BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Transfer Window

tcj_jones

I never said that you said anything?

And no Im not worried, Im not even concerned.

Id also disagree with your final statement, but we are entitled to our own opinions. Id perhaps prefer to see things pan out and what the season has in store for us.

Then why add the words 'world class right winger' into your post, when it was clear I wasn't advocating the signing of such a player?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that our formation will change and we will not play with traditional wingers.

Regardless I would rather give Judge a chance on the right than Pennant, we have 4 months to the next window, hopefully that will be enough time for Ince and the board to decide on a player they want and sign him.

In a window where McCartney goes for £6 million and Campbell is worth over £7 million it is the wrong time to purchase Pennant for £5 million plus £50K wages.

So what if we get relegated?

Next season will be exciting knowing that we will have a well balanced league to play in where more than 4 teams have a chance of winning the title.

And I've never even been to Scunthorpe!

I'm due to return from Brisbane back to the UK in July 2010 and will be looking forward to the pubs and nightlife in places such as Morecambe, Exeter, Chester and of course Accrington Stanley.

We'll all have a jolly when we leave Ewood Park happy as bunnies at the late winner by Emerton (who will still be with us) against Accrington Stanley.

Blackburn Rovers 1 Accrington Stanley 0

COME ON!!!!

So what if we get relegated?

Next season will be exciting knowing that we will have a well balanced league to play in where more than 4 teams have a chance of winning the title.

And I've never even been to Scunthorpe!

I'm due to return from Brisbane back to the UK in July 2010 and will be looking forward to the pubs and nightlife in places such as Morecambe, Exeter, Chester and of course Accrington Stanley.

We'll all have a jolly when we leave Ewood Park happy as bunnies at the late winner by Emerton (who will still be with us) against Accrington Stanley.

Blackburn Rovers 1 Accrington Stanley 0

COME ON!!!!

exactly.

The Premiership is for rich clubs and rich clubs only. Those who aren't rich live a measly existence at the bottom. I'd much rather watch games every week where anything can happen instead of scraping for 16-th-15th place.

Regarding the transfer window how much did Rovers stretch their wage bill by with all the incomings versus the outgoings plus Santa Cruz increasing his salary.

The sum total of this transfer window there doesnt seem to have been much value given to the fans, though the club have probably spent a fair bit of money on what can only be described as keeping their heads above water.

Sink or swim time now what a challenge Ince and his team have on there hands now, can they do it ? the positive bit in me says yes they can.

And lets' not forget that unwritten rule that says the bigger the club becomes the more penalties they will get awarded by referees. I will walk 100 miles in nothing but donald duck underwear if Hull City are awarded a genuine 90th minute penalty at Old Trafford with the score at 0-0.

When the penalty appeals are waived away by Riley, it will only be big news in the local papers in Hull. If it was the other way around, you'd get national journalists blazing Riley all over the back pages.

And now no referee will want to see "Man City cheated by Rennie as Rovers record lucky win" all over the Arab Times.

The lack of ambition on display is alarming. Where's the Bentley money gone? Where are the transfer funds that should have been assured even before we flogged our best player for under his value? Where's the money assured by playing in the richest league in the world?

We patently lack both width and creativity, the club should have addressed this as the highest priority. Instead we get the same old dawdling and eventual inactivity, while our rivals spend cash like its going out fashion, strengthening their squads and leaving us to mull over the fact that we have Brett Emerton on the right wing and no distinguishable means of getting the ball to our best player. I'm fuming.

I'll post this in here as well...

We needed a right winger but we're not the only ones. Newcastle were after one too. There are none around that want to leave the clubs they are at and the others are too expensive. I don't blame Ince for that or JW and the board. That is the state of the game and wasting money on players is poor business and paying way over the odds because you 'need' something is plainly the silliest thing you can do, once you've done it everyone expects you to do it again!

Alan Judge might well be the answer, we'll have to wait and see. I am disappointed but I can't blame the people who obviously tried to do deals if the deals that were being offered were stupid money deals. Hold on to it and try again in Jan. Will we have a hard time down the right because of it? No doubt we will but maybe, just maybe, we can find a gem in Judge and even Bert Mk4 will step up.

The rule is always don't pay silly money for average players. Pennant is only average, he has the potential to be more but...

I cannot for the life of me understand the reactions of some people on here.

The only position I feel we desperately needed reinforcing was RM. I personally cannot see anyone moving who I would have liked us to sign. Not one player who could fill that role.

I am on record for saying I would rather keep any money in the kitty for 6 months and reassess the options at the next window.

