BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kenwyne Jones

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fair enough, I'm not a Sunderland expert, but know a reasonable amount due to my sunderland mates. Hmm Peds probably does edge it over Reid but only just. As for the others look out for Givet and Emerton in particular. Givet is one of the best readers of the game, and Emerton was pre injury (we'll see how he comes back) one of the most athletic right backs you would see. His excellent constant overlaps from right backs give the team an extra dimension in attack and gives the right midfielder a heck of a lot more space.

Btw what do you think of Campbell as a signing? Wouldn't be too happy with it myself, don't think he's £6 million worth of talent.

I havnt really seen Givet play much, used to be decent on footy manager though :lol:

Apparently Campbell will cost 3.5m rising to 5m depending on appearance etc. Im quite happy with it but not overly excited. Hes only signed as third choice so its a big improvement on Healy/Chopra but we'll have to wait and see how he does.

and whilst your on here lol, can i ask if Ricky Sbragia is still involved with sunderland in any capacity because it seems Sam is wanting him to link back up with him here

Ricky has been offered the Head scout role mate, not sure if hes gunna stay after his disastrous mangement spell i think he wants a clean break. Decent coach if you get him but hopeless manager.

Ricky has been offered the Head scout role mate, not sure if hes gunna stay after his disastrous mangement spell i think he wants a clean break. Decent coach if you get him but hopeless manager.

cheers it seems Sam rated him highly as a coach when they were at Bolton together too

Surely he wasnt as hopeless as a manager as Paul Ince :lol:

No matter what you say, what links you come up with, what ITK journo's post here...I can say with 100% confidence than Kenwyne Jones will not be signing for Blackburn for £8m next season. It just doesn't make sense on any level whatsoever. Maybe if you double that valuation and we get both Crouch and Bent. Maybe but I still think there'd be "bigger" clubs than Blackburn in for him if that was the case.

Maybe even a club as big as Birmingham City?

cheers it seems Sam rated him highly as a coach when they were at Bolton together too

Surely he wasnt as hopeless as a manager as Paul Ince :lol:

Keane seemed to rate him as a coach too and he has a good repuation in the game. I dont know, Ricky was awful. He was so negative, all he used to say in his interviews was that he hopes they can scrape a point. Away at West Brom he said he would be delighted with a point and tried to sit back against bottom of the league and we lost 3-0. He even said after 1 game that as soon as the other team went 1-0 he knew the game was over and went to 4-5-1 to avoid a hammering <_<

Also didn't Sabriga win a large amount of reserve leagues with Sunderland. That suggests he has some nous for developing players and tactics. Saying he was a hopeless manager is a tad harsh - it takes utter ineptitude like Ince to fall into that category.

Think Sabriga would be a good addition to the rovers coaching set up - there are loads of great coaches who don't cut it as managers - and think we've a good chance of getting him. I can understand Sabriga wanting to get a clean break from Sunderland. Must be wierd going from boss back to assistant.

Also didn't Sabriga win a large amount of reserve leagues with Sunderland. That suggests he has some nous for developing players and tactics. Saying he was a hopeless manager is a tad harsh - it takes utter ineptitude like Ince to fall into that category.

Think Sabriga would be a good addition to the rovers coaching set up - there are loads of great coaches who don't cut it as managers - and think we've a good chance of getting him. I can understand Sabriga wanting to get a clean break from Sunderland. Must be wierd going from boss back to assistant.

He was far too soft and the players took advantadge. For example, Keane would fine the players for turning up late for training meeting etc. When Ricky came in he gave them the money back that they were fined. Sends out totally the wrong message.

Yes he won the reserve league a few times when he was in charge of our reserves. Was then headhunted by Ferguson to go to Man Utd and took charge of their reserves. Hes apparently a really good cocah just terrible manager.

Apparently Campbell will cost 3.5m rising to 5m depending on appearance etc. Im quite happy with it but not overly excited. Hes only signed as third choice so its a big improvement on Healy/Chopra but we'll have to wait and see how he does.

Oh right so man utd would rather have a clause related £5m than the £6m reported in the hull story. Hmm sure. Over paid for an average if not poor player.

Oh right so man utd would rather have a clause related £5m than the £6m reported in the hull story. Hmm sure. Over paid for an average if not poor player.

Hull's bid was related to them staying in the premiership. Also, Campbell wanted to join Sunderland so we had some bargaining power there as well as Bruce relationship with Ferguson.

I havnt really seen Givet play much, used to be decent on footy manager though :lol:

Campbell's a good player - he'd do an average PL club like Sunderland a good turn. He'd do well for us but we don't seem to be in for him, I still think that Davies will end up playing for us next season. Sad times.

