BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Don't Sell Friedel!

I am compelled to break my self-imposed silence in these exigent times to offer words of wisdom.

Imo, Rovers should only accept Robinson as part of the Bentley deal as a second choice. My first choice, should Friedel leave, is for Rovers to sign the Bolton keeper Ali Al-Habsi who should cost less than Robinson as he is has only year left on his contract. Imo, he is a hugely talented goalie who is ready for the No. 1 jersey at a Premier League club.

As for Robinson, he was an exceptional keeper at Leeds and was good at the start of his Spurs career. However, his regression has been dramatic. Yes, you may say it is a case of fallen confidence, however, I worry about what long-term effects Robinson's confidence problems have had. If he is able to regain his former self, he'll be a star for Rovers. But I'm just not convinced he'll ever return to those heights.

It's not as if Robinson hasn't had plenty of opportunities to regain his belief - he's made 137 appearances for Spurs. Last season, he was competing against the less than great Radek Cerny for top spot. I would not underestimate how dodgy Robinson has become - not just for England. If Spurs get £5million for him, it'll be a travesty because his genuine stock has fallen far lower. I can see why Ince wants him but I believe his signing would be riskier than signing someone like Al-Habsi who is actually in form and near the top of his game.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It'll be robinson's first mistake that gets fans on Ince's back even more, despite the fact that brad would probably have made at least one mistake himself. Only by ensuring a top 10 finish can Ince really be popular, judging by the comments of most fans on here.

I just hope that the fans wouldn't get on Robinson's back, all that extra weight won't do him any good. Seriously though if we get him he just needs to have time to settle in and rediscover his form.

For me anything in about the top 13 is fine. Anything lower and we have to be worried. There are a few groups forming in the premiership, we want to remain in our one in the longer term but 1 stabilizing season won't hurt to much.

I just ...............

For me anything in about the top 13 is fine. Anything lower and we have to be worried.

For me, a season without dire team performances OR individuals displaying a lack of passion, would be a result for BRFC and would make my season ticket good value.

Anyone going to Macc Town tonight please give the big man a fantastic reception...could well be one of his last appearances.

:(

Was thinking that, but I doubt he'd play. Can't see Rovers risking him picking up an injury if we're this far on with negotiations with Villa / Spurs.

Hopefully he'll be there in some capacity so we can give him a good cheer!

I'm removing this post as I've just heard from someone who I consider a damn sight more reliable than a tabloid journalist. I shall sit back and wait and see what happens.

Paul

Apologies to T4E if I caused him a problem.

I've been out of touch a few days and logged in for half an hour on Saturday to find the Friedel story. I posted my gut reaction which was if this is an Ince decision he is making a huge mistake, that I'm far from convinced about Ince as a manager and if he sold Friedel he would have everything to prove in my view and be making an enormous mistake. Shortly after I posted a board member, whose judgement and opinion I respect, PMd to give me the full story as it had played out in the press recently. I then removed what I had posted.

The point is this; a tabloid journo gets a few lines in a red top and we all suddenly believe Brad is leaving and it is Ince's fault. Without having followed the story myself, and my views on tabloid journalism are well known, I fell into the trap and jumped to an entirely negative conclusion regarding Ince. I have to confess to a very embarassing moment, yesterday I bought the Sunday People. Now I have to ask myself how successful has this particular rumour been? I was sufficiently worried to go out and buy the newspaper most likley to be carrying more information. The article was the usual junk, based on rumour and counter-rumour. Do any of you seriously believe Martin O'Neil has publically stated how much he is prepared to pay Brad Friedel?

Why can't people realise the purpose behind these stories, which is all they are, is to generate sales of newspapers. The motivation for Alan Nixon to post on this board, providing Rovers fans with "insight" is very unclear but it does seem to be driving traffic to the paper's website and at least one extra purchase this weekend. Hmmmmm.

Next headline "Friedel Leaves, Rovers Fans Demand Ince is Sacked" - now I wonder which messageboard and social networking site that could all be lifted from. Wake up guys, smell the coffee.

As always I'll believe it when the club announce it.

Probably mentioned previously but if Big Brad left for Villa I wonder if he'd get a Lucas-like reception when he came back. Of course Lucas didn't leave us in the mire at short notice but hey, he was an Aussie with a goatie.

Probably mentioned previously but if Big Brad left for Villa I wonder if he'd get a Lucas-like reception when he came back. Of course Lucas didn't leave us in the mire at short notice but hey, he was an Aussie with a goatie.

I think I would still cheer him.

Neill didn't give the club 8 years and in that time be a vital part of the teams successes. Granted he did a good job, but ultimately lied to the fans about his reasons for leaving, stating he wanted to further his career only then turning down liverpool in favour of more cash.

As sad as it will be to see Friedel leave, I believe it could be good business to sell and replace with Robinson. I think it's a wise move to pounce this summer while good young (in keeper terms) keepers are available rather than be stuck in 2 years time when Brad retires.

