BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nickos (newer) Thread

I spoke to a Man Utd friend and mentioned the two horse race and he asked who I preferred.

I said I slightly preferred Laudrup.

He said that Laudrup will naff off to a Spanish club at the first opportunity.

Which is my reservation. I think Ince would stay longer and is more than likely to stay in England (as his stock is not high elsewhere) so his list of suitors would be fall smaller. It took Hughes 4 years to leave, and he did remarkably well here, but no foreign clubs were interested.

Laudrup could have any club in Europe take a fancy to him.

I don't know what to think

So you're suggesting we appoint an inferior candidate simply because we can be more confident fewer clubs will want him? Surely that suggests a shocking lack of ambition.

If Laudrup does have big clubs after him it's a sure sign he's done a great job for us.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you're suggesting we appoint an inferior candidate simply because we can be more confident fewer clubs will want him? Surely that suggests a shocking lack of ambition.

If Laudrup does have big clubs after him it's a sure sign he's done a great job for us.

can't appoint Mcclaren. He's gone to Twente

I spoke to a Man Utd friend and mentioned the two horse race and he asked who I preferred.

Which is my reservation. I think Ince would stay longer and is more than likely to stay in England (as his stock is not high elsewhere).

Got to be Laudrup. As you said the choice is between someone who is coveted all over Europe and someone who doesn't really rate and isn't qualified ('stock not high elsewhere') even in this country.

If the situation was likened to buying players it could be a choice between Ronaldo or someone from Stanley. ......and then choosing the Accrington player because at least no one else thinks he's any good.

It would explain the rabid article from Mr. Lewis in The Mirror, (if the Ince campaign now know the opposition and can see the obvious outcome).

The usual stuff about supporting no matter who gets the job, but if it's Ince I'll feel disappointed and that The Club have missed out somewhat. I did have the same feeling before the possibility of Laudrup to be honest.

Although I can not see it happen, I would not mind seeing Laudrup as manager and Ince involved - possible no 2 to allow the latter to get his qualifications - allowing Laudrup to leave, if he wishes, when he wants once Ince is qualified.

How can you dream stuff like that up pafell? The idea is absolutely ludicrous.

Its simply a question of IF JW can make certain that Laudrup wont jump to Spain any chance he gets, other than if its Barcelona or Real Madrid...

Lets be honest, this summer Valencia, Sevilla, and Depor all could have appointed him BUT DIDNT.

So maybe he has a couple of more ladders to climb before such teams will look at him.

Although I can not see it happen, I would not mind seeing Laudrup as manager and Ince involved - possible no 2 to allow the latter to get his qualifications - allowing Laudrup to leave, if he wishes, when he wants once Ince is qualified.

are you being serious?

do you honestly think Ince would be a number 2 to anyone? especially someone with a similar level of managerial years as him.

ridiculous suggestion

Don't you think that Allerdyce and McClaren "withdrawing" is confirmation that Rovers have definately taken the decision on either Ince (most likely) or Laudrup ?

I would expect Rovers to have told both of them they were out of the running, giving them the opportunity to save face and "withdraw", rather than appear to have failed with their applications when the announcement is made.

are you being serious?

do you honestly think Ince would be a number 2 to anyone? especially someone with a similar level of managerial years as him.

ridiculous suggestion

Even if Ince wanted to be number 2 (makes me giggle as it makes me think of a scene in Austin Powers - "Who does number 2 work for...") he couldn't be, as Laudrup wouldt leave his number 2 - John Faxe Jensen (former Arsenal player) - behind behind. They apparently dont go anywhere without eachother....

I am torn. The fact that Laudrup is my all time fave player alongside Maradona (even above Zidane) makes me want to have him as Rovers manager, but he would go to spain at any given chance and he has a really bad history of buying players. Quite opposite what Sparky had!

Ince however I always hated and those remarks while at Inter.... grrrr

Henk ten Cate would have been the guy for me. Now I dont know.

Which is my reservation. I think Ince would stay longer and is more than likely to stay in England (as his stock is not high elsewhere) so his list of suitors would be fall smaller. It took Hughes 4 years to leave, and he did remarkably well here, but no foreign clubs were interested.

Keep things black and whire Bucky (no slight intended btw :rolleyes: ) To get somebody that everybody else covets is fantastic business. As compared to some chappy proven in the 4th Div.

btw Re: ur manc mate just ask him why if that is an issue that MU signed Ronaldo? :lol:

Best option by far for wally. He needs to manage away from this country if he is to resurrect his career.
I agree completely, and i actually think he'll do well - He's not an awful coach, but i think would have crumbled under the pressure of trying to resurrect himself in this league.

