BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle United Preview

I'm sorry but that's ludicrous. Everyone is entitled their opinion but Andrews is at least 2 leagues above his level.

He simply failed to influence the game at all.

Watch football first and count his touches. You won't need your toes. :lol:

I decided to do just that........http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/4278163/Jason-Roberts-lifts-Sam-Allardyce-spirits-as-Newcastle-sunk.html

He made 35 passes at 77% accuracy. Only Warnock made more (44 passes but only 55% accuracy). Only Samba was more accurate (79%) but he only made 14 passes. No one won more balls than he did.

I don't think he had a great game but he did have an influence:

i) heading the ball off the line

ii) supplying a great pass to Pedersen in the build up to the last goal.

The lad deserves a fair go.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andrews is playing well. If he were any other player in the side no one would be questioning why he was playing. He isn't going to get snapped up by the big four anytime soon, but he is certainly capable at this level and for the price he was brought in for he has been a very good signing. I hope to see us to bring in better players in central midfield, but as a squad man he'll do his job.

Andrews was thrown in at the deep end when we were struggling and he didnt make it better, but made it worse. But he has settled in well, and looks more and more comfortable. Definitely not a starter in my eyes, but a decent squad man.

Grella, if he plays the way he did yesterday, and stays fit will play there with Dunn. What I like about Grella is he doesnt go for the easy ball and isnt afraid to keep the ball till he spots something.

The reason Andrews accuracy is high is he plays balls, largely, side-ways for 3 or 4 yards. Warnock always gives a pass forward and runs with the ball and that has to be taken into account.

A point about Andrews, Big Sam has managed us for four league games thus far and how many games/minutes has Andrews played?

If not all of them, then most of them.

He is an unsung hero and someone who I respect because:

1. He is a Blackburn Rovers FC player who gives 100% every time he plays.

2. Because he can play!! Look at the work he did for the 3rd goal for proof on that.

He is a good squad player and we paid £700K for him- a bargain.

Criticism is fine but to keep throwing the league 2 jibe in EVERY time he plays, good or bad is something unbecoming of a Rovers supporter.

Let's see how many minutes he gets now Dunn and Grella are fit though.

Face it...we were overrun in midfield until Grella and Dunn were on and the goal changed the game.

He can't get close enough to get a tackle in and when he does usually gives a foul away.

I'll get the stats from Prozone and get back to you.

I've never been a Sam Allardyce fan, always thought of him as a bit of a second hand car salesman. I do like the way he's setting up the team, his quick assessment of what needed to be done and the no nonsense put it in row Z defending. It's good to see that when we get the chance the ball is on the floor and we look to play football. Early days but I'm hoping Sam is not going to be all long ball, direct maybe but it's looking better thna I expected.

Indeed what people call 'long ball' I prefer 'direct football'. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a mixture and all good teams will play both. The complete dud that we had for the first half of the season would have had us passing squarely on the half way line until we invariably lost possession on the pretext of playing something called 'good passing football'. Well the best pass yesterday was for the second goal yesterday took about 5 seconds to get from Robinsons boot to the back of the net. Touble is that when we do it the press and media (and even our own supporters) moan about it being long ball, done by Arsenal or Man utd it becomes 'breathtaking football'.

Better than you expected Paul? Hmmm that applies better to Ince's time in charge in my opinion, how tf he got past the end of October as I predicted at the start I'll never know, and but for much sheep-like stupidity displayed by so many of the Ewood faithful Allardyce should have had the job the minute Hughes went.

We are still in deep sh1t without a doubt but at least we are unbeaten and are mightily disappointed to only have gleaned 8 out of 12 from the teams around us. Much sterner tests still to come of course but I can only think of one daft bguger (maybe 2) that would still prefer Ince to be here.

I'm just absolutely bloody delighted with the win. Not only was it emphatic in the end, but it finally began to look more like the Rovers team who know how to go out, battle for each other and scrap it out when needed!

The silver lining from that horrid dark cloud is beginning to peak out, and while we've still got a long way to go, its looking better than it has for some months now.

Andrews.

I have had a downer on him since he came, but I have been a little unfair, and he does seem to be finding his feet in this league. I wouldn't rank him as a first team player when everyone is fit but a useful bench player.

In my pecking order he is now ahead of Reid and Mokoena.

Did good enough yesterday for me albeit against a poor Newcastle.

Well done, Keith. Please keep it up.

Someone has to buy Dunn a razor.

That's a bit beardist Paul ;). Not sure the fans singing "come on Jesus" agree with you.

I agree with you re the first half. I thought we were all over the place in the first 15 minutes, unable to keep the ball at all, but we gradually seemed to get our act together as the half wore on, stopped Newcastle playing, got some possession and started passing. We still did not look like scoring but no way were we completely outplayed.

