BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool Preview

Really Bryan? Remember there are approx 88 other clubs in a similar situation to varying degrees. Save your ire for the Champions League, Johnny Bosman and Jimmy Hill.

Q for you....... Would it be better for BRFC and the supporters if Jack Walker had metaphorically kept his hand in his pocket? :rock:

Er ... no? That was an easy one.

Although it certainly elevated expectations.

But I don't think anyone expects us to win the Championship again, but having something to get excited about would be nice. Season after season of getting walloped by the big teams and buying our players from Happy Shopper really doesn't appeal.

It's all doom and gloom.

remember we are by some distance bottom of the spending league in the Premiership. Forget the fact that Forest Green Rovers have worse problems, if we want to stay in this division, we need to change our ideas. Or we might as well just give in, much like yesterday.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EXACTLY ! WE DONT DESERVE TOP FLIGHT FOOTBALL ANYMORE ,IF WE DONT EVEN TRY AGAINST THE TOP 4 THEN IM AFRAID WE SHOULDNT BE IN THE SAME DIVISION...I GOT WASTED LAST NIGHT AND HUNGOVER TO HELL AND IT STILL HASNT CHANGED MY MIND THAT YESTERDAY IS UP THERE IN THE TOP 5 MOST EMBARASSING DAYS IN MY LIFE AS A ROVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if we turn out with attitude of yesterday or the energy i cant see us getting more than 2 points.

A Liverpool fan at worked said that the Rovers team on show saturday was one of the worst teams ever to grace the premiiership at Anfield.

You just wouldnt put money on that side staying in the championship never mind the premiership.

There's a lot of nonsense being written in here by people who really are old enough to know better.

Look at how Sam approached the Man Utd away game when he had a relatively fit squad. Look at how often his Bolton team ruffled the feathers of the big teams, they'd regularly take points off the likes of Arsenal.

I simply can't believe people genuinely think Sam will approach tough games like yesterday when we have a fully fit squad, which leads me to wonder what the agenda of people inventing this rubbish is.

There's a lot of nonsense being written in here by people who really are old enough to know better.

Look at how Sam approached the Man Utd away game when he had a relatively fit squad. Look at how often his Bolton team ruffled the feathers of the big teams, they'd regularly take points off the likes of Arsenal.

I simply can't believe people genuinely think Sam will approach tough games like yesterday when we have a fully fit squad, which leads me to wonder what the agenda of people inventing this rubbish is.

Hear hear.

Ok, here's the plan for next season:

We'll need 12 wins and a handful of draws to stop up. Target the 6 games against the promoted teams; Bolton and Fulham home and away, and then the other 8 games at home versus non top 6 sides. Save our good players for those games. Do what we did yesterday (and at Arsenal and at Coventry) in the other games, and, of course, the cup games. It doesn't matter how many times we get walloped because those games 'don't matter as much as the winnable ones.'

If it works, most on here should be very happy

Exactly my point. Le Chuck I don't have an agenda of any sort, I'm simply appalled to see my club go out and lose a game before the KO. That is what happened yesterday and there is no hiding from it.

Given the state of the PL - no one but the big four has a prayer - these are the games we look forward to, that make the season. They are the games the club promote as part of the season ticket package. If the club want people to turn up and watch we have to know the team is going to try. That's all I'm asking. The PL is supposed to be a competition not a survival operation. If all we have to look forward to is survival what is the point.

Imagine the reaction at Ewood if the fixtures were reversed, Liverpool and Stoke at home. Do you feel it would be acceptable to put out that side, with the same attitude at home? Would you still suggest people who are unhappy have an agenda? If you are happy to go and watch your team perform with the attitude shown yesterday that's fine just don't ask me to accept it as right.

I hope Sam Allardyce is in charge next season, I have no agenda.

That's fair enough Paul, I can understand why people are annoyed about yesterday...I posted after the game it's worst I've seen us play for a long time.

What I don't get is people making out like this is what we can expect under Allardyce all the time, evidence suggests that yesterdays performance was purely circumstantial.

Guest Kamy100

Sam did not send out the team for it to fail the way it did yesterday. I think he was as shocked as anyone that they worked on things all week and come matchday the players totally forgot/did not carry out what they had planned. The injuries played a part but still the midfield in particular need to have a long hard look at themselves, to give a player like Alonso so much time and space is criminal.

Rightly in the interview below he has a go at all the players (apart from Robinson and Samba):

Sam: Not Good Enough

This is the same team that was getting battered BEFORE big Sam joined us under Ince against the big boys.

