BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Don't Sell Friedel!

Media reports are normally delayed.

HAve you got a link to where it says about us offering a new contract? I can only see reference to him signing the last one in february.

Last paragraph, LET. http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport...nrovers/3215032

That prompted Ince to offer Friedel improved terms this week, but the former Liverpool ace has made it clear his heart is set on a move, and Villa is believed to be his preferred destination, with Martin O’Neill keen to wrap up a deal before tonight’s Intertoto Cup deadline.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If my employer was paying me upwards of 20k a week to do something that I love, which entailed relatively little work but brought me a huge amount of pleasure, then yes, yes I probably would.

Yes but you'd still be doing the same job Eddie but fr an extra £25,000 a week.

There is obviously some history with Ince. It must be pretty bad for all of this to happen so suddenly.

New contract, loves the club, always gives 100%, then I want to leave, it makes no sense unless you add Ince into the equation.

If Ince tried to mend bridges and Brad still wants to go I will accept that and move on.

Still saddens me but we will find a suitable player to play in goal.

We will never find a replacement.

I tell you what I am getting so totally fed up with people on this site totally slating ince for every player that wants to leave etc. We didn't expect any loss to last seasons team realistically apart from David Bentley. Then out of the blue Hughesy leaves and now Friedel. This just happens to be football nowadays. Ince has wanted Friedel to stay and him and JW have offered him a new contract this week but it was turned down. It is a shame that we will lose such an established and reliable keeper but I feel that either Carson or Robinson will be more than amicable replacements and Rovers may be the right move for them. I even have confidence in Brown, come on he has been learning off of Brad first hand for the last 2 years. and please everyone just leave Ince alone, he is our manager now, he is part of the club just like everyone of us and he cannot be a success unless we back him and support him. GIVE THE MAN A CHANCE!!!

Good grief. I love my club but don't you think that's an overreaction? You were off on one like this over Hughes leaving as well.

If you've got issues with trust, loyalty or something there are better places, better people to work them out with than this (or any) footie messageboard.

oh yes, i'm an emotional little girl who has "issues". :rolleyes:

good grief to you. You "love your club" when everyone connected to is treating it like a 2-dollar whore? If the one and only thing football is is a business then what exactly are you "loving"? The paychecks that you aren't getting?

People like you and your "oh well" attitude are the reason why this is happening. They've killed everything respectable about football and made it entirely into a soulless business. The actual sport is the side-dish.

Brads real home is somewhere in Ohio. He won't need to move house here either to go to Villa. :o

I know where his real home is and I know he lives about as near to Villa as to us but he referred to our club as home recently and I wasn't being serious anyway. Besides how long is it since he lived regularly in Ohio? My real home's Teesside and I still feel a bit of emotion when I see Roseberry Topping and Captain Cook's monument but then i feel just the same when i do the return journey and see pendle Hill.

Hardly anyone ever seems to pick up on the reason why I dislike Lucash so much.

If Brad leaves, at least he is well in contract and we will get a very healthy fee for him. Lucash purposely tried to run down his contract so he could leave for nowt thereby earning himself an even bigger deal elsewhere.

Why should we respect someone whop tried to stiff us?

I seem to think that Neill would have left in the summer and that Hughes persuaded him to stay until Christmas. Anyway Rev you know enough about law to know that Neill was willing to abide completely to the terms of his contract ..... Freidel is simply not willing to do the same.

imo an issue between Ince and Freidel are poss the most likely explanation.

Friedel proves yet again in this summer of spoilt brat Prem stars that you must not believe a word of the rubbish they spout particularly after signing a lucrative new contract on 100 times the average wage. Brad was very happy at Rovers......until someone else comes up with a better offer. Then it's time to get out and totallly forget that a contract has 2 sides to it. If Friedel suffered a serious injury (as Nelsen and Reid both did shortly after penning new deals) he would be expect Rovers to pay him - as they did for 3 years to Jansen afetr be broke the terms of his contract and scrambled his brain. I'm delighted with the comments of JW in the LET. We all know that JW can talk the talk . Will he now walk it ? - or join the list of contributions to "Said and done" - the weekly column in the Observer that chronicles the difference between what players, managers and chairman say they will do ... and what actually happens. I wish I could believe Rovers will stand up and show some spine on this issue. But I fear it's just posturing and in a couple of weeks Brad will be on his way and Rovers will take another sad step towards the Championship.