Thank God Bucky is not a decision maker eh? Just imagine if Hughes had thought that with his player moves..... we'd not have Benny and RSC but would still be watching Stead and Kuqi plodding around up front ..... in some lower div.

A blind man could see it would be Ince until yesterday and then possibly but unlikely Laudrup...Maybe the board did give them the courtesy call as its not beyond our well-mannered JW to do so...

Neither Allardyce nor McClaren got the call.

I believe Big Sam realised he wasn't popular among the fans and this had hurt his chances - he wouldn't want to miss out to Ince.

I know McClaren is fuming to be overlooked about being behind Ince [possible even Laudrup] in the race because of his lack of coaching badges.

Nicko any updates for us and is the guy who wrote the Telegraph article usually someone who gets things right?

The Telegraph article is following up what was said yesterday about the Laudrup interview and taking it further by speaking to his agent.

The Turkish chap blanked my calls when I tried at the start of the week as you may recall.

The quotes have a double edge. Say nice things about Rovers - probably true. But also let the world know that Laudrup is still available after a couple of botched negotiations.

Ask one question - who leaked that Laudrup met Rovers? Clue - it wasn't Rovers. Laudrup's camp want it out there after meeting John Williams and then being overlooked for a couple of days.

I would still say it is Ince...subject to 'approval.'

I would still say it is Ince...subject to 'approval.'

Just to frustrate the life out of you...

I hear some of the Premier League chairmen are on holiday and out of reach. Therefore the 'soundings' process may drag...that would explain the delay.

Rovers won't do this until they know there will be NO protest.

Incidentally Ricky, a huge thanks to you and all the mods. I thought you handled yesterday very well and you all usually get the judgement calls spot on.

i agree. i'm new around here, but must say; the mods deserve huge credit, not just for yesterday, but for the effort and time they put in on a daily basis.

brilliant to have Nicko back, too.

And very nice of Fat Sam to withdraw from the race... he really has shown himself to be a man of great integrity! <_<

So thats most likely the reason for the delay and not having a re-think about El Dane?

Keep the faith in John Williams I guess...And its a privelege to be a Rovers fan when the agent of someone like Laudrup gives us (Rovers and JW) compliments the way he has...

If it is Laudrup then conspiracy theory number 1..... Here goes.....

Everybody and their mother knew Grant was leaving Chelsea whether successful or not.

Hughes must have been sounded out by Kenyon well before the end of the season..... and must have been led to believe that he spoke for Abromovich..... later proved not to be so. ^_^

Williams has already hinted that he suspected 6 months ago Hughes would be away..... maybe they even talked about the situation and thats why we were so quick to offer him the chance to 'talk' to the Manc stalking horse. Also why there was NO WAY back for Sparky to Ewood.

Given that scenarion then Williams would have been foolish to stand and wait. Soooo just maybe Laudrup was approached unofficially by BRFC well before the end of the season and as soon as he was targetted by us thus giving him the chance to resign (mysteriously) from Getafe knowing that he had a more lucrative job lined up. Would have saved compensation which could have been split / used as his 're-location' fee.

Laudrup has stayed on the fringe but in the background therby allowing us to 'go through the managerial selection motions' in order not to raise poaching charges from Spain. And now is the time to come to the fore.

Now anybody agree? Or should I be really writing cloak and dagger fiction novels? :huh::rover:

I would love to tell you how Laudrup came up...I can't because it came from a PM and I always treat them in confidence.

Would that poster drop a hint.

It is quite an amusing little tale...and no conspiracy theory.

If it is Laudrup then conspiracy theory number 1..... Here goes.....

Everybody and their mother knew Grant was leaving Chelsea whether successful or not.

Hughes must have been sounded out by Kenyon well before the end of the season..... and must have been led to believe that he spoke for Abromovich..... later proved not to be so. ^_^

Williams has already hinted that he suspected 6 months ago Hughes would be away..... maybe they even talked about the situation and thats why we were so quick to offer him the chance to 'talk' to the Manc stalking horse. Also why there was NO WAY back for Sparky to Ewood.

Given that scenarion maybe Laudrup was approached unofficially by BRFC well before the end of the season and as soon as he was targetted by us thus giving him the chance to resign from Getafe knowing that he had a job lined up. Would have saved compensation which could have been used as a signing on fee.

Laudrup has stayed on the fringe but in the background therby allowing us to 'go through the managerial selection motions' in order not to raise poaching charges from Spain. And now is the time to come to the fore.

Now anybody agree? Or should I be really writing cloak and dagger fiction novels? :huh::rover:

To much time on you're hands im thinking. :lol:

Archived