BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chelsea Vs Blackburn Rovers Preview 4pm Sunday 17th May 2009

The commentary on sky sports today was an absolute disgrace, never before have I heard such a love in for a club before. I know chelsea did well, but nowhere near as well to justify the biasm on display today. When robinson pulled off those couple of great saves at the end all he got was a "oh he's done it again", this was after maybe a 5 minute rant about how well chelsea have done this season etc etc.

Did anyone else notice the extremity of this today?

I noticed this as well, in the 1st half after about 15 mins he was going on about if the rovers players were going to be motivated for the game, Andy Gray put him in his place, the bloke is a fool! Although it did look correct as some players looked to be there for there appearance bonuses!

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the basis of today:

Robbo - keep

Andrews - bench

All the centre halves - keep

Warnock - get rid before other clubs realise he's over-priced

Diouf - bench

Tugay - cyrogenic chamber until we can transplant his head onto a younger player who can tackle

Grella - sell

MGP - termintae with extreme prejudice

Doran - 10 starts next year

Benni - liposuction and keep

Carlos - I'd keep if we'd already paid for him but adios

Bit depressing really

The commentary on sky sports today was an absolute disgrace, never before have I heard such a love in for a club before. I know chelsea did well, but nowhere near as well to justify the biasm on display today. When robinson pulled off those couple of great saves at the end all he got was a "oh he's done it again", this was after maybe a 5 minute rant about how well chelsea have done this season etc etc.

Its the same old Sweet and we should be used to it by now.Have to admit though the droll Andy Gray was in his usual 'Masturbatory mode' when commenting on one of the 'BIG CLUBS'. :rolleyes:

I really do wish he would call it a day...he's milked Sky sports for far too long!

Grella, Villanueva, Doran looked completely out of their depth, just dont understand why people are saying Grella played well. I ask what on earth did he contribute except run around in a Rovers shirt.

Simply just not enough to warrant a first team place in a good premiership team. In a poor to average one maybe, but which one would you like Rovers to be?.

The game was played as an exhibition as there was little doubt before the game who would win, and none once Malouda scored. However, I was still clinging to the hope that we'd bag one even after Samba's miss but I gave up on that when Nelsen went off injured. I thought we did OK though, they tried to make a fist of it and the ball was on the ground much more than it has been.

Robinson was outstanding, Villanueva looked like an u12 playing, Diouf is very good on the ball, Doran is quick; especially when dribbling the wrong way.

We'll never beat Chelsea, maybe in a cup game but not in the league, especially at their place. Their resources are so much greater than ours, and I reckon Red Rom will splash the cash this summer for his new manager to get back in the mix. Rovers will have to make do with gambles and has-beens even with Roque money to play with.

In the interest of parity I have to agree with the posts somehwere on here stating that the Premier Leauge needs to think about some sort of wealth redistribution and squad size limitation as the top 4 are off on their own.

just dont understand why people are saying Grella played well. I ask what on earth did he contribute except run around in a Rovers shirt.

He offers next to nothing JAL. I doubt that opposition defenders quake at the thought of his attacking flair, nor defenders at his tackling ability.

He offers next to nothing JAL. I doubt that opposition defenders quake at the thought of his attacking flair, nor defenders at his tackling ability.

Thank you den, you just cant see him putting the opposition on the back foot in a game and continually supply our forward line with opportunities to score goals.

That shot he had or blew first half around the edge of their box, how long did he want? I know the technique of not to pannic when it comes to putting the ball in the back of the net but he was so, so slow it made him look like a lower league player playing at a level above his capabilities.

Exiled in Toronto the 'young' turk ran around with the enthusiam of a 28 year old showing poise and control and completely at ease with a football at his feet, dont think we could say the same for Grella's all round play.

Well first a bit of self congratulations, third result in a row I got right, two of them by the right score as well. Hated predicting a 2-0 loss for us, never like betting against us, but hey cash is cash right.