I would have been very annoyed had we have gone for a Pennant at £6m or so and then seen a superior player within our reach become available later down the line.

If we have the cash and Ince hasn't spent it then I commend him, and I am pleased to see he is not rash in the transfer market.

If the money hasn't been made availbale for him to persue his identified targets then I am very concerned.

I suspect the latter is closer to the truth.

You have to think that this window might be a defining moment in the Rovers' fortunes. The club has failed to replace Bentley, our best outfield player, and as pointed out, other teams appear to have overtaken us. However as serious a concern is whether Ince can get as much out of players such as Samba and Warnock as Hughes did. Hughes, for all the crap football last season, managed to get the team to get results the team didn't deserve. That's the challenge facing Ince and his staff.

When Paul Ince came on board John Williams said he had a long term plan. I don't envisage this plan was "spend loads of money in the first transfer window"

I imagine he is going to use the first season to rebuild, get a good rapport with his team then make a push next year when he has the nucleus of a good team and a lot of money to spend. He will also have properly identifed what system we are going to play and what players WE NEED!

Don't worry, I am sure there is a plan in place that is looking after the long term interests of the club.

Support the team, and **** the cash rich big boys!! We will ride out this storm and be stronger for it!

I believe that our formation will change and we will not play with traditional wingers.

Regardless I would rather give Judge a chance on the right.

2 goals and a MoM performance for the reserves, outshining Andrews and Villaneuva. Maybe our failure to sign a right winger will be a blessing in disguise.

If there has been a failing during the transfer window, it is with shipping people out. We now have too many central midfielders. IF it is true that Stoke were offering for Mokoena, it was a major error not to have sold. I'm not sure that his stock will ever be higher - with Grella here, he won't get a game.

I guess we can still sign Fowler as he is on a free? If we sign him, I will join the revolt because we absolutely do not need any more crumby squad players.

The amount of drama queens here is overwhelming. It's worse than in the soap operas the missus watches.

Credit to the board and Ince for running a sound football club. Yesterday was the most sickening thing I witness in English football, and I'm glad we took no part in it.

Ill sum it up very briefly.

10 days ago I wouldnt have been overly-disappointed if we didnt sign a right winger, which I think is the only fault we can put at the door of the club for this transfer window. However, now I am. Reason being, the teams around us have strengthened quite a bit.

Namely Spurs, Man City and Villa. I feel us, Everton and Pompey will struggle a bit compared to last season.

Now the question is and I am sure the board would have discussed this yesterday. Is there someone we can buy with our "budget" of say 5-7 million pounds who would be able to change the overall equation when compared to the first pack of 3? I think not. Joaquin was never a starter. I believe only Lennon and Pennant were real choices and we turned down Lennon in the Bentley deal when we had the chance.

I cant see us making 5th or 6th this season but hope we can at least maintain 7th or 8th place.

You have to think that this window might be a defining moment in the Rovers' fortunes. The club has failed to replace Bentley, our best outfield player, and as pointed out, other teams appear to have overtaken us. However as serious a concern is whether Ince can get as much out of players such as Samba and Warnock as Hughes did. Hughes, for all the crap football last season, managed to get the team to get results the team didn't deserve. That's the challenge facing Ince and his staff.

You could well be right Paul , but as we all know its the time of rebuilding and you never put a roof on before the foundation and structure is in place.

Rovermatt - who is to say Rovers lack ambition - its not exactly a level playing field - the Premiership has ceased to become a competition except for rich man with pennies deciding who's dick is bigger than the other's. IMO Rovers are doing what Rovers neeed to do to ensure Rovers remain and if it means not being in the Premiership then so what - its no big deal. Acorns grow into Big Oak trees with a little care and attention - Rovers are as I see it slowly climbing that tree - a few branches may have broken and we have slipped, however we have not fell out of it (yet) but are currenlty swinging in an hammock - safe and cosy and possibly taking forty winks

TCJ - What is wrong in watching Rovers in the lower leagues - some of us have been there before.

Wow what a ridiculous over the top reaction. I was trying to think of something else to say but think that is pretty much it.

We have got the rest of the season yet, I don't see any reason to worry at all right now. The squad we have is good enough to cope, why can't we just sit and wait for some good players? Panic buying doesn't solve anything.

bob fleming

QUOTE (DingleBaiter @ Sep 2 2008, 08:32 )

piffle

Surely you can't be happy with the prospect of watching Bert or Reidy on the right wing for the next few months?! It's not as though Bentley left on Friday or anything. That position should have been addressed and should have had money thrown at it.

