BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

Anyway, still thinking how on earth we sold 2 strikers and are supposedly struggling to replace them. I was under the impression according to 'i think Nicko' apologies if it wasnt you Mr Nixon, but Sam would only let them leave if he had somebody lined up. Or was it just if Derbs left, but no strikers has arrived.

That is what Sam told the Derbyshire camp...but that stance changed only a couple of weeks later...I think the Greek money became too good to refuse.

Of course, there could be another explanation.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Get-out clauses can often persuade bigger "stars" to come to smaller clubs, because they know that at the right price they'll be allowed to go to a bigger club, should they manage to perform well. Would Bellamy have come here without the clause? Would Santa Cruz have signed his new deal without his? Sometimes a club of our size has to include that type of clause to get or keep a player, just the way it is.

This is correct - I don't intend to be involved in an argument for arguments sake on this issue. It is for me essential for our future success that we can attract ambitious talented players and I genuinely believe that this is one way that we can do so............................

My housemate is a Toon fan. Reckons that Malaysians have been shown around twice but they're not offering as much as Ashley would like and the tours are just a media exercise to pressure Shepherd and some Americans in to putting a serious bid in.

Very little known about the takeover up here though (I live in Newcastle for the record!)

I think it may be closer than thought...and the Malaysians have been over...although the Toon made sure everyone knew that.

I do recall one manager stating that he decides on the players he wants and JW does the negotiating, then the manager speaks to the player when some kind of dealis Ok!!

Woy Hodgson said that when he was trying to explain why £7 mill for Davies, £4.5mill for Blake and £5mill for Dailly was not his fault.

This is correct - I don't intend to be involved in an argument for arguments sake on this issue. It is for me essential for our future success that we can attract ambitious talented players and I genuinely believe that this is one way that we can do so............................

OK I understand that point. I don't see other clubs in our position losing players because of these clauses. Maybe they don't believe in them.

Do you [or anyone else] get the point that these clauses take the destiny of the player completely out of our hands?

Should have put this in it's own topic, because it's interesting to hear views on it. I think that maybe we're becoming a bit too accepting that this is the way to go.

I think if people wanna see how hard it is to sign decent players for reasonable money, you only have to look at Spurs selling Zokora for.......£8M (apparently)

Unbelievable !!

Also been reading about Villa turning down a bid for big JC from Spurs. Thank Gawd for that !!!!

Is he now a striker? Has he become taller? If you answer yes to both, then he might interest Sam

Well I hope that Sam isn't exclusively looking at strikers. We still have a large hole in our central midfield that needs filling.

Whilst the need for a striker is the top priority I am sure Sam can multi task and think about Maniche. Mind you he probably already has.

That is what Sam told the Derbyshire camp...but that stance changed only a couple of weeks later...I think the Greek money became too good to refuse.

Of course, there could be another explanation.

3m was considered too good to refuse? whoever`s in charge of valuations of our players needs their head examining. chopra 6m, frazier richardson valued at 7m yet derbyshire(with more u21 caps than both) at 3m? we were conned AGAIN. even opposition fans have been on roversmad to express their shock at us first letting him go, and second for a ridiculous low fee.

3m was considered too good to refuse? whoever`s in charge of valuations of our players needs their head examining. chopra 6m, frazier richardson valued at 7m yet derbyshire(with more u21 caps than both) at 3m? we were conned AGAIN. even opposition fans have been on roversmad to express their shock at us first letting him go, and second for a ridiculous low fee.

Conned? £3m + add-ons + 30% sell on (potentially at least another £1.5m).

Didnt Chopra go the other day for £4m? Campbell is a better player and younger?

Derbyshire wasnt up to the level needed to be in the starting 11 of a premier league club - face facts.

Woy Hodgson said that when he was trying to explain why £7 mill for Davies, £4.5mill for Blake and £5mill for Dailly was not his fault.

There have been suggestions and insinuations that Woy did not have all that much control over who came in and for what price and not just from Woy. Whatever the truth...the record of players bought in the five or so years from our title win up to the appointment of Souness was truly abysmal.

Do you [or anyone else] get the point that these clauses take the destiny of the player completely out of our hands?

Absolutely - but thats already the case. There's not one of our players whose destiny is in our hands. If a bigger club came in for any of our squad, we would lose them. Its really that simple.

Yeah, I don't get why people are anti get-out clauses.

Take Damien Duff as an example. He was playing well enough to persuade Chelsea to shell out 18 mill for him. If there hadn't have been a sell-out clause we wouldn't have had a bargaining piece buut he'd have gone anyway, but for less.

The clause is there, that if a player's playing so phenomenally well that we have no chance of holding onto him, then we get a decent price for him. There's an acknowledgement taht we can't hope to keep hold of players who are playing well enough to be coveted by teams with far more cash than us.

Bellamy is an unusual case cos he demanded a low buy-out clause. But if we hadn't have put that clause in he wouldn't have signed, so what can you do? He doesn't stay anywhere long and we made a small profit.

Take Damien Duff as an example. He was playing well enough to persuade Chelsea to shell out 18 mill for him. If there hadn't have been a sell-out clause we wouldn't have had a bargaining piece buut he'd have gone anyway, but for less.

Doesn't that go towards the prosecution case Bryan. Chelsea met the Duff clause as he was boarding the flight to America for the pre season. Without the get out clause that wouldn't have happened.

The clause is there, that if a player's playing so phenomenally well that we have no chance of holding onto him, then we get a decent price for him.

Does a clause affect a buying clubs valuation?

My housemate is a Toon fan. Reckons that Malaysians have been shown around twice but they're not offering as much as Ashley would like and the tours are just a media exercise to pressure Shepherd and some Americans in to putting a serious bid in.

Very little known about the takeover up here though (I live in Newcastle for the record!)

The person I know in the club reckons the Americans are favourites, but no-one there really knows to much about it.

In the office they hear that Shearer will have a £30m transfer budget and Beckford will be first signing and Frazer Campbell would prefer St James than the KC.

Also Martins and Colo the Clown are first out the door as the interest rates on the purchase payments are stupidly high.

I don't know if it changes their valuation, but at the same time, Rover can completely stay OUT of the valuation game, and simply say, the price is X million, pay or go home.

Without a clause, you also allow for more game playing. Imagine the Roque situation if there were no clause? If he failed to play, his price dropps, more clubs might get interested, since the risk is lessened... Our choice would have been to hang onto a not playing wantaway sicknote, or cash in for what we can get.

In some cases a clause does steal any control we have... but some times having a set price also steals any wiggle room the PLAYER has to force a move.

In our case, I can see us using clauses to bring in young talented "up and comers" or "redemption projects" needing a chance to prove themselves in the prem. Sort of a "come here, play well, and the big clubs can come get you whenever they want" incentive. And as long as the cluase prices are set well, if triggered, we got 1-2 seasons of a great player and a profit. Good business for the club.

I don't know if it changes their valuation, but at the same time, Rover can completely stay OUT of the valuation game, and simply say, the price is X million, pay or go home.

Rovers can say that with, or without a clause USRoverME.

There's nothing much more I can say really. It grinds me that we're allowing players to leave at the whim of other clubs and I only see it happening at Ewood.

No-one else seems to agree, so I'll concede and leave it there. :D

Hi Nicko,

Any chance of Tuncay being Rovers' new striker?

I don't think so, the fee and the wages are too high and he's not really the out-and-out striker Sam wants...

Good player all the same.

Archived