For the second goal my brother turned to me and said what's Ooijer doing at centre forward as Robinson played an innocuous free kick. Clearly it was a deliberate ploy to provide the extra man when Newcastle were not expecting it. Although Ooijer never touched the ball his presence upset the defence enough to give Roberts the chance. An example of Allardyce trying something new.

Took my seat saw the team and my first reaction was 'Subs bench looks as good as it had all season, at least we have options to change a game.'

Tugay and Andrews were getting bullyed out of the game by Newcastles midfield first half which caused the poor performance.

Thought Grella took 2 seconds to get the measure of Butt and the number 8 (who I thought was Barton) and from then on we played in their half with Grella patrolling the middle. Kenny Rogers helped a lot and really can beat a man, and it made Andrews less prone to finding himself in no mans land.

Barton didn't seem to fancy mixing it in midfield with Grella and decided to kick his full backs head in. Should have ha a go a Roberts - he is made of granite right?

Two things made me ashamed to be a Rovers/football fan yesterday - Booing RSC and those to who wanted Barton down here? - you should hang your heads in shame.

Two things made me ashamed to be a Rovers/football fan yesterday - Booing RSC and those to who wanted Barton down here? - you should hang your heads in shame.

In fairness Barton was right in blaming the mags full back for his half arsed attempt to run back and defend. The idle git was simply going through the motions.

In fairness Barton was right in blaming the mags full back for his half arsed attempt to run back and defend. The idle git was simply going through the motions.

Does that mean it's OK to kick off. He can't control himself, is a coward, stupid beyond belief and a bully. Why anyone though he was fit to wear our shirt is beyond me.

Just wondered if the KO highlights were taken off the TV while his probation officer has a look at them.

All Barton did was have a go at Enrique for not being arsed and letting Roberts jog past him. The Mags are slating Enrique for not bothering and Owen for being a lost boy.

Barton is actually getting credit from them. Calls for him to be captain as he was the only one who seemed to care.

Correct. It's fair to say that they should all have been having a go at Enrique.

All Barton did was have a go at Enrique for not being arsed and letting Roberts jog past him. The Mags are slating Enrique for not bothering and Owen for being a lost boy.

Barton is actually getting credit from them. Calls for him to be captain as he was the only one who seemed to care.

Well that confirms what I've always thought about them - Utter Numpties.

Whilst not being a "fan" of Bartons off the field behaviour there is NO DOUBT whatsoever about the skill and passion he could bring to a team and by team I mean our own Rovers.

Barton maybe the most despised footballer around for non footballing reasons but he could be the type of player that would flourish under a manager such as Sam Allardyce.

The plus sides overwhelm the negatives.

He can run, pass, tackle, he is box to box and can score goals from in and outside the box and he is not afraid to get stuck in and get other players playing their parts.

The negativity of his off the field exploits wont leave him just like they never left the likes of Savage and Keane.

I personally wouldnt have an issue if he wore our shirt and showed us the talent that was slo clearly obvious whilst he was at Man City.

• Backroom
I decided to do just that........http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/4278163/Jason-Roberts-lifts-Sam-Allardyce-spirits-as-Newcastle-sunk.html

He made 35 passes at 77% accuracy. Only Warnock made more (44 passes but only 55% accuracy). Only Samba was more accurate (79%) but he only made 14 passes. No one won more balls than he did.

I don't think he had a great game but he did have an influence:

i) heading the ball off the line

ii) supplying a great pass to Pedersen in the build up to the last goal.

The lad deserves a fair go.

This post is genius, well played sir well played.

Nothing to come back with on this one plastic head?

Whilst not being a "fan" of Bartons off the field behaviour there is NO DOUBT whatsoever about the skill and passion he could bring to a team and by team I mean our own Rovers.

Barton maybe the most despised footballer around for non footballing reasons but he could be the type of player that would flourish under a manager such as Sam Allardyce.

The plus sides overwhelm the negatives.

He can run, pass, tackle, he is box to box and can score goals from in and outside the box and he is not afraid to get stuck in and get other players playing their parts.

The negativity of his off the field exploits wont leave him just like they never left the likes of Savage and Keane.

I personally wouldnt have an issue if he wore our shirt and showed us the talent that was slo clearly obvious whilst he was at Man City.

He played a blinder yesterday did he? He is no way any better than even Andrews and wouldn't stay out of jail long enough to settle in! (Good review you gave earlier though!)

For me Barton is different to Savage and Keane. I certanly don't have qualms about most players playing for Rovers, if Diouf did a good job for us I wouldn't care, but I draw the line at Barton. The man is a different kind of vile and I could never cheer him on.

Seconded. The principle difference is that Barton is clearly and consistently violent. Hehasbeen given a number of second chances already and passed on them.

Incidentally I find it extremely unfair to Savage that he is compared to the likes of Diouf, Bellamy and Barton. I mean the guy was a bit of a wind up merchant but largely was very fair on the field of play and a decent man outside of football. He shouldn't get the stick he does.

Archived