BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

Rothen "I had an average and inconsistent season"

He'll fit right in then.

Zurab has apparently joined Gala for £2.3 million...

Despite that fact that £2.3m wouldn't buy a decent players right arm in today's market, if true, you have to say that's a good bit of business. A shame because I liked Zurab, he never let us down at centre half. Was never going to get much of a game though was he?

I think this leaves us with three centre halves. A chance for the Gavin Gunning to step and / or may Ben Ten Haim be coming in?

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He'll fit right in then.

Despite that fact that £2.3m wouldn't buy a decent players right arm in today's market, if true, you have to say that's a good bit of business. A shame because I liked Zurab, he never let us down at centre half. Was never going to get much of a game though was he?

I think this leaves us with three centre halves. A chance for the Gavin Gunning to step and / or may Ben Ten Haim be coming in?

You'd have to also think that with Ooijer and Zurab going there's now no chance Warnock will go, as even if Givet doesn't start at Left Back, he's still at the very least our first choice reserve Centre Half.

May sound like common sense I know but a lot of people were still speculating until recently that we couldn't have Givet and Warnock in the same team.

I remember a similar comment when Sam signed Campo from Real, a poor Centre back who became a decent holding midfielder at Bolton!!

Yes, Sam is a decent judge on a player and like you I trust him!!

We could do with him finding another just the same. I don't give stuff if he looks like a circus clown too!

Zurab has apparently joined Gala for £2.3 million...

Bentley is in talks with Villa: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...ning-Villa.html

Has O'Neill no faith in James Milner?

Its just one final contribution from Zurab, in keeping with the excellent professional attitude he's always had throughout his career, in particular at Rovers.

He's been an excellent servant to the club, hope he gets a regular game and goes from strength to strength at Gala.

Busy down at ewood this time it looks like eh:

Already out: Mokoena, Ooijer, Tugay, Simpson, Villanueva, Kane

Could be leaving soon: Zurab (£2.2m), Derbs (£4m), RSC (£15-18m) - Total of £21-24m

Possible leavers: Brown, Gallagher, Judge

In: Elrio (Free), Givet (£3.5m), young greek keeper (£50k + 30% sell on)

Di Franco lined up, several players set for trials, new right back & striker targetted aswell as midfielders.

start of season midfield minus emo for a few months

diouf-----someone better than grella---rothen--------warnock--------pedersen

then come october'ish

diouf--------emo---------rothen-----------someone better than grella and warnock--------pedersen

with a bench with/ if not injured reid, dunn,grella,warnock,south african fella who potentially seems another rigters.......probably about a 10 percent chance they are all fit at the same time so another 2 midfielders this window would be good

egyptian right winger on as a sub prior to getting sent off looked a bit special, have we not been linked before as i could see why

Why is Warnock (one of our best players) suddenly on the bench in October. And why would we have 4 midfielders on the bench? Oh and why is the new south african player suddenly a potential rigters. Have you seen him play for rovers yet?

Busy down at ewood this time it looks like eh:

Already out: Mokoena, Ooijer, Tugay, Simpson, Villanueva, Kane

Could be leaving soon: Zurab (£2.2m), Derbs (£4m), RSC (£15-18m) - Total of £21-24m

Possible leavers: Brown, Gallagher, Judge

In: Elrio (Free), Givet (£3.5m), young greek keeper (£50k + 30% sell on)

Di Franco lined up, several players set for trials, new right back & striker targetted aswell as midfielders.

I wonder how much of that 21 - 24m Sam will have to spend after RSC, agents and the bank have taken their cut <_<

lets not forget Eddie's agenda though, which is to undermine the manager at every opportunity.

Edidie gave a favourable review on the 'new Viera' did he not, on Rothen hes probably right as hes probably seen a lot more of Rothem than Big Sams scouts.

Surely there must be a decent player at City, we could get as part of the deal. I know people dont like cash plus player deals, but is the lad Johnson injured? I think he is the midfielder at City. He was described as a good prospect a while back. So RSC for 15mill plus i think its Michael Johnson?

Why is Warnock (one of our best players) suddenly on the bench in October. And why would we have 4 midfielders on the bench? Oh and why is the new south african player suddenly a potential rigters. Have you seen him play for rovers yet?

as i would'nt drop nelsen, samba or givet...............and watching the awful standard of south african football the other day, and the fact that moko came here from belgium as well......the omens tell me not to expect much, i honestly had higher hopes for rigters coming here on the back of the u21 tourny

Guest benmaxwell
Surely there must be a decent player at City, we could get as part of the deal. I know people dont like cash plus player deals, but is the lad Johnson injured? I think he is the midfielder at City. He was described as a good prospect a while back. So RSC for 15mill plus i think its Michael Johnson?

Would rather have Nedum Onuoha for RB or Felipe Caicedo for upfront.

Their was talk of Johnson retiring a couple of weeks back. When that kind of talk happens, you know it best to stay away! :lol:

as i would'nt drop nelsen, samba or givet...............and watching the awful standard of south african football the other day, and the fact that moko came here from belgium as well......the omens tell me not to expect much, i honestly had higher hopes for rigters coming here on the back of the u21 tourny

So you didnt think Moko did a good job when he helped us avoid relegation? You watched one SA game, where Elrio didnt play and you think he is rubbish? Rigters did well, there were many clubs in for him. Its a pity things didnt work out, but thats the risk you take on players.