Friedel proves yet again in this summer of spoilt brat Prem stars that you must not believe a word of the rubbish they spout particularly after signing a lucrative new contract on 100 times the average wage. Brad was very happy at Rovers......until someone else comes up with a better offer. Then it's time to get out and totallly forget that a contract has 2 sides to it. If Friedel suffered a serious injury (as Nelsen and Reid both did shortly after penning new deals) he would be expect Rovers to pay him - as they did for 3 years to Jansen afetr be broke the terms of his contract and scrambled his brain. I'm delighted with the comments of JW in the LET. We all know that JW can talk the talk . Will he now walk it ? - or join the list of contributions to "Said and done" - the weekly column in the Observer that chronicles the difference between what players, managers and chairman say they will do ... and what actually happens. I wish I could believe Rovers will stand up and show some spine on this issue. But I fear it's just posturing and in a couple of weeks Brad will be on his way and Rovers will take another sad step towards the Championship.

JW didn't say we won't sell though, did he? all he said was it's tricky, we weren't expecting it (well, this is Brad friedel we're talking about so I don't suppose they were) and Brad will have to understand and act professionally if we can't let him go.

How can selling Brad and replacing him with Robnson be another step to the Championship, its ludicrous, as much as I love Brad thism could be a great deal, Brad is getting on and for 2.5million (which must be some sort of record for a player that age) it is a great deal for us. Then to replace him with Robinson, 27, who is a top class international goalkeeper for 4million is great buisness on our part. Quit living in the past.

If Brad leaves, at least he is well in contract and we will get a very healthy fee for him. Lucash purposely tried to run down his contract so he could leave for nowt thereby earning himself an even bigger deal elsewhere.

Why should we respect someone whop tried to stiff us?

That's another Lucas myth Rev.

Neill told Rovers the summer before his contract was up that he wasn't going to sign a new one. They could either sell him then or let his contract run out. Rovers chose to let his contract run down. Surely a player cant be blamed for letting his contract run down to the last year before saying he's going. It's not like he made Rovers wait until his contract was up then sprung it on them. Are players now morally expected by fans to always have 4 years on their contract to suit the club?

Quotes from the summer before his contract was up in the Telegraph include:

Rovers have made it clear they are not prepared to sell at any price, even if that means losing him for nothing on a free.

"a move to Liverpool collapsed on trasnfer deadline day after the two clubs failed to agree a fee."

The club had the opportunity to sell Lucas. Lucas wanted to leave to Liverpool the summer before (Hughes says so in one of the links). The club chose not to cash in. Despite that Lucas carried on playing as normal until Rovers eventually decided to take the money.

The club had also had 12 months to find a replacement for Neill. With Brad, we've hardly got 4 weeks to get one. Doubt we'll be reading this about Friedel when he returns though.

That's another Lucas myth Rev.

Neill told Rovers the summer before his contract was up that he wasn't going to sign a new one. They could either sell him then or let his contract run out. Rovers chose to let his contract run down. Surely a player cant be blamed for letting his contract run down to the last year before saying he's going. It's not like he made Rovers wait until his contract was up then sprung it on them. Are players now morally expected by fans to always have 4 years on their contract to suit the club?

Quotes from the summer before his contract was up in the Telegraph include:

Rovers have made it clear they are not prepared to sell at any price, even if that means losing him for nothing on a free.

"a move to Liverpool collapsed on trasnfer deadline day after the two clubs failed to agree a fee."

The club had the opportunity to sell Lucas. Lucas wanted to leave to Liverpool the summer before (Hughes says so in one of the links). The club chose not to cash in. Despite that Lucas carried on playing as normal until Rovers eventually decided to take the money.

The club had also had 12 months to find a replacement for Neill. With Brad, we've hardly got 4 weeks to get one. Doubt we'll be reading this about Friedel when he returns though.

The depth of feeling against Neill who really did play 'honest injun' is not only baffling but really is irrational and illogical too and can only be based on some sort of primeval instinct.......

......... but then who am I to talk? :rolleyes:

How can selling Brad and replacing him with Robnson be another step to the Championship, its ludicrous, as much as I love Brad thism could be a great deal, Brad is getting on and for 2.5million (which must be some sort of record for a player that age) it is a great deal for us. Then to replace him with Robinson, 27, who is a top class international goalkeeper for 4million is great buisness on our part. Quit living in the past.

Well said. I agree entirely with that.

Time marches on. Players get older and must be replaced, no matter what iconic status they have at Ewood.

The depth of feeling against Neill who really did play 'honest injun' is not only baffling but really is irrational and illogical too and can only be based on some sort of primeval instinct.......

......... but then who am I to talk? :rolleyes:

This is getting worrying because i too defended Lucas Neill, although I couldn't see why he would go to West Ham in the end (well, yes I could but it wasn't the ambition thing he'd gone on about before) and yet I too am guilty of the kind of irrational hatred that others show towards Neill. Guess each one of us has our pet hate aned there's no accounting for it.

