BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Don't Sell Friedel!

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bottom line - if Friedel leaves then Ince and JW will have no excuses.

As I keep saying (and Nicko appears to have come round to this point of view in the People) - if Friedel leaves it's because Friedel wants to leave.

I'm not saying we should up every player, but Friedel isn't just every player. This is a crucial season for us and it's absolutely vital that we have Brad on board. The article implies it's an offer we can match, and I'd much rather we spent that portion of the wage bill on hanging onto one of our best players than signing some past it striker, even if he does pass the fitness tests.

It would be crazy to smash the wage structure at Ewood Park for a 37 year old. He's already one of the best paid players at the club. If it comes to the crunch, it's no time for sentimentality, it's time for common sense.

As I keep saying (and Nicko appears to have come round to this point of view in the People) - if Friedel leaves it's because Friedel wants to leave.

It would be crazy to smash the wage structure at Ewood Park for a 37 year old. He's already one of the best paid players at the club. If it comes to the crunch, it's no time for sentimentality, it's time for common sense.

Such as spending that money on paying Robbie Fowler wages instead?

Couldn't agree more. At least half a dozen players would immediately be in the managers office demanding their place in the salary pecking order be restored.

I feel sorry for Ince in this situation. Let Brad go and most of the fans think he's forced him out, plus he has to fork out a bigger fee for someone else. Hold Brad to his current 'contract' and the rest of the squad see him deny an old stager the chance of a last big payday. Match Villa's alleged terms and creat wage hyper-inflation at Ewood.

Welcome aboard.

Such as spending that money on paying Robbie Fowler wages instead?

But he hasn't even been offered a deal! If eventually he is, who's to say it won't be on a pay-as-you-play, at a fraction of the cost of doubling Brad's wages?

The club doesn't do sentimental - don't forget Tugay has taken a massive wage cut and pay-as-you-play to stay at Rovers.

Ince is desperate to keep Brad? Do me a favour. Ince comes in, and suddenly other clubs are alerted to the availability of a player that hasn't even come close to leaving in 7/8 years. Thats a coincidence? Of course it bloody isn't.

Tris - I thought Brad as only interested in going to City for the Hughes connection? So why is he talking to Villa?

Something stinks. I can't believe we're willing to pin this on Brad. Absolute madness.

Bottom line - if Friedel leaves then Ince and JW will have no excuses.

Don't agree TGM, only they know what is going on, Brad is a legend, but there may be other factors in play here, his agent, his family, his finances, his ego, his age, the competition he may be under, his form on the last game of the season, his confidence, his form at training? Who knows?

Let it pan out.

You don't even have to have met him to know. 8 years of loyal service says it all.

If the club wanted to keep him, he would be staying. You can back the manager as much as you like - he's wrong on this one. Very wrong.

Don't agree TGM, only they know what is going on, Brad is a legend, but there may be other factors in play here, his agent, his family, his finances, his ego, his age, the competition he may be under, his form on the last game of the season, his confidence, his form at training? Who knows?

Let it pan out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/7228204.stm

"I am delighted to have extended the agreement," said the American.

"It was not a difficult decision to make. Blackburn Rovers is home to me. This is my club and I have a special affinity with it."

5 months ago.

Ince is desperate to keep Brad? Do me a favour. Ince comes in, and suddenly other clubs are alerted to the availability of a player that hasn't even come close to leaving in 7/8 years. Thats a coincidence? Of course it bloody isn't.

Tris - I thought Brad as only interested in going to City for the Hughes connection? So why is he talking to Villa?

Something stinks. I can't believe we're willing to pin this on Brad. Absolute madness.

IS he talking to Villa?? How do you know?

If Martin O'Neill is getting a message through to him about doubling his wages, it's because O'Neill is managing to conduct his business through the newspapers. One newspaper in particular.

The club doesn't do sentimental

Dont you think the club should do in this case Tris....no shame in rewarding loyalty is there.Is that not what we want Tris,loyal service to the blue'n' white cause.

Probably the best keeper in Rovers history, given and continues to give magnificent service to the club and a fans favourite......He deseves nothing more than a testimonial infront of a full house at Ewood.

