BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle United Preview

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kamy100

Great result and a relief to be out of the bottom three and still have a game in hand.

First half was very poor and Rovers looked a yard short, it was Newcastle who looked the more composed and was worried.

Second half was superb, for me it was when Grella came on that the game changed, suddenly we started to get a grip of the midfield and was very impressed by the way he read the game, he is exactly the type of player we need and if he can stay fit that'll be very good for us. I though that Benni (who now looks very committed) and Roberts worked very well and once we started to get service to them caused the Newcastle defence all sorts of problems.

My reading off the Roque booing was that when he came on fans wanted to make him aware that they were unimpressed with the comments that he had been making in the press once that point had been made fans backed him as he was wearing the shirt and seemed committed as ever.

Well done to all, out of the relegation zone and lots of hope that we can build upon this and start to move well clear off trouble. The only note of caution is that this year survival is going to require more that 40 points due to teams taking points of each other and the league not having any real whipping boys (ala Derby etc.)

My opinion is:

First half poor, second half a lot better. Grella looked very good, and Dunn looked lively when he came on. Emerton was a lot better when he got pushed to right back, as some of his attempted crosses were rubbish. I didn't boo Roque because I don't think that'd help anybody. I loved hearing the Newcastle chants basically saying Sam was @#/?...funny they didn't sing that after we scored! If we can get a decent right midfielder then a partnership of Dunn and Grella looks very promising (injuries permitting). Really pleased both Benni and Roberts scored.

My reading off the Roque booing was that when he came on fans wanted to make him aware that they were unimpressed with the comments that he had been making in the press once that point had been made fans backed him as he was wearing the shirt and seemed committed as ever.

That's my opinion of it too Kamy,spot on.

The first half was very poor. Second half we came out with more intent the injury to Samba proved to be a blessing in disguise because it meant Emerton was moved back to RB his best position in my opinion. He was having a bit of shocker at RM first half, crossing was absolutelyterrible. At the back we looked quite comfortable the only danger came from a couple of headers one of which was well cleared of the line by Andrews.

The introduction of Dunn and Grella improved the team's performance massively. Grella's first contribution was to play in a superb cross which looked to be heading staright onto Benni's head until he was bundled to the floor. Looked like a 50/50 penatly to me you'd say it was harsh if it was against your team but you'd be sceaming for it if it was for your team.

Once we got the first goal we took total control of the game, the midfield which seemingly was non-existent in the first half played some good stuff at times and toally dominated the Newcastle midfield. Pedersen inparticularly had a fantastic game, that pure piece of skill to bring the ball down and wrong foot the defender was brilliant, he also grapped a well earnt assit for the third goal which was a lovely team move. Dunn with a little bit of trickery on the wing took it past two Newcastle players before laying it into the pat of Andrews who played a well weighted pass towards Pedersen who crossed it for Roberts who grapped his second goal of the game. But without doubt the best finish of the game was from Roberts for the second goal, why can't he finish like that all the time?

Ooijer and Nelsen looked assurred at the back and never really gave Owen a sniff of a chance. Duff looked a shadow of his former self although he wa splayed out of position I noticed, gave the ball away numerous times based on today's performance I'm glad we've got Morten. I also saw Barton being pulled away by one of his teamates seemingly shouting abuse at someone after the third went in, thought I might have missed a Ricardo Fuller moment.

The Newcastle supporters' I just find hillarious, Kevin Keegan this, Ashley Out that. Maybe if they weren't so hateful about people at their football they might get somewhere. After all they forced out Big Sam and look at the job he's doing for us now.

It certainly feels good to see us out of the relegation zone and see Bentley's 'Big Four challenging' Spuds bottom.

Couldnt make the first half due to my other game but this is the first time this season I've thought now we eventually look a team thats equiped to do well for the premiership.

Grella and Dunny looked superb and certainly took the game to Newcastle, the second half looked very entertaining indeed, now theres me not an Allardyce fan in the first place and far from complimentary about Dunny, so long may that type of performance continue at Rovers, if so, I, along with many others will be a very happy fans.

