BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chelsea Vs Blackburn Rovers Preview 4pm Sunday 17th May 2009

Haven't seen the game but the bit I heard on Radio Lancs was Malouda going past Andrews as though he wasn't there.

Having read some reports it sounds like we missed at least 4 golden scoring opportunities, they missed more and we played a lot of the game without Givet and Nelsen.

Sounds like we did remarkably well in the circumstances although sadly Grella doessn't warrant an upward rating.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
can hardly remember a Premiership fixture with a smaller and less fired up Rovers following nor such a lack of edge on the pitch.

Going through the motions because there's another game you perceive to be more important next week simply isn't acceptable.

Funnily enough I meant to post something about this ahead of the game REV - normally the 'last away' game is one of the highlights of the calendar that people want to go to and enjoy make a 'day' of win or lose- hardly a whisper about this one - something I cannot remember ever happening before - even the Millwall gme from 88 on the 'Im in Heaven' thread had more interest in it.

Unfortunately all of the following probably accumalated to it - the bad season /price / time of kick off /on TV /nothing riding on the game all contributed - sign of football nowadays.

Unfortuantely, the 'motions' is something I think people will have to get used to as there doesn't appear to be much on the horizon to change things from SAM - and given the likelihood we won't have the funds and the need to replace 6-7 players the prospects do not look good.

As for the players , I really worry about those pinning there hopes on Emerton - as much as he was missed his injury is a serious one, and I suspect and fear he will have lost some edge with regard to his speed which is a major part of his game and as for Reid .. .forget it.

Present day side says it all when Tugay is the only drive in the team.

MGP - much as I like him he is a waste of space at the moment needs to be told in non descript terms produce or be sold.

Doran has to be given his chance.

Grella - thinks the ball is just a hot potato -possibly worth keeping but has to show more - needs decent partner in midfield.

Unfortunately for next season - we need a proper RB , a complete midfield and probably at least 2 strikers /forwards and that's just for starters if its to be better than this season.

Id agree that Warnock wasnt worth an 8, but Id agree that Doran was around a 7. For a kid that was 17 not too long ago to come on and play against Englands best left back (and rated as one of the worlds best) in one of his first fewe appearances he showed real promise. Wasnt scared of Cole, didnt get bullied out of it and was always willing to run with the ball rather than just get rid of it.

1 - Funnily enough I meant to post something about this ahead of the game REV - normally the 'last away' game is one of the highlights of the calendar that people want to go to and enjoy make a 'day' of win or lose- hardly a whisper about this one - something I cannot remember ever happening before - even the Millwall gme from 88 on the 'Im in Heaven' thread had more interest in it.

Unfortunately all of the following probably accumalated to it - the bad season /price / time of kick off /on TV /nothing riding on the game all contributed - sign of football nowadays.

2 - Unfortunately for next season - we need a proper RB , a complete midfield and probably at least 2 strikers /forwards and that's just for starters if its to be better than this season.

1 - The reason for the 'hardly a whisper' was mainly due to price, but then also added to by a sky tv crew & the length of travel involved. Hardly suprising is it!! I usually go the last game too but never even considered this one as soon as I saw the price.

2 - Whilst I agree we need to strengthen in those areas. I dont think we will do worse than this season as we have cut away one of the biggest problems in 'Ince' and we now have a proper manager. I really hope Sam can work his magic this summer and find us some bargains. A couple of good freebies mixed with abit of quality & inject some pace into our side would be good.

Id agree that Warnock wasnt worth an 8, but Id agree that Doran was around a 7. For a kid that was 17 not too long ago to come on and play against Englands best left back (and rated as one of the worlds best) in one of his first fewe appearances he showed real promise. Wasnt scared of Cole, didnt get bullied out of it and was always willing to run with the ball rather than just get rid of it.

Watching the young Irish lad I can only remember the ONE occassion he took on Cole the rest of his game he seemed to get caught napping, running backwards, kicking the ball out of play to the invisible player - real promise.?

Looking forward to seeing him against the Baggies a championship outfit in which he should shine a little more especially with being on home territory and a upbeat crowd.

You also forget his tracking back to get infront of Essien and then win a foul? Showing real desire to win back a ball he had lost, if only MGP could do the same!!