Would rather have Nedum Onuoha for RB or Felipe Caicedo for upfront.

Their was talk of Johnson retiring a couple of weeks back. When that kind of talk happens, you know it best to stay away! :lol:

I never knew about him retiring. Is this due to an injury?

lets not forget Eddie's agenda though, which is to undermine the manager at every opportunity.

None of my player reviews have anything to do with my opinion of the manager, just the player. Rothen is the 4th or 5th player based in France that we have been linked with this summer and I believe he is the first one I've given a negative review to. He just isn't very good and will add nothing significant to our squad.

If we want to look at left midfielders based in France who are available and worth a gamble then we should look at Obertan at Bordeaux. He's vying for a move away and after being loaned out in January is probably still surplus to requirements in a very talented Bordeaux midfield. He's a central midfielder who has impressed out wide. 20 years old, tall, quick, two-footed, creative and a good dribbler. He's a player we should look at.

Im not always in agreement with Eddie, but he does know alot about French football and players. I like Rothen, and despite his age im convinced he can do a job for us. Reality is, again we dont have money. Players like Rothen will provide more experience, and its players like these that we will sign. Can we afford to blow 10mill pounds on 1 player? If we do and the player turns out rubbish, then we could find ourselves in a heap of trouble. We have to be sensible, and that is right now we have to continue getting players in that will at least be an improvement on what we currently have.

If we want to look at left midfielders based in France who are available and worth a gamble then we should look at Obertan at Bordeaux. He's vying for a move away and after being loaned out in January is probably still surplus to requirements in a very talented Bordeaux midfield.

Why is he surplus to requirements Eddie? Is the Bordeaux midfield that good, and if so are any of their other players being linked to bigger clubs?

Eddie: I must admit I haven't seen much of Rothen in the last few years, but I always thought he was a brilliant player before that. He's not very dynamic but he does have great quality on the ball.

Do you not think he'd be a good Tugay replacement in that sense? Even if he isn't starting every game he could be brought on as a central playmaker if we're trying to change the game. I'm sure that's the role Sam will have in mind for him rather than the left wing, although he could always cover there if needs be obviously.

None of my player reviews have anything to do with my opinion of the manager, just the player. Rothen is the 4th or 5th player based in France that we have been linked with this summer and I believe he is the first one I've given a negative review to. He just isn't very good and will add nothing significant to our squad.

If we want to look at left midfielders based in France who are available and worth a gamble then we should look at Obertan at Bordeaux. He's vying for a move away and after being loaned out in January is probably still surplus to requirements in a very talented Bordeaux midfield. He's a central midfielder who has impressed out wide. 20 years old, tall, quick, two-footed, creative and a good dribbler. He's a player we should look at.

Obertan was in fact on loan at lorient - my team - and looked very good. He's also scored against our under 21s for France. Made a difference to Lorient's season when he came in in Jan. Strong and skilful

Bordeaux won the French league and have just bought gourcouf, French player of the year, after having him on loan for a year, so yes their midfield is that good.

I can think of another player who is slow, can't dribble, can't tackle, can't head the ball, but can pick a pass, who did pretty well for England the other day - a certain Mr Beckham!!

Also Wagstaff was past it, but what a difference he made with his passing and intelligent play!

Why is he surplus to requirements Eddie? Is the Bordeaux midfield that good, and if so are any of their other players being linked to bigger clubs?

Bordeaux has produced a great number of young players in recent years and have also done really well at bringing in players from abroad (and not just French colonies), which has really allowed them to develop as a club. They've got a lot of talent there and it should be a club that teams in the Premier League should seriously look at. He thrived in a 4-4-2 when out on loan, but Bordeaux like to play a 4-3-3 and there isn't room for him in that. I think he could still do well in a 4-3-3 given his pace and size and good touch (he must be around 6'1).

Eddie: I must admit I haven't seen much of Rothen in the last few years, but I always thought he was a brilliant player before that. He's not very dynamic but he does have great quality on the ball.

Do you not think he'd be a good Tugay replacement in that sense? Even if he isn't starting every game he could be brought on as a central playmaker if we're trying to change the game. I'm sure that's the role Sam will have in mind for him rather than the left wing, although he could always cover there if needs be obviously.

Rothen has always struggled against good opposition when he has played centrally. The vast majority of his good performances have come out wide. He's a bit like a less talented version of Beckham: good delivery and passing and good at free kicks. What he doesn't have is Beckham's work ethic and drive, or even MGP's work ethic. That would make a wide player, or even central player, with his pace struggle. He simply doesn't have the first touch and ability required to slip into Tugay's role. He would be caught in possession too often and would be hurried. Tugay is a rarity in that his lack of physical ability was more than covered by such technical gifts, looking for a slow replacement for him is asking for trouble.

If I had to draw comparisons to Rovers signings in recent years it would be De Pedro. Just how often do 30+ wingers come into this league and make an impact?

I can think of another player who is slow, can't dribble, can't tackle, can't head the ball, but can pick a pass, who did pretty well for England the other day - a certain Mr Beckham!!

Also Wagstaff was past it, but what a difference he made with his passing and intelligent play!

See my post above.

Are we still looking at Tchite? Maybe Sam should have a go at Mamadou Niang, tall striker and can score goals. I still have a feeling, that Cisse might be looked at as well.

Archived