I agree there was little heart shown by the players but the emphasis is on the players, call me cynical but we had two players who will not be here next year in Ooijer and Aaron, are they really going to go in for 50/50 tackles knowing that they have not secured contracts for next year?

We had Robinson, Givet, Samba, Nelsen, Dunn, Grella and Warnock who I want to see at Rovers next year, all the rest can go, Big Sam must be wondering what he was left with by both Ince and Hughes, a major overhaul is needed at the end of the season but get some perspective people, we were FIVE points adrift of safety when Sam took over, we are now FOUR points CLEAR, that is some turnaround in the games that Sam has managed, cut him some slack.

Sam can be annoyed at the team but looking at the line-up yesterday it was hardly surprising.

Obviously we have limited/no options but how is Dunn meant to support Samba when he has mobility issues at the moment. It is clear Dunn is not fit enough to start games. Tugay has always been poor defensively, the amount of times Pool players just breezed past him was embarassing. We had no one in midfield prepared to get stuck in and work hard. Almost every time he has played for the first team, Treacy has been awful.

Could moan about more things but let's move on I guess. I just find it annoying to read reports of the game and descriptions of our performance - pitiful, Liverpool won at a canter, easiest game they will play all season etc etc.

We are (or are meant to be) fighting for our lives to stay in this league.

Guest Vinjay606

It really won't make any difference barring a miraculous change in policy. The only financial transaction involving them that will benefit the club is a takeover.

(Only mentioning it in this thread in response to the above)

Sam can be annoyed at the team but looking at the line-up yesterday it was hardly surprising.

Obviously we have limited/no options but how is Dunn meant to support Samba when he has mobility issues at the moment. It is clear Dunn is not fit enough to start games. Tugay has always been poor defensively, the amount of times Pool players just breezed past him was embarassing. We had no one in midfield prepared to get stuck in and work hard. Almost every time he has played for the first team, Treacy has been awful.

Could moan about more things but let's move on I guess. I just find it annoying to read reports of the game and descriptions of our performance - pitiful, Liverpool won at a canter, easiest game they will play all season etc etc.

We are (or are meant to be) fighting for our lives to stay in this league.

For me Sam will always be pragmatic - I wouldn't be surprised if he had told his players not to put in any silly challenges - and above all don't get injured.

This was always a game we were likely to lose - even with a fully fit first team - which we were a million miles away from.

The big matches are Stoke, Wigan, Portsmouth, & WBA - we need 6, maybe 8 points from these matches.

Ultimately it may have benefited us in the long run - as it shows some of the deficiences in the squad.

Also - lets give Liverpool some credit - until recently I haven't been a fan - but yesterday they were full of running and imagination. There closing down of the player with the ball was first class for the majority of the match. Lets not forget that we went one down very early on to one of the goals of the season.

Last but not least - when you put out a team that costs less than the oppositions star striker - you are likely to be onto a loser straight away. I find it frustrating that throughout the Sky commentary - there was no mention of our significant injury list - or the total financial imbalance in the current Premier League. Everyone complained when Rovers had Uncle Jack - but we were never financially out of sight of the other clubs - like the top 4 currently are.

Last but not least - when you put out a team that costs less than the oppositions star striker - you are likely to be onto a loser straight away. I find it frustrating that throughout the Sky commentary - there was no mention of our significant injury list - or the total financial imbalance in the current Premier League. Everyone complained when Rovers had Uncle Jack - but we were never financially out of sight of the other clubs - like the top 4 currently are.

I noticed that too. If it is was one of the 'big 4' they would have been going on about missing Rooney etc, but they did not give a flying fook that we were missing major players. Fair enough, we don't have the quality of someone like Rooney, but it still clearly affects us when we have players missing.

Generally, I see what you are saying, but other teams like Stoke have caused Liverpool problems this season. There was a general casualness about our play yesterday. For example, Ooijer seemed like he was dreaming of his PSV return! The amount of space their players had was frightening.

Depressing to read the crape posted by so many here. Sam got it spot on for this game. The fact so many of you cannot see this shows how clueless you are and how lucky we are to have such a - wise - experienced - proper - manager. The "Incey" award for posters on this thread goes to RB with Ts a close second........................

Sam did not send out the team for it to fail the way it did yesterday. I think he was as shocked as anyone that they worked on things all week and come matchday the players totally forgot/did not carry out what they had planned. The injuries played a part but still the midfield in particular need to have a long hard look at themselves, to give a player like Alonso so much time and space is criminal.

Rightly in the interview below he has a go at all the players (apart from Robinson and Samba):

Sam: Not Good Enough

Our midfield is complete and utter shyte, and for anyone Big Sam included, to think they are good enough is simply unacceptable. Come the summer massive recruitment is required to go anywhere near to putting out a decent team for next season.