He was 17 at the beginning of the week - give him a chance FFS!! He has only made appearances against City, Liverpool & Chelsea away. All when we were already in a losing position. Sam must see something to give him the chance. He has also jumped ahead of the likes of Treacy.

He's not there to play a killer pass. His job is to stop an attack or slow it down and if he gets the ball to start an attacking move. Which I think he does quite effectively.

If that was all that was needed Modes, then anyone who could kick a ball could make a Premier league midfielder. :)

I thought everybody had a decent enough game - we could have scored two (but then they could have scored five....) - apart from Grella who was terrible (I hvae defended him previously but he was utterly and complete awful) and Andrews who (understasndabky) could not cope with two world class players in Malouda and Cole. Actually towards the end Keith did okay, but in the first half he was mincemeat.

I hoped Doran's pace would cause them problems. It didn't... not sure he is going to work out, but we should get more of a look against West Brom.

1. Doran has to be given his chance.........

2. ........ Unfortunately for next season - we need a proper RB , a complete midfield and probably at least 2 strikers /forwards and that's just for starters if its to be better than this season.

Doran? Maybe time to develop him certainly but it's not time to rely on him yet.

Point 2 above is not going to happen is it? We don't have the financial resources to fund a shopping spree of that proportion and by all accounts SA is being asked to reduce the wage bill as well. 'Hoofball' which appears to be a popular term for an unpopular tactic is looking like our only option. :unsure:

It's just fortunate that we have an expert exponent of it in charge eh? :rover:

Doran? Maybe time to develop him certainly but it's not time to rely on him yet.

Point 2 above is not going to happen is it? We don't have the financial resources to fund a shopping spree of that proportion and by all accounts SA is being asked to reduce the wage bill as well. 'Hoofball' which appears to be a popular term for an unpopular tactic is looking like our only option. :unsure:

It's just fortunate that we have an expert exponent of it in charge eh? :rover:

Nobody mentioned on relying on him Theno - as for relying anyway I'd rather rely on him than hit and hope MGP at the moment.

As I said the prospects don't look good yet we definitely need players for those positions (never mind back ups) good players preferably with pace - if not then prepare for a season of doom and gloom again.

Haven't seen the game but the bit I heard on Radio Lancs was Malouda going past Andrews as though he wasn't there.

Having read some reports it sounds like we missed at least 4 golden scoring opportunities, they missed more and we played a lot of the game without Givet and Nelsen.

Sounds like we did remarkably well in the circumstances although sadly Grella doessn't warrant an upward rating.

I went to the game and first half Rovers didnt fare too badly, the only weakness being Diouf's refusal to help Andrews at all exposing him time and again. Down the left though Sam had obviously spotted a weakness in Boswinga who was positionally all over the place. Several times Rovers worked openings there. But Pedersen has no pace and yesterday had no heart. Villanueva? Great touches but defensively has no idea and consistently let the Chelsea midfield run past him. At times he Grella and Tugay were rooted in front of the back 4. No pace at all there and Samba was totally isolated. Second half was a procession.

All in all Rovers are extremely lucky to have a strategist like Sam who has woven a silk purse from a crusty old sow's ear. Andrews, Grella, Tugay, Villanueva, Pedersen, McCarthy, Diouf, are just not good enough, or are no longer. With so many players out of their depth or out of position because the alternative was so horrific this has been a Brer Rabbit like spring out of the briar patch and into Premier clover. The stables need cleaning and Sam is the Hercules to do it. Yesterday just proved how much sh*t there is to shovel.

If that was all that was needed Modes, then anyone who could kick a ball could make a Premier league midfielder. :)

Players make careers out of it Den. I'm not saying its easy being a defensive midfielder but its easier than other positions.

You need to have the ability to tackle and pass 10 yards, or Mokoena syndrome. The better ones like Makelelelelelele, Hargreaves, Carrick, etc can pass accurately over a longer range.

Players make careers out of it Den. I'm not saying its easy being a defensive midfielder but its easier than other positions.

You need to have the ability to tackle and pass 10 yards, or Mokoena syndrome. The better ones like Makelelelelelele, Hargreaves, Carrick, etc can pass accurately over a longer range.

I would say that a mdfielder needs to have many qualities, - to be a good midfielder. They must impose themselves on the opposition. They must dominate their opponent. They must be positive in everything they do, pass forwards at every single opportunity. They must be able to read the game and be able to intercept passes, thus breaking up attacks. They must have the stamina and fitness to harry and pressurise the opponent. A good central midfielder, in short, will impose and give their team quality posession and quality service.

