BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Don't Sell Friedel!

We're getting closer and closer to one of the saddest days of the history of this club.

I'm excited about the thought of Robinson coming in. Friedel isn't going to go on much longer, next season could easily be his last as a top-level keeper, so replacing him now isn't such a bad thing.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever thought that there's a load of "spin" about Friedel's impending departure?

Perhaps the real reason that he wants to go is that he never saw eye to eye with Paul Ince when they were at Liverpool? It's possible. Perhaps they can't stand each other? "But he was on tele saying what a great appointment Ince is!" - what's he supposed to say? "Well to be honest I think it's a dreadful move, I don't like the fella." That would look very well on SKY and reflect badly on him.

I refuse to believe he's gone just baecause of the cash. Rovers aren't going to say otherwise. There's no blame on either side - it happens - not all people can get on. Maybe there's "history". Still if you guys want to slaughter the fella - "they're all the same" "aren't we fools" etc - then fine.

Sad to see him go.

I find it strange that Brad was happy to see out the rest of his career at Ewood just 6 weeks ago after turning down several lucrative offers in the past, then we appoint a new manager and Brad wants out ! Don't tell me the appointment of Ince has had no bearing on this. John Williams - I think we should be told.

In my view, he enjoyed the Hughes era so much, he has decided that a change would be best for him. He always spoke genuinely so highly of the staff and the set-up.

Brad has saved us so many times, even last season and the stats show he is clearly one of the best goalkeepers in the league. Most neutrals rate him as highly as some of us do. Yet, some of us seem to think this is not a massive blow for us.

Everyone can be replaced, but this is even more difficult to take, especially as he is going to one of our rivals.

Along with Tugay (when he goes), he is a legend and one of the players I would like to say thank you for the memories. He is was a top class player for us with a great attitude off the pitch as well.

I am just finding this a hell of a summer for us so far....... :(

He has been one of the clubs best ever servants. Anyone who boos him when he comes back should be ashamed of themselves. I'm with Bob in that there is more to this than meets the eye here.

Brad Friedel is a hero of mine and shall remain so always. I expect him to do what true heros do and be willing to sacrafice his own reputation for the good of the club. (Eg not slate Ince). History will say he left for money but i am not so naive(Slate me if you will).

Cheers for the memories Brad.

Still can't believe Brad is leaving us. :(

Without doubt the greatest ever keeper to play for Rovers. If rumours are to be believed then we'll be getting Robinson in his place. Even a fully confident and in-form Robinson wouldn't come close to Brad.

Money talks,and it is the root of all evil.we shouldnt let this get our spirits down.brad is a top keeper,but he made his fair share of errors as well.at 37,coming to the end of a very good career why deny the guy a good last pay day? Everything comes to an end at one time or the other, an unfortunately the the time has come for him to end his Rovers fairytale.

I think most would agree that this will probably be a blow for THIS season. It's unlikely that this year Friedel will have a serious dip in form, but it is possible that this is the year when his age does catch up with him. Those of us who are "for" the move are looking more mid to long-term and realise that Friedel will have to be replaced within the next season or two. Good feelings aside and looking at it from a purely financial and footballing aspect this is the best way to do it. Had Friedel only joined us two seasons ago no one would be questioning this move.

He'll be difficult to replace and we'll have to do a good job with the signing. Personally I think Robinson for 3.5-4 would be a good deal, although I do think we can find better out there if we look very hard and I am a bit worried that we seem to have had a fairly quick and limited search and that we appear to be entirely focused on him. What worries me is that if we don't get him then we will opt for either a cheapish old keeper (which basically puts us in the same situation we are in now in terms of having to replace our keeper in a year or two) or a young keeper on loan (which basically puts us in the same situation we are in now).

Ever thought that there's a load of "spin" about Friedel's impending departure?

Perhaps the real reason that he wants to go is that he never saw eye to eye with Paul Ince when they were at Liverpool? It's possible. Perhaps they can't stand each other? "But he was on tele saying what a great appointment Ince is!" - what's he supposed to say? "Well to be honest I think it's a dreadful move, I don't like the fella." That would look very well on SKY and reflect badly on him.

I refuse to believe he's gone just baecause of the cash. Rovers aren't going to say otherwise. There's no blame on either side - it happens - not all people can get on. Maybe there's "history". Still if you guys want to slaughter the fella - "they're all the same" "aren't we fools" etc - then fine.

Sad to see him go.

It certainly makes you wonder especially when Warnock was also singing Inces praises then hes suddenly linked with a move away.

I am sad about Brad leaving - especially just looking at his stats that popped up on sky sports - 95% catching for last season is pretty solid isn't it. I cant remember the amount of times I have watched someone skip past our defense to go one on one with Brad and I fear the worst only to be shouting FRIDEL FRIDEL FRIDEL with my finger pointing out in celebration that he has saved it.

Now, if I can put the heart to one side and put the head into action - this is a good bit of business from Rovers. While I think that we could have got 3m for him 2m plus add ons for a 37 year old isnt bad. As someone said we would have had to start looking for another keeper in the next couple if seasons anyway and we wouldnt have got 2m for him then. If we can use this to bring in a keeper that will keep us going for a few years then fine by me.

