BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Don't Sell Friedel!

Come on guys. Bad blood? Loves the club? Football is a business, and the business decision of Blackburn Rovers was to sell an exceptional, but 37 yr old and not as great as his was, goalkeeper for £2.5 million. Also knowing we had an International replacement lined up who is 10 years younger.

It's a bit of a gamble but could turn out to be a very smart piece of business

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK first off yes he had a bad game at Birmingham but there where ten other players on that pitch who also had a bad game.

What happens if againast Everton or in one of the first games Robbo drops a clanger, In Brad we had one of the best if he dropped a clanger he generally picked himself straight back up.

Robbo is a risk Brad was not. I don't believe though that Robbo would stand a better chance at another club though Steele is the key, him and Robbo have a special bond from there time together at leeds. That is the only optimisum I can draw from all this.

I am also fed-up of hearing its makes sense on a business level, he was 37 etc etc. Brad is well known for the fact that he always sought out and undertook ways to maintain his flexibility, agility etc and went above and beyond to do so. He will still be Villa's No.1 in 3 years time because of that fact!

That game was only a few weeks after he put in an exceptional performance against United. :o

That's true, but the first match any incoming manager would look at would surely be the most recent and that match would cause a worry to any manager - and I include all players in that statement.

That's true, but the first match any incoming manager would look at would surely be the most recent and that match would cause a worry to any manager - and I include all players in that statement.

Good point, that performance at Birmingham, considering that European football was achievable, was downright disgusting.

I wish I hadn't watched those highlights again but big Brad's performance in Brum that day was truly abysmal irrespective of the half-hearted garbage going on in front of him.

Hmm, who benefitted European-wise from Brad clutching fresh air instead of a football?

Who is paying Brad a handsome sum now?

Off to wash the key pad with soap and water for typing such heresy.

I had to be calmed down in the pub by mates watching the game, how they could not get up for it or play with any passion I just could not understand it.

Id o believe under Hughes to many where comfortable and knew regardless of form they would always play. Also that they believed the hype surrounding them "top 4" etc, and at times it was as though turning up would be enough to win. I honestly believe that was the case againast Brum.

Same rationale as Hughes then, which I always thought the most likely reason.

Everyone at the club saw the lack of ambition in the last 12 months, and, in this day and age, the owners putting in $3million makes no difference, not compared to Lerner. I think players would have seen the Ince appointment as a part of the same pattern. Players 'not getting on' 8 years ago, especially when Ince was 1st team capt and Freidal/Warnock obscure reserves, would be a ludicrous reason to leave a club.

Friedel certainly rains on Mark Hughes' parade at Man City reading between the lines there.

OK my earlier linking of Friedel's so bad performance at Brum it almost looks deliberate was way below the belt so I will offer an alternative and altogether more realistic hypothesis.

Rich guys are attracted to football ownership but get turned off enormously by thefact their cash goes into the lifestyles of semi-literate yobs and their grubby entourages (players, players' families and agents). Brad has been very different in ploughing his earnings into the soccer academies and that would have appealed enormously to a guy like Randy Lerner, especially when his home town is benefitting.

On that basis Lerner would have had no hesitation in writing a money-no object contract for Brad as he knows his excess money is going to a very good home.

Off to wash the key pad with soap and water for typing such heresy.

that's funny :D

Although we don't play Villa at home until February, I hope Big Brad gets a good reception.

Didn't we give Savage a good welcome back when he came here with Derby? (although he's generally disliked by fans of most other clubs :rolleyes: )

Friedel certainly rains on Mark Hughes' parade at Man City reading between the lines there.

OK my earlier linking of Friedel's so bad performance at Brum it almost looks deliberate was way below the belt so I will offer an alternative and altogether more realistic hypothesis.

Rich guys are attracted to football ownership but get turned off enormously by thefact their cash goes into the lifestyles of semi-literate yobs and their grubby entourages (players, players' families and agents). Brad has been very different in ploughing his earnings into the soccer academies and that would have appealed enormously to a guy like Randy Lerner, especially when his home town is benefitting.

On that basis Lerner would have had no hesitation in writing a money-no object contract for Brad as he knows his excess money is going to a very good home.