He doesn't do any of that IMO.

But hey, fantastic end result to a season that was destined to end in relegation. Thanks Sam.

Nobody mentioned on relying on him Theno - as for relying anyway I'd rather rely on him than hit and hope MGP at the moment.

As I said the prospects don't look good yet we definitely need players for those positions (never mind back ups) good players preferably with pace - if not then prepare for a season of doom and gloom again.

I do that every year! It saves me being disappointed. :(

Turned 18 last week, 3 sub appearances against City, Liverpool & Chelsea away and already consigned to the scrapheap by some - CRAZY!! :o

Is that a response to my post?

The stables need cleaning and Sam is the Hercules to do it. Yesterday just proved how much sh*t there is to shovel.

I'd likely be in total agreement if I didn't know how much money has been invested in the Chelsea squad and paying their wages, a team are in the FA Cup Final, will finish a close 3rd in the prem and are not in the Champions League final purely because a star studded Barca managed just one decent shot on target in the last minute of the semi final.

Still there you go. A sense of perspective should always be applied to these situations imo.

But hey, fantastic end result to a season that was destined to end in relegation. Thanks Sam.

and I should have added - thanks to all the players who stepped up to the plate while much of the squad was missing, and did a job that very few of us could have imagined possible. - Including all those that I've slagged off.

We have lost all 8 games against the top 4, can't remember when or if that's happened before but if Villa finish fifth we'll have lost all 10 games against the top five! Yet we have 4 points against Everton who looked much weaker than we did in the first game of the season. Sam's biggest job is to instil some self-belief in this squad

We got exactly what we expected yesterday, (Well I actually thought it would be another 4-0). We did have chances, but our players appear to be 2 seconds slower in everything they did when compared to the Chelsea team. That for me was the main difference-everything Chelsea did was done so quickly we were constantly firefighting.

And if Grella is worth £4M, then somebody tell Paul Ince I've got an old Vauxhall Viva I 'm looking to sell for a good price.

We have lost all 8 games against the top 4, can't remember when or if that's happened before but if Villa finish fifth we'll have lost all 10 games against the top five! Yet we have 4 points against Everton who looked much weaker than we did in the first game of the season. Sam's biggest job is to instil some self-belief in this squad

Nelsen has said in todays LET that the plan under Sam was to take points of our rivals, which we have done. He then says that the top teams wont get it easy next year when they face us. Which im sure will be correct.

Tugay was again the best player in a Rovers shirt.

Id disagree. I think he gets far more credit than what anybody else would if they did the same as him (If you get what I mean). For me, he only really got involved for the last 20 mins or so, prior to that I saw several bad passes from him. He is slow, his control wasnt as good as it has been in the past - and 'his legs have gone' statement from Sam appears to be correct in the way I see him.

Is that a response to my post?

No mate

and conceed 22 goals and scored 2 in the process. shocking but who cares?! As someone said on an earlier thread, this season can go into room 101 and we will see a different Rovers next season! Just relieved we're not in the mix for the weekend!

Late in the match, young Doran made a peach of a pass across the field that passed a few yards in front of Tugay, but he just couldn't run to pick it up and it went off the field.

Having said that, didn't think the lads did too badly under the circumstances. Most of the Chelsea fans we met were very friendy, interested in our team and wishing us well for next season and for beating the drop, etc. We went to see the Rovers players' coach come in and couldn't get through the crowd of Chelsea fans wanting to take pictures of them and autographs etc. Was that a naughty Rovers fan who upended the banner hanging from the upper tier and soaked a few Chelsea fans :D ? Never seen so many idle stewards and policemen, what a cushy job these folks have.

Not much to Chelsea's game. Get the ball, pass it around a bit, slap it to one of the wingers, power it up the field into the box. Somebody (anybody!) fall over on the off chance that there might be a free kick given (mostly stopped that when one of them got carded for it) if unable to get past the bodies/into the net! Oh that our lot could make it look that easy! Got a bit boring though! Shame none of our early crosses were picked up and slammed in, Benni came on too late for that, all those chances were in the first half and he couldn't be bothered really.

Quite looking forward to my next visit to the Bridge and hopefully by then we might beat them! Roll on next season!

Archived