BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you get all your newspaper reports from messageboards?

Come again?

What do you mean?

The Kenwyne Jones tale that I mentioned here before doing extra work before writing it in my day job?

The van der Meyde tale that I first wrote in May before finding out it was back on yesterday? Fair play to the poster here who wrote it first months ago which I admit I laughed at when I first saw.

Or the Pancrate tale that I broke in the paper on Monday?

Sorry, but wasn't it this time last year when Nicko was slating Jones as a "central defender turned striker"?

He is not exactly my cup of tea...but he seems to be the manager's which is really all that matters when it comes to reality.

Sorry, but wasn't it this time last year when Nicko was slating Jones as a "central defender turned striker"?

I like Jones as a player, very awkward for defenders to deal with.

A bit like that other central defender turned striker Chris Sutton.

Come again?

What do you mean?

The Kenwyne Jones tale that I mentioned here before doing extra work before writing it in my day job?

The van der Meyde tale that I first wrote in May before finding out it was back on yesterday? Fair play to the poster here who wrote it first months ago which I admit I laughed at when I first saw.

He is not exactly my cup of tea...but he seems to be the manager's which is really all that matters when it comes to reality.

Views on the Bent links? Sam being cute?

Come again?

What do you mean?

Heard that you and Sunderland are trying to agree some sort of deal which would see them getting Darren Bent without Blackburn bidding, thus allowing Blackburn to get Jones.

Nicko

Was it you who wrote the article about Newcastle getting Vialli in the mirror?

It was all a wind up started on a message board can't believe how far it got. :lol:

OK I understand that point. I don't see other clubs in our position losing players because of these clauses. Maybe they don't believe in them.

Do you [or anyone else] get the point that these clauses take the destiny of the player completely out of our hands?

Should have put this in it's own topic, because it's interesting to hear views on it. I think that maybe we're becoming a bit too accepting that this is the way to go.

The concept of the "clause" was a good one when Duff was around because it was set at a level no-one could realistically match prior to Abramovich unexpectedly breezing in out of nowhere and raising the bar. But for that unforseen event we'd have held onto the player. A similar comparison now would be giving Samba a get out clause of 35m.

Since then unfortunately these sort of deals seem to have become the norm rather than the exception for us and as Den says there's little point in inserting a clause at a level other clubs can match as it takes the player's destiny out of our control.

Going back to RSC I have to repeat what I've said earlier, we should have known EXACTLY what it would cost to replace RSC with a player of similar age and calibre and if we couldn't afford it, he shouldn't have been sold. I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise despite Tash's histrionics on the issue.

I think it is just a name being thrown out there...

Sunderland have more money than Rovers both for a fee and in wages. So you won't win that battle. Sam knows that.

Then there is the player - and his wife - and whether they would like to leave London, which applies to both clubs involved.

Bent would be a great signing, provided we can afford his wages. He would provide much needed pace in attack, and the guy has scored goals wherever he's been, but lost his way at Spurs (an all too familiar tale).

I would choose him ahead of Jones.

Nicko

Was it you who wrote the article about Newcastle getting Vialli in the mirror?

It was all a wind up started on a message board can't believe how far it got. :lol:

There were details in there that only people inside the club know about - like the exact size of the deal, the debt, the overdraft etc.

I was shocked that so many people heard the same thing last evening...including people connected to the club and over in Ireland with the team.

Vialli was a surprise to me, but the other content of the 'tale' being put round the north east included some very accurate info.

I checked back this morning to see if it was a wind-up and my original source told me who told him...and it came from a member of staff at the Toon before it hit any messageboard.

The trouble is that there are a lot of lies being told up there by all parties just now because the club and a lot of money is at stake. So we will just have to wait and see.

I think it is just a name being thrown out there...

Sunderland have more money than Rovers both for a fee and in wages. So you won't win that battle. Sam knows that.

Then there is the player - and his wife - and whether they would like to leave London, which applies to both clubs involved.

Well, we could win on the location side of things - Sunderland is rather grey, bleak and dull ! and to be honets the location of Manchester/Liverpool close by in the North West may not be too much of a change in climate from London !

i take it the possibility of us signing both Bents and Jones is completlely out of the water ? or would we be able to stretch to both if it was a possibility - and we could deal for them at 8 - 10 mill each ?

i see Sunderland linked with Mido and Campbell, so was just wondering if they don`t actually go for Bent.

I have just read the local paper story which collapses in a heap at this point...

Sunderland were understood to have been close to an £8million deal for Bent last season and it is believed a figure in that region again would be enough to capture the services of the England striker.

Spurs want £18 million...so if anyone thinls that £8 million is buying him they need their nuts reading.

Media divided,half have us going for Jones when Sunderland land Bent, rest have us hi-jacking Bent from under Sunderland's nose!. I know which I believe.

Aye, we'll refuse to pay the going rate for decent options like Bent or Jones and end up paying way over the odds in the hope of squeezing another season or two out of Davies.

I've said before Bent would be a very good choice. Right age and excellent career stats even at Spuds.

Don't we have a Kenwyne Jones in Jason Roberts??? A threat to defenses, but can't shoot on target... :wacko:

No we don`t - Jones is a better finisher than Roberts, and is quite a bit younger and more athletic. Roberts is powerful, and struggles to finish when he has too much time to think about it. when he relies on instinct or puts his foot through it, he has more success.

Would be very happy to have either Bent or Jones at Ewood for the start of the season - they would both improve our 1st team

i see Sunderland linked with Mido and Campbell, so was just wondering if they don`t actually go for Bent.

It's an awful long way to fall from Bent and Crouch to Mido and Campbell...Sunderland have money and a manager with much more ambition that that.

I just wish clubs like Sunderland & Spurs would get on with things and then the market will become abit more open, and a few more players should start coming available.

Why are they moving so slow?!

Man City have not finished. It is not just their money but Citeh's methods have totally poisoned the market.

Then all the clubs know Chelsea have £40m+ yet to be spent so can blow anyone except City away and there is an assumption (wrongly?) that Ferguson could move with a big offer.

Spurs are fooling about trying to get £18m for Bent, £12m for Bentley, £10m for Huddlestone etc and getting £8.65m for Zokora means they are going to wait and hang tough.

Sunderland have serious money but don't want to be ripped off.

Villa see lack of value in the market combined with O'Neill's legendary hesitancy.

Liverpool and Everton have financial issues they are working through before they can participate, if at all.

At the other end of the market, selling Johnson avoided an immediate firesale at Pompey and West Ham are critical but stable financially.

Everyone else is sandwiched by the inertia of the people who could make the market move. Even in Europe a lot is oon hold until Real and Barca have done what they think they have to do.

No we don`t - Jones is a better finisher than Roberts, and is quite a bit younger and more athletic. Roberts is powerful, and struggles to finish when he has too much time to think about it. when he relies on instinct or puts his foot through it, he has more success.

Would be very happy to have either Bent or Jones at Ewood for the start of the season - they would both improve our 1st team

Yeah I agree that either of these 2 would be great for us.

Just wondering, do we only have £13m to spend or is that what we have from the Cruz sale? Had we not sold Cruz would we have had no transfer funds at all (after Givet signing)?

Seems hard to believe that we would spend all 13m on one player if this was the case, surely there must be more available if Sam can justify spending it correctly.

The biggest difference between Jones and Roberts is in the air. For a big guy Roberts is useless at heading, whereas Jones has a massive leap (probably from his athletics days) and has pretty good accuracy too.

Archived