BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] World Cup Qualifiers 2010

philipl

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ireland didn't win though, it was a draw. While I'm at it, they added that whatever the result, my slip was 'corrupted', so I couldn't have won any money. On top of this they won't be refunding me, as the event has been and gone. I shall be pursuing the matter. As a student, 20quid is a HUGE amount! Fair to say I won't be using Coral again.

Nonsense. It doesn't matter what state your slip comes back into the shop (god only knows what some people do with their betting slips, it isn't worth thinking about) it will be on their system and they will pay out.

As for the rest if you've written 'Ireland WIN' and that is it, then you have won no matter what the odds they've written on it. All football bets are for 90 minutes only unless specifically stated (and if they have written the odds on wrong it is their problem).

If YOU'VE written 'Irish win (any score, any circumstance ON AGGREGATE)'i.e. to qualify then you've lost.

And as someone has already said, you shouldn't bet more than you can afford to lose :)

Ireland didn't win though, it was a draw. While I'm at it, they added that whatever the result, my slip was 'corrupted', so I couldn't have won any money. On top of this they won't be refunding me, as the event has been and gone. I shall be pursuing the matter. As a student, 20quid is a HUGE amount! Fair to say I won't be using Coral again.

YOU SHOULDNT GAMBLE THEN YOU BLOODY TAX DODGER

Watching Marseille v Paris St Germain earlier tonight, at half time Canal+ showed a report of the reception the Algerian players got on returning from their victorious play-off against Egypt (on neutral ground in Sudan). The context is that in the final group game away in Cairo, the Algerian players coach was badly damaged and 4 players injured by mobs chucking bricks. Egypt won that 2-0 meaning a decider had to be played on neutral ground.

The whole clip is worth watching, but if nothing else, watch from 5 mins onwards, and look out (at 5:38) for the guy in a Rovers shirt outside Agiers airport in the crowd welcoming their heroes home. The biggest national celebration since independence according to the commentary.

That's what playing in the finals is all about, and it's restored my own enthusiasm for the forthcoming trip to Cape Town next June, which was badly dented by the cheating French earlier in the week. The Irish fans will be sadly missed, but bring it on anyway.

You tube - well done Algeria

Apparently the Egyptions and the algerians have got a lot of previous.

The Algerian team doctor got his eye gouged out by a broken bottle after a previous encounter.

Maybe the handball was a rush of blood, a moment of madness, but the real cheating was not telling the referee.

• Backroom

Watching Marseille v Paris St Germain earlier tonight, at half time Canal+ showed a report of the reception the Algerian players got on returning from their victorious play-off against Egypt (on neutral ground in Sudan). The context is that in the final group game away in Cairo, the Algerian players coach was badly damaged and 4 players injured by mobs chucking bricks. Egypt won that 2-0 meaning a decider had to be played on neutral ground.

The whole clip is worth watching, but if nothing else, watch from 5 mins onwards, and look out (at 5:38) for the guy in a Rovers shirt outside Agiers airport in the crowd welcoming their heroes home. The biggest national celebration since independence according to the commentary.

That's what playing in the finals is all about, and it's restored my own enthusiasm for the forthcoming trip to Cape Town next June, which was badly dented by the cheating French earlier in the week. The Irish fans will be sadly missed, but bring it on anyway.

You tube - well done Algeria

Nice vid, noticed Camel Ghilas in there as well, still think he looks a decent enough player.

I'd say so yes

I'd agree too. Slow-mo is usually deceptive, making it appear that the thought process was applied over a longer period of time. But the whole thing happened a lot faster than that. Plus, I actually think that the ball hitting Henry on the arm initially would have induced the second reflex action to handle the ball.

That doesn't exonerate Henry though, because he deliberately deceived the officials by wheeling away to celebrate as if the goal were legitimate.

Maybe the handball was a rush of blood, a moment of madness, but the real cheating was not telling the referee.

If he did tell the referee then it still wouldn't have made a difference. the goal still would have stood. I remember when Robbie Fowler done something similar, he even told the referee that it wasn't a penalty, but the penalty still stood, so he knocked the ball straight to the keepers hand. Fair play.

If France allowed Ireland to score another goal then that would've meant Ireland going through on away goals. The officials are the ones that need blaming.

I don't care what people say about Henry, he is STILL a legend in the English game for his time at Arsenal. I think it was instinctive but he did handle it and the goal should not have stood. Others players have done it in all sorts of games. It happens virtually every match if we're honest. It's just that this was SO high profile. Should the game be replayed? No. If every time a player cheated and the result was a goal, it then comes out in the press or on video and a replay is decided then we'd be replaying games all year. What happens in the most high profile games, top international games, should happen in the lower leagues.

(I'd love to see a replay though)

• Backroom

It happens virtually every match if we're honest. It's just that this was SO high profile.

Isn't that the point, though? Unlike games in the lower leagues, Henry's handball cost the Irish economy a ton of money (and gained the French an extortionate amount). A match deciding whether a country qualifies for the world cup goes beyond football, and beyond the lower leagues or even the premier league. A match in the premier league may cost a certain team a lot of money if their standings are affected, but it doesn't cost an entire country money.

