BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Vs Villa Preview 7th Feb K.o 3pm

• Backroom
By the same token, Benni was shocking yesterday.

Hence why I would start Roberts and Roque next game to prove that they should start before him.

Ideally we would have all 3 on fire and fighting for the shirt, if Roque was to start regardless what impression does it give him? Carry on playing half assed and still start anyway?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why pay £2m+ for Diouf then have him on the bench for Andrews??

I understand that we haven't paid anything for Diouff yet.

Like Hughes was doing with us.........

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Sam will do it too given time and a fair wind over the next 3 months.

I was remarking all through the game Simon, that Villa won the vast majority of second, or 50/50 balls.

I've pointed out previously that they play a fantastic pressing game. They gave our lot very little time on the ball before they were being hunted down by 2 or 3 Villains.

Something that no one has mentioned yet but Sam needs to ask why our lot were slipping about so much? Was it just one of those things or had the Villa players been instructed to play in different studs? If so then that illustrates excellent attention to detail.

We been crying out for a right winger, we been crying out for a fit Dunny. Diouf should have played down the right, and Dunny should have started in the centre. It should have been Givet or Simpson at right back as well. I wasnt too fussed about Roque being on the bench, but those 3 positions should have been properly covered.

• Backroom

One other thing about yesterday, why are our players so hesitant to have a swing at the ball. A few times (one instance with Warnock in particulary) we had the ball in good shooting positions then try to take one more man on than is needed.

Sometimes its worth having a shot and we only really seem to have Dunny and Tugay willing to do so.

Am surprised at some of the posts on here matched up with Villa we seemed fairly similar with one big exception pace. Young,Gabby Agbon,they have a real threat thinking now we should have either gone in for Lennon/Pennant in this window as neither of our wingers except Diouf has pace. Apart from that the only thing they have are defenders who constantly foul and play dirty we are not a million miles apart except with their pace they use it to good effect first mistake was sitting RSC on the bench he would have been better starting as they have big defenders Roberts/McCarthy arent the biggest and this was not Roberts type of game as he got nothing from their centre backs hence him being subbed. At least with rocky/Benni up front Rocky would have won most of his headers but the major difference between the teams was that first goal our defence should have been aware of the short corner that is just bad defending then Pederson comes inside someone needs to tell him when you are asked to cover the post stick to that post like glue don't go moving around. I believe that first goal killed us and I would have expected to concede a poor goal like that in the Ince regime not under Sam but am sure he will work on that the 2nd was very lucky on Villa's part as it was a deflected shot on the break the difference between the teams was that first goal if we had kept it 0-0 till the 90th minute am sure we would have sneaked a draw not ideal but something. Peds needs a massive kick up the backside does nothing for 3 years then when we desperately need to take something even a point from as many home games goes walk about from his far post duties. On the plus side seemed as tho diouf gave us an outlet with a bit of pace on that wing & trickery here's hoping he starts next game on right wing and the defensive side of his game is also not bad apart from their lucky 2nd goal!

Interesting watching Man Utd today, who lined up with Ronaldo on the left and Giggs on the right.

I'd love to hear a manager explain this tactically, because there's obviously some common a thought amongst managers about the benefits of doing this...personally I can't see any.

Interesting watching Man Utd today, who lined up with Ronaldo on the left and Giggs on the right.

I'd love to hear a manager explain this tactically, because there's obviously some common a thought amongst managers about the benefits of doing this...personally I can't see any.

They (Ronaldo and Giggs) are set up to come inside the defender going clear centre on goal rather than going on the outside of the defender and end up putting crosses in reducing their chances of going on goal - excellent stuff from Ferguson hate to say it.

Did Giggs not show us that with his goal.

Not really.

Giggs scored his goal from the left wing, having just take a corner from that side. If anything Giggs showed us to put players on the 'proper' side.

True, but he did 'cut in' and go central obviously Giggs was more comfortable in his familiar position at that moment.

Ronaldo should have had a penalty when he cut inside Lucash though didnt watch the game just seen these two highlights.

True, but he did 'cut in' and go central obviously Giggs was more comfortable in his familiar position at that moment.

Well that's the thing about playing players on the proper side, they have the option of cutting or going on the outside...put players on the wrong side and they've only got one option really.

Well that's the thing about playing players on the proper side, they have the option of cutting or going on the outside...put players on the wrong side and they've only got one option really.

How much time did Giggs spend on the right side having seen the goal?

Maybe Ferguson obviously saw something in his wingers and West Hams defence that he could exploit, interesting to see Giggs execute the finish with his right foot.

Maybe he thought West Hams central defenders are slow to come out and support their full backs and thats an area he wanted to test.

In the end Fergies ended up with the desired result for him.

Ronaldo should have had a penalty when he cut inside Lucash though didnt watch the game just seen these two high lights.

