BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, can't fault MON for that. He thought 10M was a fair price, and he's stuck to it. In the same way that he knows how much he wants for Barry etc.

A player is only worth what buying clubs are willing to pay - Without Spurs' involvement, we would be exactly where i thought this would end up after seeing "the drunken interview". Just one left to fall now, and unless Spurs' purchasing team are weaker than i thought, Bentley will be on our right wing in the new season.

To be fair, can't fault MON for that. He thought 10M was a fair price, and he's stuck to it. In the same way that he knows how much he wants for Barry etc.

A player is only worth what buying clubs are willing to pay - Without Spurs' involvement, we would be exactly where i thought this would end up after seeing "the drunken interview". Just one left to fall now, and unless Spurs' purchasing team are weaker than i thought, Bentley will be on our right wing in the new season.

I want him to go to be honest so I am hoping Spurs get the money in and spend it. Although the difference between 9m and 17m is a long long long way....

[, Bentley will be on our right wing in the new season.

i hope you're right ,cus we'd have a top attacking side if this chilean guy comes aswell ,bring back the good times to ewood .INCEY'S THE MAN! :rover:

So do i JBN, but only for the asking price - I'd be happy to keep him if nobody meets it. He'll not sit and sulk - he seems the sort that will try to prove everyone wrong in undervaluing him, rather than taking it personally.

The fact that Villa's offer (as Nicko points out above) was actually weeks ago and was MON's top offer, and that Spurs have somehow managed to undercut a rejected offer makes me lean towards the "this is going nowhere" opinion.

I've no doubt that other teams want him, and that we would cash in if there was a buyer at the right price, but i think there's too much of a gap, and not enough money sloshing around anymore for big 4 squad players.

nicko, any right backs rovers are looking at worth getting excited over and if bentley was to go then do you think ince would like to bring in someone for the right wing, you mentioned that rovers are looking in that area any clue to what type of winger he will be looking for to replace bently if he goes i.e. one with pace than can run at defenders or a mould of bentley.

cheers.

I know MON comments confirm this, but I never thought Villa was a realistic move for Bentley.

SSN reporter on now talking about transfers generally, saying he feels a bit for Paul Ince and that he may not have known what he got himself into (having to reject all these bids for BRFC players).

Obviously JW is answering questions, but I remember last summer we seemed to be more general when commenting on rejected bids. We seem to be commenting on all players who are being linked away.

Chile player looks a good prospect.

So...

The 'Villa bid' referred to by Paul Ince after the Macclesfield game was, in fact, weeks old. I took a slaughtering for saying that at the time I seem to recall.

And, yes, Villa HAVE moved on.

Check in at 11 o'clock.

What will be included in the 11 update? Will it include anything to do with Villa?

The Bentley bid wasn't £10 million from Villa. It was higher.

I don't think Mental O' Neil actually has much cash without a sale. The guy is beginning to look odder by the minute.

That's the oddest thing though. Villa do have money. Or at least their fans are convinced they have. Don't know whether the problems are to do with Lerner not wanting to chuck money about too much in case people put the fees up a bit like they do to chelsea, or whether MON just doesn't like spending too much, having never really had much to spend and knowing, like Hughes what you can get for a reasonable amount.

Its more a case that MON,doesnt know what to do with all the money.its interesting,when i spoke to a mate of mine he said that most of the teams with loads money,that are not one of the top 4,dont have the pulling power to land the big name players.i remember pompey linked with top players,offered good money,and the player turned them down.it seems spurs are in that position as well.

DAVID BENTLEY - The Spurs bid is £8.5 million cash, plus £3.5 million-rated Paul Robinson and a further £4.2 million in add-ons. Rovers said no. Daniel Levy is likely to come back with more. I work it out that Rovers would have to give Arsenal around £4.5 million from the deal, leaving them with £4 million and Robinson. The extras would be split with Arsenal too. Complicated.

BRAD FRIEDEL - Villa have not signed him in time for Europe [barring miracles in the next two hours] but that one is still on.

CASTILLO/VILLANUEVA - Efforts going on to close the deals, but I have no further info. My Ecuadorian and Chilean contacts have let me down... :lol:

TOTTENHAM GANG OF FOUR - Relevant because of Bentley. Chimbonda and Tainio will talk to Sunderland and have been offered good deals. Malbranque will also speak to the but is more likely to go to Aston Villa [which explains why Villa are out of Bentley]. Kaboul won't talk to Sunderland because he thinks he is going to Portsmouth. Daniel Levy should make enough from those sales to up his Bentley bid...and more.

DAVID BENTLEY - The Spurs bid is £8.5 million cash, plus £3.5 million-rated Paul Robinson and a further £4.2 million in add-ons. Rovers said no. Daniel Levy is likely to come back with more. I work it out that Rovers would have to give Arsenal around £4.5 million from the deal, leaving them with £4 million and Robinson. The extras would be split with Arsenal too. Complicated.

BRAD FRIEDEL - Villa have not signed him in time for Europe [barring miracles in the next two hours] but that one is still on.

CASTILLO/VILLANUEVA - Efforts going on to close the deals, but I have no further info. My Ecuadorian and Chilean contacts have let me down... :lol:

TOTTENHAM GANG OF FOUR - Relevant because of Bentley. Chimbonda and Tainio will talk to Sunderland and have been offered good deals. Malbranque will also speak to the but is more likely to go to Aston Villa [which explains why Villa are out of Bentley]. Kaboul won't talk to Sunderland because he thinks he is going to Portsmouth. Daniel Levy should make enough from those sales to up his Bentley bid...and more.

If that's what Spurs are offering I'm not surprised we said No and If I were Bentley I'd think I was worth more. after all he's got a big enough ego. why go to a club that thinks you're worth about 12 million straight cash.

The thing about Spuds add-ons is they are designed never to be paid (Charlton thought they'd cashed in on a Bent trigger when Spurs won the League Cup but the clause stipulated FA Cup...).

Therefore, this is an offer of 8.5+3.5 for Bentley leaving a £5m gap.

That is a big gap.

That's the oddest thing though. Villa do have money. Or at least their fans are convinced they have. Don't know whether the problems are to do with Lerner not wanting to chuck money about too much in case people put the fees up a bit like they do to chelsea, or whether MON just doesn't like spending too much, having never really had much to spend and knowing, like Hughes what you can get for a reasonable amount.

I think you've hit a number of nails on the head GB. O' Neil has spent big for what he's got but maybe feels a bit 'done' on occasions e.g. Young Ashley! Also what's the Americans money tied up in. He does appear a good type but I think the non sale of Barry has slowed them down a lot.

Its more a case that MON,doesnt know what to do with all the money.its interesting,when i spoke to a mate of mine he said that most of the teams with loads money,that are not one of the top 4,dont have the pulling power to land the big name players.i remember pompey linked with top players,offered good money,and the player turned them down.it seems spurs are in that position as well.

LOL :lol: Wish I was in that position!

You said earlier that the the right winger target wanted to stay at his current club. Is there no chance Rovers will go back to him if Bentley is sold? I hope they plan to buy a new right winger if Bents decides to go. Alexis Sánchez of Udinese (19 year-old Chilean) would be my choice but would probably cost a small fortune. Do you know if they have scouted him previously?

Archived