Good Luck Brad and thanks for everything but as soon as you stick that Villa shirt on your nothing to me.

Summed up my feelings perfectly Cocker

We will never know the truth about what happened who said what etc. Just sounds strange to me that someone who has turned down big money moves in the past, Man United? and claimed he loves the club suddenly wants to leave pretty soon after a new manager comes in. Anyways i've made my feelings pretty clear i think its a huge mistake no point debating it as the decision has been made.

I don't boo players, never have and deep down i won't forget what our greatest ever keeper has done for the club. Come the start of the season i'll treat him like any other player from another club.

Like with Hughes, I will always have a soft spot for Friedel. In fact, he will go down as my second favourite player of my life time after Shearer.

His loss will be immense and I doubt we'll see a better keeper at Ewood over the next fifty years.

Something fishy is going on here though. You don't express your love for the club and sign a contract extension that will see out the last years of your career and then suddenly have a change of heart a few months later. He has had numerous opportunities to move to big clubs for big wages, why now? This is definitely something to do with Hughes leaving and Ince arriving.

Personally, I'm devastated even more so than when Hughes left. This has been the worst summer for a Rovers fan for quite some time.

As for replacements, I'd go for Green over Robinson.

He's got as much chance of winning something with Rovers as he has with Villa, if what we hear is true we offered him fantastic terms to stay. So what's changed ? I'm giving Ince the bebefit of the doubt for now but if the close season carries on with this draining away of our best resources he's going to have some questions to answer when the team returns home.

A bit of a conspiracy theory I know, but I think Friedel's Soccer Academy might have something to do with it personally. Doesn't Lerner have connections to Cleveland where Brad is from, he owns the Cleveland Browns American Football team iirc?

Lerner could have quite easily sounded out brad on the lines of “I would be willing to invest in your academies” once your playing days are over. Of course there could be an issue of legality in making such a move and it would be hard to prove but it could have turned Brad's head.

Its just one of the theory's i've read going around.

I'm giving Ince the bebefit of the doubt for now but if the close season carries on with this draining away of our best resources he's going to have some questions to answer when the team returns home.

Why are people panicking? It's nothing to do with Ince. Brad is leaving for money and greed. Pure and simple.

The last man we all expected to let us down has done. He has shown himself to be the rule and not the exception when it comes to footballers and their slippery ways.

His legend status is in the bin for me. A legend does not ask to leave. However I will not boo him on his return, nor cheer. Silent indifference will be my protest.

Thanks for your past efforts Brad if not your unswerving loyalty, and remember Cash is most definitely King

Like with Hughes, I will always have a soft spot for Friedel. In fact, he will go down as my second favourite player of my life time after Shearer.

His loss will be immense and I doubt we'll see a better keeper at Ewood over the next fifty years.

Something fishy is going on here though. You don't express your love for the club and sign a contract extension that will see out the last years of your career and then suddenly have a change of heart a few months later. He has had numerous opportunities to move to big clubs for big wages, why now? This is definitely something to do with Hughes leaving and Ince arriving.

Personally, I'm devastated even more so than when Hughes left. This has been the worst summer for a Rovers fan for quite some time.

As for replacements, I'd go for Green over Robinson.

Rumour has it that Randy Lerner - as well as providing a huge salary - has also offered to help Friedal with his soccer academies in the US.

I think we have to admit that things change - I am sure that he has great fondness for Rovers. But at the end of the day he has to think about his long term future. It is likely that this will set him up for his retirement - while also providing backing for his academies.

In truth, if the figures being put about are correct - this is actually a good deal all round. Logically Friedal probably made as many mistakes as Robinson last year - but not as well publicised. Friedal will always be a legend - but last year I feel we saw chinks in his armour that will have only grown with age. Good luck Brad - thanks for the memory - time for everyone to move on.

He'll get one hell of a great reception on his return to Ewood thats a dead cert.

Whilst I don't disagree that he should, why have others not been dealt the same card?

He is ditching Blackburn for money. I'm not going to go on about it, as it does get boring, but one last time can somebody please try and explain why Friedel is exempt from being labled/branded and hounded for being a greedy barsteward.

Shearer left for genuine love for his destination, and the reception he recieved on his return was filthy. Venon which has never been heard in support of the team at Ewood. Others previously mentioned have left for the EXACT same reasons as Friedel, having given good years of service and effort and again have been given nasty receptions upon there return.

Why is Friedel any different?

I am not saying Friedel should be booed, I don't really think 99% of ex players should, I'm just intrigued as to why you lot ('you lot' being those who choose to heckle ex players) think Friedel should be treat differently.

Why suddenly all the conspiracy theories boys? its only going to make us all even more bitter.

I have to admit though it leaves you feeling who the hell next through the door....Cruz?.Of all the players first to leave the club this summer Friedels name would probably have been bottom of most peoples lists. :(

Archived