BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool Preview

• Backroom
Completely embarrassed by yesterday's pathetic shambles....

I'd like to add my name to those fans like Abbey, McClarky, Somerset Rover, Tris, LD Rover, Darrell H and RevidgeBlue, who in varying degrees were disgusted and embarrassed by yesterday's disgraceful and unacceptable performance.

The excuses don't wash with me. Yes, we had players out injured and I wasn't expecting to get a point at Anfield yesterday. I was however hoping that Rovers would at least put up a proper fight, battle for every ball and keep the score down to a respectable level.

I was sickened by what I saw. I could have accepted losing the match 2-0 if the players had put up a fight. But we didn't get that and what we saw at Anfield was yet another shambles alongside the 4-0 debacle against Arsenal last month.

In the space of less than four weeks our goal difference has taken a hammering of 8 goals from Arsenal and Liverpool. Does Sam Allardyce not realise the importance of goal difference? If, God forbid, on the final day of the season Premiership survival is settled by goal difference then Allardyce has only himself to blame for being totally inept against Arsenal and Liverpool and being unable to pick a team to fight and at least keep the score down.

Our record against the 'Big Four' of Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal this season is abysmal. No points from 7 matches so far and with Chelsea to come at Stamford Bridge in May. But I don't buy the excuses from Messrs Allardyce and Ince who have both tried to suggest that we can't compete over 90 minutes with the 'Big Four'.

Both Allardyce and Ince have effectively raised the white flag before games and indicated: "We can't compete." But if you compare our record this season against the 'Big Four' to that of our relegation rivals Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Sunderland, Stoke and Hull - those five teams all have a better record against the Big Four than us.

Middlesbrough beat Liverpool 2-0 at the Riverside Stadium in February and also drew 1-1 against Arsenal at the Riverside in December. 'Boro were only narrowly beaten at Anfield 2-1 from a goal by Steven Gerrard in the 4th minute of injury time.

Middlesbrough are 4 points better off than Rovers against the 'Big Four'.

Stoke have drawn twice against Liverpool this season - a 0-0 draw at Anfield and also a goalless draw at the Britannia Stadium. Stoke beat Arsenal 2-1 in November and also were a bit unfortunate to lose 2-1 to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge with a goal from Frank Lampard in the 94th minute.

Stoke are 5 points better off than Rovers against the 'Big Four' this season.

Hull City beat Arsenal 2-1 at the Emirates Stadium this season. Hull drew 2-2 with Liverpool at Anfield in December and drew 0-0 with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in Phil Scolari's last match.

Hull are 5 points better off than Rovers against the 'Big Four'.

Newcastle drew 1-1 with Man United at Old Trafford in the first game of the season. Newcastle also drew 0-0 with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in November.

Newcastle are 2 points better off than Rovers against the 'Big Four'.

Sunderland drew 0-0 with Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium in February. Sunderland also drew 1-1 with Arsenal at the Stadium of Light in October.

Sunderland are 2 points better off than Rovers against the 'Big Four'.

So frankly I'm getting rather sick and tired of the excuses both before matches and after matches suggesting that Rovers have no chance of competing with any of the 'Big Four' over 90 minutes.

It's a good job that Simon Davey didn't tell his Barnsley players in the FA Cup last season "We have no chance playing against Liverpool and Chelsea." Barnsley went to Anfield and won 2-1 and also beat a Chelsea side that played their strongest team at Oakwell.

Did Tony Pullis indicate to the media earlier in the season: "We have no chance of competing against Liverpool" ?

No - and his Stoke team fought like tigers for 180 minutes in both matches against Liverpool and came away with two 0-0 draws both home and away. Those two valuable points against Liverpool might well help to keep Stoke in the Premiership this season.

With Rovers I get the impression that we've raised the white flag before the players have even stepped out onto the pitch against the 'Big Four' this season and I find that attitude unacceptable. The message from the Rovers management that we can't compete with the bigger teams transmits itself to the players and they start to subconsciously think: "Why bother? We are going to lose this game anyway."

Incidentally Man United's 5-0 thrashing of Stoke at Old Trafford in November is the only time that Stoke have conceded more than 3 goals in a match against any other team in the Premiership this season. By contrast, Rovers have now conceded more than 3 goals in four different matches - twice against Arsenal, once against West Ham and once against Liverpool.

We've had too many thrashings this season and our goal difference is dreadful. God forbid that it might play a part in who goes down this season. Our 'aggregate score' of 0-8 against Arsenal is a worse record than any other team against Arsenal this season. So much for Big Sam being able to ruffle the feathers of Arsenal and stop them from playing. Rovers were a disgrace against Arsenal last month. Arsene Wenger's team haven't had an easier game at home all season than against Rovers.