...If I was married to someone for 50 years and one day she tells me she's leaving me for someone else...it would be shocking, but I'd accept that.

I'd say "He can have you, you 75 year old hag!!!"

Unless Neill said one thing in private to Hughes and another thing entirely in public, I don't think he did. Publicly he gave it some guff about "keeping his options open" and Hughes must have thought there was a fighting chance of persuading him to stay or he surely wouldn't have given him the armband.

I don't see morally why players shouldn't maintain a healthy time span on their contracts - we all know it doesn't stop them moving as long as the buying club are prepared to stump up the going rate, but it does protect the selling club financially. Surely players should show more loyalty to their existing club that pays their wages than to some unspecified other club that may or may not come in for them in the future.

Really strange, now he wants to leave all of a sudden.

Wonder why, considering he was best friends with Hughes etc........

He must be a fan of the new management and the rest of the staff - to be fair, if I was him, I would get out now as well.

Really strange, now he wants to leave all of a sudden.

Wonder why, considering he was best friends with Hughes etc........

He must be a fan of the new management and the rest of the staff - to be fair, if I was him, I would get out now as well.

£5m

The difference between expected earnings at Ewood and at Villa Park.

And he's old enough to be thinking of his pension.

£5m

The difference between expected earnings at Ewood and at Villa Park.

And he's old enough to be thinking of his pension.

Of course! Sorry, silly me for suggesting otherwise.... please enlighten me with more going ons at BRFC Mr Positive.

The sooner you starting facing reality the better IMO.

There is the link with Lerner who has contacts in the US that would be able to help finance Brads academy. I'm not saying there's a promise there but you can see why Brad would want to earn enough to get his academy (which is free for the kids and their parents) financial stability and the links to make it better and more well known. I'm also not sure Brad would play for us for three more years and whether we'd actually play him (first team, first choice) for the next three years either. I won't hold it against him if he leaves but I'll be gutted when he does. We need a quality replacement either now or in two years even if Brown is first choice.

I was a big fan of Lucas Neill but his comments before he left and just after really p'd me off enough that I wish his career a long and fruitless fight to avoid relegation. The longer a situation goes on (like Neill and Bentley) the more the fans will get p'd off because of the perceived lack of respect for them and the club. Brad has always shown respect to Rovers and (I hope) will always get shown respect. Neill can rot at West Ham for as long as he wishes. Bentley, I'm undecided. I still think he needs to stay for one more year, he owes the club that much. My personal opinion.

Hello everyone,

it just occured to me with regards to Friedel possibly leaving first off one of his friends is interested in taking over the club in Nabeel Chowdery then suddenly he is not interested in paying the full price. Then Friedel says he wants to leave has something been said also wasn't Friedel supposed to be part of his consortium?. I hope this is nothing to do with it but it is a bit of a coincidence if it is the case I hope we don't lose our no.1 keeper because of the takeover. I can understand him wanting to earn more money but it is a bit of a surprise also just before Ince was confirmed Friedel said on SSN he recommended Ince for the hot-seat. He obviously needs help to finance his soccer academy in the U.S. obviously if Chowdery were to take over it would probably work out better for him but he seems when it comes to wages he is not too bothered about the money I have a feeling this takeover has something to do with him wanting out.

And now, the end is near;And so I face the final curtain.My friend, Ill say it clear,Ill state my case, of which Im certain.Ive lived a life thats full.Ive traveled each and evry highway;And more, much more than this,aaaarrrrrrgggghhhh stop it. ALL PEEPS,.

Unless Neill said one thing in private to Hughes and another thing entirely in public, I don't think he did. Publicly he gave it some guff about "keeping his options open" and Hughes must have thought there was a fighting chance of persuading him to stay or he surely wouldn't have given him the armband.

I don't see morally why players shouldn't maintain a healthy time span on their contracts - we all know it doesn't stop them moving as long as the buying club are prepared to stump up the going rate, but it does protect the selling club financially. Surely players should show more loyalty to their existing club that pays their wages than to some unspecified other club that may or may not come in for them in the future.

Well looking at the quotes in my links previously, Neill obviously had told Hughes he wanted to leave hence the reason Hughes said Lucas was 'disappointed the transfer deadline day move to Liverpool fell through.' Unlike Brad he had the sense not to go public with it so that if he ended up having to stay at Ewood it wouldn't cause a problem. To get his move he'd probably have been better off throwing his toys out of the pram.

Archived