BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

I'd say City are far more likely to line up with one of De Jong or Kompany holding, Barry in the centre and Ireland in an advanced role and with Robinho drifting in from the left. They'll have a new CF at the point of the formation and also a new RB and a new CB. I reckon they'll look something like this:

Given

Richards / Dunne / ________ / Bridge

SWP / De Jong / Barry / Ireland / Robinho

_______

If we were to presume that those three blanks were on a par with the players they've already brought in or have been linked to and if Arsenal don't get their act together, then I reckon they might have an outside chance of fourth, but won't get any higher than that. I guess we'll have to wait and see exactly how they strengthen though before coming to any definite conclusions.

I think that does look good. The big problem though is that historically any side that make wholesale changes all the time fail to do anywhere as near as they should do> The only time this was not true was with Chelsea. City need to gel the key players together over a season to get them working together. Problem is allt he key players change! Ireland and Robinho have been together for a season and will stay and around. But I think it is highly likely that everyone else in the starting XI will change again, apart from Bridge and Given who hae only been there for less than half a season.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are decent but i wouldn't say they are world class, Essien is on a completley different level to both of them. I can't see them being good enough to achieve a top four finish or challenge for the title.

Essien is on a completely different level to almost every midfielder in the world, that's not really a fair comparison. If City are to break the top four then Arsenal are the obvious target, and both De Jong and Barry would walk into Arsenal's side as the holding midfielder - Wenger has even tried to sign Barry to do exactly that.

Before City break the top 4 - they need 2 class strikers (Rooney, Tevez, Torres, Eto bracket), 2 very good defenders and another right winger (SWP is injury prone).

City should of gone for Yaya Toure - that boy is class.

Before City break the top 4 - they need 2 class strikers (Rooney, Tevez, Torres, Eto bracket), 2 very good defenders and another right winger (SWP is injury prone).

City should of gone for Yaya Toure - that boy is class.

Do you really think Yaya is that good? <_<

I think that does look good. The big problem though is that historically any side that make wholesale changes all the time fail to do anywhere as near as they should do> The only time this was not true was with Chelsea. City need to gel the key players together over a season to get them working together. Problem is allt he key players change! Ireland and Robinho have been together for a season and will stay and around. But I think it is highly likely that everyone else in the starting XI will change again, apart from Bridge and Given who hae only been there for less than half a season.

You make a very valid point there, Joey. However, I don't expect City to have quite the problems gelling that many are anticipating. I'll explain why.

Firstly, Hughes has made it very clear the kind of player he is looking to bring in: preferably British and with experience in the Premier League (see Toure, Lescott, Santa Cruz, Terry before). Second, Hughes has demonstrated that he wants to bring people in as quickly as possible in order to give the squad the maximum possible time to gel together.

He has already brought Barry in. He, for one, is a consumate professional who came into the English national side at the age of 27, settled immediately and stamped his mark on the team. He has been captain at Villa and has a whole career of experience in the Premier League. I antcipate him being an immediate success.

Add to Barry the likes of Ireland and SWP (both British) and Petrov and Elano (if he stays) who all have two or more seasons worth of experience in the Premier League and the fact that, by August, De Jong and Kompany will both have had playing time and a whole preseason under their belt, I don't forsee any problems in the midfield operating as a unit. The sheer stength in depth will mean that, without any European commitments, they will easily be able to cope with the demands of two cup competitions and the Premier League.

Up front, they already have one of the world's brightest prospects in Robinho who has demonstrated that he can score goals in this league. However, this season, they won't be nearly so reliant on him. They've lacked a decent striker for him to play off, but I don't forsee that happening again this coming season. If you add Bellamy to the mix, I forsee a deadly mix of skill, pace, heading and clinical finishing at City.

In defence, I anticipate the quality to be there. Bridge is as good a left back as you'll get in this league, with the exception of Evra, while Dunne is a natural leader. Add Given and Richards to that and you have a British backbone to the defence, largely eliminating the difficulties of a language barrier. However, I don't expect Hughes to be successful in his attempts to lure either Lescott or Toure to City and expect him to have to look elsewhere. Furthermore, if reports are correct and Hughes is actually looking to replace both CBs, then there could be problems with new players developing a good understanding. This is the only area, however, where I can forsee real problems.

Even after all this strengthening, however, I don't forsee them surpassing Chelsea, Liverpool or United. The best they can hope for really this season is an outside shot at fourth. From below, Villa look as though they might have to undergo a mini rebuilding or the starting XI, while Everton might not have an awful lot to spend. Spurs will be up there though, IMO. So, I expect them to finish somewhere between 4th and 6th, but most likely in 5th.

Agree what you said (in the longer post) tcj - apart from Richards/Dunne being good enough for a top 4/5 team. Dunne is slow and past it now. Richards has gone rubbish since he signed his big contract (view from my City fan mates).

I honestly hand on heart wouldn't take him back above Sam.

Me either. Sam was brought in with us 5 points adrift from safety as Christmas, he made us harder to beat, we started scoring and performing as a unit and survived.

I prefer big Sam as a person too after speaking to him 2 or 3 times whilst over for 3 days for the Brom game.

Fair enough, I must admit that Richards has gone off the boil this last season or two, while City did concede a lot of goals last season.

On Hughes, I wouldn't take him back on the basis that Sam is doing such a good job. However, I'd prefer to watch a successful Hughes side over a successful Allardyce one.

Fair enough, I must admit that Richards has gone off the boil this last season or two, while City did concede a lot of goals last season.

On Hughes, I wouldn't take him back on the basis that Sam is doing such a good job. However, I'd prefer to watch a successful Hughes side over a successful Allardyce one.

Well that all depends on how sucessful Big Sam is? Give the man a chance. So far, so good! :closedeyes:

give the guy(BS) a chance to build a team of his own first, then see if that statment is the same i hoping you change you mind in the next 12 months.....

I'd have Hughes back tomorrow

Think you'd be one of not very many. He was good for us while he was here but since he's gone, all the things that endeared him to you are annoying faults. It's no good going back. We've got what we've got now and whilst some of us may not be very hapy, it's not going to change so we might as well stop harking back to the Hughes era.

Archived