IS he talking to Villa?? How do you know?

If Martin O'Neill is getting a message through to him about doubling his wages, it's because O'Neill is managing to conduct his business through the newspapers. One newspaper in particular.

You don't know he isn't any more than I know he is. We're both interpreting reports as we see fit.

Do you still maintain he'll only go to City?

Dont you think the club should do in this case Tris....no shame in rewarding loyalty is there.Is that not what we want Tris,loyal service to the blue'n' white cause.

Probably the best keeper in Rovers history, given and continues to give magnificent service to the club and a fans favourite......He deseves nothing more than a testimonial infront of a full house at Ewood.

Loyalty's a two way thing though isn't it SG? Souness picked Brad up off the Liverpool bench, fought quite a battle to get the civil servants to allow the deal to go through (at least one appeal hearing iirc) and the player hasn't looked back. He's now one of the best paid players at Ewood Park.

Surely he wouldn't expect Rovers to pay silly money to him just to get another 12-24 months service? Surely he'd repay the loyalty Rovers have shown to him and just stay anyway??

The club doesn't do sentimental

Sentimentality has nothing to do with this - he's one of the best keepers in the league.

No one seems to be able to answer the question of why now? Ince coming in and Brad leaving a couple of weeks later is pure coincidence? These things don't just happen. Something has alerted clubs that Rovers would be willing to deal. If Brad was money motivated his agent would have had him out of the door several years ago when he was THE best keeper in the league.

It doesn't add up.

Surely he wouldn't expect Rovers to pay silly money to him just to get another 12-24 months service? Surely he'd repay the loyalty Rovers have shown to him and just stay anyway??

No, he wouldn't. He signed an extension to 2010 in February, see link at the top of the page. Rovers didn't have to do anything at all.

In 2010.

Sentimentality has nothing to do with this - he's one of the best keepers in the league.

No one seems to be able to answer the question of why now? Ince coming in and Brad leaving a couple of weeks later is pure coincidence? These things don't just happen. Something has alerted clubs that Rovers would be willing to deal. If Brad was money motivated his agent would have had him out of the door several years ago when he was THE best keeper in the league.

It doesn't add up.

And Man U were after him.

That may be the case Tris but I'd argue the majority of Rovers fans think he's well worth the extra money.Like I say he continues to be one of the best stoppers in the top flight..there is no logic in selling him or need to sell for money.We moan and groan and wave our fists when players have used the club to go on to 'better things' :rolleyes: in the past....this man has stayed loyal to us.

Like Gav says lets match the Villa offer and put to bed this ridiculous episode once and for all as its doing nobody any good the longer it drags on.

Rovers need to act fast as this has the potential to split the club and its supporters right down the ruddy middle....we dont need this!

You don't even have to have met him to know. 8 years of loyal service says it all.

If the club wanted to keep him, he would be staying. You can back the manager as much as you like - he's wrong on this one. Very wrong.

If he does leave then something is seriously wrong at the club. Sparky and the rest of the staff loved him to bits, and often, Mark would ask him for his opinion on certain things.

Having met Brad a couple of times and spoken to him, I just cannot believe the story as it is being portrayed. It is actually getting me really angry.

Considering the number of games that he's saved points for us I think it would be more than foolish not to match whatever deal is put on the table to get him to stay.

And if Sepp thinks this is slavery then he's a bigger idiot than I thought he was.

That was me that started that. Was informed that he wanted to follow Hitchcock, Hughes et al to City. Whether AV were alerted by his agent or BRFC themselves to 'up the ante' on his transfer value who knows?

I'm prob making 2+2 = not 5 but 7 here but my intuition suspects that Freidel and Ince may have 'baggage' carrying over from their Lpool days.

No doubt somebody will tell me I'm wrong but little else makes sense.

You don't know he isn't any more than I know he is. We're both interpreting reports as we see fit.

I actually believe he wouldn't chase the $$$ to Birmingham - I think he's better than that.

It comes down to Friedel making the call - loyalty to Blackburn Rovers, loyalty to his former coaching team of Hughes and Hitchcock, or chase the $$$.

His shout - nobody elses.

Archived