Robbo is a very good keeper, who has just had a difficult season. He'd be a very good replacement for Brad in the long term and if Ince thinks it is better to do business this summer, that's his call as manager. It could be inspired. Robbo's a top bloke too and would definitely fit in at our club.

Neill didn't give the club 8 years and in that time be a vital part of the teams successes. Granted he did a good job, but ultimately lied to the fans about his reasons for leaving, stating he wanted to further his career only then turning down liverpool in favour of more cash.

Modes, this argument always falls down because Lucas Neill got booed whilst still playing for Rovers long before we knew he was going to West Ham.

If Brad goes it will be another player who leaves in worse circumstances than Neill.

I'm sure that Brad will get a terrific reception when he returns and rightly so. Unfortunately there will be people lauding his return who also booed Neill whilst still wearing Blue and White. That to me doesn't make sense at all.

This is still all a big IF of course !!

Modes, this argument always falls down because Lucas Neill got booed whilst still playing for Rovers long before we knew he was going to West Ham.

I don't disagree but fans are fickle and Brad has given good service on top of being a really nice bloke.

I personally don't boo Lucas, as i thought he was good for us and it's up to him if he wants to mess up his career, same applies for Bentley going to Spuds. Plus i think he plays better when he is booed. Although we tried that trick with our lot against Cov last year and it really didn't work.

quote from today's LET.

'' The Lancashire Lelegraph reprted that Friedel had been offered a bumper pay rise and an extra year on his contract as Ince seeks to stave off interest from Villa and Mark Hughes' Manchester City''

This tells me that Ince never wanted rid of Friedel in the first place and that it was just gossip stemmed from the interest of other clubs, hope that's the case anyway.

Does it seem that with the prospect of Paul Robinson Joining us we will lose Big Brad.

Wouldnt it make sense to keep him as a Coach/player. Robinson would be coached under one of the best keepers the Premiership has had over the last 8yrs.

Surely it would benefit all as we need a goalkeeper coach and a good stand in for brad.

Robinson would take over the helm in a positive frame of mind with the training received from Friedel which could only enhance his prospects for an England call-up.

It would be suiside to let Friedel go and put Robincson straight in.

What do you think?

Does it seem that with the prospect of Paul Robinson Joining us we will lose Big Brad.

Wouldnt it make sense to keep him as a Coach/player. Robinson would be coached under one of the best keepers the Premiership has had over the last 8yrs.

Surely it would benefit all as we need a goalkeeper coach and a good stand in for brad.

Robinson would take over the helm in a positive frame of mind with the training received from Friedel which could only enhance his prospects for an England call-up.

It would be suiside to let Friedel go and put Robincson straight in.

What do you think?

Aree 100%... Friedel could stay for at least one if not two more seasons with Robinson as No.2...He could learn a lot from him and the management would keep the fans happy...

quote from today's LET.

'' The Lancashire Lelegraph reprted that Friedel had been offered a bumper pay rise and an extra year on his contract as Ince seeks to stave off interest from Villa and Mark Hughes' Manchester City''

I can't see this article online yet, unless it's tucked into another article.

I can't see this article online yet, unless it's tucked into another article.

It is there but I think that's wrong as I pointed out several hours ago on the other thread.

Andy Neild wrote something completely different on Saturday.

We're not a selling club. We are now! Any club wanting one of Rovers better palyers need only give them another year on their contract and a bit a pay rise. Rovers roll over and take some of their cast-offs. A club with ambition? Actions speak louder than Williams' words. Hughes goes - no resistance. Bentley goes - no resistance. Friedel goes - no resistance. Roque will no doubt follow shortly. The manager and best 3 players from last season. The best keeper in the Prem goes to be replaced by possibly the fifth best in England. Bentley out Pennant in - that's progress? I think not. JW will need more than his affable bluster to talk his way out of this. But results next season will do the real talking.

We're not a selling club. We are now! Any club wanting one of Rovers better palyers need only give them another year on their contract and a bit a pay rise. Rovers roll over and take some of their cast-offs. A club with ambition? Actions speak louder than Williams' words. Hughes goes - no resistance. Bentley goes - no resistance. Friedel goes - no resistance. Roque will no doubt follow shortly. The manager and best 3 players from last season. The best keeper in the Prem goes to be replaced by possibly the fifth best in England. Bentley out Pennant in - that's progress? I think not. JW will need more than his affable bluster to talk his way out of this. But results next season will do the real talking.

What the hell are you on about. Have we sold anyone ? NO. We may well do, its probably more likely than not that we will as with most premier league teams. Its more than likely that we wil buy players but at the present time we have not bought anyone. But until then give over fantasising and get real.

Aree 100%... Friedel could stay for at least one if not two more seasons with Robinson as No.2...He could learn a lot from him and the management would keep the fans happy...

like that's going to happen.

robinson has 40 caps for england. he's going through a bad patch, but he will only sign for a club to be their number one choice

like that's going to happen.

robinson has 40 caps for england. he's going through a bad patch, but he will only sign for a club to be their number one choice

After his performances in past 1-2 years, I think Robinson should be happy to still be employed somewhere.

But I'm relieved by those Ince comments too.

Archived