BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Atmospheres

Just watching the City game tonight, loads of fans have little flags and bananas after being encouraged to create an electric atmosphere tonight

Also on Tuesday lots of Chelsea fans had flags too

Just wondering if people think this genuinely helps the players and looks good, or just looks completely plastic and maufactured?

I imagine it helps. I went to Citeh vs Fulham at the weekend and it was as quiet as Ewood.

The thing that I miss most (albeit from the JW stand) is not just the singing from the Blackburn End but the lack of humour and invention. So many people must be tired of 'Get into em' cos more often than not it sounds like an obligation. The only funny chant this season was the 'we want our toilets back' as sung v Hull (I think).

Just what has happened to wit and sense of humour amongst the younger fans on the Blackburn End?

Just what has happened to wit and sense of humour amongst the younger fans on the Blackburn End?

Gets frowned upon and complained about by the more reserved and sit downers Theno.

The way I see it is before we use to stand - now we sit akin to being at the cinema whereas you attain an atmosphere of expected silence except for the rustling, coughing etc - in addition its the self awareness should you be the only one who dares to do something about it.

Chelsea provided the flags for free. To me (watching on tv) it looked fake and pathetic. Trying too hard to create an atmosphere. The flags were only really waved at the very start and near the very end.

Stephen Ireland was interviewed staright after the Cite game and he made a few references to how great the fans were and that it lifted the players. Also that they need to be like that for all their remaining games so they can qualify for Europe by coming 7th! :D

The thing that I miss most (albeit from the JW stand) is not just the singing from the Blackburn End but the lack of humour and invention. So many people must be tired of 'Get into em' cos more often than not it sounds like an obligation. The only funny chant this season was the 'we want our toilets back' as sung v Hull (I think).

Call me an old cynic if you like Theno, but a childhood with parents glued to the telly and "instant" meals from the freezer, allied to virtually every hour they were in the house being spent in playing computer games, does not seem the best way to develop an intelligent and witty young adult.

Many of the songs of yesteryear were bascically pop songs and the odd TV ad jingle replaced with football lyrics and players names added in .Perhaps the death of Top of the pops and todays crap music has something to do with it..The Accy fans Kaiserchief chant is a good one though..

Gets frowned upon and complained about by the more reserved and sit downers Theno.

The way I see it is before we use to stand - now we sit akin to being at the cinema whereas you attain an atmosphere of expected silence except for the rustling, coughing etc - in addition its the self awareness should you be the only one who dares to do something about it.

Hmmmmmmmmm! I think you have hit the nail on the head there Capt. When I had season ticket at Dunfermline for a couple of seasons I sat in the centre stand (dearest seats) and I got quite frustrated at being the ONLY one (no I am NOT exagerating) who actually shouted out "come on you Pars" or anything else for that matter. The only sign that the people around me were actually alive was a slight ripple of polite applause (as in the members enclosure at Lords) whenever the occasion demanded.

That is just one of the minor reasons why I have shifted my support to Cowdenbeath or East Fife...on both those grounds you can stand on a terrace (well grassy bank really) and bawl your head off and the people around you (who are mainly in the 40 to 80 age group by the way) are all doing the same. In case you are wondering......the vast majority of younger people are all away watching Rangers or Hearts, altenatively Celtic or Hibs. Glory Hunters!!! (retch, spit)

Agree with CAPT - im only a young fan (welll sort of, 25) and Im more than happy to sing new songs or come out with new chants, but people just look at you like your mad and dont join in. Thats why away games are much better - everyone is up for it, and some cracking chants get sung - hopefully tomorrow will be no different.

Call me an old cynic if you like Theno, but a childhood with parents glued to the telly and "instant" meals from the freezer, allied to virtually every hour they were in the house being spent in playing computer games, does not seem the best way to develop an intelligent and witty young adult.

I also agree with this

I don't think there is any cyicism to it Fife.

One thing is certain , there is less individuality amongst our younger bretheren.

Just wondering what my young lad will make of me when I take him on for his first game against Wigan - I ain't no youngster nor am I an elder but I do have my own individuality and don't concede to the sheep brigade or peer pressure.

I'm confident that my parents would contend that point of view :rover:

I'm getting scared by the number of your posts I agree with (you're not a mentalist are you, manipulating from afar) but this is another one. Maybe we need an old school brains-trust to write something for them with lungs to sing it, who's up for it :lol:

I'm getting scared by the number of your posts I agree with (you're not a mentalist are you, manipulating from afar) but this is another one.

It's not difficult timmy cos I'm usually right. I think thats what winds up so many others. They say nobody likes a smart arse but I just can't help it. :closedeyes:

........... and you'd better damn well agree with that too! :tu:

With regards to age, I'm 17 and am terrified of chanting should i be the only one to stand up and do it.

I quite like a wee invention (ish) of mine as well, to tune of 500 miles:

I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more, just to be the man who walked 1000 miles to see the rovers score!!

UP THE ROVERS (X4)

da-da-da, da-da-da, da-da-da, da-da-da, da-da-da-da-DAAA-DA!!

(repeated over and again)

Its cheesy, its fun and u can jump around to it!!

Years of a drum thudding, years of "sit down mate", years of being looked down on by the silent majority.

Didnt affect me clearly. :wacko: But many others, probably.

I think one of the problems is people not wanting to use other teams "songs", in the 70's and 80's we used to do it all the time, just changing the words to fit our team and players. People are saying we need new songs but what about bringing back some of our old songs, at least half of the fans will already know them!

Wit and humour in the Blackburn End ?

It's never existed in my lifetime , Drog ......

You've obviously never stood on the old Blacburn End when Rovers were playing the likes of Everton, Liverpool, Sheffield Wed, etc in the '50s and '60s. When all the supporters of both teams were crowded in together and you could hardly move your arms let alone actually walk off anywhere. The banter that went on and the witty comments about people needing to go, and retorts from the rival fans around. The guy next to you might say something along the lines of "just P** in his pocket he wont mind he is from Sheffield" or words to that effect. All given and taken in good spirit and all very friendly even the disputes about referees decisions etc all very friendly and jokey. Not the case any more!

You've obviously never stood on the old Blacburn End when Rovers were playing the likes of Everton, Liverpool, Sheffield Wed, etc in the '50s and '60s. When all the supporters of both teams were crowded in together and you could hardly move your arms let alone actually walk off anywhere. The banter that went on and the witty comments about people needing to go, and retorts from the rival fans around. The guy next to you might say something along the lines of "just P** in his pocket he wont mind he is from Sheffield" or words to that effect. All given and taken in good spirit and all very friendly even the disputes about referees decisions etc all very friendly and jokey. Not the case any more!

Quite true, even peeing against the wall at the front, as there was no way of getting to the bogs down near the turnstiles. Not that I ever did. ;):blush:

Archived