As for Sbragia - meh.

To illustrate how these passionate fans walk away from their club, THIS shows how they can lose 20,000 fans pretty much overnight.

If you're looking for fans that stick with their club through thick and thin, then look elsewhere - Man City for example, who still sold out their ground at 30,000 even in the old third division.

Did he not keep you up?? Given the circumstances it could have been much worse for you guys. Sbragia is highly rated and you do him a diservice he was less "hopeless" than at least three other managers last year. If I was a Sunderland fan I'd have a bit more gratitude towards Ricky. But if thats what you guys think of him, then happy days he's more than welcome at Ewood.

PS

The real Big Four:

Arsenal

Manchester United

Chelsea

Blackburn Rovers

The only teams ever to win the premiership.

If you really think Jones will go to Blackburn for £8m then you are deluded or know nothing about football.

We turned down a £20m bid from Spurs for him in January, he then signed a new contract on £50k a week - why would we sell 6 months later for £8m? He may not be worth £20m but still...we bought him for £6m as an unproven Championship striker ffs. Only £2m profit? I don't think so.

And if he was to become available for transfer (i.e. if we get both Bent and Crouch) then there will be bigger clubs than Blackburn in for him I think - no offence.

Give me a definition of a 'Big Club' a club with money? a club with lots of support? a club with a big name from the past, ie, Leeds, Sunderland, Newcastle,

Notts Forest, Derby County etc etc.

There are only,in my opinion four big clubs, Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona and AC Milan, the rest just think they are big clubs!

even Burnley do now they have sold 17,000 season tickets.

Give me a definition of a 'Big Club' a club with money? a club with lots of support? a club with a big name from the past, ie, Leeds, Sunderland, Newcastle,

Notts Forest, Derby County etc etc.

There are only,in my opinion four big clubs, Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona and AC Milan, the rest just think they are big clubs!

even Burnley do now they have sold 17,000 season tickets.

I think there are big clubs and then there are "super" clubs

I think Inter, Bayern and Juventus might be a litte miffed with your list

Back on topic, Sunderland need to get rid, can see him flopping this year, they might as well take our money and let us deal with his dodgy knee. ;)

If you really think Jones will go to Blackburn for £8m then you are deluded or know nothing about football.

We turned down a £20m bid from Spurs for him in January, he then signed a new contract on £50k a week - why would we sell 6 months later for £8m? He may not be worth £20m but still...we bought him for £6m as an unproven Championship striker ffs. Only £2m profit? I don't think so.

And if he was to become available for transfer (i.e. if we get both Bent and Crouch) then there will be bigger clubs than Blackburn in for him I think - no offence.

This is a fair point. I would be amazed if he went for 8 million. I suppose we might, if we threw everything at it, be able to get together 12m, But jones would have to want to come here, plus he is on massive wages and has a poor injury record...

I can't see this transfer happening unless the management at Sunderland fall out with the player and decide to sell cheap a la Bellamy when he came from Newcastle - or actually Diouf in Jan come to think of it.

That we are even sniffing around him at the moment suggests that something is going on though. Sam wouldn't be looking if he thinks that we don't have a chance?

If Jones plays for small club Sunderland then a step to the mighty Rovers is a Step up - No offence or anything, its just the truth!

Throughout my lifetime, the size of a clubs support defines whether or not it is big club.

We have never been a big club. Sunderland have and still are.

Size of the Support? So Chelsea are not really that big of a club then? Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, City, Sunderland & Newcastle are all bigger??

I think your confusing size of the support with size of the teams ground.

Throughout my lifetime, the size of a clubs support defines whether or not it is big club.

We have never been a big club. Sunderland have and still are.

Sunderland confuse me though. They get 40k some of the time and 20k some of the time. It seems to vary massively - much more than any other team that have had a mixed recent record (Sheffield Utd, West brom, Man City, West Ham etc.) It seems to be a North East thing - Boro's crowds yoyo a lot too....

I was actualy shocked when Nicko said we were in for him. In fact, when somebody suggested the name and Nicko confirmed it, I thought he was being sarcastic and having a joke, because we clearly had no chance of getting him.

I'm warming more and more to Jones. I actually think that he would be a quality signing and would be prepared to spend upwards of £8m now. However, I cannot see him going for anything less than £12m, and that's presuming he were even available - which I don't think he is. I don't doubt that Sam had him on the list, I just think that he was wrong in presuming that he might be available.

Im using the capacity yes, but Chelsea isnt a sell-out every week, Newcastle is usually 95% full at 55,000 - where are all the fans from Chelsea then??

The real Chelsea fans are probably priced out of going to be honest.

Archived