Ok, here's the plan for next season:

We'll need 12 wins and a handful of draws to stop up. Target the 6 games against the promoted teams; Bolton and Fulham home and away, and then the other 8 games at home versus non top 6 sides. Save our good players for those games. Do what we did yesterday (and at Arsenal and at Coventry) in the other games, and, of course, the cup games. It doesn't matter how many times we get walloped because those games 'don't matter as much as the winnable ones.'

If it works, most on here should be very happy

Sorry, but every game must be winnable, otherwise whats is the point of bothering to watch Rovers.

Completely embarrassed by yesterday's pathetic shambles....

I'd like to add my name to those fans like Abbey, McClarky, Somerset Rover, Tris, LD Rover, Darrell H and RevidgeBlue, who in varying degrees were disgusted and embarrassed by yesterday's disgraceful and unacceptable performance.

The excuses don't wash with me. Yes, we had players out injured and I wasn't expecting to get a point at Anfield yesterday. I was however hoping that Rovers would at least put up a proper fight, battle for every ball and keep the score down to a respectable level.

I was sickened by what I saw. I could have accepted losing the match 2-0 if the players had put up a fight. But we didn't get that and what we saw at Anfield was yet another shambles alongside the 4-0 debacle against Arsenal last month.

In the space of less than four weeks our goal difference has taken a hammering of 8 goals from Arsenal and Liverpool. Does Sam Allardyce not realise the importance of goal difference? If, God forbid, on the final day of the season Premiership survival is settled by goal difference then Allardyce has only himself to blame for being totally inept against Arsenal and Liverpool and being unable to pick a team to fight and at least keep the score down.

Our record against the 'Big Four' of Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal this season is abysmal. No points from 7 matches so far and with Chelsea to come at Stamford Bridge in May. But I don't buy the excuses from Messrs Allardyce and Ince who have both tried to suggest that we can't compete over 90 minutes with the 'Big Four'.

Both Allardyce and Ince have effectively raised the white flag before games and indicated: "We can't compete." But if you compare our record this season against the 'Big Four' to that of our relegation rivals Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Sunderland, Stoke and Hull - those five teams all have a better record against the Big Four than us.

Middlesbrough beat Liverpool 2-0 at the Riverside Stadium in February and also drew 1-1 against Arsenal at the Riverside in December. 'Boro were only narrowly beaten at Anfield 2-1 from a goal by Steven Gerrard in the 4th minute of injury time.

Middlesbrough are 4 points better off than Rovers against the 'Big Four'.

Stoke have drawn twice against Liverpool this season - a 0-0 draw at Anfield and also a goalless draw at the Britannia Stadium. Stoke beat Arsenal 2-1 in November and also were a bit unfortunate to lose 2-1 to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge with a goal from Frank Lampard in the 94th minute.

Stoke are 5 points better off than Rovers against the 'Big Four' this season.

Hull City beat Arsenal 2-1 at the Emirates Stadium this season. Hull drew 2-2 with Liverpool at Anfield in December and drew 0-0 with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in Phil Scolari's last match.

Hull are 5 points better off than Rovers against the 'Big Four'.

Newcastle drew 1-1 with Man United at Old Trafford in the first game of the season. Newcastle also drew 0-0 with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in November.

Newcastle are 2 points better off than Rovers against the 'Big Four'.

Sunderland drew 0-0 with Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium in February. Sunderland also drew 1-1 with Arsenal at the Stadium of Light in October.

Sunderland are 2 points better off than Rovers against the 'Big Four'.

So frankly I'm getting rather sick and tired of the excuses both before matches and after matches suggesting that Rovers have no chance of competing with any of the 'Big Four' over 90 minutes.

It's a good job that Simon Davey didn't tell his Barnsley players in the FA Cup last season "We have no chance playing against Liverpool and Chelsea." Barnsley went to Anfield and won 2-1 and also beat a Chelsea side that played their strongest team at Oakwell.

Did Tony Pullis indicate to the media earlier in the season: "We have no chance of competing against Liverpool" ?

No - and his Stoke team fought like tigers for 180 minutes in both matches against Liverpool and came away with two 0-0 draws both home and away. Those two valuable points against Liverpool might well help to keep Stoke in the Premiership this season.

With Rovers I get the impression that we've raised the white flag before the players have even stepped out onto the pitch against the 'Big Four' this season and I find that attitude unacceptable. The message from the Rovers management that we can't compete with the bigger teams transmits itself to the players and they start to subconsciously think: "Why bother? We are going to lose this game anyway."