Arte et labore- by skill and hard work

Not a negative comment, but just hope the players as well as the fans don't get carried away by the victory. If you look at the table more closely we are only a point off bottom. Things can change drastically in one game week, so we really need to start building a gap away from the bottom 3. Ideally, a victory VS Bolton and Boro', will hopefully, see us climb the table.

Good second half performance. 1st half was very rusty, but most the players hadn't played a game in 3 weeks so I'm putting it down to lack of match practice. All in all a great weekend results wise, just hope this continues.

Ratings:

Robinson - 7. Did everything asked of him, kicked well and commanded his area the best I have seen this season. Great to see him having the confidence to come and hammer the ball away after Andrews had headed off the line.

Warnock - 7. Did his job and put in some good last ditch tackles. Didn't get forward as often as usual, which was probably a good thing as it helped Pedersen.

Nelsen - 7. Was very dodgy with his kicking in the first half but improved as the game went on. A solid performance.

Samba - 7. Did what was expected of him for the time he was on. Was clearly a worrying injury.

Ooijer - 7.5. Handled Duff well and Owen too when he moved to Centre Back. A steady eddie performance. Terrible crossing at times though.

Emerton - 7. One terrible cross in the first half which was just head-in-hands bad. Did much better in the second half bombing down the line and linking up with Grella, drawing two defenders into the corner before laying it off for Grella to whip in for the penalty.

Pedersen - 8. Pedersen of old. Attacking, tackling, passing and skill were all clearly evident today. He linked up well and got some great crosses in. Linked up superbly with Andrews for the third, smashing it low which meant a goal, be it Roberts or an own goal, seemed inevitable.

Tugay - 6. He was poor today. He began to look his age a little. Too slow on the ball and too many misplaced passes. Perhaps the wrong game for him.

Andrews - 7.5. First half, like most of the team, he was sluggish and a little bit anonymous. In the second half with Dunn and then Grella alongside, he was terrific, harrying Newcastle players off the ball. Enjoyed his off the ball clash with Barton, whom he then helped to his feet. :lol:. Good running and a perfectly weighted pass for the third. A good performance.

Dunn - 8. Along with Grella, changed the game. Won us countless free kicks, his dribbling is Maradona esque at times. A sterling performance. He also looks a lot like a fat Jesus.

Grella - 8. Worked fantastically well with Andrews and Dunn. His tackling and break up play is terrific, which I already knew, but his range of passing is an added bonus. First touch was a great cross to McCarthy which won us the penalty.

Roberts - 9. Legendary. Who saw that coming? A smashing performance from the Grenadian. His first goal was sublime and he nearly grabbed himself a hat trick at the end. He might be unorthodox, but he can be devastating.

McCarthy - 8. Worked his arse off, won us a penalty which he tucked away under real pressure (the ball was blowing off the spot and looked as though it might veer away as he was running up). Held the ball up well and teamed up with Big Jase for a great second half extravaganza.

Cruz - 7. Wasn't on for long enough, but showed good touches, nearly setting up a Roberts hat-trick.

My first opinions on the penalty was that it wasn't one. But there was some form of contact and I suspect the huge, huge reaction of the fans caused Styles to point to the spot. Robert's second was sublime, he must be under some sort of jiggery pokery. The third was after great work from Dunn, who then slid it to Andrews who threaded it through to Pedersen, who duly smashed it across for Big Jase. As well as the penalty, I think Styles may have been influenced by the crowd for the sending off. He could have let it go and he was certainly taking his time talking to Butt, but I think the crowd reaction meant there was no other option. Butt probably won't get any form of punishment for kicking the ball at the referee, but if it had hit someone then I suspect that he would be facing an extended ban.

The substitutions changed the game. Dunn, Grella and Andrews dominated the midfield once the trio were playing together and we took full advantage.

A great 3 points.

Highlight was seeing the Geordies on the big screen at full time mouthing "Kinnear out!".

Big Sam's Blue and White Army!