Nonsense. Fouls have to be made inside the area and in this instance contact was well outside the area... also contact was made by Di Michele (?) and not by Lucas Neil.

Not really.

Giggs scored his goal from the left wing, having just take a corner from that side. If anything Giggs showed us to put players on the 'proper' side.

Absolutely awful defending. Giggs had half an acre to himself and then some numpty slid in from distance and deservedly was left for dead.

having watched the extended highlights again it has to be said that whoever the hell it was we bought grella off must be laughing at us. we really got mugged off, really wish he was only here on loan as we've no chance of recouping our losses on him. an out of position warnock is miles more effective as the guy makes tugay look mobile.

never buy from italy or buy italians, it has never worked.............dross :angry2:

After reflecting and reading this thread all I can say some points are valid and some are not.

1. Villa are a well organised outfit who play a certain brand of football which is effective. Rovers are usually a well organised team under Sam but are not as effective. Both teams tried to get the ball to the front players and play from there. The only difference is they do it with pace which is hard to defend, we do it as snail's pace. which to a well organised team is easy to defend.

2. Villa's players dive - yes they do go over easily but so has every MON team. I remember Emille Heskey as a teenager at Leicester before MON took over. He was one of the few players to give Colin Hendry a battering. MON takes over and any player within 5 yards he falls over. Villa are very good at all types of set pieces, hence two goals from them on Saturday, granted abley assisted by some very poor Rovers defending by Grella and Warnock respectively. Under Sam, Rovers are slowly becoming the same. On this point, Waggy is right but it is part of the modern game so we cannot condone it. Rovers have no pace so have to look for advantages they can gain. Unfortunately Roberts cannot play the part as 90% of the time the ref just laughs or gives a foul against him.

3. Rovers midfield is slow and Andrews should not be in the team- Rovers midfield is slow, but has been for years. With Grella, Tugay and to some extent Dunn, any team who passes and moves can get around them and when Rovers go forward every team can run back quicker than Rovers can get forward. The lose of emerton for the season exposes this even further. The inclusion of Andrews is only because he is a player who can run all day. He is supposed to be Grella or Tugay legs. He did well on Saturday to get back in the first half just after Villa's first goal but that was the only good thing he did all game. It was his worst game in a Rovers shirt but it won't be his last by any stretch of imagination.

4. The wide players were on the wrong sides. Can't argue they were but I suspect the reason for this was that MGP would give additional cover on Young better than Dunny would. To me that is giving the oppostion too much respect in terms of sacrificing your own teams attacking instincts over defending the oppostions. We should be giviing oppostion something to think about.

5. Forwards - Benni and Roberts are Rovers's best combination whilst RSC is Rovers best striker. It is something that Sam is going to have to work out what to do with. Does he stick with 4-4-2 then its Benni and Roberts or like Hughsie did a lot last season go 4-5-1 with RSC although obviously no Bentley. Problem with either is that for option 1 the forwards need better service than recievd on Saturday. If not Rovers' forwards look poor. Option 2 would require a midfielder like Carlos playing which I doubt Sam wants to do.

6. The Penaltys - the fact that Big Sam did not make a big song and dance about them, tells its own story. Anyway we'd have missed them .

Finally Rovers still look like the only team that do not pass and move. We pass and stand still. Easy to defend against. We won't play against as well organised sides as Villa every week and Sam will have learnt more about his team than is the previous time at the club. Shame it was just after the Transfer Window has closed.

It is going to be close.... very close but I suspect my beloved Rovers will survive. By the fact there is worse teams in this division rather than Rovers own ability.

Well, I can tell you what I understand, a right full back is normally right footed, likewise a left full back is left footed,

if you come inside the full backs as opposed to the outside, you have them on the wrong foot and are more prone to errors,

also in the right areas, you are getting into the box so inviting a challenge/foul!! also by coming inside, it is easier to attempt to curl the ball into the far post or play the dangerous diagonal ball accross the box!! this turns defenders and they dont like that.

2. Villa's players dive - yes they do go over easily but so has every MON team.

Went to the match with a Villa fan who embarrassed by his team's diving. They only start it when they get within scoring range and i think it's the fact that refs don't seem to have noticed this or if they have feel they don't have to do anything about it that annoys me most. we were beaten on saturday by a better team so why did they feel the need to go down every time one of our players breathed on them.

What sort of welcome did the great Brad receive?

I arrived after the teams had come out so don't know about the pre-match reception. For the second half he got a rousing reception from the BBE and was applauded by all left in the ground at FT.

I was snowed in and could nt make the game

What sort of welcome did the great Brad receive?

As he came to the Blackburn End at the start of the second half he got a great reception from all parts of the ground and he responded by applauding back. I think he was relieved at the end as he had a very easy game. Rovers were that toothless.

Archived