Incidentally Man United's 5-0 thrashing of Stoke at Old Trafford in November is the only time that Stoke have conceded more than 3 goals in a match against any other team in the Premiership this season. By contrast, Rovers have now conceded more than 3 goals in four different matches - twice against Arsenal, once against West Ham and once against Liverpool.

We've had too many thrashings this season and our goal difference is dreadful. God forbid that it might play a part in who goes down this season. Our 'aggregate score' of 0-8 against Arsenal is a worse record than any other team against Arsenal this season. So much for Big Sam being able to ruffle the feathers of Arsenal and stop them from playing. Rovers were a disgrace against Arsenal last month. Arsene Wenger's team haven't had an easier game at home all season than against Rovers.

Against Arsenal we conceded after just 2 minutes. Against Liverpool yesterday we conceded after just 5 minutes. Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. The message that Sam Allardyce should have been drubbing into the players loud and clear is that we need to keep things tight all over the pitch, don't give Arsenal and Liverpool an inch and we need to battle and fight for every ball as if our lives depended on it.

Either the Rovers players completely failed to carry out the necessary instructions or, as I suspect, the subconscious message given out to the players was that we're going to lose this game anyway, so let's just get it out of the way.

For the Rovers fans who pay hard-earned money to travel and watch the team it's a disgusting attitude for the players and management to have.

Completely embarrassed by yesterday's pathetic shambles....

I'd like to add my name to those fans like , who in varying degrees were disgusted and embarrassed by yesterday's disgraceful and unacceptable performance.

The excuses don't wash with me. Yes, we had players out injured and I wasn't expecting to get a point at Anfield yesterday. I was however hoping that Rovers would at least put up a proper fight, battle for every ball and keep the score down to a respectable level.

I was sickened by what I saw. I could have accepted losing the match 2-0 if the players had put up a fight. But we didn't get that and what we saw at Anfield was yet another shambles alongside the 4-0 debacle against Arsenal last month.

In the space of less than four weeks our goal difference has taken a hammering of 8 goals from Arsenal and Liverpool. Does Sam Allardyce not realise the importance of goal difference? If, God forbid, on the final day of the season Premiership survival is settled by goal difference then Allardyce has only himself to blame for being totally inept against Arsenal and Liverpool and being unable to pick a team to fight and at least keep the score down.

Our record against the 'Big Four' of Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal this season is abysmal. No points from 7 matches so far and with Chelsea to come at Stamford Bridge in May. But I don't buy the excuses from Messrs Allardyce and Ince who have both tried to suggest that we can't compete over 90 minutes with the 'Big Four'.

Both Allardyce and Ince have effectively raised the white flag before games and indicated: "We can't compete." But if you compare our record this season against the 'Big Four' to that of our relegation rivals Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Sunderland, Stoke and Hull - those five teams all have a better record against the Big Four than us.

Middlesbrough beat Liverpool at the Riverside Stadium in February and also drew 1-1 against Arsenal at the Riverside in December. 'Boro were only narrowly beaten at Anfield 2-1 from a goal by Steven Gerrard in the 4th minute of injury time.

Middlesbrough are 4 points better off than Rovers against the 'Big Four'.

Stoke have drawn twice against Liverpool this season - a 0-0 draw at Anfield and also a goalless draw at the Britannia Stadium. Stoke beat Arsenal 2-1 in November and also were a bit unfortunate to lose 2-1 to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge with a goal from Frank Lampard in the 94th minute.

Stoke are 5 points better off than Rovers against the 'Big Four' this season.

Hull City beat Arsenal 2-1 at the Emirates Stadium this season. Hull drew 2-2 with Liverpool at Anfield in December and drew 0-0 with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in Phil Scolari's last match.

Hull are 5 points better off than Rovers against the 'Big Four'.

Newcastle drew 1-1 with Man United at Old Trafford in the first game of the season. Newcastle also drew 1-1 with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in November.

Newcastle are 2 points better off than Rovers against the 'Big Four'.

Sunderland drew 0-0 with Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium in February. Sunderland also drew 1-1 with Arsenal at the Stadium of Light in October.

Sunderland are 2 points better off than Rovers against the 'Big Four'.

So frankly I'm getting rather sick and tired of the excuses both before matches and after matches suggesting that Rovers have no chance of competing with any of the 'Big Four' over 90 minutes.

It's a good job that Simon Davey didn't tell his Barnsley players in the FA Cup last season "We have no chance playing against Liverpool and Chelsea." Barnsley went to Anfield and won 2-1 and also beat a Chelsea side that played their strongest team at Oakwell.