Grella and Dunny looked superb and certainly took the game to Newcastle, the second half looked very entertaining indeed, now theres me not an Allardyce fan in the first place and far from complimentary about Dunny, so long may that type of performance continue at Rovers, if so, I, along with many others will be a very happy fans.

Arte et labore- by skill and hard work

Indeed, they were the difference. I've only seen Grella v Boro but that and today's performance tells me that he is a very good asset to the team and the type of player that we have been crying out for a number of years.

Dunny gave the Newcastle full back more trouble in the first 5 mins than Emerton had managed to do all match. Brett is quite simply NOT an attacking right winger!

Ratings:

Andrews - 7.5. First half, like most of the team, he was sluggish and a little bit anonymous. In the second half with Dunn and then Grella alongside, he was terrific, harrying Newcastle players off the ball. Enjoyed his off the ball clash with Barton, whom he then helped to his feet. :lol:. Good running and a perfectly weighted pass for the third. A good performance.

I'm sorry but that's ludicrous. Everyone is entitled their opinion but Andrews is at least 2 leagues above his level.

He simply failed to influence the game at all.

Watch football first and count his touches. You won't need your toes. :lol:

One important point about the clean sheets, all 3 of them in the League. Do you remember Robinson making any key saves to preserve those sheets? I personally dont. Our defending has been very solid preventing the opposition from testing our keeper as much as he was being tested earlier in the season. I still feel Robinson has a long way to go to replace Friedel, but hope that he gains confidence as we move along.

I'm sorry but that's ludicrous. Everyone is entitled their opinion but Andrews is at least 2 leagues above his level.

Yup. So why do you insist on saying I'm wrong. :lol:

You seem to be the only one who has this opinion too. Not seen SG194's yet though.

Indeed, they were the difference. I've only seen Grella v Boro but that and today's performance tells me that he is a very good asset to the team and the type of player that we have been crying out for a number of years.

Dunny gave the Newcastle full back more trouble in the first 5 mins than Emerton had managed to do all match. Brett is quite simply NOT an attacking right winger!

Grella is certainly a 'in your face' type of player which I think for most of us suits us Rovers fans down to the ground, hopefully he can stay clear of injuries and command a regular place in the team with that type of performance.

Certainly prefer Bret at right back rather than futher forward but he is an excellent player for the team that hopefully Sam will be able to blend him into a winning formula team were ever it may be.

Micheal Owen is still class though.

some people want him to fail

he did a job, seems like an unsung hero and i think you forget his clearance of the line which had one of the biggest influences of the game out of all of them. had we conceded first things could have been dreadful right now

A point about Andrews, Big Sam has managed us for four league games thus far and how many games/minutes has Andrews played?

If not all of them, then most of them.

He is an unsung hero and someone who I respect because:

1. He is a Blackburn Rovers FC player who gives 100% every time he plays.

2. Because he can play!! Look at the work he did for the 3rd goal for proof on that.

He is a good squad player and we paid £700K for him- a bargain.

Criticism is fine but to keep throwing the league 2 jibe in EVERY time he plays, good or bad is something unbecoming of a Rovers supporter.

A point about Andrews, Big Sam has managed us for four league games thus far and how many games/minutes has Andrews played?

2. Because he can play!! Look at the work he did for the 3rd goal for proof on that.

Criticism is fine but to keep throwing the league 2 jibe in EVERY time he plays, good or bad is something unbecoming of a Rovers supporter.

exactly

Exactly I don't know why everyone is getting on his back when he's doing alright, okay he is not Kaka but he has a good engine on him and is working hard for the team, no doubt Grella and Dunn will look like our best pairing but he is a good player to have around.

BFS obviously likes him, he's started all the league games I think and came on as a sub against Blyth, apart from City we haven't conceded so that's not bad with this joker playing is it ;)

the problem remains that he was Ince's man and some Rovers fans will not forgive for that. It is that simple. He could be the new Pele and they would still sya he was Crap

Well said imy9

He played well in the second half and his overall contribution and workrate today was really good. He made that goaline clearance in the first half, if that had gone in it could have had an impact on the result today.

Grella and Dunny (shocked at the beard :lol: ) were also superb today, if we can keep both these guys fit then it will be a huge boost for the rest of the season.

