BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nickos (newer) Thread

With everyone singing John Williams praises, is it possible he's talked himself into job offers from other sources?

Laudrup quoting "In 20 years of working in football I have not come across a chairman as impressive as John Williams".

Possibly, i am sure he has had many offers. Isn't he the chair of the chairman association? (or something along them lines)

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hawkizz - Rumour has it it, that the decision to not buy Zindane was more about loyality to the players that won the title. Its an obvious shame - as we would probably still be a top 4 club now.

In my eyes Jack will always be the dream maker - but it does show what can happen when a rich owner interferes with his managers choices (though as it was his money - it was very much his choice). If to be believed - I also recollect that this decision had a bearing on Dalglish stepping down.

Losing out on Zindane is similar to us losing out on Ronaldo (after Shearer left we apparently bid for him - but an agreement for him to join Barca had already been agreed) - what could have been :rock:

my god. zidane and ronaldo...

instead we had pires and davies? :blink:

Nicko, just out of interest what time do you have to submit your articles? Has there ever been a case where you've submitted something and its changed radically over night so the article published is completely wrong?

Just wondering as I'm guessing players change their mind about transfers and stuff at the last minute quite a bit.

Nicko, just out of interest what time do you have to submit your articles? Has there ever been a case where you've submitted something and its changed radically over night so the article published is completely wrong?

Just wondering as I'm guessing players change their mind about transfers and stuff at the last minute quite a bit.

Yes, that happens.

You can have the right picture late at night - and then someone changes their mind in the morning.

For those with long memories I had a great exclusive when I was a kid that Jim McLean would be the next Rangers manager. He liked me - at the time - and told me he was taking it.

Next morning, he wakes up and thinks 'I can't do this' and stayed. To be fair, he called me - actually apologised which was a one-off - and said he was saying no.

Meanwhile I look a right plum. But it happens.

You could say the same with Harry Redknapp going to Newcastle - which was right until he slept on it - and Harry Redknapp going back to Portsmouth before that - when Neil Warnock was told he was getting it the day before.

There's something about Harry... ;)

Great news, maybe informed by the board that he was not a running candidate.

I have one problem with ML, he seems to be thinking whether we are good enough for him. Fair enough he was a top class player, but he has achieved very little in his managerial career. He should be jumping for this job, just like ince is.

Great news, maybe informed by the board that he was not a running candidate.

I have one problem with ML, he seems to be thinking whether we are good enough for him. Fair enough he was a top class player, but he has achieved very little in his managerial career. He should be jumping for this job, just like ince is.

Have you read the Telegraph article in the links section yet?

That is a Laudrup push for the job.

Maybe we want to stick with a British manager, though nationality for me is pretty low on the scale when it comes to the selection process.

Perhaps Laudrup has had a think about it and decided he really wants the job, that's why his agent came out with the comments yesterday.

I don't know the inner workings or the behind the scenes details, but if you are looking at it from a fans view, or any outsider Laudrup on paper is a far better candidate. He would certainly be my choice between the two.

By the way, I believe there is a great irony in the Laudrup thing.

Someone sent me a PM at the time about how he came into the frame.

If they want to share it would raise a giggle...

:lol: If it's the same story I think it is, it might dent some peoples confidence in JW.

Don't get me wrong I have every respect for JW and his achievements for our club to date, but if he doesn't pick Laudrup in my eyes he's making the wrong decision without question.

:lol: If it's the same story I think it is, it might dent some peoples confidence in JW.

Don't get me wrong I have every respect for JW and his achievements for our club to date, but if he doesn't pick Laudrup in my eyes he's making the wrong decision without question.

Come on spill the chicken & beans!

How can you say that?

I am sorry, how did the interview with yourself, ML and Ince go? Oh, havn't interviwed then have you not? So how do you know which is the best candidate.

JW will appoint the right person.

I reckon that JW let slip that he thought Laudrup was just a poor man's Bohinen.... ^_^

What a morale boost for Ince, though, still appears to be the leading candidate despite Laudrup's experience and stature in the game.

I spoke to a Man Utd friend and mentioned the two horse race and he asked who I preferred.

I said I slightly preferred Laudrup.

He said that Laudrup will naff off to a Spanish club at the first opportunity.

Which is my reservation. I think Ince would stay longer and is more than likely to stay in England (as his stock is not high elsewhere) so his list of suitors would be fall smaller. It took Hughes 4 years to leave, and he did remarkably well here, but no foreign clubs were interested.

Laudrup could have any club in Europe take a fancy to him.

I don't know what to think

How can you say that?

I am sorry, how did the interview with yourself, ML and Ince go? Oh, havn't interviwed then have you not? So how do you know which is the best candidate.

JW will appoint the right person.

JW is not some sort of god like figure, it's acceptable to disagree with him you know.

Unless ML's interview was truly awful (but then this agent statement shows he must seem to really want the job), then his achievements and CV to date must also be taken into account. And Laudrup's is so much more superior it's not even funny.

Would you still say he was appointing the right person if he appointed Mclaren?

Archived