Against Arsenal we conceded after just 2 minutes. Against Liverpool yesterday we conceded after just 5 minutes. Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. The message that Sam Allardyce should have been drubbing into the players loud and clear is that we need to keep things tight all over the pitch, don't give Arsenal and Liverpool an inch and we need to battle and fight for every ball as if our lives depended on it.

Either the Rovers players completely failed to carry out the necessary instructions or, as I suspect, the subconscious message given out to the players was that we're going to lose this game anyway, so let's just get it out of the way.

For the Rovers fans who pay hard-earned money to travel and watch the team it's a disgusting attitude for the players and management to have.

Can't argue with that, our record against the "big four" (five if you count two losses to Villa) this year is shameful. What happened to the fight we used to have against the big clubs? I accept that by now Sam is writing off these games, but what are our excuses for earlier in the season when these clubs trounced us? Major changes needed in the summer, and the players still here need reminding that we can get something from these big clubs, it's a case of belief and effort, both of which we have lacked whenever we've played a big club this year (except, maybe, the 2-1 against Utd at old Trafford... we were unlucky there but still lost).

I still have saved our 2-1 victory against Man Utd at Old Trafford some seasons ago, and our 4-3 victory over them in 2006... our current crop of players should watch tapes of these matches and those who were there should feel shame at what they've become, whilst those who were not should feel shame at the way they've played against the big teams this season.

Fwiw, this is how we lined up against Man Utd on 24/09/2005, when we beat them for the first time in 42 years at old trafford.

Friedel

Neill

Nelsen

Zurab

Gray

Bentley

Tugay

Savage

MGP

Dickov

Bellamy

Subs:

Enckelman

Reid

Mokoena(came on for Tugay at HT)

Kuqi

Emerton

Not a squad with a whole lot more quality than that which we currently have (when players are fully fit)... but they had a lot more heart. I wouldn't have thought in 2005 we'd be starting with Tugay & Mokoena in MC in 2009 :(

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so imagine that you were in Sam Allardyce's position ....... what solutions would you offer, what team would you have put out and in what formation? Rem criticising is the easy bit, finding answers is much more difficult.

btw "Abbey, McClarky, Somerset Rover, Tris, LD Rover, Darrell H and RevidgeBlue" are all free to join in.

Here's me joining in... I'm only a fan of the club, I don't get paid millions of pounds a year to put the team out to compete against the opposition put in front of us. I do see your point about keeping players fresh for the big game against Stoke etc. but surely - people are paying hard earned cash to go to Anfield to watch what? A game we've lost before we started? Think of the Blyth Spartans fans in our FA Cup game... do you think they went into it thinking they'd lost before the game kicked off? I hope not - if that's the case then competitive football is well and truly dead.

OK some random thoughts:

1) We have one fit forward. Would Benni have got any change whatsoever out of the Liverpool back four on Saturday? Would he have bruised them like Chris Samba did? Was it advisable to avoid risking our ONLY FIT FORWARD at Anfield on Saturday with our future not yet secured?

I think Sam got that aspect of the selection right.

2) How many goals have Real Madrid, Man U and Villa conceded against Liverpool in the past three weeks?

13 in total- that is 4.33 on average so we were below par for the course.

3) Liverpool's four goals- were they embarassingly bad goals to conceed or superbly taken?

At least when they show only the goal highlights, the goals look great. And for all the justified criticisms of the makeshift players not following the game plan, it was Nelsen and Samba whom Torres got much the better of for Liverpool's first two goals.

4) Think about Chelsea's 3-1 win at Anfield on Wednesday- that and Hillsborough a motivator for LFC or what?

Now think about Tuesday's return leg- Liverpool have no chance. Now ask Chelsea to defend that lead without

Mikel, Essien, Lampard and Malouda. No Drogba or Anelka either. Oh and Ballack and Deco are so unfit they shouldn't really be playing either.

Get my point?

5) Other than Villanueva (and Doran for being there), none of the stand-ins achieved anything. This is the second time Sam has sent a lot of second stringers out into an important game and they totally funked it and failed to carry out orders. (Coventry away the other that comes to mind)

It might reflect badly on Sam's motivational skills but I think one or two players have kissed their Rovers career good bye now.

6) Looking at the bigger picture, Rovers have over 50 people employed on the football side of the club. To get a non-performance like that with 6 injuries asks a big question about what a lot of those 50+ are doing. If Sam achieves his objective of an elite 18, then the chances are we could handle 6 absences better than the current set-up managed yesterday.

Wrong to play Samba as a striker...Thought that the visit to Liverpool should have been a goal stopping venture to halt our inferior goal difference which now might just c0st us... ..leaking 4 goals has done us damage..Andrews and Treacy were a very weak defensive link..Makes you appreciate Pedersons contribution to defending ...