That said, Ireland still only have themselves to blame for not wrapping up the match beforehand. They had plenty of chances.

Isn't that the point, though? Unlike games in the lower leagues, Henry's handball cost the Irish economy a ton of money (and gained the French an extortionate amount). A match deciding whether a country qualifies for the world cup goes beyond football, and beyond the lower leagues or even the premier league. A match in the premier league may cost a certain team a lot of money if their standings are affected, but it doesn't cost an entire country money.

That said, Ireland still only have themselves to blame for not wrapping up the match beforehand. They had plenty of chances.

I agree that it hast cost the Irish a lot of money. It was going to cost whoever lost the match a lot of money. The fact it was won by the most dubious of goals is neither here nor there in the end. The Irish had their chances. If they'd scored that goal themselves would they be asking for a replay? The truth is that cheating happens but that does not make it right or acceptable, so then you look at how to stop cheating and the technology has been there for years. The true fault, therefore, is the officials and Fifa in the long run. They're the ones who've cost Ireland a lot of money in this match by not introducing technology. It has to happen in the long run and they've avoided doing something about it for too long...

• Backroom

I agree that it hast cost the Irish a lot of money. It was going to cost whoever lost the match a lot of money. The fact it was won by the most dubious of goals is neither here nor there in the end. The Irish had their chances. If they'd scored that goal themselves would they be asking for a replay? The truth is that cheating happens but that does not make it right or acceptable, so then you look at how to stop cheating and the technology has been there for years. The true fault, therefore, is the officials and Fifa in the long run. They're the ones who've cost Ireland a lot of money in this match by not introducing technology. It has to happen in the long run and they've avoided doing something about it for too long...

I agree completely, as I posted earlier, the Irish should never have allowed France to be in the position to cheat them out of a win. They should've finished them off in the first 90. Ireland weren't going to score in extra time and I think France would have done them on penalties.

Still, the reason there's a lot of hoo-ha over this, particularly with the Irish/French Governments, is because of the monetory aspect. The "fair play" stuff has been debated for years, nothing ever gets done.

If he did tell the referee then it still wouldn't have made a difference. the goal still would have stood. I remember when Robbie Fowler done something similar, he even told the referee that it wasn't a penalty, but the penalty still stood, so he knocked the ball straight to the keepers hand. Fair play.

Didn't somebody score the rebound from that penalty? He certainly didn't tap it down the middle or deliberately put it wide.

Didn't somebody score the rebound from that penalty? He certainly didn't tap it down the middle or deliberately put it wide.

Yeah I think it was McAteer that scored from the rebound because Seaman failed to hold on to it. Nevertheless, it got him the Fairplay Award from FIFA that year. But what I'm trying to point out is that even though he was honest the penalty was still given. What would have happened if Henry owned up to it on the pitch and went up to the referee claiming he handled it? Nothing.

Yeah I think it was McAteer that scored from the rebound because Seaman failed to hold on to it. Nevertheless, it got him the Fairplay Award from FIFA that year. But what I'm trying to point out is that even though he was honest the penalty was still given. What would have happened if Henry owned up to it on the pitch and went up to the referee claiming he handled it? Nothing.

Wouldn't it have been down to the discretion of the referee though? I don't know the answer btw, just thinking out loud. Referees have changed their mind based on the say-so of an assistant before. Surely it is up to the individual referee whether the testimony of a player is enough to reverse a decision?

Wouldn't it have been down to the discretion of the referee though? I don't know the answer btw, just thinking out loud. Referees have changed their mind based on the say-so of an assistant before. Surely it is up to the individual referee whether the testimony of a player is enough to reverse a decision?

That is why I was referring back to the Fowler incident. The referee did not change his mind then, so whose to say the referee would have changed his mind now. The official or the linesman should have seen it and blown the whistle. I firmly believe that the finger should be pointed at the officials and not Henry.

Just a couple of points.

1. FIFA Fair play........

Fair Play is defined by F.I.F.A. very extensively; "Winning is without value if victory has been achieved unfairly or dishonestly. Cheating is easy but brings no pleasure. Playing fair requires courage and character. It is also more satisfying. Fair Play always has its reward, even when the game is lost. Playing fair earns you respect, while cheats are detested. Remember: it's only a game. And games are pointless unless played fairly".

I'll bet they make a big do of that 'Fair play' jobby in SA. <_<

2. Whats Platini's stance on this? I've heard and read nothing from him which is odd cos he does rather like the sound of his own voice. Or is he just reverting to the typically French trait of being underhand? <_<

You feeling alright Matt? That is ENGLANd you are praising there albeit somewhat back-handedly... :lol:

Got to admit to feeling the same. I wouldn't usually support them, but with the huge backing for Ireland from the English media and fans, if England were to play France, I would want them to give the French a right doing! :rolleyes:

This might be a little belated, but to comment on the France/Ireland incident I have to concur with Roy Keane's stance. He made a pertinent point about Ireland winning an absurd handball incident against Georgia in the Qualifiers, and scoring the resulting penalty. We didn't hear the IFA concede a rematch for that blunder. What goes around comes around, and unfortunately these things happen.

Archived