Didn't get to the match today so had to suffer the Sky bias. As a few have already said, downright disrespectful, absolutely no need for it. Sure Chelski were head and shoulders better than us but that was hardly surprising was it. If we bought just one of their first team we would be bouncing up and down expecting a great season next year. They've got 11 of them plus another 11 like them on the shelf. They were trying to give their manager a good send off and Anelka was going for some goal scoring record so they were full on today and at home. So the Sky idiots start slagging off the quality of our play when half the teams injured and we lose two more during the match. D!cks.

I'm starting to sound like a Grella apologist but some of the comments are here are about as biased as the Sky crews. I don't think any of out team played particularly well but Grella did good in the first half and broke up play well. Could play better like the rest of them but I thought he had an alright game. Loved the Essien challenge, he got the ball before the man- all three balls in fact. Nice one, studs up as well :D .

We're staying up so what he hell. Come on Hull, come on Villa make the my season complete and make Shearer a Championship Manager.

Not much to add which hasn't already been said.

To me the most notable difference was the pace in their team. Ok we'll get emerton & roberts back, but a couple of pacey players are a priority if we're to compete against faster teams.

Secondly, although Chelsea weren't really going for it, this was a much improved performance (at least in the first half) from the arsenal and liverpool games.

Thirdly - Robbo had another good game. If he keeps this up we can remove the need for a new keeper.

Regarding Grella and his level - he's a decent squad player to me. Shame he cost 4 million.

He won't let you down, he will disrupt some of the opposition's play, he can pass the ball decently (far better than mokoena for starters) and I don't worry when his name is on the team sheet. Having said that like others have said, he doesn't offer much more.

He doesn't unsettle teams like the top class defensive mids we've had like savage and flitty. Nor like them does he have any other strings to his bow, both could contribute offensively, both through their passing and chipping in with the odd goal, as well as being leaders on the pitch. Overall, a decent squad player, who won't let you down but isn't really good enough to take the team to the next level. Shame he's (i) meant to be our first choice dm and (ii) cost so much.

Grella, Villanueva, Doran looked completely out of their depth, just dont understand why people are saying Grella played well. I ask what on earth did he contribute except run around in a Rovers shirt.

Simply just not enough to warrant a first team place in a good premiership team. In a poor to average one maybe, but which one would you like Rovers to be?.

i thinks thats a bit harsh, don't forget Rovers were playing against one of the best midfields in the world today, i think a lot of players in the prem league would struggle againt them. Doran is only a young kid for god sake give him a chance, he showed a few nice touches as well i thought when he came on.

i thinks thats a bit harsh, don't forget Rovers were playing against one of the best midfields in the world today, i think a lot of players in the prem league would struggle againt them. Doran is only a young kid for god sake give him a chance, he showed a few nice touches as well i thought when he came on.

But thats the standard Rovers are up against a great indicator for the future. If thats the case, do we deserve to be playing against these teams every season.

Granted Doran is only a kid, for me a little more adventure, freedom and spirit in his play would have be most welcome to be more raving of the lad.

Absolutely, we were talking about it in the pub. Andy Grat hardley mentioned that fact that there was an opposition out there for the whole game. Not surprising that they can play decently when their squad has been compiled for hundreds of millions of pounds.

But thats the standard Rovers are up against a great indicator for the future. If thats the case, do we deserve to be playing against these teams every season.

Granted Doran is only a kid, for me a little more adventure, freedom and spirit in his play would have be most welcome to be more raving of the lad.

We and the majority of the other clubs in league will never be able to compete against a top 4 club again JAL unless we suddenly find a very rich person who wants to pump his money into the club.

As for Doran what did he do wrong today? he attacked his full back well and tracked back well, what more can you ask from him at his stage of his career. It will be intresting to look at him against a team like West Brom were he should recieve more of the ball, then i think people can judge him more!!!

Absolutely, we were talking about it in the pub. Andy Grat hardley mentioned that fact that there was an opposition out there for the whole game. Not surprising that they can play decently when their squad has been compiled for hundreds of millions of pounds.

agree totally he said we never looked like scoring as well!! Was he not watching when Samba and Nelson should of scored!