Wrong to play Samba as a striker...

:mellow:

I know but as I think it's been pointed out RSC and Roberts are injured. :blink:

Benny up front trying to hold the ball up would have been catastrophic with no one to chase his flick ons and back heels, so who would you have played up top jc4lab if it had been your decision?

The thing that cocked us up was Torres flash of absolute genius and a bad decision to award a free kick against Andrews by Riley. We are a team of walking wounded and would have struggled in any eventuallity but who knows how we would have fared if we could have kept to 0-0 at ht and frustrated them?

Agree completely with Anti-Euro Smiths. Never have I seen a Season with such spineless abject performances against "so-called" BIG teams and to me what happened is not in line with the full meaning of Sport.

We were unlucky to be hit by such an early gem of a goal but the set up of the team was wrong for a fighting performance. Has Treacy ever been in a Rovers win (late sub in Fulham home win?) and midfield showed how little we have progressed in 5 years.

The empty seats for Rovers supporters gave the view of the normal blue-hot Away supporters. SAM-the Stoke City away result is the only way to answer the criticisms.

Players refuse to do what Big Sam was asking them to do:

http://www.tribalfootball.com/blackburn-bo...ructions-238197

“When your players don’t even try to implement the game-plan, that makes me angry," snapped Allardyce.

“We’ve got Stoke next week and I will make sure the players stick to the game-plan this time. They need to listen — that’s all they need to do. That’s what they are paid to do.

“None of those guys are ever going to be as good as I am at what I do because they are only players and I am the manager, so make sure you listen to me.”

So I think it is clear Sam expected his team to rattle Liverpool and give them a game, I think the players are going to be given a serious rollocking this week.

The game on Saturday was disappointing. Some players had their chance and wasted it. Liverpool were the better team and deserved the win, regardless of how rubbish we were. Time to move on. It all comes down to the games against the teams near us. Win at Stoke and we are pretty safe, a draw is not too bad and a loss is very bad news.

OK some random thoughts:

1) We have one fit forward. Would Benni have got any change whatsoever out of the Liverpool back four on Saturday? Would he have bruised them like Chris Samba did? Was it advisable to avoid risking our ONLY FIT FORWARD at Anfield on Saturday with our future not yet secured?

Like Samba was any better? He's an emergency striker. If he's playing up there, it should be with someone else to support him. Relegating our only fit striker was asking for a spanking. McCarthy is the type of player who can be anonymous for 90mins then pop up with a goal. That's the difference between getting something at Anfield and not. Samba will huff and puff by himself but, naturally, he hasn't got the predatory instincts that McCarthy has.

Also, why is it all our players have to be wrapped in cotton wool?

Like Samba was any better? He's an emergency striker. If he's playing up there, it should be with someone else to support him. Relegating our only fit striker was asking for a spanking. McCarthy is the type of player who can be anonymous for 90mins then pop up with a goal. That's the difference between getting something at Anfield and not. Samba will huff and puff by himself but, naturally, he hasn't got the predatory instincts that McCarthy has.

Also, why is it all our players have to be wrapped in cotton wool?

I'm absolutely convinced that if we had started with Benni up front on his own, we would all have been criticising that selection post match. Bennis can't play the lone front man with any kind of effect - fact, - so why should Sam start with him there?

Allardyce took a gamble, in a game that we couldn't win, with one eye on keeping our only striker fit for a game that we can win.

I'm not excusing that abysmal "performance" at all, but I can understand the gamble with Samba.

Players refuse to do what Big Sam was asking them to do:

http://www.tribalfootball.com/blackburn-bo...ructions-238197

“When your players don’t even try to implement the game-plan, that makes me angry," snapped Allardyce.

“We’ve got Stoke next week and I will make sure the players stick to the game-plan this time. They need to listen — that’s all they need to do. That’s what they are paid to do.

“None of those guys are ever going to be as good as I am at what I do because they are only players and I am the manager, so make sure you listen to me.”

So I think it is clear Sam expected his team to rattle Liverpool and give them a game, I think the players are going to be given a serious rollocking this week.

If that is true then Nelson has to be replaced as captain, thats the second time we have heard the Rovers players doing what they want.

If that is true then Nelson has to be replaced as captain, thats the second time we have heard the Rovers players doing what they want.

Garbage.

Where does it say that the players "refused" to do what they were asked? That's Imy's interpretation of it.

I'm absolutely convinced that if we had started with Benni up front on his own, we would all have been criticising that selection post match. Bennis can't play the lone front man with any kind of effect - fact, - so why should Sam start with him there?

Allardyce took a gamble, in a game that we couldn't win, with one eye on keeping our only striker fit for a game that we can win.