Quite the imagination there, here's a thought Brad is one of the Best Goalkeepers in europe so they signed him, cause we were silly enough to sell him!

'drog I missed your post originally, sorry 'n all that.

My post was brought about my finally bringing myself to watch the Brum goals for the first time since I saw them on t'internet live and my immediate reaction was "**** those look like deliberate conceeds." Only after that did the Villa getting into Intertoto penny drop.

The "problem" Brad had was that unlike the contentious Andy Cole hattrick against Grobelaar, Brum were so unbelievably bad that Friedel practically had to throw the balls into the net for them.

'drog I missed your post originally, sorry 'n all that.

My post was brought about my finally bringing myself to watch the Brum goals for the first time since I saw them on t'internet live and my immediate reaction was "**** those look like deliberate conceeds." Only after that did the Villa getting into Intertoto penny drop.

The "problem" Brad had was that unlike the contentious Andy Cole hattrick against Grobelaar, Brum were so unbelievably bad that Friedel practically had to throw the balls into the net for them.

Thought maybe you'd got me on 'ignore'. ^_^ Anyway I was only the messenger. The original thought came via another member.

"Blackburn Rovers is home to me. This is my club and I have a special affinity with it

"When you sign with a club, you always hope that it will turn out to be long term and that has certainly proved true for me here."

Robbo is a risk Brad was not.

Totally disagree - Brad is 37 years old. At that age it is anyone's guess how long he will go on playing at the top of his game. Even though his run of ever present games was bordering on super human - the older he gets the more likely to pick up injuries.

For me it was a gamble either way.

Totally disagree - Brad is 37 years old. At that age it is anyone's guess how long he will go on playing at the top of his game. Even though his run of ever present games was bordering on super human - the older he gets the more likely to pick up injuries.

For me it was a gamble either way.

Alot of it depends on how he has trained in the past, I know Brad has always done alot of extra work on his agility flexibilty etc. Like you said 175 and counting and he's 37, that for me speaks volumes as to how he must look after his body! I for one will not be surprised if he's still Villa's No.1 in 3 years time. With the serious investment that we are slowly seeing in sports science within the game playing careers are getting longer.

Congratulations Paul Ince for having the balls to realise that Brad wount be around for ever and now was the perfect time to make a longer-term purchase whilst other keepers asking prices were low. Brad is a legend and will be for at least another year but his form will start to go, it always does as a career comes to an end and regardless of Brad wanting out, Ince has made a very bold decision to let him go. Although 'The Governor' as a personal nickname is a tad self-indulgent, I genuinely hope he lives up to this tag as our players need to realise that they cannot dictate their own circumstances.

Congratulations Paul Ince for having the balls to realise that Brad wount be around for ever and now was the perfect time to make a longer-term purchase whilst other keepers asking prices were low. Brad is a legend and will be for at least another year but his form will start to go, it always does as a career comes to an end and regardless of Brad wanting out, Ince has made a very bold decision to let him go. Although 'The Governor' as a personal nickname is a tad self-indulgent, I genuinely hope he lives up to this tag as our players need to realise that they cannot dictate their own circumstances.

Yeah congrats Incey. It's quite obvious that Hughes and O'Neill are just stupid gits. :rolleyes:

Yeah congrats Incey. It's quite obvious that Hughes and O'Neill are just stupid gits. :rolleyes:

Teams backed by mega-bucks owners like City and Villa can happily spend £2.5 million and not be worried that they won't see any money on that return. It's completely different for us, and safeguarding our goalkeeping future in the long term for £1 million is excellent business. Robinson has all the natural ability a top goalkeeper needs just like Brad did, there's no reason Robinson can't go on to be one of the best keepers this club has had as well.

Teams backed by mega-bucks owners like City and Villa can happily spend £2.5 million and not be worried that they won't see any money on that return. It's completely different for us, and safeguarding our goalkeeping future in the long term for £1 million is excellent business. Robinson has all the natural ability a top goalkeeper needs just like Brad did, there's no reason Robinson can't go on to be one of the best keepers this club has had as well.

If we finish 3 places lower thanks to not having Brad (very concievable when you think of how many extraordinary performances he produced each season), then that pretty much totally negates the £2.5 million we recieved for him.

Archived