BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Credit Crunch To Hit Football?

Just read the decision on Southampton- if they get enough points to stay up they take the ten point hit now. If they don't it is held over to next season in League one. Ouch.

As Southampton's parent company is administration, it set me thinking that West Ham's parent company is in administration as well.

Southampton don't have clever Trevor Brooking doing insider dealings with the F.A.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Southampton don't have clever Trevor Brooking doing insider dealings with the F.A.

Nor are they in the premier league which is our football showcase. It's ok to let clubs flounder and punish them once they've left the promised land but the look of the premier league as a land of prosperity has to be maintained.

Nor are they in the premier league which is our football showcase. It's ok to let clubs flounder and punish them once they've left the promised land but the look of the premier league as a land of prosperity has to be maintained.

The FA run the Premier League, The Football League run the other divisions. Different administrations, different rules.

The FA run the Premier League, The Football League run the other divisions. Different administrations, different rules.

Yes, I believe "an act of insolvency" results in a 9 point deduction under Premier League rules.

Congratulations to Alistair Darling on doing his bit for English football in yesterday's Budget.

Hopefully the galactico mercenaries currently playing for ManU, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City et al will resent paying 50 per cent tax and more on their earnings and leave for Italy and Spain creating a more equal competition for the rest of us.

Yours truly well ahead of the game as per usual. Wenger obviously read my post before speaking out. :lol:

Making the following comments look particularly stupid.

So increasing taxes will get rid of 'the foreigners'?

'British jobs for British footballers' :rolleyes:

Thus spake Commissar Jimski.

Jim's too busy limping along with the Nu Labski lame ducks to appreciate such insight Mckenny.

Economics GCSE students have more foresight than these 70's throwbacks LF. I thought they'd all been consigned to history with Michael Foot's donkey jacket.

For pity's sakes.

That's such an obvious wind-up it doesn't even need rubbishing.

The value of sterling has collapsed, talent will be driven away by the new higher tax rate (which is a piddle in the ocean compared to what needs to be done to correct the enormous public sector borrowing requirement we now have), but all is well within La-la-labour land.

Are you Alastair Campbell's new mouthpiece?

What next, how increasing VAT will save British business?

Southampton might collapse next week. Apparently overtures to the non-league structure are already being made.

With Portsmouth in debt by zillions and in a crap stadium and Soton in a top stadium but beating them to bankruptcy by a short head I'd say that the way forward for those two is obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse. Just forget the initial objections from a few gormless but influential football luddites within the cities and get on with it. Somewhere down there is a potential football giant.

btw ditto in Sheffield.

Guest Vinjay606

How many death threats has Lowe (and his cohorts) received from Southampton fans then?

With Portsmouth in debt by zillions and in a crap stadium and Soton in a top stadium but beating them to bankruptcy by a short head I'd say that the way forward for those two is obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse. Just forget the initial objections from a few gormless but influential football luddites within the cities and get on with it. Somewhere down there is a potential football giant.

btw ditto in Sheffield.

So what would they call a Sheffield merger then since I expect Wednesday would object to the United tag.

How many death threats has Lowe (and his cohorts) received from Southampton fans then?

So what would they call a Sheffield merger then since I expect Wednesday would object to the United tag.

Sheffield Wednited or Sheffield Uniday ;-)

A merger of Southampton of Portsmouth must be........................ Southmouth.

Those two sets of fans hate each other with a vengeance and a merger is no more likely to happen as one between Rovers and Burnley.

You really should drop this issue of mergers ; you're making yourself look silly.

Citeh of course.

A merger of Southampton of Portsmouth must be........................ Southmouth.

Those two sets of fans hate each other with a vengeance and a merger is no more likely to happen as one between Rovers and Burnley.

You really should drop this issue of mergers ; you're making yourself look silly.

'Southmouth' Very good. ..... Nice to see you are getting on board with the future Jimski.

Sheffield Wedge Eejit - because they'd have loads of cash, but only a fooklin numpty would bother to switch allegiance to support em.

Are there any examples of (major) clubs merging successfully? I think not... I wonder why? Perhaps the ordinary man in the street isn't so daft after all...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not saying all headlines are true but coming on the back of the Stanley news it's clear that none of us have a pot to p1ss in have we?

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_...-name_page.html

Course no matter how unpalatable we all know the only way forward don't we? We need a large spoonful of sugar to kick start it all.

Setanta are reported to have missed paying their instalment to the SPL when it fell due.

There are lots of rumours circulating about Setanta- the only doubt is how deep their troubles are.

If they fold, Rovers' share of their contracted payments to the PL is about £3m this year.

Philipl, you seem updated.

You have any clue about how big or small the other PL teams' transfer kitties are? Anybody with a lot of spending power and anyone with nothing?

Invariably I get flamed whenever I offer an informed guess.

This summer is more difficult than most but here goes:

Man U- as far as I know will be limited to £25m to £30m net max because of needing to pay interest. The huge issue for them is whether they can re-schedule two huge debts. One of around £250m which carries the ability of the hedge fund to appoint enough directors to control the board in April 2010 if nothing is done about it and a tranche of around £80m which carries an 18% rate of interest. Compared with that, who Ferguson buys and sells is small potatos.

Liverpool- ??? They have £350m of debt to reschedule this summer and have already negotiated one extension on the largest eleent of that debt and been told no more. Will Gillett buy out Hicks if the sale of his American sports interests go through? Will Hicks magic something up? Are Hicks and Gillett secretly still buddies and are going to turn round and stuff their tormentors? Will somebody give Gillett and Hicks the £200m profit on Liverpool they think they are worth. Manwhilst Raffa is doing a good impression of Nero.

Arsenal- I think could push the boat out. Their interest rates on the Emirates are low and could have fallen with the drop in interest rates generally. Whether Wenger wants to spend £30m+ net is an open question.

Chelsea- £50m minimum plus more for a marquee signing if they can grab one.

City- they got through £100m last season so expect the same this season with extras for a marquee signing if anyone is daft enough to talk to Mr Cook after the Kaka cock-up.

Everton- will plea poverty but no doubt will find another £20m-ish from down the back of a stage set somewhere

Villa- probably another net £30m to spend

Sunderland- new owner, new manager so you've got to be looking at a net £25m+ I would imagine

Stoke- owner is rich and getting richer plus they beat all expectations by finishing 12th so they probably have about £15m spare cash from operations (benefit of having still got the basis of a Championship cost base). Don't be surprised/horrified to see the Potters spending as much as £30m.

Spurs- were going to be net nil but the slump means building the new WHL is costing them £40m less than expected. Perhaps £20m net this summer?

Fulham, Bolton and Wigan- are all dependent on whether their owners/benefactors have a mood for splashing out or not. Suspect Fayed will, Hemmings a bit and Whelan is anybody's guess but he has to keep a new manager happy. So let's say £10m net from each of those three.

Hull- like Stoke still have the basis of a Championship cost structure so probably in for £10m net.

Wolves and Brum- early indications they might have £10m net each

Rovers and Burnley- £5m net each?

Pompey and West Ham- ???? no new ownership= risk of administration. New owner, who knows what they might spend.

Archived