I'm not excusing that abysmal "performance" at all, but I can understand the gamble with Samba.

I wouldn't have played McCarthy on his own, but given the choice I would choose him over Samba. Liverpool knew immediately what to expect and ate Samba up. McCarthy has that bit of magic, and the ability to be in the right place at the right time.

And I'm sorry to say it, ad nauseum, but Carlos should have played (preferably behind Benni). Sam has been highlighting how we cannot afford to "carry" players, then starts a 38 year-old in midfield whose legs have run out of juice. He also contradicts himself by emphasizing set-pieces, but again overlooks the one player who can take them! Give the guy a run in the side. We're hardly bursting with midfield/attack options.

So Sam doesn't blame Samba for Saturdays shambles so says the back of the LET today????.......I should ruddy well hope not too :blink:

Sorry to say this but after a below par performance against Spurs and Saturdays horror show I'm afraid our bunch of under achievers need to wake up to the fact they MUST try and put 100% into EVERY game and Sam needs to put his size 10 up a few players backsides!

I'm firmly in the camp who think that our players can and must do better.

WE ARE A CLUB WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FIGHTING FOR OUR LIVES AND NOT SURRENDER MONKEYS FFS! :angry:

P.S.

I can only hope that link in your post is complete Bull OscarRaven as it sounds worring at best in our position.

5) Other than Villanueva (and Doran for being there), none of the stand-ins achieved anything. This is the second time Sam has sent a lot of second stringers out into an important game and they totally funked it and failed to carry out orders. (Coventry away the other that comes to mind)

It might reflect badly on Sam's motivational skills but I think one or two players have kissed their Rovers career good bye now.

6) Looking at the bigger picture, Rovers have over 50 people employed on the football side of the club. To get a non-performance like that with 6 injuries asks a big question about what a lot of those 50+ are doing. If Sam achieves his objective of an elite 18, then the chances are we could handle 6 absences better than the current set-up managed yesterday.

Although we won against Blyth a number of the fringe player were given a chance to show what they could do, but showed that they were not up to standard. I know that we possibly can’t attract the better quality young players that we did after winning the premiership something needs to be done in bringing them through from the academy. I herd that there was going to be an overhaul under Hughes but don’t’ know if it has been done.

It is a little worrying if some players are beginning to have the same attitude towards Sam as they did towards Ince. If they feel the tactics are bonkers, Samba up front etc they may lose the will to fight,or in some cases the ability. We are querying some of the team and positional choices, think how some of the players must be feeling. At the minimum it is pretty radical stuff for some of these poor dears.

Fwiw, this is how we lined up against Man Utd on 24/09/2005, when we beat them for the first time in 42 years at old trafford.

Friedel

Neill

Nelsen

Zurab

Gray

Bentley

Tugay

Savage

MGP

Dickov

Bellamy

Subs:

Enckelman

Reid

Mokoena(came on for Tugay at HT)

Kuqi

Emerton

Not a squad with a whole lot more quality than that which we currently have (when players are fully fit)... but they had a lot more heart. I wouldn't have thought in 2005 we'd be starting with Tugay & Mokoena in MC in 2009 :(

I'd argue our midfield in 2005 was far superior to our current one. Pedersen was playing well offensively, Bentley was starting to show the talent he possesses, Savage to break up and annoy the opposition midfield with Tugay to distribute it. Then you also had a pre serious injury Reidy who had a great season and was one of the main reasons why we finished 6th, two points off 5th.

We've been in decline ever since...

I'd argue our midfield in 2005 was far superior to our current one. Pedersen was playing well offensively, Bentley was starting to show the talent he possesses, Savage to break up and annoy the opposition midfield with Tugay to distribute it. Then you also had a pre serious injury Reidy who had a great season and was one of the main reasons why we finished 6th, two points off 5th.

We've been in decline ever since...

True, we've never replaced Robbie Savage, a leader in the middle of the pitch someone who could inspire the rest of the team, then theres Bentley never replaced, then theres an ageing Tugay never replaced, then theres MGP never replaced due to indifferent form.

Some pretty poor management from the club allround.

Garbage.

Where does it say that the players "refused" to do what they were asked? That's Imy's interpretation of it.

I think you need to read the quotes again, if Sam wants them do something and they did not do in the ENTIRE game, is that not refusing? or are they not particularly smart? Sam said that Robinson and Samba had been LET DOWN by their teammates, hardly a glowing reference...

Why did Sam say that he would MAKE SURE they would follow it on Saturday, by doing what exactly? Spelling out to them that he is the gaffer and they are paid to follow his instructions.

I think you need to read the quotes again, if Sam wants them do something and they did not do in the ENTIRE game, is that not refusing?

No. He's accusing them of not listening. Nowhere does he say they refused to implement his game plan.

Archived