Still we shall see. Maybe Judge? Although it's a bit early to Judge Judge at the moment

Moved here from old Nicko thread

Not sure if I am reading this the right way Bobski , but I don't think DB is happy with the scenario- moreso that he is happy we haven't blown the money yet and there is a bit of an overreaction on here. Doesn't mean to say that he will e ahppy if we haven't resolved the problem after the January window.

Also, If I have , I am surprised of your reaction on this if you don't mind me saying.

IMO Judge is a very good player and is worth giving him a go - you know my feelings with Bert on the wing , especially MK1

Also, If I have , I am surprised of your reaction on this if you don't mind me saying.

Of course I don't mind you saying.

Two of our best players left. Friedel was replaced with Robinson which is fine with me. Bentley clearly hasn't been replaced (although I wouldn't mind seeing Carlos get a game out there). While I didn't want us to sign any old rubbish (obviously) that should have been a priority as far as I can see. We have no one who can play that role and asking young Judge to fill Bentley's boots is a massive ask.

It'll all come out in the wash, but at this moment in time it I can't see it as anything but a bad thing.

Still - we shall see!

Of course I don't mind you saying.

Two of our best players left. Friedel was replaced with Robinson which is fine with me. Bentley clearly hasn't been replaced (although I wouldn't mind seeing Carlos get a game out there). While I didn't want us to sign any old rubbish (obviously) that should have been a priority as far as I can see. We have no one who can play that role and asking young Judge to fill Bentley's boots is a massive ask.

It'll all come out in the wash, but at this moment in time it I can't see it as anything but a bad thing.

Still - we shall see!

Indeed.

As mentioned, its only my opinion but I really do feel Judge and Olsson have something to offer.

Judge, maybe not as an out and out right winger, but certainly a creative playmaker.

Olsson imo is certainly better as a left winger also and has pace and from what I have seen will go past a player unlike Pedersen.

We will muddle on, but I am confident we have enough in reserve to see it through.

Our position in January will tell the tale - but as you say ,'we shall see'

Lets get things into context here. Agreed the incomming signings during the window hardly lit things up - certainly no big name signing. But why oh why do people feel the need to press the panic button before there is need to? We are three games into the season and already we are doomed to a relegation fight, going to be ripped apart by most clubs inside the top then and long term football obscurity is on the horizon. Why dont we just wait and see what happens then react to it accordingly. If we are in the bottom six at Christmas, fine, lets get upset, lets make our feeling known to the club then. Equally, if we are in the top ten at Christmas we will be reasonably happy (oh no, sorry this is Rovers fans we are talking about - we'll still be moaning).

I'm all for people raising their concerns if thats all it was, but a lot of stuff that gets written is totally over the top and more importantly based upon nothing other than peoples speculative thoughts of what may or may not happen. You don't go raging into your boss saying that your pay rise due in six months time is not as much as you were expecting when you haven't even seen whats offered do you. You might discuss what it may or may not be but you dont resign yourself to the fact you will infact be offered a pay cut! So why do it in this situation!

On the players we did bring in:

Grella:- For me its too early to tell. When I've seen him play before hes looked half decent. He looked a little out of his depth to me at WH on Saturday but TBH throwing him straight into a Prem game at Upton Park two days after signing was not a good idea - certainly not one of the managers best decisions to play him. This guy has spent most of his career in Serie A and will certainly need time to adjust to the Prem. The jurys out on this one.

Villaneuva:-

Good Signing, looks like he could be a very good player if he gets his chance.

Andrews:-

Go to hold my hand up on this one. I thought at the time this was an awful signing, but, not wanting to judge someone after 45 mins footaball he looked good against WH on saturday. Certainly not out of this depth in his first prem outing.

Bunn:-

No comment

Robinson:-

Decent bit of business. Certainly not Brad at this stage but could be gooc in time.

On the playes we didn't bring in:

We all know we needed a right winger to replace Bentley. We are all gutted we didn't get one. But, to the people who spouting off about this please feel free to give us a suggestion of who exactly you think we should have bought (and be realistic - someone that was available for a price that reflects their ability and would be willing to sign of Rovers). The clock will be ticking and you'll struggle to find an answer - just like the transfer window clock was ticking and Rovers had the same problem!

Lets get behind the team and manager over the comming weeks and see what happens.

Guest Kamy100

The Lancashire Telegraph reports from John Williams that we involved in a major transfer but it broke down at 10pm. Willaims also confirms that they spent yesterday fending of a sustained effort by a club to sign one of our players.

Disappointing that we didn't get a replacement for Bentley, but it also important that we get the right player.

Archived