We and the majority of the other clubs in league will never be able to compete against a top 4 club again JAL unless we suddenly find a very rich person who wants to pump his money into the club.

As for Doran what did he do wrong today? he attacked his full back well and tracked back well, what more can you ask from him at his stage of his career. It will be intresting to look at him against a team like West Brom were he should recieve more of the ball, then i think people can judge him more!!!

Agree, we've got to see the lad on home turf and hopefully hes learnt a few things having played against two top teams to make a positive impression on us all for that final Tugay celebration game against the Baggies.

For me hes (Doran)been the best one out of the reserves, so, if he cant make it then damming questions must be asked of the whole backroom team at Ewood and the board.

Yes the commentary was a joke.

They went on about how losing Essien for most of the season was a massive loss to Chelsea - who just had to make do with playing Michael Ballack/Deco etc Not once did they mention Santa Cruz/Roberts/Dunn/Emerton all who are more important losses to our small squad.

I doubt that opposition defenders quake at the thought of his attacking flair, nor defenders at his tackling ability.

He's not there to play a killer pass. His job is to stop an attack or slow it down and if he gets the ball to start an attacking move. Which I think he does quite effectively.

My main problem with him is his injury record.

Having said that would I rather have him or £4m to spend this summer? The latter would win everytime, not that £4m really buys you anything these days.

Boring game, expected result. 2 injuries isnt good but at least we only have 1 more game so shouldnt miss them too much.

Warnock once again showed why Givet would be better at left back than him - because he isnt attacking, where as Warnock goes off on the attack and then doesnt get back (see first goal and lampards chance when he hit the bar). £7m+ then sell!!

Just got back, another disappointing "big 4" result but somewhat better than the embarassing displays against Arsenal and Liverpool.

The match had a real pre season friendly feel about it, can hardly remember a Premiership fixture with a smaller and less fired up Rovers following nor such a lack of edge on the pitch.

The only downside for me in quite an entertaining first half was that we conceded so early again. That's three goals conceded in the opening 13 mins or so against Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea and has little to do with the respective values of the various teams but a lot more to do with lack of concetration and application on our behalf. No points out of twenty four against the "big four" this season and the manner of some of our displays is a pathetic effort and a priority area for Sam to improve next season.

Individually Robinson was excellent again, relatively speaking we're quite blessed at CB with Nelsen (current form) Samba and Givet (if the signing goes through.)

Carlos looked excellent first half but faded out of the game second, unlike the others Tugay tried so hard and did well, must be wanting to go out on a high. Diouf looked like he was already on the beach/worrying about his new 420k Merc getting scratched.

Benni looked like he quite simply couldn't be arsed when he came on. Sell if a big offer comes in.

Thankfully nearly the end of a very poor season overall. The last few away games have included Arsenal 0-4, Liverpool 0-4, Stoke 0-1, City 1-3 and Chelsea 0-2 and I can rarely remember a run of games when we've shown less creative play, resillience, or real commitment to the cause. Going through the motions because there's another game you perceive to be more important next week simply isn't acceptable.

when I saw our midfield I though it will be ok when we have the ball, but slow then we have not got it. And sad but it turned out to be true, we have a lack of speed of movement and there first goal proved. Still if you have spent the money there have, you would expect the best and there are not far off.

Roll on next weekend and I hope I win my best against Bolton being lower them us, here hoping

The problem was in midfield today in my opinion. No pace whatsoever in Tugay, Grlla and Villanueva. Both Tugay and Villanueva showed some nice touches on the ball but when we are without the ball they aren't the sort of players that can get back quickly and we got caught numerous times with Chelsea's more powerful and pacey midfield. As for Grella who was supposedly meant to be sitting infront of the back four I thought he was shocking. Let Lampard just stroll past him on a couple of occassions and his passing is dreadful at times, not shown anything to suggest he should first choice in my opinion.

Not many players can take credit for today's perfromance thought Tugay worked hard and seemed the only one interested, Doran tried hard when he came on, Robinson made a good number of saves and our centrebacks all did a reasonable job but the rest of the team were poor, very poor.

Archived