Both teams were average/poorish as far as the Premier League goes. Misplaced passes dominated the first half. FH their midfield outplayed ours but both were poor. Whilst Newcastle shaded the first half no real clear cut chances were created. Andrews did clear off the line.

The second half was the only thing of consequence in this game. Rovers showed invention and teamwork. Newcastle plodded on lacking everything. Only one team was going to win. Dunns introduction was going to lift the fans, it lifted the players but importantly he performed and looked the only truely quality player going forward. Grella replaced the abysmal Tugay (whose played wellish this season things considered) and suddenly Newcastle's mediocre/poor midfield was exposed.

For the barcodes the problems are severe. No money. Fans who chant any knee jerk tune attacking their own club, players and management. Players without confidence, without cohesion and ultimately who folded like a pack of cards because the dressing room problems are so severe.

6 Robinson - not the best keeper BRFC have had but steady. Best kicker, thrower I have ever seen.

6 Ouijar - little to do. Did what he does every week. Made sure we were tight. Played better at CH of course.

6 Warnock - committed. Didn't push on. Had to dive in one or twice and average distribution.

6 Nelsen - Dominant but he is a bit of a peg-leg pete. He can't kick the ball properly with either foot anymore.

6 Samba - Did what Samba does and within BSF new tight defensive arrangements, looks less error prone.

6 Emerton - Ran his socks off for the team. A leader. Poor distribution this week some times.

7 Pederson - Decided he was going to work the ball, take opponents on, showed good close control and good ball retention unusually. Good pro-zone stats for workrate and defensive duties as well.

5 Tugay - Out of his depth. Gave vital possession away a lot. Missed tackles. Sat too deep. His first touch deserted him and struggled to get to ball first.

6 Andrews. 5 for the 1st half, 7 for the second. Jekyl and Hyde. Not good enough to play there on his own. Chased around as much as Emo. Good touches. Really benefited from Grella and Dunns appearance which turned around his performance. Ran and ran and just knew he would lay the ball on perfect for Pederson.

6 McCarthy - tried and tried. He was blowing up after 30 minutes. Lost most chases for the ball. Needed the ball into feet. really struggling for fitness and pace. Great touch and commitment.

7 Roberts - Apart from Collicini his harassment of NUFC defenders was too much for them. Both goals required thankfully just one poke at the ball, the second goal a tap in, which helped.

8 Dunn - Changed the whole emphasis and direction of the game. Skill, workrate, astute decision making, picked up plenty of freekicks (including Butt RC)

7 Grella - Too good against a poor NUFC midfield. Can he do it against better teams? Helped Andrews and Dunn and considerably by injecting workrate and good ball retention which basically cut off any Newcastle hope of building up any momentum.

6 RSQ - Booed, then cheered, then cheered again! Moved around the pitch looking for the ball. Created one good move with good skill and effort only to produce a poor pull back for a tap in.

10 BFS post match interview got it absolutely right in his assessment.

Id say we played like a team who should finish 8th this season. NUFC played like a team who would finish on this performance 17th

Upside. When the second went in Rovers players confidence soared. End of match delight by all on the pitch highly visible.

Downside. Dunn, RSQ are so important to this club right now. Benni is playing out his last games unless he can get some speed and stamina back.

For all his critics,`spongebob` Andrews played well when Grella came on and played a couple of good balls into the box as the second half wore on,he also set up the move for the third goal too.I think a lot of whether he plays well or not is down to who plays alongside him.

First half, there were two relegation bound teams and Newcastle were the better.

Second half, Rovers were much better because of:-

1) Oojier moving to centre back and Emerton to right back

2) David Dunn

3) Vince Grella.

We now had a balanced side with two good midfielders. Grella was a revelation, not only breaking up play well but spraying weighted passes into the right parts of the field. Let's see more of him, please.

When RSC came on the young boo-boys behind me in the Riverside should be ashamed of themselves.

NEVER boo a man wearing the Rovers shirt!

3-0 :brfcsmilie: cockles of my heart have been warmed.

Archived