson price? Surely they don't care about Villa's needs?

I guess we're saying that before Friday Villa may go to a price that Rovers cannot refuse, tempting us to risk selling Brad before he's been replaced. You'd think, then, that whatever extra we get from Villa will likely be eaten up in other teams increasing GK asking prices.

I'd like to think we're in a strong position here, but I'm not sure we are.

Agreed HRH, I doubt very much Brad will be sold without a replacement already signed up. After all, Ince doesn't really want to lose him although he would consider it if a younger keeper with premiership quality is signed beforehand.

Therefore, would Villa still be after Brad if he isn't sold by late Friday for their Intertoto games? Also, who else would they consider if he didn't make the switch?

But Spurs want Bentley and think they can haggle. Understandable.

Do they not understand our £17m or forget it price tag?

We should not include Bentley as part of the negotiations and let them come to us, if and when they get the cash to buy him. If they want to keep Robinson and potentially lose more on him in future years then more fool them.

I'm trying to understand how this is going to pan out.

Villa want Brad by Friday night - fair enough. How does that prompt Spurs in to moving on the Robinson price? Surely they don't care about Villa's needs?

I guess we're saying that before Friday Villa may go to a price that Rovers cannot refuse, tempting us to risk selling Brad before he's been replaced. You'd think, then, that whatever extra we get from Villa will likely be eaten up in other teams increasing GK asking prices.

I'd like to think we're in a strong position here, but I'm not sure we are.

I reckon that Ince's remarks about Robinson mean we'll look elsewhere if Brad does go (or more to the point are looking elsewhere in case he goes). Maybe promote Brown to no 1 and look for a reserve.

Archived