Did Tony Pullis indicate to the media earlier in the season: "We have no chance of competing against Liverpool" ?

No - and his Stoke team fought like tigers for 180 minutes in both matches against Liverpool and came away with two 0-0 draws both home and away. Those two valuable points against Liverpool might well help to keep Stoke in the Premiership this season.

With Rovers I get the impression that we've raised the white flag before the players have even stepped out onto the pitch against the 'Big Four' this season and I find that attitude unacceptable. The message from the Rovers management that we can't compete with the bigger teams transmits itself to the players and they start to subconsciously think: "Why bother? We are going to lose this game anyway."

Incidentally Man United's 5-0 thrashing of Stoke at Old Trafford in November is the only time that Stoke have conceded more than 3 goals in a match against any other team in the Premiership this season. By contrast, Rovers have now conceded more than 3 goals in four different matches - twice against Arsenal, once against West Ham and once against Liverpool.

We've had too many thrashings this season and our goal difference is dreadful. God forbid that it might play a part in who goes down this season. Our 'aggregate score' of 0-8 against Arsenal is a worse record than any other team against Arsenal this season. So much for Big Sam being able to ruffle the feathers of Arsenal and stop them from playing. Rovers were a disgrace against Arsenal last month. Arsene Wenger's team haven't had an easier game at home all season than against Rovers.

Against Arsenal we conceded after just 2 minutes. Against Liverpool yesterday we conceded after just 5 minutes. Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. The message that Sam Allardyce should have been drubbing into the players loud and clear is that we need to keep things tight all over the pitch, don't give Arsenal and Liverpool an inch and we need to battle and fight for every ball as if our lives depended on it.

Either the Rovers players completely failed to carry out the necessary instructions or, as I suspect, the subconscious message given out to the players was that we're going to lose this game anyway, so let's just get it out of the way.

For the Rovers fans who pay hard-earned money to travel and watch the team it's a disgusting attitude for the players and management to have.

Plenty of criticisms there Chris, and plenty of em valid too. The hand of cards at Sam's disposal are not good. BUT given the predicament that we are in, given injuries to key players that we have, given the poor quality squad members like Mokoena, Treacy and andrews that we are having to play (and none of whom are likely to play Prem football when they leave BRFC,) given the fact that Tugay is having to play at God knows what age and that we are playing a couple of walking wounded, and given the run in that we have.......... so imagine that you were in Sam Allardyce's position ....... what solutions would you offer, what team would you have put out and in what formation? Rem criticising is the easy bit, finding answers is much more difficult.

btw "Abbey, McClarky, Somerset Rover, Tris, LD Rover, Darrell H and RevidgeBlue" are all free to join in.

Depressing to read the crape posted by so many here. Sam got it spot on for this game.

losing 4-0 could have been ten ,aye he got it spot on. :wacko: wouldnt like to think what score it would of been if he got it wrong :wacko:

Plenty of criticisms there Chris, and plenty of em valid too. The hand of cards at Sam's disposal are not good. BUT given the predicament that we are in, given injuries to key players that we have, given the poor quality squad members like Mokoena, Treacy and andrews that we are having to play (and none of whom are likely to play Prem football when they leave BRFC,) given the fact that Tugay is having to play at God knows what age and that we are playing a couple of walking wounded, and given the run in that we have.......... so imagine that you were in Sam Allardyce's position ....... what solutions would you offer, what team would you have put out and in what formation? Rem criticising is the easy bit, finding answers is much more difficult.

btw "Abbey, McClarky, Somerset Rover, Tris, LD Rover, Darrell H and RevidgeBlue" are all free to join in.

i would have had samba in defence and benni up top and derbs on the bench...balls to wages ,like i said 8 games wages or the loss of the gravy train.Id have roar in for mokauseless and zurab at right back.

Hope you don't mind but I've put this in a separate thread. Your point in bold is probably the most pertinent topic of discussion right now.

With the players available it was always going to be a high probability loss so the solutions are next to non existent the players arent good enough collectively so the debate ends.

Answers had to come from the reserves and academy for the Liverpool game sadly they are so lacking these days that the answer to this game was absolutely imposible for Rovers 2008-09 to complete.

I know Sam was missing many key players for the occasion but he didn't do us any favours with the team selection. Playing Samba up front on his own was folly. McCarthy was our only recognised striker, and he was relegated to the bench. He's been scoring goals despite a poor season, and he isn't going to get match-fit if he doesn't feature.

Treacy starting? Based on what exactly? And out of position, for good measure.

Archived